Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Hadlock posted:

I have the DS418 which predates the M.2 ssd/nvme cache slot

Don't use a write cache. Just google and you'll find horror stories from the community where the most common response to "hey, i had mirrored SSD cache drives, one died and now my volume is corrupt?" is "yep, you're the latest one to get bitten, don't do that." Happened to me, it didn't just tank the stuff I stored on the volume that happened to be cached but also the system files. I started seeing weird behavior, submitted a ticket to support and they said "oh yeah, logs show that your system volume is turbo hosed." Wiped everything, did a bare metal reinstall of the base OS, restored backup and learned my lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a TS140 and want to upgrade the i3 to a Xeon. It takes the E3-1200 V3 models but I was hoping on some advice for a specific one to get. I assume I should at the very least narrow down to the 8 thread models? It looks like Plex on Unraid should be able to use Quicksync so narrow it even further which leaves me at the E3-1245. Lenovo says it is compatible. Anything else I should be considering?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I feel like I super screwed something up and I'm not sure where to start. I took apart my TrueNAS box to install some new fans, and when I booted it back up, it wasn't finding my pools. It says pool status as offline, but I can't quite see how to... uh, turn it back on? I tried a few things in zpool, but nothign seemed like it was working.

Any suggestions?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel like I super screwed something up and I'm not sure where to start. I took apart my TrueNAS box to install some new fans, and when I booted it back up, it wasn't finding my pools. It says pool status as offline, but I can't quite see how to... uh, turn it back on? I tried a few things in zpool, but nothign seemed like it was working.

Any suggestions?

What does zpool list show you? If the pool shows offline, did you try zpool online?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Are all the disks showing up? May have a bad cable connection or something, especially if you were moving components around.

What's the output of zpool status -x

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

Are all the disks showing up? May have a bad cable connection or something, especially if you were moving components around.

What's the output of zpool status -x

Yeah it is strange, none of my disks are actually showing up. I'll check the cables. I don't think I swapped anything by accident.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah it is strange, none of my disks are actually showing up. I'll check the cables. I don't think I swapped anything by accident.

If you're using an HBA check to make sure it's seated properly. I've had this situation a few times where I've moved stuff in a case and rear end of the HBA ends up popping up out of a 16x slot. Power down the computer and give the card a firm push into the socket and reboot. That usually takes care of things. Again this assumes you are using an HBA.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have a TS140 and want to upgrade the i3 to a Xeon. It takes the E3-1200 V3 models but I was hoping on some advice for a specific one to get. I assume I should at the very least narrow down to the 8 thread models? It looks like Plex on Unraid should be able to use Quicksync so narrow it even further which leaves me at the E3-1245. Lenovo says it is compatible. Anything else I should be considering?
Make sure you check whether there's firmware update to let you run a Xeon v4 - some manufacturers supplied these, so that users could upgrade from Haswell to Broadwell without switching motherboard.
It gets you QuickSync support for 10-bit h265 and vp8, two BSD rings to allow encoding and decoding at the same time, adds SMAP, and OpenCL 2.0 - all while using much less power.
Shouldn't cost you any more than a v3 CPU either.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Any suggestions?
Does CAM see the disks? Check with camcontrol devlist.
If not and you think your HBA is wrong, check /var/run/dmesg.boot for mpsN, mfiN, mptN, or mprN devices and use mpsutil, mfiutil, mptutil, or mprutil to find out if the HBA sees the disks.
If you've got an old output of dmesg lying around, you can also check that for those devices to see if it's disappeared.

Nulldevice posted:

If you're using an HBA check to make sure it's seated properly. I've had this situation a few times where I've moved stuff in a case and rear end of the HBA ends up popping up out of a 16x slot. Power down the computer and give the card a firm push into the socket and reboot. That usually takes care of things. Again this assumes you are using an HBA.
Ah yes, the tech-evangalist version of laying on hands.
Reseating the device completely is usually not a bad idea in these situations.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 2, 2021

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Do you actually need to upgrade? An i3 4130 can handle transcoding at least 2 1080p streams in realtime generally. It is more powerful than what many modern NAS come with, has quicksync, supports all the same cpu instructions as the e3, v3 xeon, has similar single core performance. It would have no problem streaming any 4k files without transcoding either, it is pretty easy to find clients with x265 and newer codec support these days.

