Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I can't believe those madmen at CA did both "each Chaos god has it's own faction" and "Cathay is not only playable, it's a main race", holy poo poo. :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

In excited to see what sort of engine improvements they've made.

I just want a siege rework tbh

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So if WoC isn't apart of the last TWW2 what's the chance the rework comes with the new version of ME?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Said meteorite may have been a warp-entity (or even tyrannid) that made the Ogres even more hungry, so they starting eating everything (including more of his subjects).

Well no, they stopped eating his subjects and headed west. They only started eating his traders after taking up residence in the only pass through the mountains of mourn that is useful for caravans, as part of the Warhammer Silk Road equivalent.

Also the problem was that originally the Ogres were so numerous they might actually devour Cathay, now they’re a much smaller number and live primarily very far away.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The "III" rising out of all the discarded shields and weapons with the final little music note gave me chills, no bullshit, and made me realize what a badass franchise this turned out to be, warts and all.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
The advisor smirking at the end of the trailer was thinking of all the people saying they'd eat their underwear if Cathay made into the game

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Lord_Magmar posted:

When the Ogres began eating his subjects, the Dragon Emperor summoned a meteor to smite their entire nation and drive them far from Cathay.

It turned fertile grassland steppe plains into a blasted hell desert, constantly besieged by winds smelling of death and rot from the great maw the comet left behind.
That must be because the crust of the Warhammer world is literally an endless field of skulls. I bet that stuff smells pretty unpleasant when you expose it

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Moltke posted:

From the steam page

"And there is one who schemes to achieve just that, an ancient figure who desires nothing less than to wield supreme power. But to succeed, he will need a champion…"

tell me that doesn't mean that Nagash will be a base race

It fits either Nagash or Be'Lakor. Bel fits better with the daemons theme, while Nagash would be cooler

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So the dude in the trailer has no reflection. Could just be an artistic oversight though

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

...and there's also a heavy implication Tzeentch is the main worshipped deity (they just don't know it).

If they're becoming a major race I wonder if they'll walk back this particular detail.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Moltke posted:

From the steam page

"And there is one who schemes to achieve just that, an ancient figure who desires nothing less than to wield supreme power. But to succeed, he will need a champion…"

tell me that doesn't mean that Nagash will be a base race

Just realised that Bel'Lakor and "Daemons Undivided" could be the pre-order race and honestly that would suck hard.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Cathay, eh? Pretty cool!
Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting them to go for it.
From the sounds of it, they seem to be working together with GW to flesh out their roster as well.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thread music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxlRJsQ7p2k

inject kislev into my icy veins

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

chaleski posted:

Goddamn, Mortal Empires with Asia and Russia added to it is gonna be bonkers

Do we know if the Warhammer world is round? The idea of Cathay defending against Chaos, Ogres, and Dark Elf slave raids or Kislev colonizing NotSiberia has me hyped.

(less hyped for taking three or four turns to cross the "Pacific" with Total War naval transport, but oh well)

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

KazigluBey posted:

The Free Race Pack needs to be either Chaos Dawi or Ogres, but isn't it going to feel weird for one or the other to be missing on the map until their eventual race DLC, given that they inhabit the center of the map more or less, with Cathay to the East and Kislev to the West (Chaos mostly North)?

Like, the absence should be felt quite keenly, especially since provinces need to be pre-prepared for their eventual arrival. Lots of placeholder factions?

They will probably be present without the DLC just not playable.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Deakul posted:

Thread music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxlRJsQ7p2k

inject kislev into my icy veins

No. It's this clip someone posted yestered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKWDRCH6xg0

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Personally this is exactly 100% what I wanted and I didn't think they would do it because of backlash! There is plenty of room within each chaos faction to look, feel, and play completely differently. I didn't dare to hope we'd get Cathay! I did expect Kislev but am happy to see what they do with it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Wow, was not expecting Cathay, Creative Assembly has really gone above and beyond on this one. I wonder if Warhams Fantasy won't become bigger than 40k thanks to the Total War titles (I mean, now you've got a Fantasy China, that's going to increase the market demand for this series dramatically.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuZ2pBShKEg

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Vagabong posted:

If they're becoming a major race I wonder if they'll walk back this particular detail.

Given it's the Advisor (think this has been confirmed?), the secret Tzeentch worshipper who reveals Cathay, maybe not.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Given it's the Advisor (think this has been confirmed?), the secret Tzeentch worshipper who reveals Cathay, maybe not.

I always figured he was just a stand in for Ernst von Horstmann who will eventually get LL status.

