Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Elephant Ambush posted:

- What does increasing difficulty actually mean in terms of game mechanics? More reps per exercise? Less damage per hit?

Just these two, I think. The total damage from the attack stays the same, though, so in practice everything is the same except you’re doing more reps for each exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Increasing difficulty will increase reps but the total damage will be the same regardless of the difficulty.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It should also increase the expected time needed to complete stages.
Spitballing here: Might also affect the density of objects you need to destroy for certain stages and their scores. The Mountain Climber introduction needing far fewer points.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Elephant Ambush posted:

- During the combat music, what the gently caress is the vocalist saying? It sounds like "Ab Shock Incel" but as funny as that is I know it's not right.

I couldn't stop thinking about it since I read this post so I did what you didn't and googled it.

According to this thread,

quote:

What they're saying in all the battle song are abbreviated names of muscles:

Ab, Trap, Del, Sur.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thank you all for the answers!

I shoveled a fuckton of snow today so I skipped Ring Fit but it's definitely happening tomorrow. I really like this game and it's really motivating me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do I have to farm early stages for bananas or will the store eventually sell those sesame smoothies?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have never farmed for ingredients, I have bought smoothies and ingredients from the store on occasion though

Edit: According to the wiki the store will eventually sell all the ingredients for White Sesame Smoothies eventually yes

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am noticing some exercises are capped a bit below max level or require several levels to raise. I was worried level 30 would be too much so soon. Better to work on endurance than upping reps.
I have the recipe for blueberry pop and still no apple juice. I can probably crush apples into a pulp with my thighs at this point.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1Sflmz3tb1EqdjL3bGvilU-yMCOdQ8t7YbdoIOR_f2uM/htmlview

Is apple juice on there somewhere? :iiam:

Edit: Apple Smoothie was in World 5, Apple cider vinegar is in world 8

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 31, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I have never been more excited to earn the right to do a different kind of squat. This game is perfect for motivating my video game poisoned rear end to exercise.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

I have never been more excited to earn the right to do a different kind of squat. This game is perfect for motivating my video game poisoned rear end to exercise.

Later worlds will make you regret this statement. Just remember: it's ALWAYS leg day.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Novasol posted:

Later worlds will make you regret this statement. Just remember: it's ALWAYS leg day.

And every day is even more leg day when you are fat, so any day I actually do squats as attacks is like... super leg day.
Can barely walk down the loving stairs some times.

EDIT:
Speaking of super leg day:
https://twitter.com/splenktrenmnt/status/1356645491568594944

organburner fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 2, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I tried something different today and grinded on a stage with bananas, the one with the thief birds, since bananas only exist in one world. It had a bit of everything in it to make it a great workout for burning over 400 calories a session and trying out the harder exercises on the two easy encounters (Use your old equipment and weakest skills for maximum reps). You can also farm phosphophyllite for upgrades or money. It's always leg day.

Envgard
Jan 22, 2015
Didn't realize there was a thread for this game until today but just wanted to share my experience using it. Long effort post ahead. I wanted it back when it first came out but couldn't get it at the time and finally bought it just after Christmas last year.The reason I bought it was not really for myself though.

I am a PE teacher at a K-2 school who is not allowed to use the gym, is not allowed to take classes outside, and has to go to 28 different homerooms some once a week and some twice a week for a total of 47 PE classes a week for classroom PE. I ran out of stuff do months ago that involved our normal lessons and was not able to use equipment for the longest time. I switched to lots of YouTube exercise games and just dances before finally unscrewing the dust cover on every teachers projector to plug my switch into them. I started doing real just dance and had the idea of this game. Over Christmas break I realized I could cut up a bunch of pool noodles to have the kids use now that we can use equipment though it has to be sanitized before another class can use it.

