Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
MByleth and marry Leonie. She's older than you so we're all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Amppelix posted:

and get hit +20 on everyone you possibly can

as a bonus archer is now one of the best early game classes possibly anyway so it putting all your physical units through it is doubly good

This is also why Ignatz really shines on Maddening: he has an inherent Hit +20 skill.

My first time through (Golden Deer Hard), Ignatz got benched pretty early. But when I did that route again on Maddening? That kid was a monster.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

MByleth and marry Leonie. She's older than you so we're all good.

Leonie is 19.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Fire Emblem is Harry Potter but with EVEN MORE war crimes.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Does Byleth really age during the timeskip? If not, technically they're younger than all of their students when they awaken again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Does Byleth really age during the timeskip? If not, technically they're younger than all of their students when they awaken again.

Unclear. Even if they physically age, they aren't really aware during that time, either.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Byleth most likely doesn't age physically during the timeskip. People will comment on how they haven't changed, and several endings imply that they're immortal after absorbing Sothis' power.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rimusutera posted:

Leonie is 19.

Oh oops.

Why did I think she was 22 then?

Probs because she's 26 at the end of the game and I'm just dumb or something.

Marry Leonie anyway, she's cool.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I saw a youtube comment that described her as the only character you'd trust to help wall mount a TV and I felt that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Prurient Squid posted:

Fire Emblem is Harry Potter but with EVEN MORE war crimes.

But more gay people and no terfs.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like at the beginning when Jeralt is trying to throw Rhea off on who Byleth is, and says they were born a long time after he left. Then you piece together from his diary and gravestone that Byleth is only 21. “Yeah, this is just my teenager. Oh you want them to teach all these other teenagers? Sure sure.”

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rimusutera posted:

I saw a youtube comment that described her as the only character you'd trust to help wall mount a TV and I felt that.

Petra and Shamir I could buy as well.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Everybody: Everything bad that happens is all Edelgards fault because she started the war.

Edelgard: But you could have just let me win though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
She’s not wrong.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Everything good that happens in the epilogue is also, indirectly at least, her fault. In particular Claude's goal of opening Fodlan's borders and Dimitri's desire to reform the nobility don't happen without Fodlan being unified and the church falling under new management as a direct consequence of the war, and if Edelgard hadn't started the war then Claude probably would have had to do it himself. In conclusion Edelgard is a land of contrasts.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Prurient Squid posted:

OK, so I'm marrying Edelgard apparently lol. Which I interpret as meaning that I'll be adopting all the other Eagles as my children.

Yeah, Taitlean Fields was rough. I blundered through it at unnacceptable cost and quit without saving. Looks like I'll have to start thinking again. Maybe tight formations against one big unit at a time?

I'm glad to see that Rhea is absolutely just as much of an edgelord as Edelgard and I'm starting to think that she's literally the woman in the opening cutscene.

fakeedit: Rhea is Drama Girl from Fat Dog Mendoza

I've found the easiest way to do that map is to travel clockwise with your whole army. You end up taking out Sylvain last, ironically. But I found it easier than splitting up my units.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Wow you folks weren't kidding about recruitment being relatively easy. I now have like 10% more people in my house than are in the other two houses combined. I've grabbed six students from other houses and have three more on my wish-list. Two of those three are at B support already and one has her B support gated by plot progression. Has anyone done a maximum recruitment run, where you grab every grabbable character? Seems pointless but maybe a thing to do on a later playthrough.

Is there any way to get Byleth to learn non-weapon/magic skills other than seminars and faculty tutoring during exploration? Like riding/flying/armor, that kind of thing.

Adjuncts build support, right? I've been mostly using them to pair off characters I want to see end up together. Is it every time the unit with the adjunct takes an action, or is it per battle?

I used all the early stat boosting items I got on Byleth and uh, it might have been a mistake. He's now an invincible demigod and the best combat strategy is to just rush him in the middle of the enemy lines and just sit there letting him counter-attack them to death. This was working when he was still a Commoner. I'm genuinely a little worried that my other units won't grow.

