Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I really hope someday there's a proper account of Guilliman killing Alpharius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I thought Dorn killed Alpharius when the latter tried to convince him that he was doing it all for the right reasons? In Praetorian.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

NihilCredo posted:

I would scratch Sanguinius and the twins off that list. Sanguinius because of the Sanguinor, and the twins because lies is the entirety of their personality. (Which IMO makes them just as boring as Rogal Dorn in their way.)

Horus is the deadest entity in the galaxy, and Curze is the one with the most meaningful death. Ferrus Manus... well, he doesn't have a particular reason to stay dead IMO, but he had a clean death and doesn't have any reason to come back either. Maybe as a counterpart if a loyal Fulgrim pops up in some form (which he really should, he had the dumbest fall of all the Primarchs), but that would be kind of gratuitous.

the description of dorn killing "alpharius" on pluto is clearly written to evoke the death of Ferrus Manus. it's a significant event, one "omegon" senses from across space. someone very important died there, not like sheed ranko or some other standin. whether it was alpharius or omegon isn't certain, and may not matter. I think the two are basically interchangeable, and I'm not even convinced of the theory that they were working at cross purposes or fell on opposite sides of the line.

and the sanguinor isn't really sanguinius, it's just a manifestation of some of his traits-- it wouldn't swing the tide of a battle singlehandedly the same way sanguinius would.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Miguel Prado posted:

Bro a titan stepped on Angron, Dorn’s fine. He even kicked Fulgrims butt on the walls.

That might have been the worst primarch-fight in the lore so far, but yeah.

I guess it didn't help that there was a looong inflation of Primarchs just popping around all over the galaxy to fight each other in the early heresy, so now, at the final lap, where it -should- feel momentous and meaningful, it's old hat.

Hell, trying to do a timeline of Konrad Curze's appearances through the Heresy would drain the sanity of anyone trying it, because apparently they pulled his name out of a hat when asking "Who is going to be the maniacal Joker primarch that pops up everywhere to be owned by the loyalists?"

At first he's at the second wave on the Dropsite Massacre. Then he's waaay far off, trying to turn the Dark Angels, gets stabbed, recovers, then tries to hold the first Legion at bay for a couple of years. Invades their flagship again, gets captured with his veterans. Escapes, somehow pops up elsewhere to torment Vulkan, gets his rear end kicked. I think at some point he appears alone in Calth or some other ultramarine world. Then he's fighting the Blood Angels and is shot into space.

I'm likely forgetting something; it's like every other primarch kept rolling a random encounter table. "Let's roll the d20.... 8! A wild Konrad Curze appears! Again!"

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sephyr posted:

That might have been the worst primarch-fight in the lore so far, but yeah.

I guess it didn't help that there was a looong inflation of Primarchs just popping around all over the galaxy to fight each other in the early heresy, so now, at the final lap, where it -should- feel momentous and meaningful, it's old hat.

Hell, trying to do a timeline of Konrad Curze's appearances through the Heresy would drain the sanity of anyone trying it, because apparently they pulled his name out of a hat when asking "Who is going to be the maniacal Joker primarch that pops up everywhere to be owned by the loyalists?"

At first he's at the second wave on the Dropsite Massacre. Then he's waaay far off, trying to turn the Dark Angels, gets stabbed, recovers, then tries to hold the first Legion at bay for a couple of years. Invades their flagship again, gets captured with his veterans. Escapes, somehow pops up elsewhere to torment Vulkan, gets his rear end kicked. I think at some point he appears alone in Calth or some other ultramarine world. Then he's fighting the Blood Angels and is shot into space.

I'm likely forgetting something; it's like every other primarch kept rolling a random encounter table. "Let's roll the d20.... 8! A wild Konrad Curze appears! Again!"

I mean. They travel through the warp to go places. That does stuff.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

FYI the gate of bones LE is back up on the US Games Workshop site.

Or not, nevermind.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Inspector_666 posted:

Ferrus coming back would be interesting just because he would be so horrified at what happened to his Legion, but yeah it doesn't feel like it really moves the bigger story forward.

