Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
I'm still excited to try it, but the intro does seem to lean more into a musou game than tge actual game ends up. So just want to make sure no one is disappointed by expecting something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NameHurtBrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRoxMG2QYOk

That's a compilation of his various arrow'd in eye scenes. Never eats it. I guess Omega Force views it more icky than badass? With camera cuts it wouldn't be that hard to animate.

IIRC, in 7 and 8, when you play him immediately after he's still the two-eyed version and doesn't get the patch til next battle. Shouldn't have been much effort to, I dunno, have him pull off some cloth, show him off screen bandaging himself, then running off into battle like a lunatic?

DW1 though, he does eat it. And it comes with PS1 era blood.

huh, that's weird. I feel like I definitely remember seeing a scene where he eats the eye, but I've also definitely never played DW1, so I wonder how that image got into my head? Maybe I saw something else that's an homage to that moment or something.

Or maybe I'm thinking of kill bill (stepping, not eating, but still gross)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Nah, ya'll remember right. He eats the eye in a few games but they use his one-eye model for everything before 7 so you basically just see him pluck an arrow out of his eye patch.

I want to say the first time I remember it is Lu Bu's campaign in 3XL, but I could be wrong
I know he definitely does in 5, at least. It usually shows up whenever the battle at Xia Pi does, although that one doesn't make every game.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

He eats it in 4, or more accurately at least makes the motion of it

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Actually yeah, rewatched, in 4 he does make the motion, but not in 4XL which is odd. In 5 I don't see it(outside Dun looking away from where the enemies actually are to get shot.) Bonus stupid points for 9 where he resumes what he was doing in staring down arrow fire after losing an eye, making no move to take cover or prevent getting shot again.

Although unrelated I do like the little badass moment Yuan gets shooting the guy bragging in 8 nonchalantly. Xiahou Yuan probably a low-key darkhorse favorite character of mine.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

NameHurtBrain posted:

Actually yeah, rewatched, in 4 he does make the motion, but not in 4XL which is odd. In 5 I don't see it(outside Dun looking away from where the enemies actually are to get shot.) Bonus stupid points for 9 where he resumes what he was doing in staring down arrow fire after losing an eye, making no move to take cover or prevent getting shot again.

Although unrelated I do like the little badass moment Yuan gets shooting the guy bragging in 8 nonchalantly. Xiahou Yuan probably a low-key darkhorse favorite character of mine.

You don't get to be a legend by taking cover after getting a debilitating injury

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NameHurtBrain posted:

Xiahou Yuan has had a ride in Dynasty Warriors, hasn't he? He's gone from the boisterous blowhard who's only marquee moment is getting styled on by an old man to basically being the warm goofy dad of the Wei faction up until his death who's still badass enough to do the feats of his peers but draws attention instead in those moments to his relationship with his fellows.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Like a couple of other characters, having kids really made Xiahou Yuan chill out a bit. Zhang Fei is still the same despite having his kids though, Cao Pi was added in 5 but Cao Cao didn't get rehabilitated until 7, and then of course Dong Zhuo never changes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Give us hot dong zhuo in DW10 you cowards

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
There's already some precedent for it from latter-day Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, which did call back to how he was once a respected general:

Ah, now I'm thinking of how Cai Yong wept for Dong Zhuo, because he remembered that there used to be a good person (or at least a respected leader) in that dead body. :sigh:

Chachi fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 4, 2021

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Playing Song of the Sanada made me wish they made Young, Prime, and Old versions of all the characters. It's weird seeing a pretty young lady being described as a grandmother or an old man character who is supposed to be the son of someone who looks younger than him.

Are skins like really hard to make or something? There aren't a ton of them in recent games outside of DLC.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Cross posting from the Switch thread because :laffo: at them ever talking about games.

Morter posted:

Has anyone played Dynasty Warriors 8: The Definitive Edition on the Switch? How does it compare to the PC/PS4 in terms of performance/enemy numbers?

I have it already on the PC as I nabbed the base game for cheap (20 bucks) but now that i'm reliving the glory from my PS3 days, I'm missing much of the DLC.

That's when I found out about this definitive ediiton for 40 bucks. The DLC I'll want to get will more than make up the difference between the discounted price on the PC and the full Switch price. The weapons I want, the extra stages, etc, will more than bring the cost above the $39.99 of the Switch version. And yeah I could wait for a discount again!

