Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I just thought it was funny how obvious his only non-engine-assisted game was. I'd never seen such blatant cheating before, most people at least play a couple goofy moves in the opening or choose a few second/third-best moves.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Looks like a 1200 rated player that won multiple games in a row with computer perfect scores.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Did you report him?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I reported him as soon as I checked our match on Stockfish. Still waiting on the mods to axe him. His rating is up almost 300 points since last night, lol.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Also I'm FacepalmingPanda if anybody wants to add me.

Hey that was a really good, close tense game we had today on chess.com. If you look at the analysis we both made a misstep or two in the ending that are good to learn from.

Edit: We each get credit for one full on blunder, too! I think ours happened on successive moves too so they canceled out.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 31, 2021

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Hey that was a really good, close tense game we had today on chess.com. If you look at the analysis we both made a misstep or two in the ending that are good to learn from.

Edit: We each get credit for one full on blunder, too! I think ours happened on successive moves too so they canceled out.

"Canceled out" is very generous. I don't think I've ever gone +2 to -60 in a single pawn move before. Great game though, super even until that epic blunder. Yay goon chess! :neckbeard:

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

When you hang your queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-U2THOF00

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I might be late on this, but looks like lichess now has its own version of puzzle rush: https://lichess.org/storm

I can only get around 30 :eng99:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

"Canceled out" is very generous. I don't think I've ever gone +2 to -60 in a single pawn move before. Great game though, super even until that epic blunder. Yay goon chess! :neckbeard:

a guy went from +60 to -60 in a single move against me recently

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

qsvui posted:

I might be late on this, but looks like lichess now has its own version of puzzle rush: https://lichess.org/storm

whoo man I had to really work it for a while just to get to 20. A few close calls at 18 and 19. Not sure if I even click fast enough to do much better. Seems like a really good exercise in flash pattern recognition though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Still relatively weak but I'm happy I spotted this sequence after I tempted the opponent's Queen to take g2:

From here use the light Bishop to give a check on c4, must block with Rook. Take Rook, King takes back.

Then put Rook here to make the Queen move to the safe square this turn, h3.

Except, next turn...

Getting there! Around 1200 on Lichess and 900 on Chess.com, but I can do these things more on purpose now instead of stumbling on them.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Artelier posted:

Still relatively weak but I'm happy I spotted this sequence after I tempted the opponent's Queen to take g2:

From here use the light Bishop to give a check on c4, must block with Rook. Take Rook, King takes back.

Then put Rook here to make the Queen move to the safe square this turn, h3.

Except, next turn...

Getting there! Around 1200 on Lichess and 900 on Chess.com, but I can do these things more on purpose now instead of stumbling on them.

That's a real nice combination, capitalizing on his lack of king safety and development overall, as well as your super strong bishop pair on the diagonals, and his overaggressive queen.

Edit - and this is the kind of thing I'm constantly trying to explain to new players, that if your development is good, rooks on open files etc. and your opponent's are not, great moves, tactics and combinations appear as though out of thin air.

Even if you're not calculating that specific combination, it's fairly likely to fall into your lap. Attacking your opponent's exposed king with your good bishops is objectively good. Winning the exchange is objectively good. Putting your rook onto an open file and simultaneously harrassing his queen which has only one flight square is objectively good. Just doing these moves because they're obviously good puts you one move away from the knight fork that wins outright, so you are so much more likely to see it.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 1, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qsvui posted:

ive maxed out at 22 so far. seems good at teaching me to quickly find knight forks when i already know one is probably there

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I have played puzzle storm and quite frankly don't see the need to play it again.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you’re spending too much time per move, idiot. the pro strat is to just take a wild stab at it if you don’t see the answer within 0.5 seconds

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hand Knit posted:

I have played puzzle storm and quite frankly don't see the need to play it again.

Nice

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Chess ethics question: I'm probably about to be in a rook and knight vs knight endgame in a chess.com daily game. Am I allowed to ask this thread about how to approach that kind of situation generally? The rules say I can't discuss the actual game, but it's ok to consult references other than engines, and endgame tablebases count as engines.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

Chess ethics question: I'm probably about to be in a rook and knight vs knight endgame in a chess.com daily game. Am I allowed to ask this thread about how to approach that kind of situation generally? The rules say I can't discuss the actual game, but it's ok to consult references other than engines, and endgame tablebases count as engines.

I feel like it would be difficult to ask the thread about features of the game without discussing the actual game.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Really the question is just "is it usually a draw". If that's too much though, I'll happily report back in a week or two.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

R+N v R is objectively a draw but hard to hold in practice. R+N v N is a win.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:lol: my first "brilliant" move

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what qualifies for the !!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Yeah someone please explain for my dumb 900 ELO self

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm guessing maybe that with the next move White's queen can pin Black's rook against his queen? But you're still a couple of moves from even threatening it with the knight so I dunno.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

fart simpson posted:

what qualifies for the !!

The consensus seems to be that it’s a move that’s better than what the engine came up with at the depth it normally looks at, but I can’t find a definitive chess.com statement on that.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

It's probably !! because it's quite a good move at that point compared to others:

Before the move White is a bit stuck - the Queen needs to defend the Bishop which in turn is defending the Knight, so these pieces are quite inactive: move any one and another is likely to fall. A very defensive position.

Black is on the offence threatening Rxf2 winning a piece and moving in on the white king's position.

This move (Qf5) protects f2 while activating the white queen. Black is check-forced to move his king, and so white gains tempo to move Nb3. There, the knight has pawn protection while guarding the bishop. One more move to get the bishop out of there and now white's pieces are active, and black is put on defence.