It doesn't do vt-d, that allows you to pass through some hardware directly to a guest vm. Practically this means running unraid bare metal. And a 4 core or thread cpu would be faster

The xeons ending in 0 dont have integrated video. The models ending in L are lower performance/power and not worth it if you want an upgrade.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Make sure you check whether there's firmware update to let you run a Xeon v4 - some manufacturers supplied these, so that users could upgrade from Haswell to Broadwell without switching motherboard.
It gets you QuickSync support for 10-bit h265 and vp8, two BSD rings to allow encoding and decoding at the same time, adds SMAP, and OpenCL 2.0 - all while using much less power.
Shouldn't cost you any more than a v3 CPU either.
The board unfortunately doesn’t support it. Some older versions apparently don’t support the updated Haswells at all.

lampey posted:

Do you actually need to upgrade? An i3 4130 can handle transcoding at least 2 1080p streams in realtime generally. It is more powerful than what many modern NAS come with, has quicksync, supports all the same cpu instructions as the e3, v3 xeon, has similar single core performance. It would have no problem streaming any 4k files without transcoding either, it is pretty easy to find clients with x265 and newer codec support these days.

It doesn't do vt-d, that allows you to pass through some hardware directly to a guest vm. Practically this means running unraid bare metal. And a 4 core or thread cpu would be faster

The xeons ending in 0 dont have integrated video. The models ending in L are lower performance/power and not worth it if you want an upgrade.

No particular reason outside of just wanting to tinker. You make some good points.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 2, 2021

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Buy a 5775c lol

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Didn't realize TrueNAS SCALE existed until today and now I'm rethinking my life choices as I start eyeing external drives to copy my data over and do a clean install...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Didn't realize TrueNAS SCALE existed until today and now I'm rethinking my life choices as I start eyeing external drives to copy my data over and do a clean install...

It's not really ready for a real deployment yet. I'd wait another few months until its feature complete unless you're putting it on a "loving around on" box. Regular TrueNas core and TrueNas scale will both use the same file system so you can literally just overwrite the BSD based OS of TrueNAS core with Scale when it's ready, remount your zRaid arrays and be back up and running unless you're also running a bunch of jails or whatever which won't work in Scale I'd imagine.

What would people recommend for a silent NAS build for a TrueNAS setup? An Atom based system? It would be doing Plex serving, and possibly some transcoding of 4k, as well as some light server work with stuff like Sonarr and Nextcloud.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's not really ready for a real deployment yet. I'd wait another few months until its feature complete unless you're putting it on a "loving around on" box. Regular TrueNas core and TrueNas scale will both use the same file system so you can literally just overwrite the BSD based OS of TrueNAS core with Scale when it's ready, remount your zRaid arrays and be back up and running unless you're also running a bunch of jails or whatever which won't work in Scale I'd imagine.

What would people recommend for a silent NAS build for a TrueNAS setup? An Atom based system? It would be doing Plex serving, and possibly some transcoding of 4k, as well as some light server work with stuff like Sonarr and Nextcloud.

Keep in mind if you’re gonna transcode 4K AND it’s x265, you’re gonna want a video card. Unless it’s a higher end CPU, I’ve not seen great transcode performance of x265 from CPUs.

If you’re doing x264, then ignore that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't think you're going to get passive cooled ("silent") plus those things. At least not in a single box. At least not for a reasonable amount of money and space. You would be better off picking up several devices, one of which is something that can just natively play your 4k content.

If you're willing to go "very quiet" then suddenly the world opens up. Are you going to be using ssd's? If not the whine of the hard drives is going to be louder than a well cooled (massive low speed fans, giant heat sink on the cpu/gpu) computer capable of those tasks.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

rufius posted:

Keep in mind if you’re gonna transcode 4K AND it’s x265, you’re gonna want a video card. Unless it’s a higher end CPU, I’ve not seen great transcode performance of x265 from CPUs.

If you’re doing x264, then ignore that.

Adding to this, what would be a decent lower-cost card to do transcoding or encoding to x265? I've been upgrading a lot of stuff to 4k x265, but a few clients choke on it. Plus I'd like to add OTA capture, and encode those captures down as small as possible. Currently my NAS is a desktop running Ubuntu LTS and a ZFS pool.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's just too bad they picked Linux, because otherwise it would've been an excellent use of ggated/ggatec to export zvols via GEOM over the network.
Since they use Linux, you instead have to use ctld to export a zvol via iSCSI.

