Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dawgstar posted:

What did they eventually start calling it in Exalted? Paranoia combat?

Last page called it a Paranoia Combo, so close enough. There was a lot of discussion of it, the bad lessons learned from it, and the lack of balance associated with it.

Edit: New page snipe, so um, two pages ago now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm really looking forward to running Dragon-Blooded, or playing as one.

I've been running a DB game for a year and change and it's been a lot of fun. The main mechanical thing to keep in mind when compared to a Solar game is the way the Aura mechanic constrains your ability to stack all your charms into a wombo combo - a lot of stuff that looks like it'd be really strong if you don't have the Aura mechanics in the back of your head at all times turns out not to work, either because of the built-in mutual-exclusivity or because of things like the rule where at bonfire anima you can only be in your Aspect Aura.

e: I would go so far as to say that's my main complaint with 3e as it stands. Not so much that any given rule system is too much (though a lot of them are seriously undercooked, as you know all too well) but that they add up to this Arkham Horror-like situation where no matter how long you play or how attentive you are, you are always forgetting at least one rule relevant to the current scene.

Attorney at Funk fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 30, 2021

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Attorney at Funk posted:

I've been running a DB game for a year and change and it's been a lot of fun. The main mechanical thing to keep in mind when compared to a Solar game is the way the Aura mechanic constrains your ability to stack all your charms into a wombo combo - a lot of stuff that looks like it'd be really strong if you don't have the Aura mechanics in the back of your head at all times turns out not to work, either because of the built-in mutual-exclusivity or because of things like the rule where at bonfire anima you can only be in your Aspect Aura.

e: I would go so far as to say that's my main complaint with 3e as it stands. Not so much that any given rule system is too much (though a lot of them are seriously undercooked, as you know all too well) but that they add up to this Arkham Horror-like situation where no matter how long you play or how attentive you are, you are always forgetting at least one rule relevant to the current scene.

Personally I'm a fan of Aura in concept; I see how it could be a little mechanically finnicky, but the basic idea is really cool.

Also, just to check - when you're at bonfire, you can still use charms of other elements, you just don't get Aura from them, right?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Personally I'm a fan of Aura in concept; I see how it could be a little mechanically finnicky, but the basic idea is really cool.

Also, just to check - when you're at bonfire, you can still use charms of other elements, you just don't get Aura from them, right?

Yeah, which of course locks you out of charms with, say, Duration: Aura or whatever, but it doesn't lock out charms with off-element tags entirely.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

CitizenKeen posted:

One of my favorite types of books is books of essays on writing. I don't care about about whole books by one author, because they're rarely good (see, e.g., Save the Cat), but collections of essays are good.

I wish there were more books by a collection of authors on game design, what makes games good. Like lumpley or the Cortex Hackers guide but writ large.

Have you seen any of the Kobold Guide series of books? I picked up a few of them in various book bundles over the years, I thought they were pretty interesting.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Edit: wrong thread

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
What the gently caress is this?
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1356641032226680832?s=20

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

I don't feel like I have the authority to comment on anyone's fursona, and even less authority to comment on someone's puppetsona.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fraggle Rack

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

GreenMetalSun posted:

I don't feel like I have the authority to comment on anyone's fursona, and even less authority to comment on someone's puppetsona.

Especially considering that this is pure actor creative control.

https://twitter.com/TheJovenshire/status/1356660616090411008?s=19

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

SkyeAuroline posted:

Resurrecting the Dragonborn Boobs debate, SMH.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Busty Muppet is a great tavern name.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Olivia Hill just published her RPG budget calculator. I haven't checked it in detail but I've given it a quick once-over and it looks solid.

E: I've looked at it in more detail and it is solid.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1356751282799661057?s=19

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 3, 2021

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Not gonna lie, I wish I had a dungeon-themed RPG room and a shitload of puppets (instead of just a garbage bag full of puppets)

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'll admit it's not a choice I would have made, but the people losing their minds going, 'HOW CAN I LET MY CHILDREN SEE THIS!? IS THERE NO GOD!?' are being a weirder than the puppet lady is.

