Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Larryb posted:

Looks like Colleen won’t be voicing Tails anymore either (in the new cartoon at least):

https://twitter.com/VOColleen/status/1356440181226631168

Sounding more and more to me like the show has a new voice cast and Sega is going to use them in games going forward, like what happened with Sonic X.

Maybe Pollock is staying on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Veotax posted:

Sounding more and more to me like the show has a new voice cast and Sega is going to use them in games going forward, like what happened with Sonic X.

Maybe Pollock is staying on.

Pollock‘s the only one so far that hasn’t flat out said he’s not staying on (just that he can’t talk about it right now) so I’m guessing you’re right.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Eggman will be replaced with fan favorite Ixis Naugus, voiced by Mike Pollock in falsetto. Big the Cat will return voiced by John St. John, but with Duke Nukem's voice. They will be secret brothers.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m here to catch fish and find froggy, and I’m all outta fish.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m here to catch fish and find froggy, and I’m all outta fish.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh great, they think they're making Spider-verse.

To be fair, Dan Slott did the Zone Cop / multiverse stuff in the Archie comics before he did Spider-Verse, so if anything Sonic is taking it back.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I read this in Jon St. John's voice, but the Duke Nukem one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

Looks like Colleen won’t be voicing Tails anymore either (in the new cartoon at least):

https://twitter.com/VOColleen/status/1356440181226631168

She did the voice of Tails in the end credits of the Sonic movie right? I wonder if she's still gonna be Tails for the sequel.

I wonder why they're going for a bunch of new VAs for this show?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

She did the voice of Tails in the end credits of the Sonic movie right? I wonder if she's still gonna be Tails for the sequel.

That was her, yeah (she’s also voiced him in the games and in Sonic Boom since I think Generations). No idea if she’ll reprise the role for the upcoming sequel though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Almost certainly to save money. I imagine people who play a role long-term get a point where your execs consider making a gamble on a new cast to cut costs.

Unlike Nintendo, who will have Charles Martinet playing the same four plumbers on his death bed.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
There is no way this Netflix show is going to be good at all. Abandon all hope

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Generally seniority means ya gotta pay people more. Pretty sure that's why Ben 10, despite going on for like fifty years and I imagine having the same people pretty much the whole way through, completely reset itself like every three years.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There is no way this Netflix show is going to be good at all. Abandon all hope
When my friend linked me 'Sonic Prime' I had this weird bleary eyed moment of thinking it was a tie-in with that awful netflix Transformers show

It's not but it probably sets my expectations about right

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Spiderdrake posted:

When my friend linked me 'Sonic Prime' I had this weird bleary eyed moment of thinking it was a tie-in with that awful netflix Transformers show

It's not but it probably sets my expectations about right

Just to be clear, Transformers Prime is ace, the Netflix series Siege and Earthrise are blah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Screaming Idiot posted:

Eggman will be replaced with fan favorite Ixis Naugus, voiced by Mike Pollock in falsetto. Big the Cat will return voiced by John St. John, but with Duke Nukem's voice. They will be secret brothers.

Naugus predates the comics. Also he was a solid villain, and not a Penders creation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Naugus predates the comics. Also he was a solid villain, and not a Penders creation.

Yeah, Naugus first originated in SatAM (in fact, he was originally going to take over as the main villain in the cancelled third season).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you know ixis naugus isn't a penders creation because he has an actual design instead of being a palette swap of knuckles or sonic

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://mobile.twitter.com/itsamike/status/1356802546677989378

Definitely seems like Mike managed to stick around again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just to be clear, Transformers Prime is ace, the Netflix series Siege and Earthrise are blah.

Transformers Prime is a mediocre show with really high production value. War for Cybertron is a dreadful show with awful production value. Cyberverse is a good show with bad production values.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And Amy’s VA is gone too:

https://twitter.com/RedHeadSaidProd/status/1356795883321348096

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re replacing everyone except maybe Mike again like they did last time (which Cindy’s tweet seems to imply).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not that I'm complaining, but how does Mike keep surviving? This is like the second recast he's dodged right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not that I'm complaining, but how does Mike keep surviving? This is like the second recast he's dodged right?

