Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Sorry guys but even now I think Duane is right hes never been wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Motherfucker posted:

I'm definitely more concerned for the safety of the innocent children and two-toes in the shrine above than I am for the researchers below, that's for sure. I'm pretty sure Quigley is thinking the same thing. Then again, he's also a coward who will tolerate a lot of evil poo poo to keep Matty physically unharmed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

reignonyourparade posted:

Genuinely not sure if it's on purpose that what's happening to the water women... isn't as bad as I feared.

PetraCore posted:

Well, we're only seeing part of it. They're definitely using them to make first water, and I think the dismemberment is probably because the first water generated inside a water woman is only first water when inside them, so if you blur the line of what actually constitutes their body cavity then you can start cooking with petrol. The upside is it seems like you can probably free them and get them in the river and they'll start to heal physically from this damage, but I doubt we're seeing the entirety of what's going on, since this is just 3 water women and I'm pretty sure more got captured than these 3 and the two water babies.

First water was the initial goal, albeit one I doubt they succeeded on, but the Chief outright stated two pages ago that they're now using them to defend the shrine. By torturing them so it enrages all the other Stormfolk in the area (so, torturing them too, just psychologically and not physically as well beyond possibly hurting their ears I guess) into making a permanent storm and trying to kill anyone they see. Said torture involves putting people in an unnatural and unending state of helplessness and agony; the waterwomen feel pain due to being exposed to the air (if fully submerged they wouldn't hurt), but also remain alive and in pain thanks to the water maintaining them. (They also slowly regenerate, so, to quote Ashley's Tumblr, "the workers trim their extremities again when they get too long".) It's a machine fueled by the pain of sapient beings kept in an excruciating state somewhere between life and death.

It's pretty much the same thing as the Silver, except much less impressive in what it actually does.

Motherfucker posted:

Duane wants the children up in the shrine to die, because he's blaming the entirety of Cresce for his own pain. (Which might not actually be anyone from Cresce's fault at all beyond some of the men being hired to do it being Crescian, not that he'd be reasonable even if it was; the only identified person of the bunch that killed him is Bastion, after all, and there's been hints that Lemuel was involved in things somehow too.) Also he is, to use Ashley's own description of him from some post I saw months ago, a fascist, and one who trained child soldiers at that. He's one of the nicest racist, misogynistic fascists you'll meet, sure, and a lot of that is due to nationalism and propaganda and goes against the kindness and and open-mindedness he demonstrates where those things aren't influencing him, but they're still there.

(Duane's the fictional, idealized version of that Republican (or Tory, etc) family member of yours who seemed so much nicer when you were younger, and you can still see the person you thought they were underneath sometimes but mostly you wonder how they got so horrible and if something changed somewhere or you just never saw it before.)

Going to borrow a more recent ask and answer from the Tumblr on this:

quote:

Bonus question: why do you feel a stated desire for an enemy's military installation to be destroyed to be villainy? Unless Duane also means that the priests and the girls are to be destroyed along with the shrine - which he so far has shown no indication of?

quote:

Duane isn’t thinking: “Yes, taking this facility out of play is strategically sound and prudent. No more terrible weapons will come out of it that can threaten my people.”

He’s thinking: “F*cking bitch-licking demons killed my baby girl, took my life away from me, sentenced me to a walking hell and now they’ll f*cking pay. They thought they had undone me?! They think their f*ucking curse can cloud my thoughts?! Make me doubt what I know? I’ll watch this burn and I will LAUGH!!!”

We have seen what is in his heart. So has Quigley. “The best thing these children will ever do is die.”

I know it can be hard to remember the path we’ve seen Duane go down since coming to the shrine, but it’s been there, and the trajectory is not promising. Don’t be fooled by the mask.

And then this response, which got reblogged:

quote:

I wonder if meeting Lori was particularly detrimental to his mental state... She probably confirms his worst beliefs about the Geffendur and Crescians (her day job is raising children to become human sacrifices and her side-hustle is assisting a covert military operation aiming to create some sort of superweapons thus the entire country of Cresce must clearly be one giant killing machine, right? And to top that, she’s a woman in position of authority, how distasteful to Aldish sensibilities...). But in some ways she’s also his Crescian analogue - a priestess pressured to carry out suspicious state business and and a person who abandons her natural kindness to fulfill dubious demands made by her religion and her country: is there really that much difference between raising children for slaughter and taking children to war (and, yeah, he did treat these little plats waaay better than anyone else seemed willing to, but Lori’s wards are complaining either, are they?).

So, I guess that Duane’s got a choice between accepting that they are similar, and by extension that Alderode is as bad as Cresce, and arbitralily deciding that his cause is superior. And Minnow’s handed him a noble cause - he can always frame all that he’s doing as an effort to stop the suffering of waterwomen. He’s acting againt tyranny, like a good Sselit should, right?

