Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Or even the Podcast with it’s opening theme tune(s).
I don’t know what pieces of music are used but I recognise that they are designed to appeal to a part of the brain reserved for national anthems.
I've not listened in too long, but isn't it The Internationale, which does that on purpose?

e: A trecena is a 13-day period used in some pre-Columbian Mesoamerican calendars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Not So Fast posted:

The thing about flag-wanking is that it is a popular stance among the general public, because most voters like that style of patriotism and like it when that's reflected by their politicians. I don't really mind left patriotism, so long as you actually use it to push left wing values.

But Starmer is completely devoid of ideas to differentiate him from the other flag wavers. That's the critical problem here.

Yeah setting aside ideology, this just doesn't seem to make sense.

The article is full of quotes from focus groups saying that they don't know what Labour stands for, that Labour is deliberate vague, and that Labour is 'two parties in one.' And the solution is... to focus on something anyone else can do?

To make it an analogy, the voters are saying Labour is diluted as a brand. The solution offered is to dilute it even more, but with a solvent you think people like.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1356876970181730307?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/1356901074360229890?s=19
https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/1356903415171940353?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Honestly that's demonstrating a better ability to absorb information and act on it in the public interest than he usually does. Sure it's a movie, but the premise is reasonable

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Tayloredword/status/1356892182582591488

Oh no the brainworms have mutated.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Matt Hancock is also on an awful lot of coke most of the time, even by tory standards imo

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surely the luxury yacht wankers just give £ridiculous/month to Inmarsat for something that Just Works over the vast majority of the ocean rather than potentially missing an important trade/merger/Bulgarian sex-slave auction because the ionosphere isn't playing ball?

I think they’re usually dual or tri band, with low-bandwidth geostationary coverage in the middle of the ocean, higher bandwidth Ka-band stuff closer to shore, and sometimes a radio link in certain areas.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

Matt Hancock is also on an awful lot of coke most of the time, even by tory standards imo

Stop, stop, you're only making him cooler

Also, nice that people who need to be punched in the teeth are now wearing masks with targets on

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If there is one thing you can say the government got right it was the vaccine strategy, it surprised me as I thought it would be a clusterfuck. A shame about literally everything else.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Their victory lap over having made one correct decision in this whole catastrophe is nauseating.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's very weird being in a situation where the government hasn't hosed everything up.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut- posted:

Their victory lap over having made one correct decision in this whole catastrophe is nauseating.

Wait til they jump another 10points in the polls and then Kieth crosses the floor to let Boris use him as a footstool

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

It's very weird being in a situation where the government hasn't hosed everything up.

They have though

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Wendover did a video on living in Antarctica recently so if you want a clip that goes into excruciating detail about their internet access, here it is from 6:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAEydOjNWyQ&t=380s

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

keep punching joe posted:

If there is one thing you can say the government got right it was the vaccine strategy, it surprised me as I thought it would be a clusterfuck. A shame about literally everything else.

Wasn't the vaccine plan post Cummings? So they have actually listened to the experts, got as much vaccine as they can then left it to more competent people to distribute it rather than throwing it to their mates.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

that's politics though isn't it. Downplay all the failures and crow about the victories.

I won't deny that if Corbyn got in he'd have to do the same. He'd have to because the press would be working overtime to do the opposite anyway.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Has anybody started getting their second injections yet? Still plenty of time for them to push it back further or just decide one jab is enough for everybody IMO

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I've not listened in too long, but isn't it The Internationale, which does that on purpose?

Maybe?
I figured one was the Internationale and one was God Save the Queen? But honestly I wouldn't know what those tunes sound like well enough to recognise them.
I just feel like a Host from Westworld who when presented with concrete evidence of nationalistic just goes
"That doesn't mean much of anything to me."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grey Hunter posted:

Wasn't the vaccine plan post Cummings? So they have actually listened to the experts, got as much vaccine as they can then left it to more competent people to distribute it rather than throwing it to their mates.

Post-Cummings clarity

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jose posted:

They have though

well I mean the vaccines, not the giant pile of dead people

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

TACD posted:

Has anybody started getting their second injections yet? Still plenty of time for them to push it back further or just decide one jab is enough for everybody IMO

496,796 as of yesterday, so that will be the Pfizer one prob.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Glad he didn't watch Outbreak as they'd be dropping fuel-air bombs on high infection areas instead.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Bloody hell, Jean Reno's 72?!