He could come back with a neceodermis head and tie in with the Silent King somehow. His skull is chilling on Medusa with clan Kaargul and the recent codex supplement and other IH lore heavily implies that Necron ruins are on Medusa and that Ferrus Manus will "return in a time of need." With the Void Dragon finally getting a model I'd love to see it tied in to the Great Wyrm and Manus.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 3, 2021

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i just hope that when we get more loyalist primarch models they look more like the FW versions (grim, dignified) and not like the 40k guilliman (weird proportions, overdesigned, goofy face, doing the splits)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

in fact just let us use the forge world models, are any of them actually bad? maybe russ?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Sextro posted:

I mean. They travel through the warp to go places. That does stuff.

Except Curze has always been one of the most warp-averse primarchs, and just jumping into a tear in the fabric of the universe would likely land you either in some horrible hell-pocket, it in the middle of random nowhere.

Then again, in one book a primarch just throws his whole fleet into a warp explosion on a hunch, and it just took them where they needed to go. I know plot convenience is a thing, but drat.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They shoulda said ok every time primarchs fight one of them is permadead and really build up to those duels and make em count dramaturgically. Last minute escapes eventually stop being exciting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And this covers the The Beast series nicely,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1u2c_9hhMQ

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

aphid_licker posted:

They shoulda said ok every time primarchs fight one of them is permadead and really build up to those duels and make em count dramaturgically. Last minute escapes eventually stop being exciting.

Yeah, it was just a post here and nothing canon but I like to think that some power the emperor "stole" from the Gods was literally fate and destiny... plot armor. Which would get super thin against a similar or more powerful force.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I’m thinking of getting some of the upcoming limited editions. Where do they go on sale, and when, and how fast do they sell out?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

MariusLecter posted:

super thin against a similar or more powerful force.

Writer's block

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’m thinking of getting some of the upcoming limited editions. Where do they go on sale, and when, and how fast do they sell out?

Warhammer.com, click on Black Library, filter by Available to Order

Keep an eye on Warhammer Community's website for release dates

Horus Heresy stuff sells out in minutes, 40k stuff sells out a little slower but it's still quick.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think it was Flight of Eisenstein where Garro was nearly killed by Dorn that made me wonder how many Space Marines is a Primarch worth.

Then in Fulgrim we're told Fulgrim and Manus just kill dozens of them with complete ease so I guess a lot? But then again, maybe they were among the best and strongest Primarchs? Lorgar talks a lot about how he's no good at fighting so maybe not all primarchs could kill dozens of SM's.

Also while I guess it was some kind of illusion, the daemon prince in First Heretic "kills" Tal and friends with total ease so are daemon princes like primarchs and worth dozens of space marines?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the description of dorn killing "alpharius" on pluto is clearly written to evoke the death of Ferrus Manus. it's a significant event, one "omegon" senses from across space. someone very important died there, not like sheed ranko or some other standin. whether it was alpharius or omegon isn't certain, and may not matter. I think the two are basically interchangeable, and I'm not even convinced of the theory that they were working at cross purposes or fell on opposite sides of the line.

and the sanguinor isn't really sanguinius, it's just a manifestation of some of his traits-- it wouldn't swing the tide of a battle singlehandedly the same way sanguinius would.

Some big updates to the Sanguinor/blood angels lore in Darkness in the Blood. The sanguinor is much more active post Devastation of Baal.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Picked up my first AoS book, Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods, and its actually pretty drat good, but it feels exactly like a space marine book where they find-replaced astartes or space marine with stormcast. Again, I'm not complaining, I think the book is well written and I like the characters and story, but it still feels very much like a reskinned 40k book.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

NikkolasKing posted:

I think it was Flight of Eisenstein where Garro was nearly killed by Dorn that made me wonder how many Space Marines is a Primarch worth.

Then in Fulgrim we're told Fulgrim and Manus just kill dozens of them with complete ease so I guess a lot? But then again, maybe they were among the best and strongest Primarchs? Lorgar talks a lot about how he's no good at fighting so maybe not all primarchs could kill dozens of SM's.

Also while I guess it was some kind of illusion, the daemon prince in First Heretic "kills" Tal and friends with total ease so are daemon princes like primarchs and worth dozens of space marines?

