Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
McBurn....................is really good. Really, really good. And that was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Clarste posted:

It's literally the Latin word for sewer. So the dungeon, which is a giant sewer, is called Giant Sewer in Latin. It's not their fault it makes you think of bird buttholes.

Yeah, given that the game takes place in a Romun province..

Pretty sure the name was that in JP also

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Shinjobi posted:

McBurn....................is really good. Really, really good. And that was amazing.
McBurn is honestly why I wasn't terribly upset about them dropping the ball on the other villains because that whole bit might be a top 5 overall Trails moment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I really can't let this go.

The handling of Cedric makes Falcom as bad as the WWE when it comes to trying to tell a satisfying story

It ruins the entirety of his involvement in the story, it makes it hard(er) for Kurt to be interesting when the big revelation happens without his doing anything to make it happen, it just...

What the gently caress, this is basic storytelling. What even is this cold steel franchise.
i dont think the 17 year old should be murdered op

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ghostinmyshell posted:

About 4 hrs into the new Ys and I can't believe we went from these amazing environments in earlier games to city and sewer biomes only. :smith: Maybe this would have made more sense during the bloom, brown era of the 360/PS3...

yeah no kidding, it's such a stark difference

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

the only logical conclusion from the post you quoted

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

the only logical conclusion from the post you quoted
yeah, glad we're in agreement. thank you. i love you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

I don't either! My issue is more that Kurt's whole arc involves "I gotta help this dude get back on track," you take him to the big showdown, and then.........the kid kinda realizes poo poo on his own without Kurt's involvement being a factor at all. And then you still fight him anyway because....because, and then there's STILL a "what have I done???????" scene after the fight!

They straight up resolved the dickish prince issue before you even attack! Kurt's got so little going for him narratively in this game, and then they take away his big moment from him. It's especially maddening because Jusis gets his moment in a way I expected Kurt to get his.

If there was an antagonist that needed to eat it, twerp royal wasn't it, but the complete lack of satisfying resolution is a gigantic mark against the game. You spin the wheels that long, letting badguys dig themselves into these pits, and then they just go oops sorry and the following fight is a wet fart.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 3, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think that's more on Kurt just being a character they just completely forgot to write an arc for tbh.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If they just had all the coming to his senses stuff after the fight instead of directly before, I'd have nothing bad to say about it. It was a bad choice and it took me out of things until McBurn wowed me again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Twice now this accursed death plague has left me with an email from the Prinny Squadron saying "sorry delays lol" so I am unable to play Ys 9 after buying the special edition way in advance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes aside its pretty clear the writers just dont care about kurt whatsoever, pretty much every time they give him any focus it feels very reluctant. minus the crossdressing bit

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Does anyone have a full map of the (ch5)Groaning Grotto dungeon? I've got a bit over 90% of the map filled in and I'm missing a chest, but I can't find anything indicating where that chest or last part of the map might be. The only thing I can think of is there's another entrance that I don't know about.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shinjobi posted:

If there was an antagonist that needed to eat it, twerp royal wasn't it, but the complete lack of satisfying resolution is a gigantic mark against the game. You spin the wheels that long, letting badguys dig themselves into these pits, and then they just go oops sorry and the following fight is a wet fart.

I think it's just a general symptom of the game loving all of its characters way too much, so even the villains aren't really allowed to be villains. Sometimes that works out great (Duvalie), but I agree that having every single major enemy go "I'm truly sorry it's come to this, but now we must fight for no reason" is a bit much.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 4, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Honestly it really is just having the apology before the fight that annoys me. It's essentially operating on shonen anime rules, and I get that and I've made my peace with it, but come on if I gotta fight em anyway just leave the revelation until after the gameplay is done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

jokes aside its pretty clear the writers just dont care about kurt whatsoever, pretty much every time they give him any focus it feels very reluctant. minus the crossdressing bit

Kurt has focus but the problem is that his focus is really low-key. And that wouldn't be a problem in a normal Trails game but he's in the Giant Epic With Ten Billion Characters 9/10ths of which are Legendary Heroes Of Immense Legend. Kurt's plot of "I feel kind of like I'm not living up to expectations either from my lineage nor from the guy I was supposed to protect" is hard to really stand out when even his classmates are all significantly more plot focused than he is.

If you just had a game with New Class VII not dealing with the franchise-long epic buildup he'd have been fine but you can't really have a lower-scale plot when literally all your teammates are Secretly Incredibly Important or Lloyd With A Skirt.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 4, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Kurt has focus but the problem is that his focus is really low-key. And that wouldn't be a problem in a normal Trails game but he's in the Giant Epic With Ten Billion Characters 9/10ths of which are Legendary Heroes Of Immense Legend. Kurt's plot of "I feel kind of like I'm not living up to expectations either from my lineage nor from the guy I was supposed to protect" is hard to really stand out when even his classmates are all significantly more plot focused than he is.

If you just had a game with New Class VII not dealing with the franchise-long epic buildup he'd have been fine but you can't really have a lower-scale plot when literally all your teammates are Secretly Incredibly Important or Lloyd With A Skirt.

Which is exactly why I say the power rangers shouldnt have existed as a new cast of wide eyed main characters.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's actually kind of remarkable how well most of the other new class VII came off.

