Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I honestly don't know what could be edited or added to fix Birds of Prey. Sure I'd love to have seen more Huntress or Canary, but maybe not in a movie where Harley is narrating everyone's every move.

Ewan Mcgregor was completely great in that though. Whatever other failures there were I loved that weird take on Black Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I thought it was one of Ewan Mcgregor's worst, and he's normally really reliable. Black Canary and Huntress are two characters I quite like, and Jurnee Smollett and Mary Elizabeth Winstead were great picks, but they felt really shoved in there, like the film forgot about them, so there's more time for not very funny 'wacky' Harley antics.

The biggest mistake Deadpool 2 made was cutting down Morena Baccarin's screentime. In the first film, she has some of the best lines and great chemistry with Ryan Reynolds, so they gave her...less to do? It left the film lacking an emotional core, which is really important to good Deadpool writing. That and having TJ Miller, just when his scandals were starting to become public left a really sour taste with how much more he was in the second film. Zazie Beetz stole the show, and that cameo was comedic gold, but it felt less heartfelt than the first, and too reliant on franchise jokes.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 3, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe commercial filmmaking should be less commercial and more filmmaking

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh are we doing Mystery Men now?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh are we doing Mystery Men now?

I always found it ironic, that despite being released with that film, and having the cast, in character, in the music video, All Star is cemented as "the Shrek song" in pop culture.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I always found it ironic, that despite being released with that film, and having the cast, in character, in the music video, All Star is cemented as "the Shrek song" in pop culture.
It was also in ensemble hit "Rat Race" that featured a Smash Mouth concert

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Zazie Beets being so wonderful in Deadpool 2 is a big part of why I want Deadpool 3 if I am honest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
BoPs biggest problem iirc was that they inexplicably don't actually all meet each other until like the last 20 minutes of the movie

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

site posted:

BoPs biggest problem iirc was that they inexplicably don't actually all meet each other until like the last 20 minutes of the movie

Yeah, and then they're all together for like, 5 minutes, before Harley splits off again?

The problems with Birds of Prey -- and I genuinely liked it and thought it was fine -- don't feel like studio meddling problems, they feel like under-baked script problems. It's like they were going for this movie about all these different, interconnected threads all slowly coalescing together, but then the way they come together is literally just kind of all showing up in the same place right before a fight breaks out, and then it's done. There's a real lack of connective tissue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

It's very clear that Robbie is intended as the star and the rest are supporting players, which gives the movie a weird identity crisis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it should have just upfront been a Harley Quinn movie that introduces the Birds of Prey, possibly for their own spin-off down the line. Just a simple title flip.

Probably would have done better at the box office that way too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

Maybe its time to go back to standalone films, but with little easter eggs?

I think that would be good, but then you don't get that Avengers money, which is what the studio wants

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it should have just upfront been a Harley Quinn movie that introduces the Birds of Prey, possibly for their own spin-off down the line. Just a simple title flip.

Definitely this.

I really liked the movie, the only part that seemed weird in a last minute script alteration type way was the scene where her apartment exploded. It seemed like a rushed reshoot to tie up loose ends or replace an existing scene but for the life of me I don't know what it could have been.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I thought Birds of Prey was just a really fun movie and basically it's my favourite of the current crop of DC movies. There's maybe small niggling things but I enjoyed it on its own merits.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

I honestly don't know what could be edited or added to fix Birds of Prey.

Dubbing any time they say the name 'Cassandra Cain' with 'Stephanie Brown' would be nice.

I would dig some more Ramona Flowers Huntress. That's God's truth.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They did actually do this, but it was a couple of days into its run when they got scared about its performance.

Might just have been a UK thing

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainApathyUK posted:

They did actually do this, but it was a couple of days into its run when they got scared about its performance.

Might just have been a UK thing

Nah the home release got it's name changed too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it’s kind of a problem when you effectively remake a director’s movie like this, because then the other directors are like ‘why not me?’

It’s not a problem.

The problem is the studios hiring a director and not giving them final cut.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not a problem.

The problem is the studios hiring a director and not giving them final cut.