It's probably because I used a +move item on Byleth but also now that I've got mounted units there seems to be a huge disconnect between the mobile units and the rest of the crew. A lot of battles seem to be my forward line just cleaning house while everyone else slowly marches up to them. Edelgard as an Armored Knight (or whatever the intermediate heavy armor axe class is called) is indestructible but gets to engage like one enemy per map if she's lucky. Again this might be from turning Byleth weirdly OP, like maybe if he didn't have an absurd move and was able to solo maps I'd have to be more deliberate with my movement and wait for the main mass of students.

And finally, age chat: It's weird that Annette and Mercedes are besties, right? There's a six year age gap between them and they supposedly have known each other for a while. Was Mercedes hanging out with a five year old when she was eleven or something? I guess Annette is fairly precocious and Mercedes is fairly uh, simple, but still.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/Hakuramen/status/1158092367569666048

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

And finally, age chat: It's weird that Annette and Mercedes are besties, right? There's a six year age gap between them and they supposedly have known each other for a while. Was Mercedes hanging out with a five year old when she was eleven or something? I guess Annette is fairly precocious and Mercedes is fairly uh, simple, but still.

Mercedes and Annette went to school together for a year already.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I did the Dimitri map and literally all I did was sort my forces into two lines back to back and then it was straightforward.

Also I beat the game and lost a bunch of people at the last minute and thought "so what". Restarted the game on the same setting Classic Normal. I am not putting it up to Hard thank you very much.

Everybody: You took everything from me! My father, my mother, my sister, my uncle!
Edelgard: And yet if you never put up resistance all those people would still be alive. Curious.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

McTimmy posted:

Mercedes and Annette went to school together for a year already.

Yeah, that's what makes it weird IMO. If they met while they were in the same class at the monastery the age gap would be less strange to me. But the longer they've known each other the younger Annette was when they first started being friends and at some point that get's a little odd. I guess if they met like only a year before the game starts and were in the same class in that magic school it's not super odd but I find it hard to imagine a fourteen year old hanging out with an eight year old of her own free will.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I think they actually did meet in magic school. Annette is very smart, so she might have gotten in earlier, and Mercedes' family is poor, so she might have had to wait a few years, that's why they ended up in the same class.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

Yeah, that's what makes it weird IMO. If they met while they were in the same class at the monastery the age gap would be less strange to me. But the longer they've known each other the younger Annette was when they first started being friends and at some point that get's a little odd. I guess if they met like only a year before the game starts and were in the same class in that magic school it's not super odd but I find it hard to imagine a fourteen year old hanging out with an eight year old of her own free will.

It fits perfectly into my trans Mercedes headcanon though. :tinfoil: Obviously it would have taken Mercie some time to find herself but she still gets the chance to go back to school and do it as herself. And she befriends Annie because she's someone who actually accepts her and is cool with her.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Also I killed God but didn't hear any progressive rock which further reinforces my perception that I was on an Easter Egg route.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Digital Osmosis posted:

It's probably because I used a +move item on Byleth but also now that I've got mounted units there seems to be a huge disconnect between the mobile units and the rest of the crew. A lot of battles seem to be my forward line just cleaning house while everyone else slowly marches up to them. Edelgard as an Armored Knight (or whatever the intermediate heavy armor axe class is called) is indestructible but gets to engage like one enemy per map if she's lucky. Again this might be from turning Byleth weirdly OP, like maybe if he didn't have an absurd move and was able to solo maps I'd have to be more deliberate with my movement and wait for the main mass of students.

That's part of it but there's also spells for warping people forward when they're too slow to do it themselves.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Digital Osmosis posted:

Wow you folks weren't kidding about recruitment being relatively easy. I now have like 10% more people in my house than are in the other two houses combined. I've grabbed six students from other houses and have three more on my wish-list. Two of those three are at B support already and one has her B support gated by plot progression. Has anyone done a maximum recruitment run, where you grab every grabbable character? Seems pointless but maybe a thing to do on a later playthrough.

