Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Alien vs Predator

Crash Bandicoot
Streets of Rage

Thank you for some of these (even if some are actually game series with more than three entries in ;) like dragon quest).

However, in regards to the three above, I had no idea there were three AvP games. I only played the first two.

Also there was a Crash Bandicoot 4 and Streets of Rage 4 released last year and Streets of Rage 4 is amazing :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd say that any game that originally released as trilogy but later has additional entries still counts. Mass Effect falls into that category.

Especially where the original creator/studio stepped away from the series after the first three ie Phoenix Wright and Crash.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well I was trying to think of self contained trilogies and only ever three games and you are right in that Mass Effect does not meet that criteria because of Andromeda (which I completely forgot about).

I guess it does not happen much. Max Payne only had three. Sly cooper, Earthbound and Spyro too (thanks FAK).

3 and done is actually pretty rare.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andromeda wasn't a direct sequel and by the look of things appears to be getting Poochied anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spyro had way way more than 3 games not even counting skylanders

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Streets of Rage is no longer a trilogy!

IMO it's still a trilogy in spirit because while a 4th game came out, it was long long after the fact and there exists things like that Streets of Rage fan version of 3 or whatever that combined a bunch of stuff into a sorta supergame. It's more that there were 3 games and then it was kinda just there until they moved forward, not like other games where the first 3 might be the best but they kept developing more relatively consistently so the series isn't just based around the first 3 titles (see Resident Evil, Silent Hill, stuff like that)

VideoGames posted:

Thank you for some of these (even if some are actually game series with more than three entries in ;) like dragon quest).

Dragon Quest 1, 2, and 3 are all set in the same world and iirc 4, 5, and 6 are also set in the same world and both form trilogies in their respective series as a whole, similar to how there's the Final Fantasy X trilogy, or like how Final Fantasy 13 is technically part of 2 different trilogies, first being FF13, FF Type-0, and FF15, and the other being FF13, FF13-2, and Lightning Returns.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Well I was trying to think of self contained trilogies and only ever three games and you are right in that Mass Effect does not meet that criteria because of Andromeda (which I completely forgot about).

I guess it does not happen much. Max Payne only had three. Sly cooper, Earthbound and Spyro too (thanks FAK).

3 and done is actually pretty rare.

IIRC Spyro even went on to have an additional trilogy of games with some God of War combat or something like that. Crash Bandicoot underwent a revamp as well which resulted in a trilogy of games that were uhhh... Twinsanity, Crash of the Titans, and Mind Over Mutant I think.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Trilogy posting: I think GTA4 counts as a trilogy as well depending on how you look at it because you've got GTA4, GTA Lost and the Damned, and GTA Ballad of Gay Tony, and the argument can be made that GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas also form a trilogy.

There is also the 8-Bit series which is a bunch of RTS games themed after different major RTS lines. 8-Bit Armies which is Command & Conquer, 8-Bit Invaders (or maybe it was aliens or invasion, idk) is Starcraft, and 8-Bit Hoards (or Orcs or something, can't remember that either) is Warcraft.

And speaking of Command & Conquer, Red Alert 1 through 3 are pretty good though there is a 4th game but iirc it's more of an add-on to 3 than its own thing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Real art doesn’t do sequels, there is nothing more “creatively” “bankrupt”. Once I’m done with final fantasy viii and atelier Lulua, and get around to playing Hitman 3 and checking out the eventual re4 remake, I vow to stick to my principles and never play a video game sequel ever again, unless I forget, or change my mind

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jay Rust posted:

Real art doesn’t do sequels, there is nothing more “creatively” “bankrupt”. Once I’m done with final fantasy viii and atelier Lulua, and get around to playing Hitman 3 and checking out the eventual re4 remake, I vow to stick to my principles and never play a video game sequel ever again, unless I forget, or change my mind

They are ultimately just another canvas for creativity

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What is your opinion regarding games such as xenogears that are sequels to games that do not exist and never will?

e: legit disappointed the third zelda oracle game never happened

e2: is onimusha a trilogy?

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 3, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
^^ Fantastic. A future av for at least a month away if the poll stays the same way. I honestly was not expecting it to be leading.

It is either one sequel or tons of more entries. Very rarely do we have just three games. That is kind of interesting to me. :)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/GavinDYoung/status/1356776946923896832?s=19

This is what I assumed was the case. It's a near certainty that the real villain is either an Umbrella man, some kind of cultist or another demon child. RIP tall lady.

VideoGames posted:

It is either one sequel or tons of more entries. Very rarely do we have just three games. That is kind of interesting to me. :)

Jak & Daxter fits if you ignore that racing game.

While I enjoyed Jak 2 and 3 plenty I'd love to see the parallel universe where the trilogy iterated on Jak 1 instead of throwing it out of the window and going into sci fi GTA land.

stev fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 3, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

stev posted:

This is what I assumed was the case. It's a near certainty that the real villain is either an Umbrella man, some kind of cultist or another demon child. RIP tall lady.

the big vampire lady version of vaas

stev posted:

Jak & Daxter fits if you ignore that racing game.

plus the daxter game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's possible the true mastermind is even taller

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

She's literally taking orders from some other lady on the phone in one trailer so yeah probably. Though in RE the pursuers often keep coming back increasingly hosed up the whole game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Syphon Filter only had 3 games I think

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Syphon Filter only had 3 games I think

Nah, there were at least 2 on the PSP.

