Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Alternatively, break up with her and free her from having to witness your descent into madness and obsession before you end up driving cross country for a Castle Greyskull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My wife has nearly as many toys as I do, but they're fancy "designer art" toys from Kid Robot and things like that.

I made a completely self-imposed rule that all of her toys should remain downstairs where company can see, and all of my nerd poo poo is relegated to the office upstairs. I must hide my shame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Alternatively, break up with her and free her from having to witness your descent into madness and obsession before you end up driving cross country for a Castle Greyskull.

I HAD IT SHIPPED

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Nerd Of Prey posted:

My girlfriend is not the same type of nerd I am, but tolerates the toy collecting.

My wife is okay with a lot of my nerd hobbies, but most recently she insisted I buy the Lego UCF Millennium Falcon instead of a knock-off for us to build together, and she wants the Little Prince figure that boss fight studios is working on for her birthday. Hope it comes out in time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't think I get partnering up to build a Lego set. Do you just hand each other the pieces? I helped my wife with building one of the building sets but eventually it was just me building the whole thing, haha.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
A lot of Lego sets nowadays are split into individually numbered bags, so it’s fairly easy to split up.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Even the bag thing doesn't help much. Is doing a Lego set more fun and/or relaxing with multiple people? Absolutely not. But my friend moved in with us and my wife likes Lego so it's just something we started doing together. Two people can share an instruction book and the third has the digital instructions on a tablet. A decent activity when there isn't something all three of us want to watch on tv so we can just throw on a movie we've already seen and play with bricks. Also when someone gets distracted on their phone the rest just carry on. Eventually all this stuff will get disassembled so my kid can rebuild them himself assuming he takes an interest.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

In case anybody besides me is super hyped about the Thundertank and wants to know more, here's Pixel Dan interviewing Brian Flynn from Super 7 (at great length) about it.

Brian shows off an early prototype and gets into a lot of detail about the pros and cons of making toys in 2021, and breaks down why it's so drat expensive to make a huge, complicated toy for an extremely niche audience. He sums it up pretty well toward the end: "We're very aware that... It's a ridiculous thing. There's a reason people don't do this!" (That said, he seemed really optimistic/confident about hitting the necessary sales targets they need to produce it, and very excited to be making it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2jYVCKGglE

This video is actually part one of two, in case you want another hour of these affable nerds talking toys.

My preorder was already in for the tank... I didn't even hesitate.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I see a lot of complaining online about the cost of the Thundertank, but luckily I'm not a Thundercats fan so I don't have to worry about it. I can see why it costs how much it does. It's a big rear end niche item for a niche audience, and there's not going to be a lot of them made.

My time will come though. I'm a big Mythic Legions fan, and there's been talk for a while of a giant dragon. I'm sure that sonuvabitch could be 3 feet tall and cost $500, and I'm still totally going to buy one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People are trying to compare it to other crowd funded stuff but Thundercats is small potatoes compared to MOTU and Transformers. The price seems reasonable to me.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I see a lot of complaining online about the cost of the Thundertank, but luckily I'm not a Thundercats fan so I don't have to worry about it. I can see why it costs how much it does. It's a big rear end niche item for a niche audience, and there's not going to be a lot of them made.

My time will come though. I'm a big Mythic Legions fan, and there's been talk for a while of a giant dragon. I'm sure that sonuvabitch could be 3 feet tall and cost $500, and I'm still totally going to buy one.

I feel this way about the inevitable HasLab Galactus. No price could stop my Kirby-loving heart from pre-ordering it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
jesus gently caress

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

People are trying to compare it to other crowd funded stuff but Thundercats is small potatoes compared to MOTU and Transformers. The price seems reasonable to me.

Yeah, Thundercats hasn't had anything remotely successful since the original run and even that was, like you say, not as big as the heavy hitters of the day.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
It's weird seeing nerds getting confused about how large hunks of plastic cost more to produce, manufacture, paint and ship, I wish I lacked the critical understanding of how things work so I can mindlessly post misspelled nothing posts in Facebook groups pissing and moaning about first world problems, but alas,

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I am all in for the Mythic Legions Dragon and Haslab Galactus!

