Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Honestly, I would've been okay with that. Maybe not Jotaro learning a full on technique, but being able to channel it just enough and keeping it as a last ditch move.

Yeah basically this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gold Experience is just a stand version of hamon

e: also lol at the idea of Joseph successfully teaching anybody anything

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
A much needed shounen fashion video has been made! Jump to 4:23 for Jojo specifics. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh2w0dNqq-s

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

e: also lol at the idea of Joseph successfully teaching anybody anything

always thought it was funny that the group didn't drown or get the bends after Joesphs crash course in scuba during the high priestess fight

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Well he managed to teach Jotaro the family's secret technique.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the ultimate way to bring forward the ripple into part 3 would be if jotaro was able to shoot a laser from his finger like once a day and over time he's able to shoot more and also there's tournaments and at the beginning jotaro dies but is brought back to life so he can fight demons and

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the resolution of DIO's The World as is. Makes sense for it to be about Jotaro's strength (and to some extent Jonathan's bosy rebelling).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

the ultimate way to bring forward the ripple into part 3 would be if jotaro was able to shoot a laser from his finger like once a day and

star finger was the ripple

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

i say this every time but star finger is just zoom punch

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

fractalairduct posted:

i say this every time but star finger is just zoom punch

:hmmyes:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how zoom punch is just casually breaking your arm to hit someone slightly further away

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Sometimes you need to punch someone more than you need a working arm.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Sometimes you need to punch someone more than you need a working arm.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Joseph says something when introducing stands to the effect that they come from a person's life force that I've always interpreted to mean that they come from the same place hamon does. So a stand user learning how to use hamon would be like learning how to use their stand in a more limited way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Joseph says something when introducing stands to the effect that they come from a person's life force that I've always interpreted to mean that they come from the same place hamon does. So a stand user learning how to use hamon would be like learning how to use their stand in a more limited way.

That whole "Ghost Ripple" concept gets forgotten immediately after it's mentioned, though.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Speaking of concepts that are immediately dropped, if you can make a Stand super small, can you make a Stand super big?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Speaking of concepts that are immediately dropped, if you can make a Stand super small, can you make a Stand super big?

that's what star finger is

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
screaming STAR WIENER! at my partner in bed

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
rapidly oscillating my Stand between small and embiggened until it starts humming like a musical toothbrush

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

That whole "Ghost Ripple" concept gets forgotten immediately after it's mentioned, though.

To be fair, Stands are almost always based around a user's life energy/consciousness, even the ones that are dead, so the idea is still there. It's just never really brought up directly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Okay but seriously,

what is going on with Star Finger.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Finger get long

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Star Toes was rejected by censors as too horny

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

See, it's Shonen Jump so I can't believe that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Okay but seriously,

what is going on with Star Finger.

In theory, the spiritual projection's look can be influenced in a variety of ways. I can't say any specifics because manga spoilers but there are definitely aspects in future JJBA parts that show how a stand can have major or minor differences in looks depending on how the user wishes to manifest it. Not to say that there is a basic template of design but rather that there are changes that occur for a variety of reasons, be it from Araki just deciding to change up their design or actually important elements changing for reasons related to the story.

The idea behind Star Finger is similar to pressure. A lower pressure hose covers a wider, closer area but a higher pressure hose is more concentrated and harmful but lacks the spread of the spray. In a way, you can compare the Star Finger to the various Acts that Koichi goes through, or to Enya's Justice which can cause her to suffocate if you were to restrict its form into a concentrated form, or to any of the various stands capable of morphing its shape in some form or another (Geb being water, Khnum's face morphing, Yellow Temperance's body morphing, Hierophant Green's body stretching, Silver Chariot's weighted armor, Iggy's sand morphing, High Priestess' mineral absorption, Strength and Wheel of Fortune being tied to a vehicle presumably of their user's choice, Surface attaching to a woodpuppet, Clash's size changing in relation to the liquid it is in, and Killer Queen's stomach pocket).

It's just one of those things where it makes sense at the time but doesn't necessarily have a lot of applications that wouldn't be better suited by just punching them a whole lot normally and it seems like the kind of thing where the stand is capable of doing this stuff, just that it isn't the natural form it takes and requires more effort on the user's part to actually try that kind of stuff out.

At the end of the day, Jotaro must've got sick of it real quick since he used it to quickly end 2 fights against absolute losers before moving on to decide on just punching more.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
finger long

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

FirstAidKite posted:

In theory, the spiritual projection's look can be influenced in a variety of ways. I can't say any specifics because manga spoilers but there are definitely aspects in future JJBA parts that show how a stand can have major or minor differences in looks depending on how the user wishes to manifest it. Not to say that there is a basic template of design but rather that there are changes that occur for a variety of reasons, be it from Araki just deciding to change up their design or actually important elements changing for reasons related to the story.

The idea behind Star Finger is similar to pressure. A lower pressure hose covers a wider, closer area but a higher pressure hose is more concentrated and harmful but lacks the spread of the spray. In a way, you can compare the Star Finger to the various Acts that Koichi goes through, or to Enya's Justice which can cause her to suffocate if you were to restrict its form into a concentrated form, or to any of the various stands capable of morphing its shape in some form or another (Geb being water, Khnum's face morphing, Yellow Temperance's body morphing, Hierophant Green's body stretching, Silver Chariot's weighted armor, Iggy's sand morphing, High Priestess' mineral absorption, Strength and Wheel of Fortune being tied to a vehicle presumably of their user's choice, Surface attaching to a woodpuppet, Clash's size changing in relation to the liquid it is in, and Killer Queen's stomach pocket).

It's just one of those things where it makes sense at the time but doesn't necessarily have a lot of applications that wouldn't be better suited by just punching them a whole lot normally and it seems like the kind of thing where the stand is capable of doing this stuff, just that it isn't the natural form it takes and requires more effort on the user's part to actually try that kind of stuff out.

At the end of the day, Jotaro must've got sick of it real quick since he used it to quickly end 2 fights against absolute losers before moving on to decide on just punching more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pikFK75QQP8

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, the OVA doesn't look as good as the current anime, but the final fight between Jotaro and DIO has so much spectacle. Seeing Star Platinum chuck a section of a building at DIO is just :allears:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Episode 12 (the one with the car chase) is the best episode of the 90's OVA.
It also just so happens to be the one that Satoshi Kon was most heavily involved with afaik.

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 5, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
David Production is good but they really dropped the ball with the car bit

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FirstAidKite posted:

David Production is good but they really dropped the ball with the car bit

there are a couple of individual scenes in the OVA that are better than anything in the TV anime (the one you mention, also Darby the Gambler's freakout when Jotaro successfully bluffs him) but on the other hand, it's an OVA vs. a TV anime, that's not really much of a mark against David Production

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The only time I ever really feel disappointed is when DP omits scenes entirely. I think that might be partially in response to Stardust Crusaders getting criticized for being too long, but it's a shame that scenes like "I would like to steal a plane" get the axe.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Or the pages that detailed things like Akira's guitar or that whole "check out all the cool poo poo I can do with my calluses, like ziplining, and maths" thing

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Most painful cut for me is when Cheap Trick orders all that poo poo over the phone

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rohan’s live on Netflix now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/McMovieMan/status/1362311099614253067?s=19

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Watching the Millionaire Village episode now, early in the episode the editor has a tablet PC, did those even exist back in 2001 or whenever this takes place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe it was an Apple Newton