Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just listened to The Cereal Man and Two Indigenous Actors episodes. Gareth's reactions to who they were about were the best. What other episodes have him finally connect the dots at some point?
Like, it took him so long finally figure out who the Kellogg was in the Cereal episode and it was :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

Just listened to The Cereal Man and Two Indigenous Actors episodes. Gareth's reactions to who they were about were the best. What other episodes have him finally connect the dots at some point?
Like, it took him so long finally figure out who the Kellogg was in the Cereal episode and it was :discourse:

Gareth takes an embarrassingly long time to realize who Harland Sanders was.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Digital Jedi posted:

Harriet Tubman has a late realization in it. But I was also surprised by it, so I can't really blame Gareth.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

john pemberton’s drug tonics

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

Gareth takes an embarrassingly long time to realize who Harland Sanders was.

I wish the title of that episode didn't outright name the topic because I likely would have come to the realization at the same time as Gareth and it would've been hilarious :mad:

Kreg
Sep 2, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

The Donner Party episode is pretty great for this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Latest West Wing thing starts with some pretty epic rants by Josh and Dave.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The HBO doc about The Dale is now live

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Completely forgot the way the Bernhard Goetz episode takes a turn in the last 15 minutes. Squirrels!

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Edit: Nm, not relevant

A MINIATURE LLAMA fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 6, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The HBO doc about The Dale is now live

The story is really interesting but I hate the style of the doc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

The story is really interesting but I hate the style of the doc.
It’s a little strange

I’m also getting this weird vibe from the doc like they are treating her as a trans trailblazer when she was a con artist?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got sad when the latest episode mentionned the Expos.

:smith:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Yeah, it also does what every modern documentary does and uses lots of animation to liven up old photos/boring information, etc.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Every baseball story is either about setting the land speed record for hedonism or it's Rube Waddell.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Truck nuts

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Every baseball story is either about setting the land speed record for hedonism or it's Rube Waddell.
He did love those firetrucks. And killing birds with rocks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

He did love those firetrucks. And killing birds with rocks.

Now hit 'em with the puppy

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Live Dollop loving owns so far.

EDIT:

OMG this is incredible. This is the best one they've done

EDIT:

I'm dying right now.

EDIT:

If you have ever been interested in watching a live show I HIGHLY recommend this one. It's about the Erie Canal Soda Pop Festival. It's an attempt at Woodstock in 1972 that turns into the Gathering of the Juggalos. It's hilarious.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 19, 2021

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Live Dollop loving owns so far.

EDIT:

OMG this is incredible. This is the best one they've done

EDIT:

I'm dying right now.

EDIT:

If you have ever been interested in watching a live show I HIGHLY recommend this one. It's about the Erie Canal Soda Pop Festival. It's an attempt at Woodstock in 1972 that turns into the Gathering of the Juggalos. It's hilarious.

Is that one of the ones they don't save? If so, that's disappointing because it sounds really funny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Is that one of the ones they don't save? If so, that's disappointing because it sounds really funny.
Yes the live ones are not saved, which I find a little strange since pre-COVID they would post all of their live episodes

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes the live ones are not saved, which I find a little strange since pre-COVID they would post all of their live episodes

I can't imagine that saying "Hey don't sweat it, just wait a few months and you can hear it for free" would have a positive impact on their ticket sales for the online live shows, so maybe not that strange

like, at least at the live show you're going as much for the experience as anything else, so you won't feel like you wasted your money if they post it later

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Fair enough but it gets on my nerves.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Does the dollop not have a pirate feed? Most of the other lefty podcasts intentionally look the other way on them but I guess Dave might be the outlier because he's Dave

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have them all saved but I don't know if it's kosher to share publicly. I feel like if I'm going to pay for them recording then for my own enjoyment isn't an issue

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Digital Jedi posted:

Breaking Glenn Burke has a surprise for everyone, as does Boston Corbett which is an overall great episode with Patton Oswalt.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

swickles posted:

Breaking Glenn Burke

That is like one of the hardest episodes I've had to listen to.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

That is like one of the hardest episodes I've had to listen to.