I have a soft spot for him - I've always found him strangely attractive.

Patriotism/nationalism:

Lots of countries have it in spades including Egypt for example.

When Sisi came to the UK and met with Cameron at No. 10, Egyptians on my FB were up in arms that he was 'forced to walk up Downing St' instead of being taken right to the door by car so the UK was showing him enormous disrespect. They took some calming down even with photos of Obama walking up Downing St (because all visitors do).

And then there was this, in 2010:

Photo from middle East peace talks with Obama as alpha male:

Photoshopped version published in Al Ahram (Egyptian state newspaper sort of Times-ish) showing Mubarak as alpha male:

They got a lot of stick for this!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe?
I figured one was the Internationale and one was God Save the Queen? But honestly I wouldn't know what those tunes sound like well enough to recognise them.
I just feel like a Host from Westworld who when presented with concrete evidence of nationalistic just goes
"That doesn't mean much of anything to me."
I listened again and yes, the dirge at the beginning is God Save the Queen/My Country 'Tis of Thee and then it segues into The Internationale, which deliberately sounds like something nationalistic but isn't (and is French).

For better or worse, the UK really sucks at stirring upbeat patriotic songs, there's Rule Britannia and Heart of Oak and that's about it. Gilbert & Sullivan wrote better with tongue firmly in cheek than most of the standard fare, and there's never really been the British equivalent of a D.W. Reeves or J.P. Sousa that a lot of people can name. That might be a good thing, because British nationalism is often something that happens to people without their say in it, but it leaves a gap for the kieth brainworms to creep in.

sinky posted:

Glad he didn't watch Outbreak as they'd be dropping fuel-air bombs on high infection areas instead.
At least we might get to shoot some helicopters. :freep:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^^ Jerusalem is a banger tbf

peanut- posted:

A month in and they realise this is exactly the disaster they were warned about over and over again. Now they’re desperate to jump all over the vaccine import stuff to prove it’s the EU’s fault.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1356867587406241793?s=20
The EU really did gently caress it for themselves with the vaccine thing though. Triggering Article 16 was supposed to be their nuclear option, now they've already tried it, & it turns out that if they do that then the entire island of Éire will just be all like, "no". It's pretty much given the UK free reign to poo poo all over the deal from here on in imo.

Some credit to the guy tbf. "I accept that my dick was showing, and that in my efforts to tuck it away I just plucked my balls out and plopped them on the table, and that showing my entire arse throughout the process has done little to remedy the situation." Refreshing honesty in TYOOL 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

visa vie Scotland.

I try to not correct people when the meaning is unambiguous, but you're a solicitor so you should probably know:

It's vis-à-vis

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
no way hosay!!!!!!!!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I try to not correct people when the meaning is unambiguous, but you're a solicitor so you should probably know:

It's vis-à-vis

But for all intensive purposes, visa vie is good enough.

E: I have never let my wife live down the time she said "wax lyricaling" instead of "waxing lyrical"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Btw I encourage anyone to call me out when I post wrong English. I'll probably cry slightly and add you to my enemies.xlsx but ultimately it will lead to growth

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it's a doggy dog world

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i was once in a restaurant in a town in ohio and the menu said walah!

that was about 10 years ago but i still think of it offentimes

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sinky posted:

Fuel air bombing Kent would benefit us all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

900 dollars-in-dues?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

that was about 10 years ago but i still think of it offentimes

I kinda feel that way about those Wahaca restaurants in the UK. But I guess they're just trying to be cute and the food is better than Nandos so whatever

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

british newspapers complete 100-lap wank

I see your front pages and I raise you this:

Note that they haven't even made the stairway to heaven accessible.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I saw an 'and viola!' in the wild yesterday, my eye did a twitch.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's vis-à-vis

Actually I’m a barrister. So I’m most likely to use vis-à-vis* when I’m on my feet in court. So the phonetic use is more important to me than writing it down, because largely I leave written drafting to solicitors.

That being said I am grateful for the overall correction.

*= I am also grateful for now knowing how to spell it. You learn something new every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

crazyvanman posted:

I see your front pages and I raise you this:

Note that they haven't even made the stairway to heaven accessible.

How long until the ITV1 drama comes out about his life do you think?