I also remember him saying something about being affected by the darkness when the storm was just beginning (feeling stretched thinor something like that), so I guess he doesn’t really have the presence of mind to adress his deeper issues. Which is not an excuse for his actions, just a case of freakin’ unlucky timing. I’ve got this gut feeling that he’ll eventually put an end to the strom and that sunlight will bring him startling clarity of mind and lots and lots of regrets...

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Duane's probably going to let the Alderode army in, check out for the night while Lady I tells him not to think too hard and then perform some truly heroic mental gymnastics that his side killing children is good, actually.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pictured: A good and righteous man.

It's very much reasonable and neither horrible nor alarming to call a building full of young girls a "den of seductresses" because your replacement daughter figure is enjoying her time there.

Different topic, I'm wondering what exactly made Quigley change his mind here. Did he notice or discover something new, or is he just realizing that it's probably easier for him personally to deal with the storm situation than what will happen after it disappears or something? "It's keeping out more than you realise" sounds like the former, but we haven't gotten an elaboration on that yet. Maybe he'll say in a page or two?

Also, this is a few days old now, but here's a fun detail:

quote:

Are the cloths over the waterwomen's faces to help keep them damp? Or is it to dehumanise them/make the workers more comfortable? Might be harder to torture something that can stare pleadingly/accusingly at you, etc

quote:

They were making the workers uncomfortable, yes. When I used to go to the medical school to draw cadavers as a college student, they always had little white squares of cloth - almost like dish rags - over their faces. That’s what I was channelling here.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 25, 2021

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The cloths also make it look like some kind of endless waterboarding.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
bit late but i get to be a bit smug about being afaik the first person to postulate that thr waterwomen project was about trying to generate first water :colbert:

even though it failed and was repurposed to an arguably even morally worse defense system lol

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Sorry, Greyjoy, Stretch called that one as a possibility in 2018. You were the first one to specifically bring it up in the context of Litriya, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Double update.

The most important revelation from today's pages: It is entirely possible that Quigley still doesn't know Sette's name.

Quigley's words really struck home this time. The truth hurts even the undead it seems. Also I'm really curious just what it is that's supposedly going to kill everyone; it can't just be Hetr and Keon, they haven't even been here since before the storm started unless I'm mistaken. (I mean, we know Keon just got there, I'm talking about Hetr and his forces.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Double update.

The most important revelation from today's pages: It is entirely possible that Quigley still doesn't know Sette's name.

Quigley's words really struck home this time. The truth hurts even the undead it seems. Also I'm really curious just what it is that's supposedly going to kill everyone; it can't just be Hetr and Keon, they haven't even been here since before the storm started unless I'm mistaken. (I mean, we know Keon just got there, I'm talking about Hetr and his forces.)

They've been talking about it. Alderode's armies are within striking distance, but the storm is preventing them from committing to an attack (if nothing else, their vlieglings are grounded.) Hence Duane's cognitive dissonance about "No good man of god or Alderode will harm a child!"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Straight White Shark posted:

They've been talking about it. Alderode's armies are within striking distance, but the storm is preventing them from committing to an attack (if nothing else, their vlieglings are grounded.) Hence Duane's cognitive dissonance about "No good man of god or Alderode will harm a child!"

Ah, the way things had been said a few times now, I figured it was something heretofore unknown to us, not "just" Alderode's army, though I suppose it should have been the obvious conclusion; I let myself get caught up on the wrong things. But, yeah, that would probably do it; vliegeng with nothing remotely capable of stopping them (Keon's lightning harpoon can only do so much) will gently caress things up, plus Hetr's forces just didn't look numerous enough to deal with a real army.

You know, not long before they arrived at the shrine, the very specific coloration of Lem's vliegeng was mentioned as evidence he wasn't one of the dead at that battlefield. If Alderode attacking is where this is going, it seems possible that we're going to be seeing a blue vliegeng with a rosy belly in a few pages.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 28, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lol Minnow is literally loving off.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
One page left in the chapter, then we take a break to stew in the cliffhanger.

Two chapters left in book one and Ash says she's been dreading them because they're traumatic.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We're gonna see Matty's guts strewn across a room.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
jesus christ do we even want to know what Ashley Cope considers traumatic after the last... all of the chapters???

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

jesus christ do we even want to know what Ashley Cope considers traumatic after the last... all of the chapters???