I think the Primarchs are such a big ol ball of chaos energy and destiny and fate that they can literally be only killed by each other, or the Emperor, unless they WANT to die (like Cruze.) Lorgar and Angron get lava cannoned and stepped on by a Titan, Guilliman spends hours in the void without a suit, and Dorn tells Sindrmann that he could jump off the top of the palace and it wouldn’t kill him, only one of his brothers could.

It’s fine as myth, but breaks down pretty hard when you think about it.

***Edit: this doesn’t mean I don’t want to see Valdor gently caress up any or all of the traitor Primarchs.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

von Metternich posted:

I think the Primarchs are such a big ol ball of chaos energy and destiny and fate that they can literally be only killed by each other, or the Emperor, unless they WANT to die (like Cruze.) Lorgar and Angron get lava cannoned and stepped on by a Titan, Guilliman spends hours in the void without a suit, and Dorn tells Sindrmann that he could jump off the top of the palace and it wouldn’t kill him, only one of his brothers could.

***Edit: this doesn’t mean I don’t want to see Valdor gently caress up any or all of the traitor Primarchs.

So Dorn is alive

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Nuclear War posted:

So Dorn is alive

I don’t expect anyone to confirm that he’s dead, in any case. And if you don’t have the rest of the body, I won’t believe it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

It's been pretty well established that even the least martial-minded Primarch can wipe several Astartes squads with ease. They are made with some Quantum bullshit that just makes them absurdly fast, durable and strong.

Let's take Lorgar, one of the 'weak' primarchs in the lore.

Lorgar has dueled a Greater Daemon of Khorne and beat it. Telekinetically lifted massive chunks of rubble and sent them flying at escape velocity to crush the head of a Warhound titan. Thrown his mace so hard into the cockpit of a Thunderhawk it crashed. Pulped several squads of ultramarines while distracted trying to save Angron from being buried alive. Survived two plasma blastgun shots from a titan. Mind-fought eighteen librarians at once. Bare-handed punched through a Contemptor Dreadnaught's armor.

It's kinda ridiculous. And we're not even entering double-bullshit territory like Vulkan. Or Magnus, which they had to lore-nerf into not just atomizing anything that isn't the Emperor himself.

So yeah, it'd take either another Primarch, the emperor, or a massive ambush to do it. Russ surrounded Angron with his best packs in the Night of the Wolf and believed he could just have shot him to pieces. Dorn's previous death in the lore also seems to bear that out. And heading into spoilers, in Talon of Horus it takes Abaddon, Khayon (a massively powerful psyker), about thirty Justaerin terminators and a full hundred Thousand Son rubrics to kill a -clone- of Horus.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

The last we heard from the guy who did the Astartes series on youtube was "sorry for being afk" back in november and he has been afk ever since... I'll give him a couple of dollars for a few months more anyhow.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Roboute almost gets chumped by a single squad of Alpha Legion.

lol

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Roboute almost gets chumped by a single squad of Alpha Legion.

lol

He was only wearing a toga dude

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Demon Prince Angron got taken out by a hundred Grey Knights. It's said multiple times in different books if a primarch is on a ship and the reactor goes critical they are toast. As always with 40k, it's a bit inconsistent, but ultimately nothing can kill the Primarchs unless BL wants it to.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

D-Pad posted:

Demon Prince Angron got taken out by a hundred Grey Knights. It's said multiple times in different books if a primarch is on a ship and the reactor goes critical they are toast. As always with 40k, it's a bit inconsistent, but ultimately nothing can kill the Primarchs unless BL wants it to.

It's just a convoluted way to say "as the Plot demands".

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's a lil annoying that no primarch ever went out to having his ship explode around him or something. Or he survives the ship but he's afloat for ten thousand years until someone's space tug bumps into this angry dude. Like a lot of things happen to them, but they're all broadly in the category of guys hitting one another with swords.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

D-Pad posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's always going to come down to plot demands and what the decided narrative is. Good authors can make it more plausible and engaging than bad ones, which let the gears and ropes show.

In Angron's case, he was weakened after the warp storm that allowed him to manifest in the first place had passed, and Grey Knights are basically specialized daemon-killing badasses. Even so, he took out 92 of those 100 GKs, if I remember correctly. It was a titanic, grievous clash on both sides.

