Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

The only thing I have a collection of is 6 months of huel I saved up using my stimulus money. I have been thinking of buying a mosenberg 590m magazine fed pump action shot gun. Reason being, I've had a lot of random people just randomly try to climbing into the back my box truck only to realize I'm in it eating pizza or something.

I had one guy jump into the back while I was stopped at a stoplight. While I was driving down the road I started hearing noises in the back so I look out my side mirror and lock eyes with a guy hanging off the side illuminated in red from my taillights. He immediately jumped backwards off my truck while I was going 35mph down the road. Dude fell and rolled into the traffic behind me. I had mixed feelings over whether to stop or not, but I ultimately just drove on and left his condition a mystery as I had no idea if he was crazy and traffic behind me could have either mobbed me or It could have been an insurance scam.

Another homeless guy I somewhat knew at the pizza joint I frequented looked like he was casing me to rob me. So I grabbed my pizza, locked myself in the back, sat in my camping chair, and had my framing hammer at the ready. His girl friend ended up distracting him though so I dont know if he would have followed through with it. I dont stop to eat pizza there anymore.

Please OP, get a rear door for your box truck.

Also why don't you run the exhaust pipe through some underfloor heating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Rytheric posted:

Lol. This is actually the first place outside of discord and the workplace that I've mentioned it. One coworker almost wrecked the car in tears over me potentially inviting a lady to my watertower observatory and then telling her to go poo poo in the outhouse afterwards.

also hold the gently caress up you dont have a rear door? lmao that makes more sense

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

It's interesting to wonder which of the several fire considerations is the most likely to set the box truck ablaze first.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I Applaud your attempt to tiny house.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

Shine on you crazy loving diamond.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Rytheric posted:

This is where my space heater and outlets Penetrate through the wall. I will put a junction box there soon(tm). I would have preferred to have the junction box on the non-living side, however, the space heater came with such a short cord that it couldn't go through the wall. Guess I could have put the junction box in the wall, but I didn't want random wires coming though a hole in the wall. Looks tacky.

Since not burning down the box truck doesn't seem to be a big concern, is there a reason you didn't just get an extension cord to plug the space heater into?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

You know what, I've never heard of multiple causes of a vehicle fire, so as long as there's more than one hazard going at a time you should be fine

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Bi-la kaifa posted:

You know what, I've never heard of multiple causes of a vehicle fire, so as long as there's more than one hazard going at a time you should be fine

3 stooges syndrome but with ignition sources.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Rytheric posted:

I could have sworn i started with my reasoning somewhere. So here we go. The reasoning:

So for starters a long origins story...

:words:

Honestly, after this backstory, I think you're cool and I'm rooting for you.

Reiley posted:

Don't call this the Grover Truck, own your own creations.

I think he could combine "Ry" and "murder" to call it the Ryder Truck. Could even paint that in big red letters on the side.

Regarding the firepit: I'm not going to go on about safety or anything, but I think you should go with the wood stoves posted easier in the thread. Especially if you're going to try to bring dates back to your truck. I think the stoves could actually look nice and classy; one would look intentional, functional, and asthethetically pleasing. As opposed to a 55gal drum, which would not.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
This all feels very "classic SA" (in a good way) and I am absolutely sincerely rooting for you, this rules

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MY LOVE FOR YOU IS BURNING TRUCK
RYTHERIC
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKING gently caress
RYTHERIC

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Rytheric posted:

small town theater actor

Please share stories from your time as a small town theater actor. Thanks in advance.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

"i dont want kitchen and bathroom because they are unnatural, but I want to hoard everything on my 2x2 meters space at the back of my truck including setting it on fire and putting a power generator here (which I wont do because power generators are loud, better use my trucks V8 that's substantially quieter), also I want to shoot people with a shotgun because I dont want to use doors and lock on my house"

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Asleep Style posted:

Since not burning down the box truck doesn't seem to be a big concern, is there a reason you didn't just get an extension cord to plug the space heater into?

I essentially made one to go through the wall. But a standard extension cable setup wouldn't work because that's a 12v space heater that only has alligator battery connector clips. I have to redo it when I do my fuse block anyway.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Spookydonut posted:

Please OP, get a rear door for your box truck.

Also why don't you run the exhaust pipe through some underfloor heating.