So now I have 5 bags of 20 pool noodles that each get wiped down once a day. Most of the kids love the game especially when I do it along with them. I play the game roughly 15 to 20 minutes a class 4 to 5 classes a day. We started on world 1 back in the beginning of January and just hit world 19 yesterday. I just progress a little bit more with each class and skip minigames when I can to make it more fun. Most classes get to play the game once a week and sometimes I turn on the assist modes which a lifesaver as much as I sweat. And if a class is not into it or not behaving I sprint through the level with them making them all match my speed which gets them into it.

My best moments are when we beat a boss and the kids just lose it, some of the bosses have taken almost an entire PE before, and when every kid squats down at the end of the level and yells victory while holding a pool noodle over their head.

Also it sucks doing all of this in a mask. That's my story thanks for reading.

Tldr: PE teacher uses ring fit for PE classes. Kids have fun.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That’s amazing. Really loving cool. You’re like a super hero to those kids. I bet they love that. I would have loved that as a kid lol

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

World five boss - recommended, leg skills so imma equip squats and newly acquired wide squats
World five boss road - FULL OF SQUATS

anyway i am ded how are you guys

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Artelier posted:

World five boss - recommended, leg skills so imma equip squats and newly acquired wide squats
World five boss road - FULL OF SQUATS

anyway i am ded how are you guys

Leg day. Leg day never changes.

Since I saw further up that people were advocating using weaker attacks for fewer reps, there is an option you can enable that forces you to complete all your reps if an enemy dies mid-attack. Turn that on immediately, then enjoy the massive amount of squats you will now be doing every fight.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I will probably never get the titles for the healing skills because I never bother using them

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can not bother using Ab Guard or wear starter gear. Enemies take out 2-3 hearts per hit near your level.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I should probably make a custom playlist with the healing exercises because I never do them either, you can use a smoothie without giving the enemy an extra turn

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Something I only just maybe realized.
Squats are way easier for me on a hard surface than on the thick exercise mat I use.

This requires further investigation.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

I will probably never get the titles for the healing skills because I never bother using them

I use the healing moves if I’m heating up too much and want a breather but don’t wanna actually sit down. It’s pretty difficult to actually die so there’s little incentive to avoid it for that reason, and the stretch can feel good.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Envgard posted:

Didn't realize there was a thread for this game until today but just wanted to share my experience using it. Long effort post ahead. I wanted it back when it first came out but couldn't get it at the time and finally bought it just after Christmas last year.The reason I bought it was not really for myself though.

I am a PE teacher at a K-2 school who is not allowed to use the gym, is not allowed to take classes outside, and has to go to 28 different homerooms some once a week and some twice a week for a total of 47 PE classes a week for classroom PE. I ran out of stuff do months ago that involved our normal lessons and was not able to use equipment for the longest time. I switched to lots of YouTube exercise games and just dances before finally unscrewing the dust cover on every teachers projector to plug my switch into them. I started doing real just dance and had the idea of this game. Over Christmas break I realized I could cut up a bunch of pool noodles to have the kids use now that we can use equipment though it has to be sanitized before another class can use it.

So now I have 5 bags of 20 pool noodles that each get wiped down once a day. Most of the kids love the game especially when I do it along with them. I play the game roughly 15 to 20 minutes a class 4 to 5 classes a day. We started on world 1 back in the beginning of January and just hit world 19 yesterday. I just progress a little bit more with each class and skip minigames when I can to make it more fun. Most classes get to play the game once a week and sometimes I turn on the assist modes which a lifesaver as much as I sweat. And if a class is not into it or not behaving I sprint through the level with them making them all match my speed which gets them into it.

My best moments are when we beat a boss and the kids just lose it, some of the bosses have taken almost an entire PE before, and when every kid squats down at the end of the level and yells victory while holding a pool noodle over their head.

Also it sucks doing all of this in a mask. That's my story thanks for reading.

Tldr: PE teacher uses ring fit for PE classes. Kids have fun.

