Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Mycophobia has 4 foot long Perfectly straight hair and glasses, several wall scrolls, and plays arcade games 6 hours a day on stream, and if anyone try’s to one up him On 1990s video display knowledge I will call the police.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Mycophobia has 4 foot long Perfectly straight hair and glasses, several wall scrolls, and plays arcade games 6 hours a day on stream, and if anyone try’s to one up him On 1990s video display knowledge I will call the police.

Lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Wormskull posted:

lol

im not trying to be mr fuckin knowitall here but just wanted to point out that old games look besst on CRTs primarily for reasons other than the lovely signal transmission over RF/composite to consumer tvs, though devs did sometimes use that to their advantage like in sonic

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

:hai:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wormskull posted:

lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's also the thing where the pixels are slightly wider on a CRT(?) and the artists definitely designed around that. That's why old NES games look ever so slightly weird if you're playing them in emulator.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's less about CRTs specifically and more about the analog signals from an RF/composite connection that naturally create a softer image because the signals bleed into one another. The best example is the waterfalls in Sonic which look transparent over a crappy connection because the dithered pixels blur into one another

mycophobia posted:

the way a crt displays a 240p image and the way an RF or composite signal blends colors are different things.

a standard def crt displays a 480i image (i meaning interlaced, meaning only half of the scanlines are displaying anything any given cycle), so the way a 240p image is sent from an old console (roughly ps1/n64 back) is by splitting the image up onto every other scanline consistently, which along with the CRT's glow, creates a unique antialiasing effect that isn't replicated when blowing up the image onto a flat panel screen. Anyone making low res games back then relied on this effect being present, including arcade developers who were working with a crystal clear RGB signal straight to a high quality monitor (no noise or color blending).

there's a lot of great CRT filters for emulators out there now though that do split up the image properly and add a nice convincing glow effect, and as these effects get better and as display technology gets better and gets less laggy there'll be no reason to keep crts around

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Way It's Meant To Be Played

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

having a CRT is great although i guess it kind of sucks if youre american and you have to mess around with "component" (? i have never even seen these irl) cables instead of just using scart

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

lol

im not trying to be mr fuckin knowitall here but just wanted to point out that old games look besst on CRTs primarily for reasons other than the lovely signal transmission over RF/composite to consumer tvs, though devs did sometimes use that to their advantage like in sonic

It’s all good my man I appreciate the schooling.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

driving to some old lady's house to pick up a 1996 bang & olufsen unit and hauling it into your car by yourself, stopping on the way back to your car to catch your breath, hauling it out of the car again back home and up the stairs and hooking that sucker up

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A couple years ago I found a 32” Trinitron on Craigslist and when we went to pick it up the guy was only wearing a bathrobe. It was insanely heavy and when we got home we loaded it into the basement because it was too hard to get upstairs and my girlfriend was really pissed off. Then we had flooding in our basement and it got ruined anyway before I could even use it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A couple years ago I found a 32” Trinitron on Craigslist and when we went to pick it up the guy was only wearing a bathrobe. It was insanely heavy and when we got home we loaded it into the basement because it was too hard to get upstairs and my girlfriend was really pissed off. Then we had flooding in our basement and it got ruined anyway before I could even use it

my wife's too puny to lift a tv but i apologized to her anyway for lugging a three decades old tv into our bedroom

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Shibawanko posted:

my wife's too puny to lift a tv but i apologized to her anyway for lugging a three decades old tv into our bedroom

lol

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Noah's Ark but its all manner of ancient technology. The flood comes and the ark sinks immediately cuz it weighs like 600 tons.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I had a 32 inch trinitron a couple of apartments ago and when I moved I just left it there

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

she had to watch my checkered boxershorted rear end as i reached back to plug in the saturn

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

I had a 32 inch trinitron a couple of apartments ago and when I moved I just left it there

We moved a couple months ago and I just had junk guys take it away

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I still have a 34" Widescreen Sony Trinitron with HDMI inputs. It's like 400lbs and I'm not sure what I want to do with it when I move.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Modern displays have made us accustomed to much sharper and blocky pixel art than what developers back then intended, and if you play these classics on a CRT display you'll realize just how much artistry there was to this craft:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Modern displays have made us accustomed to much sharper and blocky pixel art than what developers back then intended, and if you play these classics on a CRT display you'll realize just how much artistry there was to this craft:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

lmfao

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
ill never give up my 27 inch trinitron. the perfect balance between screen size and % chance of death while moving

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ArfJason posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ArfJason posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ArfJason posted:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ArfJason posted:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive never once understood the love for crts, i always hated them as a kid. and i played a nes and my ps1 on them sometimes as a kid and I'd be hard pressed to tell you if it looked different than a LCD, except for obvious poo poo like cheap lcds having terrible colors usually

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

ArfJason posted:

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

ArfJason posted:

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post455235605

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mycophobia posted:

there's a lot of great CRT filters for emulators out there now though that do split up the image properly and add a nice convincing glow effect, and as these effects get better and as display technology gets better and gets less laggy there'll be no reason to keep crts around

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post455235605