Your children will have to go outside and interact with other humans eventually, and when they do, they will find that there is a non-zero number of women with C - D cup breasts. They may as well get over it now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'll admit it's not a choice I would have made, but the people losing their minds going, 'HOW CAN I LET MY CHILDREN SEE THIS!? IS THERE NO GOD!?' are being a weirder than the puppet lady is.

Your children will have to go outside and interact with other humans eventually, and when they do, they will find that there is a non-zero number of women with C - D cup breasts. They may as well get over it now.

It's a walking (hand floating?) boob joke puppet. This isn't the same thing as real human with large breasts. Now, I'm not going to go see if people are going "Augh, my virgin eyes!" over a puppet, but yeah anyone going that far is being a bit extra. It's a dumb boob joke puppet that will presumably make a few more boob jokes in the D&D game, but the thing isn't out yet so we'll have to wait and see.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

GreenMetalSun posted:

nobody is saying that, it's just loving stupid

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

alg posted:

nobody is saying that, it's just loving stupid

People are, in fact, saying that in the twitter thread.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
titty puppets are a perfectly fine concept by themselves but deliberately aping Sesame Street / The Muppets for your adult-oriented comedy thing is really tacky. the only reason to do it is to provoke exactly that response -- to use outrage (or just incredulity) as a marketing strategy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Look at the boob puppet's name. =/

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

You ever look at a Twitter and they have 6 figure followers and you have no idea what they do? I guess being a moderately successful YouTuber just gets you into the WOTC pockets now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

titty puppets are a perfectly fine concept by themselves but deliberately aping Sesame Street / The Muppets for your adult-oriented comedy thing is really tacky. the only reason to do it is to provoke exactly that response -- to use outrage (or just incredulity) as a marketing strategy.

I mean it's not like the muppets themselves have never been used in an adult-oriented comedy thing.

That ABC show was a lot

Lumbermouth posted:

You ever look at a Twitter and they have 6 figure followers and you have no idea what they do? I guess being a moderately successful YouTuber just gets you into the WOTC pockets now.

It's probably more just the 'fun' and different pitch than they usually get that did it.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 3, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Giant puppet tits will be the thing that mainstreams gamers. I can't wait to finally rid the hobby of its stigma as a haven for creepy manchildren.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
This is the problem with D&D being the hobby. I'm actually all in favor of a smutty Muppet dungeon-delving show. I'm fine with it existing, and with a glass of bourbon and a joint I might even enjoy it. But it seems like a bad look for the House of Mearls.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

moths posted:

Giant puppet tits will be the thing that mainstreams gamers. I can't wait to finally rid the hobby of its stigma as a haven for creepy manchildren.

This is a black woman who specifically asked for it.

Not some creepy manchild.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I've seen more than one person put out by the reaction because, like, big baps are just a fact of life and the way people often talk about them is some weird body-shaming poo poo.

On the other hand, even with the best of intentions I'm incredibly dubious that the presentation here is going to be distinguishable from a moderately polite dudebro having the same basic idea. "Huh huh big titty puppet with funny boobs name" doesn't inspire much confidence. I can't imagine the silly RPG puppet show will be an aggressively feminist/body-positive space where such jokes are contextualized within the affected community for judgement or reclamation.

Meanwhile:

I likely wouldn't be inclined towards a licensed game of Avatar anyway, but shucks I'm disappointed. Maybe once they finish the game they can get back to that blog post or whatever that was supposed to explain away their corner of the Zak debacle.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Personally after watching the trailer I'm more shook that someone pitched 'what if crank yankers but dungeons and dragons' and got the green light.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the muppet is stacked and is named aeriola, lol

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I'm honestly kinda shocked at how stuck-up the reaction has been to the announcement here.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Arthil posted:

I'm honestly kinda shocked at how stuck-up the reaction has been to the announcement here.

yeah cmon if we cant enjoy the simple pleasures of a silly character whats even the point of this whole endeavor

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Arthil posted:

It really is wild.

Like my first thought when I saw the concept was like, "lol, sure" and moved on, and then it like loving blew goddamn up, with people shooting massive takes from the hip.

My general feeling is that if the show is bad, then the show is bad, won't be the first or the last bad/unfunny actual play/stream on a tabletop game.