This is seriously amazing and the mental image of all those kids yelling VICTORY is so great.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I should probably make a custom playlist with the healing exercises because I never do them either, you can use a smoothie without giving the enemy an extra turn

My thought on this is that I am playing this game to exercise, so using smoothies to heal when I can use an exercise for it instead is cheating myself.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I literally did this and it is very good as a warm up before starting adventure.

I also have a custom set that intersperses it with other exercises and a jogging course and it’s a decent workout on its own. I will post a screenshot later.

I think there is a title for doing 1000 reps of each exercise which would be pretty much impossible without custom mode.

Edit: there’s also Overhead Side Bends and Open & Close Leg Raises which are only in custom mode unless I’m missing something?? Weird.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 3, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Novasol posted:

My thought on this is that I am playing this game to exercise, so using smoothies to heal when I can use an exercise for it instead is cheating myself.

Same. I only use smoothies for attack boosts.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Novasol posted:

I wish to make a correction regarding my earlier post on the terror group "wide squat"...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Multitask mode gave me a ton of stuff. I won't be ignoring that mode anymore. That is way too much.
Decided to do that drat robot game and got a perfect. Things are looking up.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 3, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Today was the first day I was forced to sprint to chase down a runaway treasure chest AND also do squats and other things in the same course. RIP me. I am dead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can shoot the chest to stop it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can shoot the chest to stop it.

Thanks for the tip but I almost didn't want to know that because today's workout was great even though I am now dead because of it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Always be blowing or sucking. Work those arms during leg day.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Scalding Coffee posted:

Always be blowing or sucking. Work those arms during leg day.

I'm only in world 8 but my only complaint about this game so far is that there aren't that many good upper body exercises. Front Press was great and fun but now that I'm in harder worlds it does no damage.

Do you ever unlock anything other than arm twists and shoulder twists and stuff? I'm a tall guy and I need to work on my upper body strength.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can’t build your upper body much without weights tbh but I always found tricep kickbacks to make me pretty sore. It’s more about toning your arms/shoulders.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I think mountain climbers and planks will help with upper body strength.

I am mildly surprised there's not a push-up move though, but I think you can't make it track properly with just the leg strap tracking. Also if you collapse from exhaustion, rip joy-con? Like maybe it could work if you placed the ring-con on your back for some extra tracking but I'm not sure what they can track, seems to mostly be angles. I don't think you would be changing the angle of the leg ring con enough during pushups.

Another idea could be, for push ups, have you squeeze the ring-con between your chest and the floor when you're down and release it when you're up... That should work ok? You just can't rise up enough to release the ring-con completely though, so that might be another issue...

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can’t build your upper body much without weights tbh but I always found tricep kickbacks to make me pretty sore. It’s more about toning your arms/shoulders.

Triceps kickbacks are the only close to decent arm exercise imo but yeah upper body work is pretty much outside the scope of the game. Pull-ups, push-ups, dips and inverted rows are basically all you need for a full upper body workout (throw in some pike pushups or handstand push-ups for shoulders but if you can do those you probably do not need ideas). You can buy some dip bars and a pull-up bar for a door frame for probably under $50 or a power tower for like $150. Or just go to a playground.

You’ll need to add weight to them eventually with a vest or belt but it’s still cheaper and takes up less room than a bench & weights.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Luckily I'm fat enough that I can barely do a few pushups so that's good enough for me 8-)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I took a break for about a week; real life got in the way and the covid vaccine had me feeling under the weather. Good lord, I just got to the first world with the squat train. It's the closest I've come to quitting in the middle of a level. Feels like the squat exercises are a waste if there's gonna be so much squatting to traverse the world.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I haven’t used regular Squats as an attack since like halfway through my first playthrough since they’re so common in levels. I still do wide squats sometimes because they’re a strong attack but I prefer mountain climbers to overhead squats for my 5-target blue attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wide squats are for days when i particularly hate myself. normal squats, fine, but my lower body can't do that :gonk:

(e) fan pose, too, for all that ever actually comes up. If my legs are out that wide, holding them so my feet point straight up is really painful, let alone the actual stretch :(