Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ehh, who cares.
Granted, I've always associated HD with Hells Angels and old guys on baggers, usually with straight pipes. It's not a brand I would ever want to be associated with.

HD falling on their sword to protect our ethics, getting no appreciation for their sacrifice. It's like the "go on! get out of here!" scenes from 80s adopted wild animal movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

The original XR1200 is/was a great bike and NO ONE BOUGHT IT because HD has been almost entirely focused on cruisers, baggers, boomers, and bar-hoppers for 30+ loving years.

Of course typical Harley buyers weren't interested to begin with. The question is, did other people not buy it because they didn't/wouldn't consider a HD, or because was objectively still not a very good bike? Probably relatively expensive too. It would never be more than a niche model. The Indian FTR1200 will never be more than a niche model either. The fact that it doesn't have as archaic an engine might attract some buyers, turn off others. The Sportster engine hobbled Buells but with an SV1000 engine they still wouldn't have sold well. I've seen a single Cagiva Raptor in my lifetime while I see a couple of Buell XBs every summer.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLbVbMyS5k

My brother has gone over his 1988 Jawa 350 and fitted the 3rd new tire today on the Velorex 700 sidecar. All 3 are TKC 80 M+S with street legal studs.
Bike is now safe to actually properly test out. This weekends forecast is -6c /21f with sun and clear skies, good weather for proper testing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That thing is unbelievably cool

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That thing is unbelievably cool

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I didn't learn my lesson with owning the Duke 390 for the last 4 years and went out and bought myself another KTM

I bought the 1290 SuperDuke GT because, "It's pants on head stupid, the maintenance costs are about the same as the BMW S1000XR I was also looking at, and I got it for 16K out the door with zero miles on it."

I did a lot of phone calls and dealing on this purchase, even made plans to do a fly and ride all the way out to Washington state from Texas when I found this one close by. I bought it, and immediately rode it 200 miles home. It's surprisingly comfy.

Now I can do all the new fancy integration tricks:

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 3, 2021

dema
Aug 13, 2006

So good Skreemer. Congrats.

The RC390 still super temperamental these days? Can they be sorted out with preventative maintenance? Getting a pickup truck next week and kinda want an inexpensive and lower power to bike to dip my toes into track days with. Always dug the way the RC390 looks.

Also, rode today:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They haven't released a 2021 version of the RC390 yet, whereas (almost all) the rest of their lineup has 2021 at this point. There might be a new RC390 coming out later this year or possibly an RC490; KTM confirmed the 490 platform targeting ~60hp.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/sneaky-peek-motogp-inspired-ktm-rc390%85-or-it-rc490

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Supradog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLbVbMyS5k

My brother has gone over his 1988 Jawa 350 and fitted the 3rd new tire today on the Velorex 700 sidecar. All 3 are TKC 80 M+S with street legal studs.
Bike is now safe to actually properly test out. This weekends forecast is -6c /21f with sun and clear skies, good weather for proper testing.

helmet? nah fam. over-ear hearing protection.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

dema posted:

The RC390 still super temperamental these days? Can they be sorted out with preventative maintenance? Getting a pickup truck next week and kinda want an inexpensive and lower power to bike to dip my toes into track days with. Always dug the way the RC390 looks.

Also, rode today:

I've got a 2016 Duke 390, so not only to I have the street version, I have the gen1 version, which suits me just fine. As a new rider there may be some issues with the low end fueling on/off the throttle if you're not used to it, but then again it feels to me like when I made the switch from carb bikes to FI, everything felt weird directly on/off throttle. The bike is really light so it's also fairly forgiving if you make the wrong inputs, and I've done a little of everything on mine from attempting to find curvy roads, camping off of it, and used it as a daily commuter for a few years.

I will say on the Gen1 versions, check the airbox on the right side of the bike and see if it's been cracked or there's been a bodge repair done to it. for some reason on the Gen1 bikes there's an issue where a plastic welded section lets go and then just gets worse and worse with the single cylinder vibes.

If you want a "cheap" track day bike I might steer you towards a used SV650, find one not too shagged out or that's been converted to track use already. While riding the 390 on a track is cool (went on COTA once with mine), it's also a lesson in frustration as you will get passed by the next group or lapped by your own group depending on the track.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dema posted:

Also, rode today:

You have a Honda, you are not prepared for an Indian built ktm. Anecdotally, on top of the million other things, those routinely race against and lose to Hyosungs and Ninja 300's despite being faster, because the latter two are able to consistently finish races without breaking.

Just get an r3, it'll do in reality what the rc390 does in your imagination.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Slavvy posted:

You have a Honda, you are not prepared for an Indian built ktm. Anecdotally, on top of the million other things, those routinely race against and lose to Hyosungs and Ninja 300's despite being faster, because the latter two are able to consistently finish races without breaking.

I had a 2nd Gen 390 and had a perfect day group ride to the beach ruined by a lovely oil screen sensor showing catastrophic oil pressure failure 100 Kms from the dealer. Also it's a JACK HAMMER after 9,000 Kms even with the official AKRA.

I also had a first gen MT03 which was so smooth in comparison that everyonce in a while I forgot it was on due to how smooth it was. It was like 1:1 Trottle to beginner brain.

Also had a 2009 Honda VTR250 with an IXIL exhaust that I should have NEVER sold because it was so well put together and my friend enjoys it to this day laughing at me for selling it to him.

Conclusion, learn from my pain and get an R3.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Get a newer R3.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Get a newer R3.

