Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Beyond all the stuff that's just plain silly, Control has a consistent dry humor streak that is played 100% straight by the characters. Like you don't find menacing shots of a 1970s slide projector to be darkly funny?

I find them darkly funny and menacing, I love a good menace in a mundane object. I ain't get very far and it's the only game of theirs I've ever played so I don't actually have much perspective on it's overall tone past the first couple hours I played, which I think at the intended pacing of someone who knew this was a shooting game when they bought it, would take maybe 20 minutes.

I'm gonna save trying to play it again for when I get new computer, some eye candy will help the shooting medicine with godmode on go down. I will say, I think I had more fun playing with just clutter physics than in any other game I remember. I was convinced there was a secret to be found in the lobby area, like something was obviously fishy with the portraits. I didn't know there was a gun yet, but I did figure out how to clip my character into one of the little serving carts, which made it become this kind of super-powered physics object attached to my character. You could knock paintings and stuff off walls with it, if you swung the glitchy cart the right way. Alas, there are no secret treasures behind the suspicious portraits.

The "walking on a table and send everything flying" is just exquisite. You thought it was fun to jump on the table in Skyrim? Well, hope on any desk or cabinet shelves in this game, especially if you glitch a cart onto you, and BAM, everything's shooting off to the moon with your every step, they have great graphics for random papers and debris puffing out of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

I don't think it's possible to actually make an SCP game that really captures the whole SCP thing. I'm aware of the games that are out there but ultimately so much of what SCP has become is just bigger, more abstract, and weirder than I think you could really slap game mechanics on in any larger-scale sense. You could probably make a game about a specific SCP or a few of them, perhaps, but any that go beyond "horror monster described in a really clinical way" are going to be really hard to adapt to any other medium.

A lot of SCP is kind of tryhardy to be honest. Like they get 90% of the way through describing a creepy unsettling situation and can't help themselves from adding some dumb "...and they were never seen again" rejoinder.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
throwing things was cool but I felt like any bite or edge the artifacts might have had was sort of lost when they all turned into "if you touch it you get an air dash" or a double jump or some other extremely video-gamey effect

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
on the other hand, knowing you get an air dash and double jump make me more interested. Does this turn into like Banja Kazooie or something later? Banjo Kazooie House of Leaves would be my poo poo

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Probably should've made the guns a little cooler too. Like, the service weapon is a super neat concept but it just turns into pistol, shotgun, sniper, machine gun, rocket launcher

I found the gunplay to be pretty decent at least. Pistol, shotgun, and sniper were all satisfying to use.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

on the other hand, knowing you get an air dash and double jump make me more interested. Does this turn into like Banja Kazooie or something later? Banjo Kazooie House of Leaves would be my poo poo

Yeah I think the game could have just been a pretty solid 3rd person shooter with cool movement if they had put the focus exclusively on that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of SCP is kind of tryhardy to be honest. Like they get 90% of the way through describing a creepy unsettling situation and can't help themselves from adding some dumb "...and they were never seen again" rejoinder.

I think the site's at a point where a lot of its users agree with you and sorta recoil against that sort of stuff, thankfully. At this point it's pretty common to see articles being critiqued pretty heavily for relying too hard on "the thing that kills you!!!" or "it's a spooky thing that makes you go crazy!!!" or just using a ton of redactions to no real effect.

These days I don't really like to revisit the old series 1 SCPs (which are most of the ones that people who don't visit the site often are aware of) because they're basically just clinically-written creepypasta, and sometimes not even that.

I mean 90% of the site is still kinda :shrug: but there's some real good poo poo there, too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thinking about putting barbacoa on pizza

Also need to remind myself that I have jalapenos I can use

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Agreed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thinking about putting barbacoa on pizza

Also need to remind myself that I have jalapenos I can use

stuff barbacoa inside the jalapenos with cream cheese

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Huh apparently some people call sidequests “subquests”

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

the old monster hunter games had sub/bonus objectives called Subquests, and you could complete that and end the mission with just the subquest reward if you were farming something in particular.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
What about Substories?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

What about Substories?
Those aren't work safe and shouldn't be discussed here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Yes they're the ones you get from Bowsette

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

I think most 90s RPGs did, maybe ps1 RPGs. I don't recall the word sidequest being so ubiquitous until like the mid 00s

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Subquest implies the existence of Domquests.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Healbot posted:

My novel is rich in domtext

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Healbot posted:

Switch quests?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the jump from Sly Cooper 1 to Sly Cooper 2 is maybe the single biggest quality leap between two video games in the same series

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hey everyone and Happy Wednesday.