That's why I'm goin' with the brutal death of the most innocent character in the strip.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

oh no i miscounted and that was the last page of the chapter

comic resumes on april 5

edit: wait no, there was just a problem with the index

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch15/ch15_154.html

i know, right

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 3, 2021

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I'm not certain Matty will die as Cope said he represented Vienne's way of thinking and his death would remove that. Also he's young with plenty more years of trauma to go through :unsmigghh:

Quigley, Ruffles and every shrine girl are fair game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Duane is going to have his worldview shattered by seeing his brother allow the murder of all the civilians. Fast forward a few chapters and the best wright in centuries is going to be exploiting the Etalarche curse for righteous vengeance.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Yes, Roger was wrong, but it’s not too surprising since very little is known about the Etalarche curse, particularly by the general public. Quigley and Matty would also be affected by it. I was very careful not to have Matty present for Duane’s story, it would have gone poorly!

lol now i'm imagining matty going ballistic about ROGER FOI-HELLICK

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lol now i'm imagining matty going ballistic about ROGER FOI-HELLICK
Matty foaming at the mouth and cussing out ROGER FOI-HELLICK would be very funny but ultimately pretty traumatic for him, so it'd be great fanart or something.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Unsounded is back, and from the new page I can tell that everything is gonna turn out fine.
https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch16/ch16_01.html

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Nothing ever goes wrong in Unsounded.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's see this chapter's subtitle/description in the archive page...

quote:

Wherein Things Fall Apart

I see.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Could just be talking about Duane's body.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

bigdeal mythology drop this page

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yesterday's update took us back outside to the attack. We get a better look at a battle vliegeng, and also Keon being a badass.

Related, from the Tumblr:

quote:

It certainly feels weird to be rooting for Keon and company, even if only half-heartedly. They are all awful for sure, but I feel like the kids at least would have a better chance with the traitors than Ricker and the Ssaelit.

A dread-inducing chapter either way.

quote:

Yeah, the next page confirms that. These boys are traitors to the Queen, but they’re still Geffies. The idea of kept twins being brought to harm by disgusting Aldish snakes is absolutely intolerable. They’ll put their plotting aside to kick Ald rear end and protect the shrine.

The dynamics are really insane this chapter, between the factions. The only side I think you can honestly root for are the innocents, and even among them it’s iffy because you know Lori and the other keepers are here to enforce a barbaric religious tradition. Masek and his nephews are a little hard to support too because the young ones are so bloodthirsty and ruthless, and they’ve even guilted their uncle into going along with them.

I’d say the best of them are the innocents and the protectors: the twin girls, Matty, Jivi, Toma, and Elka. Duane wants to pretend he’s among their ranks, but just watch where his priorities actually take him as he tries to satisfy half a dozen screaming instincts all pulling him in separate directions. And Sette just wants to run away.

quote:

I notice Quigley isn't in the list of protectors either. Will he ever cease to disappoint us?

quote:

This is such a bad chapter for Quigley fans.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update. These last couple of pages are really strong ones for Keon. Also wow, Hetr just can't not be super dramatic.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Come on now, like there's ever a good chapter for Quigley fans.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 17, 2021

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Chapter 1, in which Quigley does not appear; his happiest chapter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Yesterday's update took us back outside to the attack. We get a better look at a battle vliegeng, and also Keon being a badass.

Related, from the Tumblr:

So someone is assuming that the ssaelit will kill more than half of the children?

Maybe they'll kill and eat all of them? That would certainly be twice as bad as what they have waiting in their current future.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Yeah somehow I dont think this guys bulging innermost appetite treats the teenage and younger maidens well

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm not saying the Ssaelit are their salvation, just that the three of the four major actors in this story do not bode well for the twins.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

So someone is assuming that the ssaelit will kill more than half of the children?

Maybe they'll kill and eat all of them? That would certainly be twice as bad as what they have waiting in their current future.

I had sent a so far unanswered anon tumblr ask before reading your post that said basically the same thing concerning how Cope said the Crescians wouldn't hurt the kids in the shrine:

Twenty Four posted:

I understand the distinction but saying Hetr or other Gefendur wouldn't hurt the twins like the Aldish army would doesn't get much credit in my books considering they kill and eat half of them by default, which is probably more then the casualties of war at Aldish hands.

By no means does this mean I think this makes any of them "the good guys and the bad guys" but let's not kid ourselves here.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Twenty Four posted:

I had sent a so far unanswered anon tumblr ask before reading your post that said basically the same thing concerning how Cope said the Crescians wouldn't hurt the kids in the shrine:

By no means does this mean I think this makes any of them "the good guys and the bad guys" but let's not kid ourselves here.

They all suck really, really bad.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's really sad seeing a confused, unstable, hopelessly conflicted Duane attempting to still play the hero, as if the act of taking action will be enough to resolve all these impossible contradictions.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure this is a good response to what's going on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Duane kept one of the hearts, didn't he?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Duane kept one of the hearts, didn't he?

Yeah I think it was on the Q&A tumblr (which answers a lot of trivia and side stuff) that the author mentioned that Duane tucked one of those water woman pearl cores into his cloak that they can regrow from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ashley Cope posted:

Would you take Siya’s side in blaming her for the pageant blow-up? Or do you blame Sette for coercing Duane to go along with it? Or do you blame Duane himself for the tantrum that he had? Or are you on the side of the lizard in Sara’s lap who thinks everyone is really, really stupid?

A comment posted:

Surely there must be some way to blame all this on Roger Foi-Hellick.