Whichever side the black king flees, white has future Nc5 and Be3/f4/g5 to join an attack with the queen, while black doesn't have too many lines of attack on the sheltered white king.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Without plugging this into an engine...

To me it looks like Black is threatening (edit) Rxd2 which outright wins the knight because the bishop is pinned and can't recapture. If the knight moves e.g. to b3 then it looks like Black has forced mate starting with Qd6+:

... Qd6+
g3 Rxf2+
Kg1 Qxg3+
Kh1 Rh2#

... Qd6+
g3 Rxf2+
Kh1 Qd1#

... Qd6+
Kany Re1#

If the knight moves to c4 to cover the d6 square then Rc2 wins the bishop.

So... Qf5+ breaks the pin and lets the knight move to b3 without allowing Qd6+ (because the check can now be blocked on f4).

Edit: I am wrong because f4 blocks Qd6+ after Nb3. Hmm. The white King still looks awfully vulnerable though.

Carbolic fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 3, 2021

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Carbolic posted:

Without plugging this into an engine...

To me it looks like Black is threatening Qxc2 which outright wins the knight because the bishop is pinned and can't recapture. If the knight moves e.g. to b3 then it looks like Black has forced mate starting with Qd6+:

... Qd6+
g3 Rxf2+
Kg1 Qxg3+
Kh1 Rh2#

... Qd6+
g3 Rxf2+
Kh1 Qd1#

... Qd6+
Kany Re1#

If the knight moves to c4 to cover the d6 square then Rc2 wins the bishop.

So... Qf5+ breaks the pin and lets the knight move to b3 without allowing Qd6+ (because the check can now be blocked on f4).

Edit: I am wrong because f4 blocks Qd6+ after Nb3. Hmm. The white King still looks awfully vulnerable though.

I mean the king is open but not in any huge immediate danger, I think the main significance is the tempo provided by the check allows White to shift their queen from being stuck defending the bishop to pinning and attacking Black's rook instead, which, I guess all in all makes it a pretty good move!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I would guess black somehow gets mated after Nb3-Be3-Nc5. Either that or the line is something stupid like Qf3, black trades on d2, then white wins the endgame.

e: Nb3 creates the threat of Qxa5-Nc5 which seems hard for black to deal with.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 3, 2021

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Zwabu posted:

I mean the king is open but not in any huge immediate danger, I think the main significance is the tempo provided by the check allows White to shift their queen from being stuck defending the bishop to pinning and attacking Black's rook instead, which, I guess all in all makes it a pretty good move!

Unfortunately Qxh5 isn't an effective pin since it runs into Rxd2 (as a not-very-good player I was immediately tempted by this but it just doesn't work). But as Apsyrtes points out, Nb3 frees up all of white's pieces with multiple threats and black will find it very hard to defend, though there doesn't seem to be a forced line. Black can still play .. Qd6+ Bf4 Rxf2 and I think that stops the quick checkmating ideas, you'll probably have to convert the endgame.

Promethium fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 3, 2021

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Puzzles on lichess and chess.com seem very different. I started off on lichess and have found the puzzles gradually increase with my rating to the point where I'm being served neat puzzles between some highly rated guys that are really interesting. They vary in type, but the quality seems consistent. On chess.com, admittedly I just started playing them and am at about 1100 so far, but the puzzles seem a lot more arbitrary. I get some with a pass rate of 1 or 2% that are really interesting, and then the next one will be some queen blunder where the soln is just to capture the hanging queen with a bishop.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

former glory posted:

Puzzles on lichess and chess.com seem very different. I started off on lichess and have found the puzzles gradually increase with my rating to the point where I'm being served neat puzzles between some highly rated guys that are really interesting. They vary in type, but the quality seems consistent. On chess.com, admittedly I just started playing them and am at about 1100 so far, but the puzzles seem a lot more arbitrary. I get some with a pass rate of 1 or 2% that are really interesting, and then the next one will be some queen blunder where the soln is just to capture the hanging queen with a bishop.

You might be surprised how often you'll get into a zone with the harder puzzles and then not realize when it throws you an easy one

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

It's been happening a bunch! Just got hit with some really simple mate in 1 after a couple of deeper ones and I blew it looking for the hidden fork or whatever. I think the chess.com method might be better, because it's exposing a weakness of mine where I often blunder or overlook basic tactics early on but generally do better in the middle / late game.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I think a brilliant move is when your move is better than the engine’s best move.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

For any goons that aren't on the Discord: the Calgary Chess Club is doing a series of two hour long grandmaster lectures, with question and answers from the audience, on Zoom on Saturdays (1pm Eastern, 10 am Pacific), open to all. I've done two so far (one on open files, the other on knight outposts) and they have been great. The next two will be by GM Evgeny Bareev (former World #4) and current junior World Champion GM Evgeny Shtembuliak. There are spaces for another 10 or so participants so if you'd like to join us PM me for further information.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I think a brilliant move is when your move is better than the engine’s best move.

sounds like you could farm these by memorizing some deep gambit opening lines

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm the king of exclamation points!!!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you will be

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

INTJ Mastermind posted:

In my case "so bad it's good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

I'm sitting around 1050 on chess.com in rapid, and it's obvious from looking at my results that I suck as black. I am winning close to 60% of games as white and less than 45% with the black pieces against players in my range. (The disparity is similar in blitz (52% win rate with white vs 42%), where I'm hovering around 800). I just started looking at the hyperaccelerated dragon in response to e4. I've been play d4 d5 and getting stomped in games that aren't QGD. Any suggestions for building out my black repertoire?