In related news, I'll be participating in a zoom call today, which will involve a way to build FreeBSD in such a way that it contains a minimal kernel and just enough userland utilities to work with bhyve and Xen hypervisors.
Effectively gives you a type-1 hypervisor based on FreeBSD.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

PitViper posted:

Adding to this, what would be a decent lower-cost card to do transcoding or encoding to x265? I've been upgrading a lot of stuff to 4k x265, but a few clients choke on it. Plus I'd like to add OTA capture, and encode those captures down as small as possible. Currently my NAS is a desktop running Ubuntu LTS and a ZFS pool.

I’ll second this, I’m starting to play with unRaid on a Thinkserver TS-140 and would want x265 ability.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lower cost video cards no longer exist for the time being, check back in six months maybe?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

It's just too bad they picked Linux, because otherwise it would've been an excellent use of ggated/ggatec to export zvols via GEOM over the network.

In related news, I'll be participating in a zoom call today, which will involve a way to build FreeBSD in such a way that it contains a minimal kernel and just enough userland utilities to work with bhyve and Xen hypervisors.

You seem like you are pretty high up in your industry.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

PitViper posted:

In the past I’ve seen the Nvidia 1030 come up. It comes in a low profile format.

Other ideas I’ve seen thrown around is running Plex on an odroid or RPi-esque thing.

I’ve never done the odroid thing so no real experience.

In my case, for a short while I ran Plex on my workstation box which has a 1080Ti in it. That worked well enough but I’ve since forced all of my family onto Apple TV 4k’s and they all have gigabit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So nothing I am looking at has fixed my offline pool issue. I might get some new SATA cables, but I think I'd need new hardware or something because my case has a hotswap backplane in it and maybe that's what went bad. Kinda wish I had something stupid simple like a Synology setup but I don't have the cash to move over and at this point I can't get to my data to move over to a new platform anyway. I can hear the drives spinning up, so I know they get power, and they are new drives (like 4 months old) so I don't think it is a premature failure of all 3 drives. Kinda at a loss.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

savesthedayrocks posted:

I’ll second this, I’m starting to play with unRaid on a Thinkserver TS-140 and would want x265 ability.

Thirding this in the hope it could somehow be worked out for the TS430

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Smashing Link posted:

You seem like you are pretty high up in your industry.
What industry? It's just a NYCBUG thing - the only reason I brought it up is because I was able to attend is as my sleep schedule is foobar.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

unfffff trip report please.

For those looking for a good card to transcode with money to burn and one that you can actually find available these days, Quadro P2000 is what I run. Expensive, but no external power, single slot and it works.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wouldn't something like this work fine for the GPU for the transcoding?

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-PCI-E2-0-Graphics-ZT-71302-20L/dp/B01AZ7W88O/?tag=akshatblog198-20

Does TrueNAS support GPU passthrough for Plex to actually use it?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

What industry? It's just a NYCBUG thing - the only reason I brought it up is because I was able to attend is as my sleep schedule is foobar.

I assumed you were a high level systems administrator at a large company from your knowledge base.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

According to this chart https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding that 710 doesn't support H.265. Looks like you'd want at least a 1030

I also run a QuadroP2000 and it JustWorks

e: just checked amazon/ebay and you can pick up a p2000 for less than I paid a few years ago for one, which you can't really say for any other GPUs right about now

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 4, 2021

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I recently discovered that my 8 port raid card in my NAS appears to have died. It was a card using the LSI SAS 2008 chipset (an IBM M1015, the one that everybody was using 7 years ago when I first got it).

Spending a few minutes searching, it looks like there's a lot of inexpensive 8 port cards like this where it's got 6 ports driven by a Marvell 88SE9215 and the other 2 ports driven by JMB5xx. I'm driving a zfs pool on Ubuntu, so I'd need something that will work in Ubuntu and will just present the bare drives to the OS (don't need to boot from any of them).

Are those types of cards the new hotness for us grognards still running our own purpose built NAS, or are there better options right now?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-PCI-E2-0-Graphics-ZT-71302-20L/dp/B01AZ7W88O/?tag=akshatblog198-20

Not if you want to do HEVC/x265. That codec is most commonly used these days for UHD/4K content.

