Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

exquisite tea posted:

It's all a bit manipulative how much the game wants you to to be loving Liara through all 3 Mass Effects. I still did it but that doesn't mean I can't complain!!

She’s in the second game for about 20 minutes (before the DLC) and still has the best and most detailed character model in the whole game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

She’s in the second game for about 20 minutes (before the DLC) and still has the best and most detailed character model in the whole game...

and they upgrade the model for the DLC!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Two upgrades, in fact. :eyepop:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Only Asari with eyebrows and its very distracting. I actually like her ME1 look better, not big on dark lipstick.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I just want confirmation that they’ll fix Conrad’s event flags.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

TheCenturion posted:

I just want confirmation that they won’t fix Conrad’s event flags.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are they keeping in the Khaleed Al-Jahni punches?

Punching a reporter especially a female one is like pure crystallized gamergate/alt-right poo poo nowadays.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe she shouldnt be a jerk to space jesus on the spectre floor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if they'll put in Saren's pre-huskin' model or not

Also tbh I kind of don't want them to fix ME1's character creator because my first run through I made some sort of ghostly pale mutant who squinted everywhere and any time the character was actually supposed to narrow his eyes they spasmed out instead lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 3, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pentyne posted:

Are they keeping in the Khaleed Al-Jahni punches?

Punching a reporter especially a female one is like pure crystallized gamergate/alt-right poo poo nowadays.

My guess is there will be next to zero content changes, just refinement. So we can punch her as much as we please!

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if they'll put in Saren's pre-huskin' model or not

Also tbh I kind of don't want them to fix ME1's character creator because my first run through I made some sort of ghostly pale mutant who squinted everywhere and any time the character was actually supposed to narrow his eyes they spasmed out instead lmao

Presumably Saren started the indoctrination process before the events of ME1, and after the book Revelation. I think there's a good few years inbetween the book and first game where Saren has been riding shotgun in his reaper-boat getting slowly indoctrinated. So, from that point of view, his looks make a kind of sense.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Sombrerotron posted:

That being said:
What I do care about is the Mako's controls, though. Whoever said that it's better than the Nomad doesn't have any idea what they're talking about. It's easy enough to give the Nomad a few upgrades that make it very speedy and it always sticks to the ground; the Mako is always slow and it'll bounce all over the place if you don't very carefully nurse it uphill - or even across/around small bumps in the terrain. Comparisons aside, the Mako's handling (or lack thereof) was a major complaint for many people back in the day, so if the LE improves on that I'm all for it.

People say the Mako controls better than the Nomad because the main mission Mako sections are generally better designed than Andromeda worlds, as long as you don't hit anything.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Make it so she throws an undodgeable punch if you try to hit her for all 3 games and then take 2 weeks off after it's released.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Neither the Mako or Nomad were ever hard to control and I’ve never understood that complaint. Unless the Mako was poo poo on the Xbox? I only played on PC and it was fine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The mako is a little wonky but its the awful map design for mako levels that kills it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

A huge part of it was the awful empty planet with procedural generated hills and a car that can’t climb a five percent incline

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You're wrong, those hills were handcrafted to be that bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

exquisite tea posted:

You're wrong, those hills were handcrafted to be that bad.

Well someone did have to roll their presumably broken hands across a keyboard to come up with landscape geography that esoteric.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You're thinking of the Nomad that can't climb a five percent incline.

The Mako will climb anything short of a sheer vertical cliff, and even then I'm pretty sure you could get the engine to do it if you goosed it just the right way.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Makowns

Nomad sucks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moola posted:

Makowns

Nomad sucks

It is known

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cythereal posted:

You're thinking of the Nomad that can't climb a five percent incline.

The Mako will climb anything short of a sheer vertical cliff, and even then I'm pretty sure you could get the engine to do it if you goosed it just the right way.

Yea, this. The Mako would scale almost vertical cliffs a good distance if it had a bit of a head start. I also loved the uncharted worlds sky boxes because, unlike Andromeda, it really felt like no one else had stepped foot on these planets. There was one that was a super dark brownish color and the nearby planet was so huge in the sky it seemed like you could almost touch it. I loved that aspect of ME1.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Mako was actually cool as gently caress, bombing over huge mountains nearly effortlessly was fun. The Nomad was a pale imitation and why the gently caress doesn't the Nomad have guns?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

we are space explorers!

Who carry guns except on our apc

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it makes sense, because you would definitely need a gun on your vehicle when exploring a mostly already explored galaxy; but in a brand new galaxy where you have no idea what each system might contain you would want zero guns....

wait...