But this isn't some grand assault on women, because some black woman wants to play a large breasted woman with a areola joke in the name. Like dudes haven't been making characters named like Richard Johnson and getting no smoke for it.

If it's bad critique/kill it on those merits or lack there of. But the premise itself is whatever imo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dexo posted:

It really is wild.

Like my first thought when I saw the concept was like, "lol, sure" and moved on, and then it like loving blew goddamn up, with people shooting massive takes from the hip.

My general feeling is that if the show is bad, then the show is bad, won't be the first or the last bad/unfunny actual play/stream on a tabletop game.

But this isn't some grand assault on women, because some black woman wants to play a large breasted woman with a areola joke in the name. Like dudes haven't been making characters named like Richard Johnson and getting no smoke for it.

If it's bad critique/kill it on those merits or lack there of. But the premise itself is whatever imo.

Yeah, if it was a dude playing the titmuppet I would probably be looking at this a bit askance. But it's a well endowed woman wanting to play a well endowed puppet (that's a dragonborn, and a barbarian even) as a joke on the trope.
This is good and I'm okay with it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tits are tits, who cares. I want further details on the thing I heard about one character's crossbow being named "Assfuck" because it gets shot up monster asses. That's the kind of humor we can all rally against and get mad at, come on.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
And frankly, if you haven't encountered women who are obsessed with giant boobs in this nerdy hobby universe - at conventions, Ren faires, etc. - I don't know what to tell you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

theironjef posted:

Tits are tits, who cares. I want further details on the thing I heard about one character's crossbow being named "Assfuck" because it gets shot up monster asses. That's the kind of humor we can all rally against and get mad at, come on.

this

There are plenty of bad/unfunny actual plays. This seemingly is corny to at the very least my sensibilities.

But stuff I find just corny or unfunny isn't worth my ire. It just gets ignored, maybe a post saying "lmao look at this corny poo poo"

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Lumbermouth posted:

Even moderately success full is a stretch. My buddy does YouTube and Twitch stuff and the $ value of free merch he's had thrown at him by WotC and other adjacent companies in the D&D ecosystem is staggering. I assume it's marketing people just not knowing how to advertise in the hobby and throwing money wherever but he doesn't have a huge following so I just don't understand.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
This neither an assault on women or some puritanical blowback to tits and I think painting it in either way makes me personally uncomfortable and feels more like a lot of men trying to eyeball how objectionable it is than anything. It's another dumb boob joke to add to well-established canon of dumb D&D chainmail bikini boob jokes, but yes this time it was contributed by a black woman. It's cool she gets the opportunity to contribute and who knows maybe this will lead to killer comedy moments.

It just looks like Avenue Q playing D&D to me right now, so I can't say I'm excited, but also yes this isn't worth remarking on much.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

LongDarkNight posted:

Even moderately success full is a stretch. My buddy does YouTube and Twitch stuff and the $ value of free merch he's had thrown at him by WotC and other adjacent companies in the D&D ecosystem is staggering. I assume it's marketing people just not knowing how to advertise in the hobby and throwing money wherever but he doesn't have a huge following so I just don't understand.
I assume it's because 'number of collaborators' is an easy metric to pump this way, even if it doesn't contribute to the total audience numbers the same way. There's only so many top 20% youtubers who are interested in working with you, and it's not like you can send them two of the same merch boxes.

Besides, nobody gets mad at you for being too generous with the swag if it still has a positive ROI (...on the marketing teams report to the COO). It's the same thing that results in thousand dollar swag bags at pharmacology conventions - one more doctor prescribing Celebrimbor justifies a lot.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The only reasonable take (brought up by Olivia Hill of Machine Age) is that Wizards shot down a supplement on the Dungeon Master/DriveThruRPG store that feature a bunch of male homosexual sexuality - Nothing super explicit, but the gay version of massive honkers - i.e. hot dudes with their shirts off - so it's lovely for that to be shot down but this to get the ok from Wizards.

Otherwise I say more power to a probably-'plus-size' black lady to make a character who has a large presence, both figuratively and literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LashLightning posted:

Otherwise I say more power to a probably-'plus-size' black lady to make a character who has a large presence, both figuratively and literally.

https://twitter.com/shannamalcolm/status/1231444286735974402?s=20