Now I know the PC port isn't popular but other than the controller being a little wonky, I think it runs wonderfully. Constant framerate, bunches of enemies--much more than the PS3--easy to alt-tab in and out of, amazingly fast load times.

So, on the basis of getting the DLC, and having the game to play on the toilet/in bed/outside of the house (where??), it's mighty tempting to get the Definitive Edition.

So, how well is it regarding enemy pop-in and load times? Does it have a steady framerate?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Morter posted:

Cross posting from the Switch thread because :laffo: at them ever talking about games.

Joke's on you; nobody talks about games here, either!

(But seriously, I've never played the Switch port but from everything I've heard, it seems to keep up with the PS3/Xbox 360 versions in terms of enemy counts with better but still VERY variable framerates. If you've had a good enough PC that the PC Port has spoiled you in terms of enemy numbers and framerate, it might be jarring to go back to what's basically a last-gen port of 8XL.)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

That's the weird thing: Many reviews say "PS3" this and that for the PC port of DW8XLCE but the smooth framerate alone has blown me away.

I mean, as long as it doesn't get as choppy as, say, Age of Calamity (sorry), I'll be fine with it.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Morter posted:

That's the weird thing: Many reviews say "PS3" this and that for the PC port of DW8XLCE but the smooth framerate alone has blown me away.

I mean, as long as it doesn't get as choppy as, say, Age of Calamity (sorry), I'll be fine with it.

I mean, 8XL PC had some issues at launch, including performance in lower-end systems, but that was also in 2014. I'm not saying even a potato can run DW8XL flawlessly, but my Win Max can run it at 40-60 FPS in lowered TPD Mode and can keep 60 in all but the most visually busy stages like Chi Bi when running at normal settings (in layman's terms- a handheld miniputer can keep a good framerate when running at low power and can crush it at regular) at 1280x768 so I assume jut about any modern gaming-adjacent PC can do 60 FPS with zero issue now.

A lot of folks were also disappointed back in the day that the PC ports of a lot of Koei's games of the era were using the PS3/X360 versions of the games as their visual base and not the spiffier PS4/XBone versions. DW8, PW3, and SW4 and 4-2 at least all do this.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

lowercase16 posted:

Playing Song of the Sanada made me wish they made Young, Prime, and Old versions of all the characters. It's weird seeing a pretty young lady being described as a grandmother or an old man character who is supposed to be the son of someone who looks younger than him.

Are skins like really hard to make or something? There aren't a ton of them in recent games outside of DLC.

A pallette swap on a few would carry a lot of weight. I think in 6(?), Huang Zhong has a black hair color swap that really works for just making him look 20 years younger. The inverse would also work, slap some gray hair on people and it probably carries even if they're as smooth as ever.

Of course, it could also be fun if they used it as a method to play with things. Most of the new characters we get are Bishy as hell - very pretty boy without fail. A grizzled version of a lot of these folks could be fun to see.

Plus, who doesn't want to be grandma/grandpa obliterating thousands of mooks?

Chachi posted:

stupid sexy dong zhuo

Almost unrelated, but I'd really like some focus on the other factions. Maybe not elaborate as Lu Bu in 8XL(but hey that'd be fun), but give me a story where Dong Zhuo tells his own over the top revisionist history of being the good guy, everyone getting all bent out of shape about extravagant feasts and public torture. They just don't appreciate him.

Or a Yuan Shao version of Guandu that switches from as easy of a win to as hopeless a battle as Lu Bu's Xiapi finale.

I feel like the series weakness has always been hyper-focus on retelling the same story every time. They try to be different here and there, but multiple perspectives is something woefully underdone when both sides aren't Wu/Shu/Wei.

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 4, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

NameHurtBrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRoxMG2QYOk

That's a compilation of his various arrow'd in eye scenes. Never eats it. I guess Omega Force views it more icky than badass? With camera cuts it wouldn't be that hard to animate.

IIRC, in 7 and 8, when you play him immediately after he's still the two-eyed version and doesn't get the patch til next battle. Shouldn't have been much effort to, I dunno, have him pull off some cloth, show him off screen bandaging himself, then running off into battle like a lunatic?