I want to get a Mega Man for my 3DS and I'm torn between one of the originals or Mighty Gunvolt Burst. Any suggestions?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the jump from Sly Cooper 1 to Sly Cooper 2 is maybe the single biggest quality leap between two video games in the same series

Witcher 1 to 2 is up there

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its actually street fighter 1 to 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux was fight

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s definitely Mario bros 1 to Mario bros 2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ratchet and Clank is similar. 1 and 2 on the surface aren't that different, but 2 plays just so much better, and refines and expands all the gameplay systems.

I almost want to say that the changes between 1 and 2 are more impactful than all the changes since (one year of development versus thirteen).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The turnaround on PS2 era games was amazing. I gotta imagine the crunch was hellish.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo Control is good :stare:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

The turnaround on PS2 era games was amazing. I gotta imagine the crunch was hellish.

I think i remember someone saying bad crunch being a news story really started around the hd era when studios ballooned to hundreds of disposable people
Crunch still existed earlier but teams were smaller and full of more koolaid drinkers that werent calling for better working conditions
I forget where i heard this take and dont know if its true

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I think i remember someone saying bad crunch being a news story really started around the hd era when studios ballooned to hundreds of disposable people
Crunch still existed earlier but teams were smaller and full of more koolaid drinkers that werent calling for better working conditions
I forget where i heard this take and dont know if its true

There's footage on PlayStation Magazine discs (the ones with the demos) of SCEJ devs with sleeping bags under their desks while working on Gran Turismo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I decided to try Siralim 3 based on the DQM comparisons and its pretty neat, but I've completely divested myself from trying to do any kind of strategizing based on what the enemy team is doing or has built around because I cannot be examining the enemies full inventory every single battle, especially because the times when a fight comes down to the enemy team's items and spells owning me it usually manifests itself as my whole team dying before I even get a turn despite me one-rounding the exact same group of monsters in the previous fight. Instead I'm just kind of doing my own build and if I lose I lose.

It'd be very very cool if I didn't have to manually level a new monster up from level 1 every time I summon a new one, and also I think a few of my magic-based monsters are somewhat kneecapped by my access to spells. Otherwise I'm on floor like 30 and I might try beating it but I'll check out what the postgame is like to see how committed I'll get

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Jay Rust posted:

It’s definitely Mario bros 1 to Mario bros 2

Mario Bros 2 (Japan version) to Mario Bros 3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The inspiration for this came from making a barbacoa-parmesan sandwich yesterday and then this morning realized I had mozzarella on hand that had fallen behind some other items in the fridge.

Same-day dough (75% hydration bread flour), red sauce spiked with salsa verde, mozzarella, parmesan, barbacoa, diced jalapeno, cilantro (sorry to the genetically divergent), and basil and red pepper

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

goddam it i have to scroll past your perfect pizza posts charlie cause i'm reminded of what a slob i am with food atm

(please don't stop posting them on my behalf)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Can't wait until I can taste food again. Tried to eat a pizza a few hours ago and it was like chewing on cardboard.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I hope you all get to eat good pizza soon!

(I appreciated that there was a call-out/shout-out to this in that big political cartoon lol)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I started played SaGa Scarlet Graces and while it's pretty fun so far and I can see how the stripped down nature of it (towns are just menus, dungeons are just a series of fights) kind of streamlines the experience, I feel like the simple PS Vita stylings leave a bit to be desired. It makes me hungry for another "real" SaGa game, which I guess I'll get with Frontier later this year.

One thing I'll say for Scarlet Graces is that the combat is engaging without being overly complex. Your team of five shares a resource that they draw from to perform attacks or cast spells. Different formations have different min-max levels for that resources as well as different methods to earn more. Each turn is represented by a row of initiatives that can be manipulated with different actions, and killing an enemy that's between two party members triggers a powerful unite attack. It's pretty interesting which is good because it's easily 80 percent of the game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

i'm playing banjo kazooie for the first time (yes, on my brand new 3080, this was definitely not a waste of money) and it's fine. Hasn't aged super well but you can forgive it because of the era. The music is genuinely still impressive though, it's very cool seeing this n64 game have a dynamic soundtrack with stuff coming in and out depending on where you are and what's near you.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

i'm playing banjo kazooie for the first time (yes, on my brand new 3080, this was definitely not a waste of money) and it's fine. Hasn't aged super well but you can forgive it because of the era. The music is genuinely still impressive though, it's very cool seeing this n64 game have a dynamic soundtrack with stuff coming in and out depending on where you are and what's near you.

BK1 is alright, BK2 is the real good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

does the audio compression bother you?