And I'm not an OG MOTU guy, but I am going hard on Origins. Wave 3 just hit my PoL on BBTS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got excited to hear Origins was dropping at BBTS, I really hope the deluxes drop this week!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh man, a haslab Galactus would really cool

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's totally going to happen. The Sentinel was such a huge smash for them there's no way they don't do Galactus in the same scale.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Brian explained in the interview that the tooling for the Thunndertank will cost them about $450,000, comparable to what they had to spend on Snake Mountain. Though it’s not as large, they have sculpted details on the inside and outside and a lot of little moving parts. So basically they’d have to move 1,000 units at $450 just to pay for the molds, and of course there are other costs. He said the Haslab Razor Crest sold about 28,000 units and that’s loving Star Wars, the most popular brand in history. He knows exactly how many people buy Thundercats toys, and they would be amazingly lucky to sell 10% of that.

In part 2 of the interview he talked a little about their plans for Silverhawks. He said vac-metal finish is not compatible with the type of articulation they’re planning, because it can only be used on specific types of plastic, so they will have to find the shiniest metallic paints they can get. He pointed out their recent metallic Voltron as a benchmark.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Not doing a payment plan for Unicron did them no favours.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Brian explained in the interview that the tooling for the Thunndertank will cost them about $450,000, comparable to what they had to spend on Snake Mountain. Though it’s not as large, they have sculpted details on the inside and outside and a lot of little moving parts. So basically they’d have to move 1,000 units at $450 just to pay for the molds, and of course there are other costs. He said the Haslab Razor Crest sold about 28,000 units and that’s loving Star Wars, the most popular brand in history. He knows exactly how many people buy Thundercats toys, and they would be amazingly lucky to sell 10% of that.

In part 2 of the interview he talked a little about their plans for Silverhawks. He said vac-metal finish is not compatible with the type of articulation they’re planning, because it can only be used on specific types of plastic, so they will have to find the shiniest metallic paints they can get. He pointed out their recent metallic Voltron as a benchmark.

I love hearing about this type of stuff, the transparency about the process of making toys and what goes into it really helps to both appreciate and put into context that it's not as easy as "dump plastic into mold, let dry, bing bong so simple".

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I had an idea a while ago of making my own Galactus out of a full sized mannequin, since even a Haslab one wouldn't be anywhere near in scale. Granted a 6 foot mannequin wouldn't either obviously but it would be a lot closer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe they'll go nuts and make him huger than the sentinel.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I got excited to hear Origins was dropping at BBTS, I really hope the deluxes drop this week!

I'm slightly annoyed I have them on pre-order, but haven't seen pics yet, haha.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Does Sentinel have a track record for doing re-runs of figures? I passed on the Chodankado Ryo figure, because I thought it'd be a one-off. But now that they're doing the other Ronin Warriors, I want to snatch them all up.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Agrias120 posted:

Does Sentinel have a track record for doing re-runs of figures? I passed on the Chodankado Ryo figure, because I thought it'd be a one-off. But now that they're doing the other Ronin Warriors, I want to snatch them all up.

I don't know the answer to your question, but the figure itself is awesome, and I'd grab him (and pre-order the others) if you can.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Agrias120 posted:

As far as I know they don't do re-runs, but some of their other figures are relatively easy to get for a decent price on secondary markets. I would recommend you to check Mandarake and the pre-owned section on amiami as often as you can, they usually update their stock on a daily basis.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Lencho posted:

As far as I know they don't do re-runs, but some of their other figures are relatively easy to get for a decent price on secondary markets. I would recommend you to check Mandarake and the pre-owned section on amiami as often as you can, they usually update their stock on a daily basis.

Thanks! I didn't even realize Mandarake had an online site, I've only shopped in their stores. Going to pre-order the Rowen and Sage and just camp out for a used Ryo that isn't super inflated.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has anyone seen the zartan/trooper wave in stores yet? I haven't had a chance to go looking but it sounds like people are starting to find them at Walgreens (of all places)?