Enos Cabell posted:

According to this chart https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding that 710 doesn't support H.265. Looks like you'd want at least a 1030

e: just checked amazon/ebay and you can pick up a p2000 for less than I paid a few years ago for one, which you can't really say for any other GPUs right about now

Correct. The 1030 is usually the cheapest for a low profile design. I don’t know much about the p2000 but what Enos said.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

I recently discovered that my 8 port raid card in my NAS appears to have died. It was a card using the LSI SAS 2008 chipset (an IBM M1015, the one that everybody was using 7 years ago when I first got it).

Spending a few minutes searching, it looks like there's a lot of inexpensive 8 port cards like this where it's got 6 ports driven by a Marvell 88SE9215 and the other 2 ports driven by JMB5xx. I'm driving a zfs pool on Ubuntu, so I'd need something that will work in Ubuntu and will just present the bare drives to the OS (don't need to boot from any of them).

Are those types of cards the new hotness for us grognards still running our own purpose built NAS, or are there better options right now?

Maybe this happened: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/82469-fake-lsi-hba-cards-on-ebay/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well I bought it in May of 2013 and it's been humming along until the last few months, so either way I'm satisfied with the purchase I made at the time and I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

unfffff trip report please.

For those looking for a good card to transcode with money to burn and one that you can actually find available these days, Quadro P2000 is what I run. Expensive, but no external power, single slot and it works.
It turns out, it's even more simple than I thought it was.
It's just a shell script which excludes basically every single build option possible, so that only bhyve, xen, and possibly xen-tools and nmdm(4) later on, are included.
It takes up around 15MB RAM, 50MB diskspace.
Oh, and it boots in 2 seconds.

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's this handy little matrix for looking up GPUs based on their generation, which gives you a hint about what's supported (though, with Kepler cards you may run into issues with the newest nvidia drivers no longer supporting things, so you might need to use legacy drivers. FreeBSD provides them, I don't know about Linux.

TrueNAS core is based on FreeBSD which uses bhyve, and Base Address Register support (as well as 64bit BAR support, which is needed for mapping over (2^32)-1 bytes of VRAM) isn't yet in bhyve yet, and it's currently waiting for something else to land.

Smashing Link posted:

I assumed you were a high level systems administrator at a large company from your knowledge base.
I used to be a network and systems administrator, and have run FreeBSD since the year 2000 - but no, nowadays, I'm just a FreeBSD documentation person, because of health issues that've prevented me from working even a single hour per week, and which probably means I'll have to get an early retirement.

Enos Cabell posted:

Heh, that table really is wonderful :allears:

P2000 series GPUs are incredibly expensive in Denmark, it's just hilarious.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 4, 2021

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Awesome! If we want to see that can we just email that rsvp email listed and get in? Or is it too late for that.

edit: yes it's too late because I didn't see this was yesterday. LOL.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

I snagged an LSI 9207-8i (2308 chipset) back in 10/20 for $67 shipped off ebay, even came with 2x SATA breakout cables.

Using it passed through to a FreeNAS VM (ESXi host) without issues.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hed posted:

Awesome! If we want to see that can we just email that rsvp email listed and get in? Or is it too late for that.

edit: yes it's too late because I didn't see this was yesterday. LOL.
I got the impression that it got recorded and will be on youtube like all other NYCBUG stuff, although you might have to suffer through looking at me for a bit?

If you wanna catch another go at the presentation, head over to the Portland Linux/Unix Group, as Michael will be presenting there at 7PM, Pacific.