Cathay and Ind have not been fleshed out enough but they are not Chaos aligned either, even if Ind actually has peaceful beastmen who live among humans.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Do we know if the Warhammer world is round? The idea of Cathay defending against Chaos, Ogres, and Dark Elf slave raids or Kislev colonizing NotSiberia has me hyped.

(less hyped for taking three or four turns to cross the "Pacific" with Total War naval transport, but oh well)

The most I know of off-hand is that they've mentioned Dark Elfs sailing west around Lustria to go raid Cathay in... places? It's been a while.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
It says you can pre-order this but that option's not available on Steam yet, just an early thing?

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Paused it on the letter, and it seems like the tzarina is the one getting sent on an expedition while the Tzar (I forget their names lol) guards the home front.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean. Not of the good guys in warhammer have ever been like 100% boy scout good guys, it's not 40k, but there are shades of grey with the Empire, Bretonnia, Kislev (Katarin, whilst highly skilled and driven is a straight up tyrannical autocrat in the style of Peter and Catherine the Great) and the other Human and Elf factions. Cathay using the weapon of the enemy or harnessing the warp can without being straight up Saruman, can be a cool detail for them and also serve to give Chaos nuance (which typically serves to make Chaos more interesting.

Tzeentch being on both sides of the conflict in some manner is also extremely appropriate.

Womp posted:

Paused it on the letter, and it seems like the tzarina is the one getting sent on an expedition while the Tzar (I forget their names lol) guards the home front.

Oh. That's a nice observation. I'd have preferred Katarin in Kislev myself, but it still accomplished the same goal as regards start positions (though the way that letter read it did sound like Boris is dead, which is why I thought he'd be the one on the presumed missing expedition).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

He had that imperial cross thing on his neck, which made me think "Dogs of War"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dallan Invictus posted:

It is round but the west coast of Naggarroth is basically if Yellowstone erupted and the San Andreas Fault Line was constantly, violently active so it's drat near inhospitable and pretty much no travel happens across that ocean besides Dark Elf slaving parties. Chaos flows from two portals, one at each pole, giving them the ability to attack everywhere at once.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Considering how grim WHF is I wouldn't bat an eye if the ocean just fell off a flat plane into a loving hell volcano

e: oh not too far off

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Eimi posted:

I always figured he was just a stand in for Ernst von Horstmann who will eventually get LL status.

I'm hoping he's Constant Drachenfels, neanderthal super villian.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Womp posted:

Boris is her father and supposed to be dead, which is why people speculate he'd appear in teh Chaos wastes having somehow survived his death and just been on a bear and man crusade of loving up Chaos. There is no tsar though, Katrarin is crowned after his supposed death and she's not married.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Womp posted:

That letter is signed Katarina and sort of mourning sending "Yuri" on an expedition to the north. There's probably a made-up character who starts way up north like that siren lady, Katarina at Kislev, and ol' Boris (the Tzar) somewhere else. Or "Yuri" discovers Boris is alive up north.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
All the diplomacy conversations with Kislev have always mentioned the Tsarina.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I can't believe no one has said it yet

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kislev.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
As Loremaster of Sotek said on this livestream, Cathay means everything is on the table. They could easily support this for years and by the end, have Ind, Nippon, Snakemen, etc. I've been listening to his Legendary Heroes series on YouTube, and would love that as well. Give me everything you can CA, I'll buy it all.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
That was the Khemil guard getting owned by the bloodletters, right? I guess they've probably been demoted with the new ice guard unit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eimi posted:

Boris is her father and supposed to be dead, which is why people speculate he'd appear in teh Chaos wastes having somehow survived his death and just been on a bear and man crusade of loving up Chaos. There is no tsar though, Katrarin is crowned after his supposed death and she's not married.

Remember it's official that his best friend bear went on a REVENGE QUEST for the rest of his life after Boris was killed in battle. Marauders would just be sitting around a camp fire somewhere on the steppe and then a pissed off polar bear would murder them.

He had met the bear while out hunting, having gotten lost in the snow. The two wrestled for a bit, because they were both hungry and tired and ill-tempered, until they were set upon by wolves, at which point they teamed up to wrestle and eat the wolves, and he was declared high priest of Ursun shortly after when his retainers found him napping with the bear. This is apparently how they pick their high priests.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not for nothing but that CG trailer is easily the coolest Bloodletters have ever looked. Absolute butchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
For the Games Workshop point-of-view: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/03/watch-kislev-battle-a-bloodthirster-in-the-first-trailer-for-total-war-warhammer-iii/