I guess he’s just too good at the role or something (and possibly works for cheap as well). Though come to think of it, are there any other working voice actors in the business you think might make a good Eggman?

The Japanese actor got replaced around Forces or so but that’s only because Chikao Ohtsuka died.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 3, 2021

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

He did have to reaudition the last time the cast was dumped.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Why does Sega keep dumping their voice actors like this? This is the third cast change the series has gone through already.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Larryb posted:

Why does Sega keep dumping their voice actors like this? This is the third cast change the series has gone through already.

Money probably

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meanwhile, the Japanese cast has (with a handful of exceptions) remained basically unchanged since Sonic Adventure.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's just how voice acting works in japan

they never change established roles unless basically forced to.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Amppelix posted:

that's just how voice acting works in japan

they never change established roles unless basically forced to.

I think Tails went through a few voice changes before they finally landed on Ryō Hirohashi. But yeah, aside from that I think the only voices that got replaced over there were Big and Eggman (and that’s only because their original actors passed away).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

To save money Sonic games will now be sub only.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

I guess he’s just too good at the role or something (and possibly works for cheap as well). Though come to think of it, are there any other working voice actors in the business you think might make a good Eggman?

The Japanese actor got replaced around Forces or so but that’s only because Chikao Ohtsuka died.

It's a question, but it also makes a fair point, I can't think of anyone else to be Eggman except any of the guys before Mike and they've all passed away.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mike knows there's only one way to lose the Eggman role and I hope he voices him forever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m guessing Mike’s staying on mostly out of passion for the role at this point as I can’t imagine Sega’s paying him that much.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Maybe Mike is so good at the role and so synonymous with it that SEGA's willing to keep paying him.
Maybe Mike enjoys the role so much that he's willing to take pay cuts.

I can see either or. Mike is clearly super into playing Eggman and I think he's the only one in the cast that you can say "well, who else would you get to play it?" I've stuck up for guys like Roger and Jason a lot in this thread despite the bad hands they were dealt in their respective turns as Sonic, but I don't think you can say they're the only ones that can voice him, even at their best. And the rest of the cast ranges from mostly interchangeable to outright bad, hi Kirk, how ya doin'.

I mean I'm sure there's guys out there that can voice Eggman. But I don't want to think about it too hard because Mike is just that good at it.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 3, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Kirk Thornton is a decent actor in other things but I’ve never really liked his Shadow voice personally. I wouldn’t be too sad if he winds up getting replaced as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 3, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh, i thought thornton's shadow finally got good with forces (and later appearances like racing etc)

its a completely different approach to him from anything previous but it suits what they're doing with him recently (and i don't hate what they're doing with him recently, it's not really the same character but it's pretty funny and suits the tone of the series)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Amppelix posted:

oh, i thought thornton's shadow finally got good with forces (and later appearances like racing etc)

its a completely different approach to him from anything previous but it suits what they're doing with him recently (and i don't hate what they're doing with him recently, it's not really the same character but it's pretty funny and suits the tone of the series)

True, he has improved a lot in recent games but he’s still not one of my favorite voices for the character.

The ironic thing is that Kirk’s already got a perfectly decent Shadow voice in him (Saix from Kingdom Hearts), but early on it just felt like he was trying too hard to sound “edgy” (but that’s not necessarily his fault).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 3, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i know what you mean but it's absolutely not up to him what kind of performance the voice director wants

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kirk sounded pretty good in Forces. I don't know what was going on with that weird anime vampire voice they were having him do up until then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

Kirk sounded pretty good in Forces. I don't know what was going on with that weird anime vampire voice they were having him do up until then.

It sort of worked in Boom as in that version they were intentionally making him comically edgy but it didn’t really work that well for the main series. He did finally settle into a decent groove by Forces I’ll admit.

In fact, I could say the same thing about Cindy Robinson as Amy. Originally they had her doing this weird Minnie Mouse impression but once they dropped that from Boom onward she actually sounded pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Larryb posted:

I dunno, but honestly I think the current/outgoing cast is the first time Sonic actually had a good cast. The Adventure era cast was pretty bad for the most part IMO and I never liked the 4Kids cast.