"We need this run time for this many showings"

"Marketing says adding more scenes of this will tap into that key demo"

"This song is popular use it"

Makes for bad movies turns out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah maybe I'm wrong, but the impression I get is that marvel/feige micromanages all the mcu stuff pretty hard too, but in pre production so that most of their issues are banged out beforehand

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

site posted:

Yeah maybe I'm wrong, but the impression I get is that marvel/feige micromanages all the mcu stuff pretty hard too, but in pre production so that most of their issues are banged out beforehand

They're definitely better at it on the front end but they do still butt heads with their filmmakers and push out talent as a result. I also think their action scenes suffer mightily from seemingly having little directorial input.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the difference is that Feige acts more like a showrunner with directos more like TV episode directors.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MacheteZombie posted:

I also think their action scenes suffer mightily from seemingly having little directorial input.

Might be a function of the MCU just having more movies to smooth out the average but the only two dc action sequences that are even worth mentioning are the final sequence of BoP and the faora fight in MoS. The rest is pretty bad and/or bland af

^^^ that's probably fair

site fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 3, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, that's a sensible approach, the MCU has often been compared to a TV series in that way.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Birds of Prey was great and had me grinning like a loon both time I saw it in the theater. Ended up being the second-to-last movie I saw in theaters before the lockdown happened, so that was a pretty good note to end on. I really hope we get a third Harley movie at some point. Gotham City Sirens when?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Am I the only Goon that prefers Deadpool 2 over Deadpool?

Deadpool was a lot tighter and probably a better movie overall, but I think Deadpool 2 has better high points.

Still need to see Once Upon a Deadpool.

site posted:

Might be a function of the MCU just having more movies to smooth out the average but the only two dc action sequences that I thought haven't sucked were the final sequence of BoP and the Faora fight in MoS. The rest is pretty bad and/or bland af

The Italy battle in Aquaman is top fuckin' tier stuff. There's the No Man's Land scene in Wonder Woman, too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A lot of the MCU action scenes, particularly climaxes, feel like they just redo the same large army fight over and over again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, I still think the battle on Titan is the best superhero fight ever put to screen. Lots of great use of different abilities and set pieces in that one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vandar posted:

The Italy battle in Aquaman is top fuckin' tier stuff. There's the No Man's Land scene in Wonder Woman, too.

I already saw the italy sequence in f&f5 and no man's land was so overhyped by the time I saw it i literally had to look up on the internet to see if I just watched the same thing people had been gushing about, it was just a nothing scene to me. I just sat there waiting for the cool part that never came

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Any fight involving Captain America gets my vote. They managed to really sell him being incredibly strong and punting guys through the air, making it seem effortless while at the same time giving everything really nice weight and momentum. Nothing feels floaty or on wires.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barrel of Monkeys from Iron Man 3 is incredible, I also really love a lot of the fun stuff Doctor Strange does with its action.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the sequence with Batman in the warehouse in BvS is really good.

Even when I didn't like the theatrical version I thought it was great.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
deadpool one is a better put together film overall, but deadpool two had the juggernaut and they gave him his own song

it's a tough call

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vandar posted:

Still need to see Once Upon a Deadpool.
Isn’t that just the PG-13 cut of Deadpool 2 with a couple of added scenes?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Pictures of Sean Gunn and Kieran Gillian are floating around.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn’t that just the PG-13 cut of Deadpool 2 with a couple of added scenes?

They used a bunch of alternate takes and added an entire subplot with Fred Savage. It's the same movie but it's worth watching because a lot of jokes are different.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The jokes in Deadpool 2 landed a lot better for me than Deadpool 1, and I enjoyed the supporting cast in Pool 2 as well, so for me Deadpool 2 was a lot more fun than 1.
As for Birds of Prey it felt like a really uneven movie. I basically liked everything that Harley Quinn wasn't in. Huntress was great, I enjoyed McGregor's over the top ham acting and the action sequences were top notch. Story wise though it was all really really really weak. The "Cassandra Cain" storyline was uninteresting and the "wackiness" of Harley just felt like it was trying too hard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In Deadpool 1 you really feel the smaller budget compared to 2

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Snyder is a music video director. He can do slick action scenes.

He shouldn't do anything else.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Vandar posted:

Birds of Prey was great and had me grinning like a loon both time I saw it in the theater. Ended up being the second-to-last movie I saw in theaters before the lockdown happened, so that was a pretty good note to end on. I really hope we get a third Harley movie at some point. Gotham City Sirens when?

Gunn's Suicide Squad this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Roth posted:

That felt way too video game-y to me. Nothing about it felt real.