Its hard to find games that have exactly three entries

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Tail Concerto would've been a trilogy if they had actually gone through with making that 3rd game where you're a firefighter dog :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Mass Effect 3 is my favourite of the series and I never once played the multiplayer.

I am very excited to show Lady VG my favourite video game trilogy too :D

Trying to think of other good game trilogies (that only have 3 games) and I am coming up a bit of a blank.

Max Payne is one. I think modern Hitman is another. Post your favourite video game trilogies!

Timesplitters only had 3 games and they are all good, albeit the first feels unfinished.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

It's possible the true mastermind is even taller

In contrast the real mastermind will be really tiny. Imagine the horror of looking down and seeing the mastermind biting your ankle.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Once you get to 3 games the IP is a guaranteed seller so publishers are going to milk it for all their worth.

That said, can't believe no one said Warcraft 1-3 yet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

stev posted:

A character dying 4 hours into a Resident Evil game is still like 50% of a Resident Evil game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

A Sometimes Food posted:

She's literally taking orders from some other lady on the phone in one trailer so yeah probably. Though in RE the pursuers often keep coming back increasingly hosed up the whole game.

RE8 ends with Ethan finding a hidden lab in the mountains near the chateau where a monsterously tall woman fills a cavernous room. Is she the tallest woman the game has to offer? My lips are sealed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LawfulWaffle posted:

RE8 ends with Ethan finding a hidden lab in the mountains near the chateau where a monsterously tall woman fills a cavernous room. Is she the tallest woman the game has to offer? My lips are sealed.

When you find out why the woman is tall you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Clock Tower is a trilogy if you don't count Clock Tower 2 since in Japan that game was a spinoff that just had the name Clock Tower on it and didn't have anything to do with the series other than one object that was the same as one from a previous game.

Then again, I could say the same exact thing about Clock Tower 3, except 3 was designed as a main Clock Tower game and not a spinoff story like 2 was.

There were only 3 Echo Night games I think.

I remember when the Trackmania devs were going to try to make like a triumvirate of mania games where one was trackmania, another was shootmania, and then a third one would be an rpg called questmania. I don't think questmania actually got any kind of release and shootmania only had the one version come out I think and it is also dead now.

Are there any good vs fighting games that only had 3 entries not including ports/remasters?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

IMO it's still a trilogy in spirit because while a 4th game came out, it was long long after the fact and there exists things like that Streets of Rage fan version of 3 or whatever that combined a bunch of stuff into a sorta supergame. It's more that there were 3 games and then it was kinda just there until they moved forward, not like other games where the first 3 might be the best but they kept developing more relatively consistently so the series isn't just based around the first 3 titles (see Resident Evil, Silent Hill, stuff like that)

SoR4 is a direct sequel and imho the best game in the series since at least 2. If you're counting a fan mod in your consideration for whether or not Streets of Rage is a trilogy (as you should since SoRR is great) then you have to at least equally weight an officially licensed game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

SoR4 is a direct sequel and imho the best game in the series since at least 2. If you're counting a fan mod in your consideration for whether or not Streets of Rage is a trilogy (as you should since SoRR is great) then you have to at least equally weight an officially licensed game.

What I was trying to say was said better by stev

stev posted:

I'd say that any game that originally released as trilogy but later has additional entries still counts. Mass Effect falls into that category.

Especially where the original creator/studio stepped away from the series after the first three ie Phoenix Wright and Crash.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was Clock Tower 3 the magical girl one?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mega man legends, the misadventures of tron bonne, mega man legends 2...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 is the greatest Gundam game ever made.
breaker 3 is pretty good but let me tell you about a little game called gihren's ambition

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
There's 3 Celeste games now, that counts imotbqh

As for a fighter, they released 2 extra versions of darkstalkers 3, but otherwise it's just ports of the 3 base games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the best fighting game trilogy is street fighter 3

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stux posted:

the best fighting game trilogy is street fighter 3

third strike is the pinnacle of SF

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

weird way to spell super turbo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Was Clock Tower 3 the magical girl one?

Yeah, the one where you had to use a magic bow and arrow to sentence goofy serial killers to suffer for centuries in hell.

Then it was followed up by Haunting Ground which was just Clock Tower in everything but name and featuring a dog friend, and then Night Cry which was not a good game but it is a good representation of what a modern version of the early Clock Tower games would have been like imo. I wish it could have been a better game but as it is I'm happy it exists.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

third strike is the pinnacle of SF

its true

homeless snail posted:

weird way to spell super turbo

turbo is the game old people like because they dont have to deal with the pure skill expression of 3s

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
In vsav (darkstalkers 3) you want to just mash buttons basically constantly, even while blocking (especially while blocking) which plays into my primal urge to press button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I owned Clock Tower 3 at some point but never got more than an hour into it I think