It actually made me glad that Lasorda died

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Episode 17 of the law podcast ALAB is about the plot to kidnap the Governor of Michigan, and it is a Dollop style comedy of errors plot, highly recommend

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
passing over the Marion Zioncheck ep previously was a huge mistake

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he invented a new cocktail!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Revins posted:

passing over the Marion Zioncheck ep previously was a huge mistake

If it's got Wil Anderson as a guest, it's probably going to be a pretty good episode, even if the story itself isn't amazing. However, Marion Zioncheck is amazing.

-

I'm going through the back catalog (again), and I forgot about the celebrity cameos in the Kidnapping of Brooke Hart.

"Brooke wasn't on the ship. Do you know who was on the ship? Babe Ruth!" "What? Why?" "I don't know, he was just there."

"Naturally, [the pillowcase floating in the bay] brings us to child actor Jackie Coogan." "Okay, buddy, I'm gonna take off. I'll see you later" (I love that joke every time it happens; when Dave says something that's just too much for Gareth so he's 'done'). Dave then diverts the story to talk about Jackie Coogan and how, for some reason, people thought his pillowcase was in the bay and therefore he had something to do with the kidnapping.

Also, the bit where the kidnappers want a radio installed in the Studebaker reminded me of a bit from another episode but I can't remember the episode: "You're gonna take a nice trip on the train and get off at murdah" in stereotypical "Noo Yawk" accents, and I think they keep adding more elaborate stops and instructions ending in "get off at murder." Anyone else know what I'm talking about from that brief terrible description?

Edit: What is everyone's favorite Reverse Dollop (or Pollod, as nobody but Gareth calls them)? I like Nim the Chimp, Domino's Pizza, and The Story of Atari. Atari has the smallest amount of sad/bad stuff, so I guess if I had to pick one as an absolute favorite, it'd be that one.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 2, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

beats for junkies posted:

If it's got Wil Anderson as a guest, it's probably going to be a pretty good episode, even if the story itself isn't amazing. However, Marion Zioncheck is amazing.

-

I'm going through the back catalog (again), and I forgot about the celebrity cameos in the Kidnapping of Brooke Hart.

"Brooke wasn't on the ship. Do you know who was on the ship? Babe Ruth!" "What? Why?" "I don't know, he was just there."

"Naturally, [the pillowcase floating in the bay] brings us to child actor Jackie Coogan." "Okay, buddy, I'm gonna take off. I'll see you later" (I love that joke every time it happens; when Dave says something that's just too much for Gareth so he's 'done'). Dave then diverts the story to talk about Jackie Coogan and how, for some reason, people thought his pillowcase was in the bay and therefore he had something to do with the kidnapping.

Also, the bit where the kidnappers want a radio installed in the Studebaker reminded me of a bit from another episode but I can't remember the episode: "You're gonna take a nice trip on the train and get off at murdah" in stereotypical "Noo Yawk" accents, and I think they keep adding more elaborate stops and instructions ending in "get off at murder." Anyone else know what I'm talking about from that brief terrible description?

Edit: What is everyone's favorite Reverse Dollop (or Pollod, as nobody but Gareth calls them)? I like Nim the Chimp, Domino's Pizza, and The Story of Atari. Atari has the smallest amount of sad/bad stuff, so I guess if I had to pick one as an absolute favorite, it'd be that one.

The Scott Walker one is a doozy

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You talkin’ about ol’ ham sandwich?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

-

I completely forgot thaty episode, time to re-listen.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

-

phantom of the open is the best reverse dollop imo

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

scary ghost dog posted:

phantom of the open is the best reverse dollop imo

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that one somehow. That's definitely up there, for sure.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that one somehow. That's definitely up there, for sure.

Agreed it pulls you in hard.

I kept thinking "This is the tourney where he does well, but then it turns out he filled out the paperwork wrong", or something.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
All the reverse ones are really good and they should do more of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's funny, today I was just thinking "I want to listen to the Dollop about that crazy Representative that side donuts on the white house front lawn and created his own drink". I couldn't remember the name and I was coming to this thread to ask, and lo and behold others had the same idea.