Sure can. I did a "best ending" playthrough where I recruited everyone for the Crimson Flower route after having seen the other three. It was pretty drat cathartic to have everyone possible on board.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Is there any way to get Byleth to learn non-weapon/magic skills other than seminars and faculty tutoring during exploration? Like riding/flying/armor, that kind of thing.

Once they're in a class that uses those skills, they'll get a couple points for every fight they're in, but you gotta do seminars/faculty training to get started.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Adjuncts build support, right? I've been mostly using them to pair off characters I want to see end up together. Is it every time the unit with the adjunct takes an action, or is it per battle?

It definitely builds support, and I think it's per battle.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

Two years ago to be precise, but yes, it was recent.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Digital Osmosis posted:

They met in magic school one or two years prior to the start of the game. The DLC adds Constance (who's a childhood friend of Mercedes and Ferdinand) and Mercedes tells Constance she met Annette in magic school and they should meet each other.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Digital Osmosis posted:

This is one of the reason fliers are super good. Wyvern Rider Edelgard even moreso because you get to buff her already insane attack growth, and Amyr's Raging Storm lets her clear whole maps by herself.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Edit: Also, Manuela is 34 and Hanneman is 51 which is waaaaaay farther apart than I originally thought. I thought Manuela was in her 40s. :psyduck:
In their paralogue, Hanneman outright says he's "15 years her senior", which is pretty much the best in-game indication of Manuela's age (as her profile lists it as "Secret" or something along those lines).

Digital Osmosis posted:

Both, I believe. The only thing about adjutants is that the Adjutant Follow Up ability is bugged. No matter the support level between the main unit and the adjutant, the chance of the follow up activating will always be dismally low (the chance of it activating is supposed to increase with support level). The other adjutant abilities (healing the main unit and taking a serious/fatal blow for the main unit) do work properly, however, provided the adjutant is in the proper class to perform those abilities (Monk/Priest/Bishop and I think Holy Knight for the former, and Brawler/Grappler/Armor Knight/Fortress Knight for the latter).

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The adjutant bug was patched.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

The adjutant bug was patched.
If it was patched, I've seen very little change in how often it procs.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

FE7 was my favorite GBA/handheld game ever by far, girlfriend just got a Switch and I'll probably buy Three Houses next. Pretty excited to rediscover the series as 7 was only one I ever played.
Got some heavy nostalgia reviewing the character images on the wiki, my boy Erk.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

If it was patched, I've seen very little change in how often it procs.

Its a 10% activation rank at no support rank and increases by only 10% for each level so its not like its that high a rate even working as intended. :shrug:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Also the bug was never that supports didn't work at all, it was that "+" ranks didn't work (which everyone has even if there's no convo for it). Regular C, B, and A ranks functioned as intended, it's just that you spend far less time in those zones compared to the "+" ranks thanks to plot gating and there being nowhere to go beyond A+.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even without the bug, attack supports are pretty underwhelming. They're player phase only, are useless if you kill your target (which is your goal for player phase offense most of the time), proc after the full round of combat is done so you can't avoid counter attacks with them and are generally low enough proc rates that you can't rely on them. They're really only useful for the safe, free experience and building supports. Heal and Guard adjutants have much more useful effects.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
It also necessitates that both the adjutant and the unit they're attached to can both attack the enemy at the same range.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

lol. Jeritza is the same age or even younger than most of your students. Hell, Byleth is younger than some of the students.

Age isn't really the problem here. You don't have authority over the teachers; you do over the students.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

So I've started again and this time I've picked Golden Deer in part because I want to assauge my guilt over killing Leonie in my last run.

Anyway if Edelgard was flirty Claude is winking at you and making finger guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost
My girlfriend has about 800 hours into this and wanted to share her love of this gamenow that we’re able to hang out again. Been having a good time playing through.

Anyhow, we were on one of the earlier prologues- Seteth and Flayn’s I think? I was frustrated with how the game was lining up my units and we were both lamenting the ability to place units, until I noticed that some units were in glowing squares, at which point I swapped Edelgard with Ferdinand. Girlfriend threw a pillow across the room and let out a cry of “....ffffffffffffffffuck!”

Definitely worth the investment of a switch!