Like, Juna had no business being a good/great character. None. On paper, she's a spunky new protagonist who was retconned a bunch of connections to a group of beloved old characters, and is the only person who can fight for the burning spirit of her people. And the other cast members fall into uncharacteristic melancholy and her can-do attitude is what's needed to snap them out of it.

She is, on paper, a terrible, fanfic self-insert character. And yet.... they made her actually extremely likable somehow.

Altina is an unmemorable boss character from CS2 that somehow goes on to have one of the most satisfying character arcs in the series.

Ash is a third of a character that we were told there were only two of in a story that already had a satisfying conclusion and doesn't ruin the story by existing.

Compared to the heroic feats of those three, it's no small wonder that Kurt is somewhat left in the dust.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

New Class VII is one of the best trails casts and it would’ve been fine if they completely sidelined the original.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Like, Juna had no business being a good/great character. None. On paper, she's a spunky new protagonist who was retconned a bunch of connections to a group of beloved old characters, and is the only person who can fight for the burning spirit of her people. And the other cast members fall into uncharacteristic melancholy and her can-do attitude is what's needed to snap them out of it.

She is, on paper, a terrible, fanfic self-insert character. And yet.... they made her actually extremely likable somehow

the dark secret is that all terrible fanfic self-insert characters, are actually good and likable

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RevolverDivider posted:

New Class VII is one of the best trails casts and it would’ve been fine if they completely sidelined the original.

This is wrong as hell for all sorts of reasons. I like the characters too, but yikes

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No, I totally agree that it would've been fine for the old class 7 to get sidelined.

Edit: Actually, sometimes I feel like Kurt is the bland main character of a game where he's not the main character. Not that I'd want him to be the main character, but he has a very main character personality.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 4, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some of old class 7 had reasons to still be around, (Fie, Emma), some were Elliot.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I remember starting Zero and expecting to see Yuna somewhere because I thought she was some huge payoff for a game I hadn’t played.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
She got added to the PS4 releases of Zero/Azure which is nice, I guess? It's still weird that she comes out of nowhere and is secretly the SSS's bestest friend but drat if they don't make her work in 3 and 4.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Artix posted:

She got added to the PS4 releases of Zero/Azure which is nice, I guess? It's still weird that she comes out of nowhere and is secretly the SSS's bestest friend but drat if they don't make her work in 3 and 4.

Correction, she's only in PS4 Azure, and even then just barely. As in, NPC that shows up like three times and never even in a cutscene.

I do agree that even with that weird retcon she's still good in CS3/4 though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like Juna but I do think it's weird that she's not just an SSS fangirl, but actually someone the SSS seems to personally know. I don't think that was necessary for her character, and it might actually have been even more emotionally significant if they didn't know who she was but gave her their blessing as a representative of Crossbell anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Clarste posted:

I like Juna but I do think it's weird that she's not just an SSS fangirl, but actually someone the SSS seems to personally know. I don't think that was necessary for her character, and it might actually have been even more emotionally significant if they didn't know who she was but gave her their blessing as a representative of Crossbell anyway.

Yup. Far more natural and better writing.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Clarste posted:

I'll give it a pass since a core tenant of Trails games seems to be "Talk to everyone that exists every chance you get" so I think it'd be weirder if they didn't know her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

i do agree with that. or at least, its reasonable for her to have met the sss once or been saved by lloyd once or something but her being friends with them is a little strange.

that said i think it was a choice made to accommodate people who hadnt played the crossbell games. if you don't know who the hell randy is, him knowing juna is your inroad to knowing him. of course i still think that angle is workable with just her being a fangirl, but i do get why the choice was made.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

I'll give it a pass since a core tenant of Trails games seems to be "Talk to everyone that exists every chance you get" so I think it'd be weirder if they didn't know her

True, it's canon that Lloyd talks to every NPC every time.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I can tell you right now, the only way to make me fall out of love with Trails is for it to go out of its way to abandon stuff from prior games. We have setup, that setup is the most important thing in the series bar none, and suggesting we ditch that just makes me feel nauseous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, there are plenty of old class 7 members that didnt have any payoff whatsoever in cs 3 and 4.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean some of them also don't have any payoff or even much setup in CS2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gaius is a bizarre one because hes theoretically a super important character with tons of payoff but it sure never feels like it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

gaius is a bizarre one because hes theoretically a super important character with tons of payoff but it sure never feels like it
It was funny how people built up his role for CS3 and beyond and then like literally you could search/replace all of his scenes with Thomas and it wouldn't change anything.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I guess they were going for another Wazy with Gaius but its all so meh.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gaius is cool as hell off screen, please take our word for it.

It is cool that Linde and him could be a thing, though. It would be hell having Vivi as a sister in law, though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
sometimes with the CS4 criticism I wonder if people just want the Trails series to be all political drama RPGs, all the time, and completely ditch Ouroboros, Sept-Terrions, Divine Beasts, and all of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

sometimes with the CS4 criticism I wonder if people just want the Trails series to be all political drama RPGs, all the time, and completely ditch Ouroboros, Sept-Terrions, Divine Beasts, and all of that
there are definitely people who want that. and to be fair sky 1 was basically that.