Daemon primarchs are even more complicated to gauge, since daemons can range from Godzilla-like entities or be severely diminished because of the tides of the warp. I think 5th edition Angron statted in the Apocalypse books was titan-sized. Meanwhile, Daemon Magnus was taken out by one Space Wolf with a magic spear.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm sure it was a really nice spear though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also people talk about how Angron survived a Titan stomping him but it was really Lorgar's psyker abilities that saved him. Which is an out even more prone to the whims of an author, but Angron can't actually just shrug off a Titan's foot as a baseline Primarch thing.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's always going to come down to plot demands and what the decided narrative is. Good authors can make it more plausible and engaging than bad ones, which let the gears and ropes show.

In Angron's case, he was weakened after the warp storm that allowed him to manifest in the first place had passed, and Grey Knights are basically specialized daemon-killing badasses. Even so, he took out 92 of those 100 GKs, if I remember correctly. It was a titanic, grievous clash on both sides.

Daemon primarchs are even more complicated to gauge, since daemons can range from Godzilla-like entities or be severely diminished because of the tides of the warp. I think 5th edition Angron statted in the Apocalypse books was titan-sized. Meanwhile, Daemon Magnus was taken out by one Space Wolf with a magic spear.

Magnus got stabbed in the eye irrc with the Spear of Russ. Which he then went "All according to plan" with and took for his scheme.

The emperor forged the spear so its entirely possible it's on the same level as the sword is.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 3, 2021

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

It was a loving chaos axe.

Used by those paragons of virtue The Space Wolves.

But it was all part of the plan and, needless to day, He got the last laugh.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

von Metternich posted:

I have to stop myself from over-analyzing things like this. Especially with Corax's current form being a thing. Like, is Corax to Full-Powered SSJ, as a Daemon Primarch form is to Ultra-SSJ? Is Daemon Princedom really just a sidegrade tech tree to Primarchs rather than an upgrade, if Primarchs are already warp-stuff, just not necessarily daemon-stuff? Can a Daemon Primarch revert back to normal Primarch?

I have too much time on my hands.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

notaspy posted:

It was a loving chaos axe.

Used by those paragons of virtue The Space Wolves.

But it was all part of the plan and, needless to day, He got the last laugh.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Spear_of_Russ

Literally a spear created by the emperor with a parcel of his own power.

quote:

Ragnar Blackmane seized up the Spear of Russ and hurled it through the warp portal, stabbing the eye of Magnus. This stopped the ritual and closing the portal, but at the cost of losing the Spear of Russ into the warp.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 3, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

It's a lil annoying that no primarch ever went out to having his ship explode around him or something. Or he survives the ship but he's afloat for ten thousand years until someone's space tug bumps into this angry dude. Like a lot of things happen to them, but they're all broadly in the category of guys hitting one another with swords.

Cruze got shot into space in a stasis crate and floated around for several hundred years before a random ship of scavengers found him. There is a short story about them finding him. It's pretty good because they are really loving stoked at finding this amazing piece of archeotech that is going to make them all super rich and then they realize what's in it. It does not go well for them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

New humble bundle with 18 books: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/03/get-18-warhammer-ebooks-for-one-low-price-in-the-latest-humble-bundle/

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Cruze got shot into space in a stasis crate and floated around for several hundred years before a random ship of scavengers found him. There is a short story about them finding him. It's pretty good because they are really loving stoked at finding this amazing piece of archeotech that is going to make them all super rich and then they realize what's in it. It does not go well for them.

Ah dang I did not know that! See this is how you'd expect people to deal with primarchs. Just tell him the crapper's over there and when he's in there whoops turns out you can jettison the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there any AoS books that focus on Destruction?

Goomspite is good. Though it is only semi Destruction focused.

Biplane posted:

Picked up my first AoS book, Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods, and its actually pretty drat good, but it feels exactly like a space marine book where they find-replaced astartes or space marine with stormcast. Again, I'm not complaining, I think the book is well written and I like the characters and story, but it still feels very much like a reskinned 40k book.

It's a good book. Though you must admit that Hamilcar himself is a more expressive and heroic then the average space marine.