I believe I answered something similar to this before. So my box truck breaks down reliably. When it breaks down I know where it has broken and can easily fix it ive managed to create fail points that are meant to fail before catastrophic damage occurs elsewhere these points are easily accessible and easily repaired. I am worried that if I adjust any part of the exhaust or intake that that would shift the dynamic. I may make changes once I rebuild the engine, but an exhaust heated floor would only work for a few hours after running the vehicle. So I dont know how useful that would be.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 3, 2021

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

are people still allowed to be delightfully strange and kindhearted?
:kimchi:

This is all incredible in a rad way. Goonspeed, OP

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Rytheric posted:

ive managed to create fail points that are meant to fail before catastrophic damage occurs elsewhere

:stare:

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

just put some extra pipe there for love of god, you will sniff exhaust fumes very time the drat engine is on when you are stationary, you already made this truck into a driving fire hazard but you refuse to just add 1.5 meters of pipe

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Make it a telescopic pipe, that would be cool

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
What's the weather like? Can you have plants or a garden outside of the the bamboo forest?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

I believe I answered something similar to this before. So my box truck breaks down reliably. When it breaks down I know where it has broken and can easily fix it ive managed to create fail points that are meant to fail before catastrophic damage occurs elsewhere these points are easily accessible and easily repaired. I am worried that if I adjust any part of the exhaust or intake that that would shift the dynamic. I may make changes once I rebuild the engine, but an exhaust heated floor would only work for a few hours after running the vehicle. So I dont know how useful that would be.

I think people are confused because that's not even close to how engines work.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Suspsiciously well fertilized bamboo lmfao

Sam I Am
Aug 6, 2004

You're a lucky, lucky boy 'cause you know why? You get to drink from, the fire hose!

Elviscat posted:

I think people are confused because that's not even close to how houses murder hallways fire laws electricity engines work.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
gently caress the naysayers, sincerely saying go for it. This world is already weird as gently caress and getting weirder by the minute so I say roll with it and live your dream.

Just be careful with ventilation / fire prevention so you can continue to be around to keep posting.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Midjack posted:

MY LOVE FOR YOU IS BURNING TRUCK
RYTHERIC
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKING gently caress
RYTHERIC

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Elviscat posted:

In the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson:

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

RustyKnight posted:

just put some extra pipe there for love of god, you will sniff exhaust fumes very time the drat engine is on when you are stationary, you already made this truck into a driving fire hazard but you refuse to just add 1.5 meters of pipe

Make them bosozoku pipes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

*runs into thread, huffing and puffing*

Did anyone say "Grover rover" yet?!??!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just LOL at all the concern trolling in this thread. Let Ry live his dream!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

vulturesrow posted:

Let Ry live his dream!

For the brief amount of time between when the CO poisoning sets in and when brain death occurs.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

*runs into thread, huffing and puffing*

Did anyone say "Grover rover" yet?!??!

Same but Schrödinger's box truck

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Golden Shower Water Tower

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

RandomPauI posted:

Golden Shower Water Tower

Box-truck Power Fiery Bower

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Just LOL at all the concern trolling in this thread. Let Ry live his dream!

Look at it this way - if he dies, we don't get any more pictures.

I need more pictures.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Everything about this thread tracks perfectly with everything I know about contractors and people who work in construction, particularly in rural areas. The old schoolhouse paid my grandfather to haul off their woodshed once they got a real heating system, and he proceeded to put it up on cinder blocks and live in it on and off for the next fifty years. He also had an outhouse, and I think legally his Troll Shack may actually have been considered a hunting camp. In the 90s he put in RV hookups for water and power and got a camper with a bathroom in it, so he could piss outside and drive the camper to the local campground intermittently to empty it out. This was only when he couldn't find a girlfriend he could scam into letting him live with her.

I don't remember the logic behind all these decisions--I think they involved permits and taxation and what qualifies as a permanent structure. But he could provably build a real and functional house, and was paid very well to do so, so I have to imagine something about the paperwork involved in building a house leads a certain type of person to spend a lot of time fantasizing about bizarre, elaborate workarounds.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Interior fire pit suffocater
I drive a box truck people immolater

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
OP have you given any thought to what the paint job of the GroverTruk is going to be once it's finished? I think flames on the side are obligatory

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

OP have you given any thought to what the paint job of the GroverTruk is going to be once it's finished? I think flames on the side are obligatory

By my understanding Ry's goal is to have the flames on the inside.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

:five:

make sure to surround your shower with river rocks

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Ry you should get multiple trailers for the truk with different functions (eg a totally soundproofed generator trailer, a mobile hydroponics garden, animal stable) thus forming the Ryder Road Truk-train.

At night you could park it in a defensive circle like old West wagons around the timber shitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Code Jockey posted:

Interior fire pit suffocater
I drive a box truck people immolater