EDIT: Here's some build numbers from a HP DL380p with 2x Xeon E5-2667v2 at 3.3GHz and 1066MHz RAM, building on tmpfs(4):
pre:
--------------------------------------------------------------
>>> World build completed on Thu Feb  4 23:14:52 CET 2021
>>> World built in 96 seconds, ncpu: 32, make -j32
        1m36.23s real           22m56.23s user          2m17.13s sys
>>> Kernel build for OCCAMBSD completed on Thu Feb  4 23:15:37 CET 2021
>>> Kernel(s)  OCCAMBSD built in 25 seconds, ncpu: 32, make -j32
        25.05s real             4m2.88s user            16.54s sys
And here's the entire time I spent, including going to and from the terminal window and doing other things besides building:
pre:
8m27.89s real           28m10.16s user          2m54.02s sys
Here's what the FreeBSD as a type-1 hypervisor runs:
pre:
root@occambsd:~ # ps auxd | less
USER PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TT  STAT STARTED    TIME COMMAND
root   0    f    f     0  144  -  DLs  22:39   0:00.02 [kernel]
root  10    f    f     0   16  -  RNL  22:39   0:50.12 - [idle]
root   1    f    f 11492 1020  -  ILs  22:39   0:00.01 - /sbin/init
root 352    f    f 12824 2544  -  Is   22:39   0:00.00 |-- /usr/sbin/cron -s
root 370    f    f 13440 2948 u0  Is   22:39   0:00.02 `-- login [pam] (login)
root 371    f    f 13472 3320 u0  S    22:39   0:00.04   `-- -sh (sh)
root 375    f    f 13304 2776 u0  R+   22:40   0:00.00     |-- ps auxd
root 376    f    f 13472 3316 u0  R+   22:40   0:00.00     `-- -sh (sh)
root   2    f    f     0   32  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [cam]
root   3    f    f     0   16  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [rand_harvestq]
root   4    f    f     0   48  -  DL   22:39   0:00.01 - [pagedaemon]
root   5    f    f     0   16  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [vmdaemon]
root   6    f    f     0   32  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [bufdaemon]
root   7    f    f     0   16  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [vnlru]
root   8    f    f     0   16  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [syncer]
root   9    f    f     0   16  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [soaiod1]
root  11    f    f     0  144  -  WL   22:39   0:00.33 - [intr]
root  12    f    f     0   48  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [geom]
root  13    f    f     0   16  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [soaiod2]
root  14    f    f     0   16  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [soaiod3]
root  15    f    f     0   16  -  DL   22:39   0:00.00 - [soaiod4]
WITHOUT_ACCOUNTING is one of the macros used, so it's not the most useful.

And here's its memory use:
pre:
Mem: 3624K Active, 372K Inact, 25M Wired, 9028K Buf, 959M Free

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 4, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Way too excited for this week's server upgrades: a 12 TB Easystore, Corsair RM850x, and a 6Gbps SAS controller card that I can hook 8 more drives up to from eBay for only $50.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 5, 2021

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
So is hard drive vibration something I need to worry about? I'm thinking about buying the Asustor Lockerstor 10 and a bunch of the Seagate Exos 16TB drives for $332 each on Newegg. I remember reading ages ago that you're supposed to buy NAS drives for anything more than four drives in a device, which is going to add another $1,500 to my cost.

Alternatively, I can buy a couple of 4- or 5-bay devices and stick with non-NAS drives, but I really like the idea of integrated 10Gbe for future-proofing.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So, I have a couple of questions if you can give me your opinion:

I have one of these lying around:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/437776/kingwin-superspeed-usb-30-dual-bay-sata-drive-docking-station
It's old, but it has some dip switches on the back that I think can put it into RAID 1 (mirroring for redundancy, right?)

I also live next to Costco which has these on sale:
Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB Desktop Hard Drive with Rescue Data Recovery Services
$139.99 each
https://www.costco.com/seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-desktop-hard-drive-with-rescue-data-recovery-services.product.100458004.html

And I have a laptop running linux that has USB 3.0.

I really don't care that much about speed, and 8TB is a lot of space for us. So, my plan is to just buy two of the seagate drives above, "shuck" the drives out, put them in the dual bay thing... set it to mirror the drives, and hook it up to the laptop to share out to the network using NFS and SAMBA...

Does that plan make sense? anything glaringly dumb about it? Are the prices on those drives ok?

I just want to have some storage to back things (data and VM's) up locally to, netboot some raspberry pi's, that sort of thing. If I started downloading lots of 4k linux iso's, could I stream them? Transcoding shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks very much... I learn a lot from this thread. I'm not really too interested in the features of a Synology/Qnap device because I already have like 5 raspberry pi's sitting around and a laptop, so I should be able to make this work, hopefully lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Any suggestions for a computer case that can hold a standard ATX mobo/psu along with six 3.5 SATA disk drives and potentially two 2.5 SSDs and is also not infested with blingy crap & overpriced?