Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Krataar posted:

I actually have a seed with fire ice and a tidal locked planet. How do I find my seed number?

Hit ESC to bring up the menu. Where it says Cluster[number]-[number]-[number] is the seed information.

First number is the seed. Second is the number of star systems (since that does affect the generator). Third is...I dunno...maybe the system you start on if that becomes a feature?

Right now I'm on Cluster11264680-64-A10. Dual-moon system with fire-ice on the tundra planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rynoto posted:

God building mode isn't a cheat mode. It's just a better way for building en masse and highly recommended.

Why the hell have I never thought to build in god mode?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Well I don't want to be a god. I just want to be a humble mech that slowly but surely paves over the universe.

There is no god here, it is not a place of honor.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I see a lot of people are building solar at the poles, is the sun intensity uniform for each planet and it's just sun/shade or is it higher at the equator like it would be IRL? I have really only just started loving with solar power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scaevolus posted:

There's the energy exchanger which,seems like it would do what you want but I set two up in a charge/discharge loop and it would constantly drain accumulators, not just on-demand. :iiam:

They are very, very good for power density, given they each output 45MW of power so a tower with a few around it can consume/dispense a gigantic amount of power in a small space.

But yes they do unfortunately not regulate their output if your demand drops, so you do waste a fair bit of power. On the plus side at least that makes them fairly easy to balance, you just need a charger at the source planet for every one at the consumer planets.

Jarmak posted:

I see a lot of people are building solar at the poles, is the sun intensity uniform for each planet and it's just sun/shade or is it higher at the equator like it would be IRL? I have really only just started loving with solar power.

The sun intensity does drop as the sun reaches the horizon but generally on the poles it is possible to achieve more uptime, possibly because the planets are so small that the curvature doesn't obstruct things much. During the summer months the panels will normally operate close to optimal efficiency for the planet. During winter they will operate at reduced efficiency or cut out entirely depending on the axial tilt, but on average you will get more uptime out of polar panels than equatorial ones, especially if your axial tilt is fairly low.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 3, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sprocket posted:

Since you commented on it being a pain in the rear end are you aware of the god building mode in gameplay options? With a mouse turbo clicker I can place them in a perfectly aligned straight line faster than my bots can keep up with. I just hold down the button I set to left click turbo and then shift right click when needed to move up to stay in building range. It makes building en masse SO much easier.

Using a turbo clicker also works well for mass removal of things like panels. Just swipe your mouse over them whilst holding down the button and watch em all disappear.

I was not aware of this mode at all. Thanks for pointing it out!

I do hope that the developers take some of the Factorio quality of life like being able to hold down the mouse to plant buildings in a row, or being able to designate an area of machines/items for deconstruction. Just like I am sure they will add in-place upgrades for belts/sorters/assemblers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jarmak posted:

The poles are in permanent twilight, assuming there's no axial tilt or orbital inclination to bugger it all up. So you get less power per panel, since the light is less intense, but it's pretty consistent. Even with axial tilt (e.g. seasons), building at both poles mostly averages out the Everlasting Light and Unending Darkness phases of the solar year, so it still adds constant power

That said an equatorial power belt is just as good for much the same reason, assuming light-intensity vs output power is linear

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 3, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Doing the whole planetary circling solar panels is really only worth it on your starter planet as once you set up your fractionators and get fusion rolling it'll supply all your power needs in a much smaller space.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rynoto posted:

Doing the whole planetary circling solar panels is really only worth it on your starter planet as once you set up your fractionators and get fusion rolling it'll supply all your power needs in a much smaller space.

I have an arid planet with high sun intensity in my starter system so I've been toying with the idea of making it an energy hub, but I'm not fully up on the best ways to transfer power between planets yet.

I'm curious if people have done actual testing on the polar consistency vs equatorial intensity question or it's been mostly intuitive user experience? It's the sort of thing I'd expect intuitive experience might not match the actual numbers so I might try to do some experiments on my spice solar planet before hooking it all together.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Is there any way to stop this drat message from repeating every time I start the game and touch the foundation button? I've disabled tips in settings, that's not it. Also happens with a bunch of other things like production stats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jarmak posted:

I have an arid planet with high sun intensity in my starter system so I've been toying with the idea of making it an energy hub, but I'm not fully up on the best ways to transfer power between planets yet.

I'm curious if people have done actual testing on the polar consistency vs equatorial intensity question or it's been mostly intuitive user experience? It's the sort of thing I'd expect intuitive experience might not match the actual numbers so I might try to do some experiments on my spice solar planet before hooking it all together.