A good point, the ones with USD forks are a huge improvement in terms of feel and stability. I don't think there are any other meaningful differences, the engine and frame appear identical but I've not ridden the two back to back.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Slavvy posted:

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Get a newer R3.

I have one. Throwing it into curves is just the best thing. It’s like it knows you wanna smile and tries it’s hardest to make it happen.

My bike is like a dog.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

I have one. Throwing it into curves is just the best thing. It’s like it knows you wanna smile and tries it’s hardest to make it happen.

My bike is like a dog.

The best thing about these, vfr400's and other similar bikes is when you get a sequence of left-rights just perfect so you come out of the last one on the absolute ragged edge, powering through the last switch as hard as possible, and the bike gives you a little headshake just to let you know it's there and it's like an excited little pony tossing it's head. Just the best feeling, with very little risk of death!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
As Slavvy has found out the bottom ends on those 390s can only be rebuilt by purchasing new cases. Its a disposable engine.

R3/Ninja400, also seconding the SV.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

mulligan posted:

Also had a 2009 Honda VTR250 with an IXIL exhaust that I should have NEVER sold because it was so well put together and my friend enjoys it to this day laughing at me for selling it to him.

Honda US keeps giving us small bikes that are good but not exciting and the answer is and has been right there.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I’d love a smaller track only bike - wish someone would make an under 400cc inline 4 but seems like that is a thing of the past.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Voltage posted:

I’d love a smaller track only bike - wish someone would make an under 400cc inline 4 but seems like that is a thing of the past.

I’m assuming based on your MAGA piss shower avatar that you’re in the US, otherwise you could look at the ZX-25R.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Isn't that SEA only so far? It pretty much only exists because nations in that region tax the poo poo out of anything bigger but also don't have such strict emissions laws as the West; from what I've read, the ZX-25R isn't Euro-5 compliant.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
USA is cursed and never gets the fun bikes. Where is my 400cc i4? My 300cc i3? Our 250 vtwins? Supermotos?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

USA is cursed and never gets the fun bikes. Where is my 400cc i4? My 300cc i3? Our 250 vtwins? Supermotos?

You'll get ptwins and like it mister.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/en-us/models/supermoto/fs-450-2021.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
KTM yet again tugs my heartstrings/purse strings. That doesn't look street legal, though I love the whole 2t expansion chamber looking header. I thought it was actually a 2t at first. I'd rather have more Japanese sumos, and more general purpose sumos. Something like an EFI DR650/DR500, or like the yamaha XT660sm (that slavvy says is actually terrible).

Or a 300cc vtwin supermoto.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hoooooooo boy is that crankshaft shaved down to nothing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hoooooooo boy is that crankshaft shaved down to nothing.

What kind of service does it require after a hundred hours?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: nm

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Ha! Maybe I should just get another Ninja 300. I should never have sold mine.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

dema posted:

Love that this is practically my backyard.

Was dumb to sell that.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I was dumb to sell this

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is that the 250/400 vtwin we never got? If so, yes, you were dumb to sell it. We all have that bike, though. For me, it's my old WR250X. :sigh:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

mulligan posted:

I was dumb to sell this

Yeah, me too. I upgraded to a Street Triple R but I think I could definitely have held onto the Honda and gotten good at flogging it before upgrading, and I lack confidence as a result. Classic mistake. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Coydog posted:

Is that the 250/400 vtwin we never got? If so, yes, you were dumb to sell it. We all have that bike, though. For me, it's my old WR250X. :sigh:

Yeah, VTR250. The 400 was a different model and a 4 cylinder, the CB400.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah, VTR250. The 400 was a different model and a 4 cylinder, the CB400.

Which also owns and came in a V4 with VTEC version.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah, me too. I upgraded to a Street Triple R but I think I could definitely have held onto the Honda and gotten good at flogging it before upgrading, and I lack confidence as a result. Classic mistake. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yup, the current owner has a brand new GS but uses my ex VTR for short runs and he says still loves it 3 years later.

I sold it for the equivalent of US2,500 with less than 8,000 Kms.

Fun fact, the bike still has a sticker permit for the Japanese condo the first owner lived in (I Googled it) and it seems it's a very nice Tokio residential complex in Harajuku.

A man/woman of taste.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I shouldn't complain because we do have an American equivalent in the SV650: trellis frame, 90 degree vtwin, light, budget suspension....but it's not a cool little Honda.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

I've had this vtr250 for a few years now and it's been great!

I do feel bad about how much of its use is for commuting, sitting at almost 7000rpm for half an hour, twice a day erryday.
Currently working on getting my unrestricted class license and the vtr has been nice for getting comfortable with slow control and U-turns etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Which also owns and came in a V4 with VTEC version.

I wish! The cb400 got vtec, the only 400 bikes with the v4 were the vfr400's which got gear driven cams and a bunch of chassis bling but no vtec, that's only for the big viffers.

Gorson posted:

I shouldn't complain because we do have an American equivalent in the SV650: trellis frame, 90 degree vtwin, light, budget suspension....but it's not a cool little Honda.

The sv650 is to the vtr250 as the firestorm is to the sv aka hopelessly heavy and blunt. Ride one if you get a chance, they're amazing. Easily the best 4t 250 I'm aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

That VTR250 looks absolutely fantastic!
I'd love to test ride one.

Re: blunt SVs - the newest model is very flickable, my 20 year old one feels like it's lumbering along quite a bit.