Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The game starts by telling you not to bring ketchup, rubber ducks, and #2 pencils into a shape-shifting building. It means business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

Yeah, FFXIV Ivalice is a totally separate thing that just happens to look a whole lot like the Ivalice of FFXII/FFT and shares a whole lot of names but it's a separate universe and so the actual details are different. Sort of a common thing with FFXIV, like how FFXIV also has a Doma but it's unrelated to the FFVI one.

Final Fantasy did bioshock infinite before bioshock infinite and without its head up its rear end

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gonna install Control Ultimate Edition, hope it carries over my save file from the base game so i can play the DLC, it's been a while since I've played a "non-anime" game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't, but I'd be OK with replaying that whole campaign once I get a PS5 since there's no good way to do it other than starting over anyway

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GDI

I am never playing a game until its Ultimate Edition comes out

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Like Sonic even made a worse kart racer to give Mario a chance and it still blew them out of the water

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mQN0jSML5E

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Grapplejack posted:

Mario kart is bad. It sucks and I'm ashamed at the people wanting one after CTR and Sonic blew it away

All three can be good OP, even if none of them reach the peaks that Diddy Kong Racing set

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MK8 is easily the best kart racer of all time imho

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I love MK8. It may be the second most played game on my Switch behind Animal Crossing

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I love MK8. It may be the second most played game on my Switch behind Animal Crossing

You should try playing literally any other kart racer, because they're all better than Mario kart

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So I am very bad at Spelunky 2 lol

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Grapplejack posted:

You should try playing literally any other kart racer, because they're all better than Mario kart

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

All three can be good OP, even if none of them reach the peaks that Diddy Kong Racing set

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Relax Or DIE posted:

*slams a dossier on the table, inside is a photo labeled 'SONIC & ALL STARS RACING TRANSFORMED'*

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Blizzard peaked with Rock n Roll Racing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
*rocks out to a .midi of Highway Star*

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I am very bad at Spelunky 2 lol

:same:

Tbh I bounced off it hard whereas I adored the first game. dont know if patches made it less bullshit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

If you think Control takes itself very seriously then there might be a tone disconnect here.

Huh? The only parts of the game I liked were it's semi-grounded take on various supernatural conspiracies and stuff. Granted, I don't think they take storytelling itself very seriously, since they saw fit to mash some lovely loving shooting gallery game right into the middle of their X-Files Adventure game. I never got very far because of the irritating and unavoidable combat segments, but what do you mean? Does it start getting all silly and whackadoo later?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Maaaaan the amount of time I poured into the Micro Machines games and Rock & Roll Racing as a kid.

Have there been any modern indie recreations of those isometric-style racers? There's gotta be enough nostalgia out there for someone to have made something surely.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Khanstant posted:

Huh? The only parts of the game I liked were it's semi-grounded take on various supernatural conspiracies and stuff. Granted, I don't think they take storytelling itself very seriously, since they saw fit to mash some lovely loving shooting gallery game right into the middle of their X-Files Adventure game. I never got very far because of the irritating and unavoidable combat segments, but what do you mean? Does it start getting all silly and whackadoo later?

Beyond all the stuff that's just plain silly, Control has a consistent dry humor streak that is played 100% straight by the characters. Like you don't find menacing shots of a 1970s slide projector to be darkly funny?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Please take these live-action puppet shows and musical numbers seriously.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's an object of power

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not sure it's possible to embrace the wild absurdity of SCP and also be a tightly designed shooty game unfortunately and Control seemed to fall short on both axes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Maaaaan the amount of time I poured into the Micro Machines games and Rock & Roll Racing as a kid.

Have there been any modern indie recreations of those isometric-style racers? There's gotta be enough nostalgia out there for someone to have made something surely.

there was mashed on the ps2/xbox lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

and yet you havent mentioned the best kart racer of all, blur. how peculiar

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I always thought, shouldn’t it be called Mario Go-kart?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mario Go to the polls Kart

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mode 7 posted:

Micro Machines 2 on the SNES is an absolute goddam classic

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RIP to Rollcage and Extreme G-3 Racing

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Super Off Road in the arcade was best because you used a giant steering wheel to control a tiny little car.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not sure it's possible to embrace the wild absurdity of SCP and also be a tightly designed shooty game unfortunately and Control seemed to fall short on both axes

Its the only game where i ever read every document but the gameplay mostly wasnt that great imo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

Micro Machines 2 on the SNES is an absolute goddam classic

The MD version had extra controller ports built into the cartridge for 4 player!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think it's possible to actually make an SCP game that really captures the whole SCP thing. I'm aware of the games that are out there but ultimately so much of what SCP has become is just bigger, more abstract, and weirder than I think you could really slap game mechanics on in any larger-scale sense. You could probably make a game about a specific SCP or a few of them, perhaps, but any that go beyond "horror monster described in a really clinical way" are going to be really hard to adapt to any other medium.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Is not finding joy in throwing fork lifts at enemies some kind of genetic thing like the whole cilantro deal?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Theres too much combat that changes it up too slowly

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Fitting that just as Battleborn reaches its expiry date, Randy sells Gearbox.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think my favorite thing about Control lore is that it's actually canon that the Oldest House will magically clean up and repair anything that gets trashed by a big fight while no one is looking

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

letting you do wacky things is by itself good combat and thats why just cause combat is better than doom

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm playing Control since it's free on PS+ and I'm trying to figure out why people liked this so much

turns out gamers just wanted to stop every five minutes and clear up their inventory