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The Mako was cool and good and imagining your squaddies belted in, hanging on and praying to whatever gods they believe in while Shep cackles manically bouncing around like a ping pong ball still brings a smile to my face.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why would we want to America up our new galaxy by bringing guns

We travelled millions of light years to get away from America

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

chaosapiant posted:

Neither the Mako or Nomad were ever hard to control and I’ve never understood that complaint. Unless the Mako was poo poo on the Xbox? I only played on PC and it was fine.
The Mako's fine - though slow, compared to the Nomad - when you're rolling over flat terrain, but there's a lot of steep hills/mountains between you and some question mark on the map that require a good deal of patience to climb without accidentally being thrown off. Even on the PC it's less than ideal.

chaosapiant posted:

I also loved the uncharted worlds sky boxes because, unlike Andromeda, it really felt like no one else had stepped foot on these planets. There was one that was a super dark brownish color and the nearby planet was so huge in the sky it seemed like you could almost touch it. I loved that aspect of ME1.
This is true, as featureless as those heightmap planets themselves might've been, they more often than not had fantastic skyboxes. There's a few where you look up and there's just this gigantic sun filling your view, which is great. And then there's Klendagon (which maybe you were talking about), with its gigantic scar.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what if the Nomad was lovely because it was a cheaper alternative to the Mako?

Like the team actually asked for Makos, but the Illusive Man was like "...those things ain't cheap! Give them the lovely jeeps that cant go up hills, I have a 25% off coupon for an order of 100 or more"

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Moola posted:

it makes sense, because you would definitely need a gun on your vehicle when exploring a mostly already explored galaxy; but in a brand new galaxy where you have no idea what each system might contain you would want zero guns....

wait...

And it's not like in the Milky Way a single exploratory ship ran into some crazy insects that reverse engineered their FLT and unleashed 3 centuries of galactic warfare.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Ray posted:

the most hilarious part of that is that Ashley was right. without Space Jesus everything would have been hosed because every species was like "lol, gently caress u, glad u got attacked first so we can 'defend' ourselves."

Cythereal posted:

She's not even racist, she's just cynical about politics.

She's not a space racist.

chaosapiant posted:

It was fine. You could get it to do some funky things, but it was actually fine.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I hated the Tempest. I hated that it was just a smaller Normandy, and it's emblematic of a design philosophy that sacrificed anything new or different for entirely recognizable retreads with diminishing returns.

Mass Effect should be a big enough universe that you can change the shape of the hero ship, for god's sake.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I hope Jennifer Hale, Seth Greene, and Martin Sheen are getting paid twice for this

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Mako had some odd physics, it behaved like a rubber ball if you hit any protrusion on the ground, which was inevitable in a lot of places (and certainly when going down a mountain :v:). But the main problem was the map design because the Mako maps usually had gentle enough slopes leading to points of interest that were easy to drive, except they were often hidden on the opposite side of the mountain you wanted to climb when you came from any other PoI or the map's starting location. Or the intended paths simply didn't stand out enough, because while the skyboxes were great, the ground textures were usually bland and featureless. On the story maps you got easy to follow roads or marked paths so that was much better.

And on consoles the Mako controlled like the Warthog in Halo, ie. vehicle movement was relative to where your camera and turret were pointing, so that could be annoying to some people (eg. if the Mako got turned around 180° while going down a mountain, so would the camera and now you were trying to go uphill again until you turned the camera around). On PC, moving the vehicle and the camera/turret are independent, I don't even know if you can set up the console controls.

The XP penalty on Mako kills was dumb. It's easy enough to edit out on PC (I fear the remaster will lose most of the customizability ME1 and even 2 had from using Unreal INIs - even ME3 could be altered that way, but more things were locked down or simply cut like the holstering animations, because of console memory limitations) - but this shouldn't have been a problem in the first place and hopping out to deliver killing blows every few meters on some maps was annoying. I wonder if they're fixing that.

But in general, OG Mako good!

E: They better not get rid of upgradevehicle 6 vehthrusterforcebooster :colbert:

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 4, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sombrerotron posted:

This is true, as featureless as those heightmap planets themselves might've been, they more often than not had fantastic skyboxes. There's a few where you look up and there's just this gigantic sun filling your view, which is great. And then there's Klendagon (which maybe you were talking about), with its gigantic scar.

Do you think they will fix Mass Effect 2's galaxy map so Klendagon has its giant scar again?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do you think they will fix Mass Effect 2's galaxy map so Klendagon has its giant scar again?

Maybe they’ll fix Earth in ME1 so it’s the right way around.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Don't know about any of that, but I will be upset if they do fix Garrus' textures bug in the PC version of ME1. That just wouldn't be right.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sombrerotron posted:

Don't know about any of that, but I will be upset if they do fix Garrus' textures bug in the PC version of ME1. That just wouldn't be right.

Garrus' Unreal Texture Pop-in is as much a fundamental part of his character as calibration is.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Maybe the new version wont kinkshame you for trying to scan Uranus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Its almost as much a part of ME1 Garrus as how you can repeatedly tell him to gently caress off and then praise him after you finish his quest because the dialogue triggers were busted and kept recycling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

OgNar posted:

Maybe the new version wont kinkshame you for trying to scan Uranus.
I don't think EDI berates you for the scan, just for probing it.