DW1 though, he does eat it. And it comes with PS1 era blood.

I think he does eat it in DW4.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

but give me a story where Dong Zhuo tells his own over the top revisionist history of being the good guy

I'm suddenly reminded of the briefings for Dong Zhuo's version of Hu Lao Gate in DW3(Which played up his good intentions), so it's not impossible.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Vichan posted:

I think he does eat it in DW4.

I've heard that the motions he makes could potentially be interpreted as him eating it, but nothing is actually shown in any of the games after 1 in regards to the eye.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

To anyone who purchased the Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

(deep inhale)

Does anyone know what it takes to unlock things like costumes or guardian animals? For the former, I see some people have pointed out that beating a campaign gets you the extra costumes. Does this apply to ALL of the DLC?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
DLC costumes are unlocked as soon as you buy them. AFAIK none of them depend on completion. For DLC animals you have to clear their related missions.

Non-DLC animals are acquired through Ambition Mode and they can be used in Free Mode, not Story Mode. Doing the campaign missions unlocks alt-costumes for a few characters, mostly those who belong to multiple factions (Sun Shang-Xiang, Zhang He, Zhang Liao, etc. Others get slight variations like Sima Shi's mask, Xiahou Dun's eyepatch, Xu Shu's hood, etc. I'm unsure of when exactly the unlock happens, if it's either when you finish the campaign or just the the relevant mission, though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ah okay. For what it's worth the Definitive edition comes with (almost) all of the DLC so I was expecting more than a divine fox when I went into Ambition mode but I forgot that you unlock DLC animals via free mode.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is 8 the best version that is a "real" dynasty warriors game and not a major departure? SW4 was the last game i played that I was genuinely happy with in terms of the game's systems and how it played
PC preferred but ps4/ps5 is fine.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

is 8 the best version that is a "real" dynasty warriors game and not a major departure? SW4 was the last game i played that I was genuinely happy with in terms of the game's systems and how it played
PC preferred but ps4/ps5 is fine.

Warriors Orochi 3 is, but 8's pretty well up there. It's definitely the best of the main Dynasty Warriors titles in everything except specifically Story Campaign (that goes to 7.)

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

Anybody have any experience with ROTK 14, specifically with the new PUK release? I know the initial release wasn’t received very well, but I’ve got the itch to dive into one of these games and am hoping the improvements have made a reasonable amount of difference.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Samurai Warriors 5 was just announced for a summer release for the Switch. This was at the Nintendo Direct, so no confirmation on other consoles but it'd be shocking if it's not also on PS4 and/or PS5.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im very very happy about that. SW is my all time favorite behind sengoku basara (RIP US release)
ps5 model count and draw distance is going to be a treat.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1362174994604777479?s=20

Koei just admitting Nobunaga is the big bucks.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its interesting they're explicitly not making it for ps5/new xbox, but just making old gen versions that are compatible. i hope its not a very budget game, i don't think i could take another disaster after dw9

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davincie posted:

its interesting they're explicitly not making it for ps5/new xbox, but just making old gen versions that are compatible. i hope its not a very budget game, i don't think i could take another disaster after dw9

maybe its one of those where its on all the consoles but they only ever advertise it as being on one console like the ps4 and most of the recent CoD games

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Nobyoungada

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Davincie posted:

Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires is on PS5 and XSX but Koei's been talking a long time about making SW5 so my guess is that these were the target platforms a couple years back and a dedicated current gen version is coming later.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yessssssss gimme that sweet new Samurai Warriors

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am all for Sexy Nobunaga

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
bishounen nobunaga is something i never knew i wanted, but now dont understand how it hasn't happened sooner between mitsuhide akechi and ranmaru mori's designs

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
RIP evil goatee nobunaga.

Wonder since if this is going to be more focused they do the Sanada aging skin progression for the primary characters.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 18, 2021

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Looking forward to Samurai Warriors V: Kessen III.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Davincie posted:

nobody has those consoles

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a lot of people have ps5s, that number just happens to be a lot less than the amount who still want one. Xbox is a much harder sell when you can play the next halo that isnt out and nothing else of note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

I'm very dumb and haven't played a SW in a long time, which 3 people are supposed to be in that image?