The only way to do it that I am aware of is using energy exchangers, which take empty batteries as items, charge them, and output them as full battery items, then you can ship them via logistics to other planets and discharge them using the same exchanger in discharge mode.

I am currently providing 200MW of power to my main factory planet by doing this from an otherwise unused planet in the same system with favorable wind and better solar output.

I haven't actually done any numerical testing but I will say that on a 1 degree axial tilt world the solar panels right on the pole operate at peak efficiency all the time, so I can't tell you numerically how it works but I can definitively say that polar positioning is better than equatorial positioning, and that should hold true regardless of the planet's properties, because being on the pole always confers better visibility to the star because the atmospheric occlusion is very generous to the solar panels.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 3, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a way to build a huge row of buildings like there is for laying conveyor belts?

Building this equator solar power strip is a pain in the arse for lining up every building and clicking one at a time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kin posted:

Is there a way to build a huge row of buildings like there is for laying conveyor belts?

Building this equator solar power strip is a pain in the arse for lining up every building and clicking one at a time.

As others have mentioned above the god building mode will cause the camera to skip at the same interval each time, so you only need to line two of them up and then mash the clicks to lay out a whole line of them.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The only way to do it that I am aware of is using energy exchangers, which take empty batteries as items, charge them, and output them as full battery items, then you can ship them via logistics to other planets and discharge them using the same exchanger in discharge mode.

I am currently providing 200MW of power to my main factory planet by doing this from an otherwise unused planet in the same system with favorable wind and better solar output.

I haven't actually done any numerical testing but I will say that on a 1 degree axial tilt world the solar panels right on the pole operate at peak efficiency all the time, so I can't tell you numerically how it works but I can definitively say that polar positioning is better than equatorial positioning.

gotcha, If I get ambitious maybe I'll try to setup some experiments to try to get some concrete numbers, but with the planets so (relatively) small it makes sense.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

My innermost planet is arid and tidal locked with 133% solar output :smug:

And with the latest logistics changes, I can actually ship small quantities of accumulators around!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

As others have mentioned above the god building mode will cause the camera to skip at the same interval each time, so you only need to line two of them up and then mash the clicks to lay out a whole line of them.

Ah sorry missed that, I've been building solar panels for the last 15 minutes, my eyes are numb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The need to put them on the pole though is more of a consideration if you have a limited number of panels, or you want to use other parts of the planet for something else.

Building on the poles can be janky but I think it is specifically just different, if you want to build in loops it is very good for that, if you want to lay out more like a grid then you want lower latitudes.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Is there any way to stop this drat message from repeating every time I start the game and touch the foundation button? I've disabled tips in settings, that's not it. Also happens with a bunch of other things like production stats.

Foundation, a terrain leveling tool, yet we cannot use it to change the planetary landforms at will. We can only level the surface to ground zero. If the foundation is used for high grounds, it will gain soil pile; on the contrary, if it is used on the ocean or low-lying areas, it must consume soil pile. When installing the foundation, either choose a kind of decoration, or without decoration, even only surface leveling.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Well I can't quite figure out a use for energy exchangers, other than building a manual jumpstart for your base. Was hoping this would let me charge all accumulators in my grid faster but I have to feed them in and also manually tell it to charge or discharge, so I can't just have a container of batteries waiting to be used automatically.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Exchangers have the problem of always being on whenever set to discharge so you either need to balance how many you have running at once or just eat the loss each cycle.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i found an arid planet thats full of hills and im so happy
i've got 2 million soil and i havent even farmed a 10th of it yet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Well I can't quite figure out a use for energy exchangers, other than building a manual jumpstart for your base. Was hoping this would let me charge all accumulators in my grid faster but I have to feed them in and also manually tell it to charge or discharge, so I can't just have a container of batteries waiting to be used automatically.

The point of them is that they charge/discharge batteries in item form. They are designed for transferring electric power between planets.

If you want a stockpile of energy that's what the built accumulators are for.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I belt in empty batteries to charge them then belt them out into a chest so I can get stacks to make the vacuum tower things for the gas giant. I haven't hosed with sending them to power other planets yet because the fuel rods do the job pretty well right now and it's one less trip to make.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oh one useful thing I found is both types of logistics towers work totally unpowered as long as you don't want to home any carriers or drones there. Other towers with power and workers will totally fetch and drop off with unpowered towers. This can be a big help in bootstrapping a new mining base when power is thin and the interstellar tower will cripple your grid when it tries to charge.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Ambaire posted:

Just use a splitter (really should be called a junction) for the loop and have the loop belt input be priority.

Just as an FYI for anyone that has not twigged yet, all gases are considered fluids, and can be stored in the fluid containers, which hold 10k each and can be stacked. Fluid containers also belt straight in and don't need sorters

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The point of them is that they charge/discharge batteries in item form. They are designed for transferring electric power between planets.