My hasbro order got pushed all the way to March.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I haven't been a Black Series devotee but I started reading Doctor Aphra recently and I'm guessing I'm SOL for getting Aphra, 0-0-0 and BeeTee at a reasonable price? Any hope of a reissue?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Cloks posted:

I haven't been a Black Series devotee but I started reading Doctor Aphra recently and I'm guessing I'm SOL for getting Aphra, 0-0-0 and BeeTee at a reasonable price? Any hope of a reissue?

I wish. They seemed to have come and gone in a flash.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Cloks posted:

Aphra's available for MSRP most places, but LOL at getting the droids without paying through the nose.

Nevermind, apparently the six inch jumped in price since I got one a little while ago.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 4, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 3 inch ones are available pretty cheaply if you need something.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll just hold tight and see if they ever reissue them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

I’m still disappointed that the 3.75” ones reuse the old Threepio body, because it means 000 is hilariously short and his panels keep popping off.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Aphrodite posted:

but enough about your sex life.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Now that I'm past the point of no return with MOTU Origins, I'm trying to hunt down a few figures I didn't get early on.

The only guy left at Target was Zodac, but I really dig Zodac so that was a good find.

BBTS stock on wave 2 figures has been flipping between "preorder" and "sold out" from hour to hour as they increase their virtual stock and people buy it out again. I had managed to lock in a preorder last night for Orko, which I care about more than the other ones, but I was able to get in between sell-outs just now and lock in the 4-figure wave 2 set, so I canceled the lone Orko. They had Roboto actually in stock for a brief window yesterday so I grabbed that, even though wave 3 has been pretty easy to get at retail. I put in preorders for Teela and Man-At-Arms too, for the eventual wave 1 restock. Got to make sure I have that core team of good guys!

I'm holding off on putting in orders for Mer-Man and Evil-Lyn, even though they're some of my favorite characters; waiting for the alternate head Mer-Man and a non-yellow Evil-Lyn. I'm not too concerned right now about anything past wave 3 because hopefully wave 4 and on will be increasingly easy to get in stores.

At this point I'm still not really planning to buy every single thing in the line. There's certain guys like Ninjor that I didn't have as a kid and don't remember seeing in the cartoon, so they hold no real meaning for me, and I don't necessarily need every vehicle. And I already have two Castle Grayskulls (vintage and 200x) and enough is enough!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
In a non-shitpost post, anybody know if any sites are taking pre-orders for the McFarlane Batman Beyond figure? I guess Target’s exclusive sold out pretty quick and I have a feeling it’s going to be a pain in the rear end to find.

Somehow in the course of a decade McFarlane has turned into my most hated maker (outside Funko) to a company that’s absolutely crushing it. Got the Geralt figure in the mail today and it’s pretty superb, been loving their MK line, and hope to have Todd’s Spawn coming soon too.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

To say their space marine is beefy is an understatement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Now that I'm past the point of no return with MOTU Origins, I'm trying to hunt down a few figures I didn't get early on.

The only guy left at Target was Zodac, but I really dig Zodac so that was a good find.

BBTS stock on wave 2 figures has been flipping between "preorder" and "sold out" from hour to hour as they increase their virtual stock and people buy it out again. I had managed to lock in a preorder last night for Orko, which I care about more than the other ones, but I was able to get in between sell-outs just now and lock in the 4-figure wave 2 set, so I canceled the lone Orko. They had Roboto actually in stock for a brief window yesterday so I grabbed that, even though wave 3 has been pretty easy to get at retail. I put in preorders for Teela and Man-At-Arms too, for the eventual wave 1 restock. Got to make sure I have that core team of good guys!

I'm holding off on putting in orders for Mer-Man and Evil-Lyn, even though they're some of my favorite characters; waiting for the alternate head Mer-Man and a non-yellow Evil-Lyn. I'm not too concerned right now about anything past wave 3 because hopefully wave 4 and on will be increasingly easy to get in stores.

At this point I'm still not really planning to buy every single thing in the line. There's certain guys like Ninjor that I didn't have as a kid and don't remember seeing in the cartoon, so they hold no real meaning for me, and I don't necessarily need every vehicle. And I already have two Castle Grayskulls (vintage and 200x) and enough is enough!

You're gonna lose this battle. Enjoy your complete run of Origins!

They moved Stinkor back and put Faker in his slot.