If you want a stockpile of energy that's what the built accumulators are for.

that's kind of cool. drat...hrm...giving me some ideas.

space ideas

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mrmcd posted:

Oh one useful thing I found is both types of logistics towers work totally unpowered as long as you don't want to home any carriers or drones there. Other towers with power and workers will totally fetch and drop off with unpowered towers. This can be a big help in bootstrapping a new mining base when power is thin and the interstellar tower will cripple your grid when it tries to charge.

I like this lateral thinking and I assume this is why you can turn off power notifications lol. I may make spaghetti, but I'm not about to have blinking warnings constantly going off.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Slamming into a planet at 2000m/s is so satisfying. After all those fiddly KSP orbital maneuvers, it's nice to have the optimal transit method be "full burn at target and ram it".

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010
The devs added some new sliders to logistics stations that addressed all my previous complaints. Now you can set a maximum range that vessels/drones will travel from a tower. Haven't tested if it actually works as it should, but I assume it does. Time to move to a third system now and really build a full sphere.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

NumptyScrub posted:

Just as an FYI for anyone that has not twigged yet, all gases are considered fluids, and can be stored in the fluid containers, which hold 10k each and can be stacked. Fluid containers also belt straight in and don't need sorters

They also function as basic 4-way single-level splitters since they have an attach point on each side.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

thark posted:

I mean, they're selling to the same audience as Factorio, probably the most thoroughly optimized game of the modern age.

It's not really surprising that the kind of people that design games based around optimization of complex logistics also end up making some of the most well optimised games around.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Scaevolus posted:

Slamming into a planet at 2000m/s is so satisfying. After all those fiddly KSP orbital maneuvers, it's nice to have the optimal transit method be "full burn at target and ram it".

This! And jumping into low orbit on your own planet to get around faster and skipping off your factory before coming to a stop, it's always hilarious.

Ok I got a fully automated accumulator factory setup using my roboports, this rules. I've lined most of my solar ring with accumulators but decided to branch out into a giant cube of them. Also covered one of the poles with them....maybe I should just cover one half of the drat globe with solar and accumulators, screw having to worry about power from the dyson ever.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ambaire posted:

Just use a splitter (really should be called a junction) for the loop and have the loop belt input be priority.

Is this an obvious layout thing I've just missed a tooltip for or something?

You've got one conveyor going through those building essentially and the output is at the front?

Everything I've build so far, including my groups of smelters, assemblers and oil refineries have each had an individual conveyor belt running an input into it from the main line. In that picture above, i'd have had a conveyor running around the back of those buildings with splitters and a single conveyor running down between each one. Do i not have to do that?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OH SNAP! Extreme storage towers!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it says anywhere in the rulebook that the dyson sphere has to contain the star, it's a sphere made of solar panels orbiting around a star, ergo my planet covered in solar panels is a dyson sphere.

Kin posted:

Is this an obvious layout thing I've just missed a tooltip for or something?

You've got one conveyor going through those building essentially and the output is at the front?

Everything I've build so far, including my groups of smelters, assemblers and oil refineries have each had an individual conveyor belt running an input into it from the main line. In that picture above, i'd have had a conveyor running around the back of those buildings with splitters and a single conveyor running down between each one. Do i not have to do that?

Fractionaters specifically work by running hydrogen through them, and 1% of the hydrogen that runs through them is converted into deuterium and spat out the front. It's only fractionators that work that way, and generally the ideal way to build them involves making a conveyor loop that just runs hydrogen in circles with the fractionators forming part of the loop, then another line taking the deuterium they spit out the front.

They and some other buildings connect inline with the conveyor network, no sorters needed, but most of the production buildings need sorters to transfer to and from belts.

I certainly would like a lategame version of the smelter and assembler that can connect inline so you can shovel an entire planet's worth of materials into it and poo poo out giant piles of stuff.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 3, 2021

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Zurai posted:

They also function as basic 4-way single-level splitters since they have an attach point on each side.
They don't do balanced outputs though, they prefer certain outputs first.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think it says anywhere in the rulebook that the dyson sphere has to contain the star, it's a sphere made of solar panels orbiting around a star, ergo my planet covered in solar panels is a dyson sphere.

exactly! would be cool if I could have a planet full of hamsters on wheels and it's just railgunning full accumulators into my ocean planet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Power is my cocaine now

paved and ready

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 3, 2021

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

Power is my cocaine now

maybe power AND timg tags? 2 drugs better than one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

awesmoe posted:

maybe power AND timg tags? 2 drugs better than one?

weed is the second drug