Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

Are you sure that is not a quote about Bloodborne?

It’s definitely about Bloodborne, but it’s also definitely about Sekiro. Even after beating all of Miyazaki’s From games prior to Sekiro coming out, and also never really getting too stuck on anything in any of the games, there were times when I thought I just wasn’t good enough to beat several of the bosses. But then you start to just walk up to bosses without moving, and instinctively deflecting perfectly, while you look down at your controller, slightly confused, like Keanu, but you keep deflecting and before you know it your kusabimaru is all the way down their wind pipe and a blood fountain signifying your victory is shooting out of their necks. Bloodborne was like when the crew was impressed with me, but Sekiro was like I was neo at the end of matrix 1.

But yeah, I agree about MHW’s complexities, but I loving hate MMOs and any game that reminds me of them, but MHW is so well done that despite the obtuse systems, it’s still hella fun. And Fridge Corn, it might take a bit, but I was watching YouTube videos on how to basically speed run your way to the end game and it doesn’t seem too hard, there’s lots of weird workarounds. But it took me quite a while, although I was also just loving around with my friends like 70% of the time too so.

But also, yeah to speak to the complexities of MHW, I have 241 hours logged in MHW, and last night I was spending way too much time in the item box getting ready to hunt, and BP was like what are you doing in there, Cmon man. Then asked if I have item loadouts, and I forgot that that basic mechanic was a thing and it turns out it’s very useful (and I guess at some point I HAD made two item loadouts, but one was meant for standard hunts and then I had another identical one for capturing monsters..). Also BP taught me that you can craft new weapons straight from the upgrade tree in the ‘forge weapons’ menu which I also never knew, and yeah, again I’ve played over 240 hours of this game.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can tell that there’s an entire world of complexity in actually fighting the monsters. Not just understanding and reacting to their many behaviors but also weapons selection and learning how each weapon operates, and also team communication and so on.

But it seems that that’s only like a third of the game at most, in practice. The other two thirds are boring poo poo like traversing the environment over and over again and farming weapon components, even though all the weapon types are available to you from the beginning.

tbf at least 1/3rd of a good mh playthrough is sitting in the smithy and ticking through menus

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I guess when you look at it like that, there's actually a useful aspect to having them run away every so often. It's just not something I enjoy having in the game and I would prefer if it was instead balanced around not needing them to run away so you do can all that maintenance stuff. It's not a big complaint I have with the game, though. I loved MHW and finished the entire base game and a good bit of G rank.

Now that they added the clutch claw mons hardly ever get away, and failing that you can just sling a pod at them to re-aggro. :black101:

Of course, if something does slip by to go sleep off its woes you can now take Lizard Taxi™

Imhotep posted:

last night I was spending way too much time in the item box getting ready to hunt, and BP was like what are you doing in there, Cmon man.

c'mon, man. c'mon, guy. play the radio, answer the television. you're a lyin dog-faced pony soldier

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Started yakuza kiwami 2 and I'm enjoying it but man a lot of the dialogue is weirdly low audio quality, was most of it recycled from the original PS2 version?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Started yakuza kiwami 2 and I'm enjoying it but man a lot of the dialogue is weirdly low audio quality, was most of it recycled from the original PS2 version?

Is there a Stero/Mono audio setting in the options on PS4?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sounds like maybe it's trying to output in surround to a system that isn't actually surround, so there's no center speaker for dialogue.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

The options are for stereo or surround and I'm on stereo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huh, I had no idea I had played so many different games last year. The hours make sense though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Might be worth trying Mono? Apparently there's a bug with the audio in the game, I was just reading about it on the Steam forums. Sounds like they messed up the surround sound downmixing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

1. Anime.
2. Anime.
3. Anime?

checks out

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzG8Sty9veI

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

holy poo poo of all the cool metal gear solid fourth wall breaks I did not know this one!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of audio (or lack of), there’s absolutely nothing I hate more nowadays than finding out a game doesn’t have subtitles. It’s such a bad accessibility issue, I dunno if they have now but it should 100% be something you need to pass cert.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Might be worth trying Mono? Apparently there's a bug with the audio in the game, I was just reading about it on the Steam forums. Sounds like they messed up the surround sound downmixing.
The Steam versions of those* games have myriad problems, I wouldn't assume any of them are present in the PS4 original.

(*not the ones I did obvs)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Speaking of audio (or lack of), there’s absolutely nothing I hate more nowadays than finding out a game doesn’t have subtitles. It’s such a bad accessibility issue, I dunno if they have now but it should 100% be something you need to pass cert.

They exist? Wow. I can't remember a game that didn't have them, and usually they're turned on by default which annoys me if there's a long cutscene before I can access the options menu

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

agreed but more contentiously should they be in the sound menu or the graphics menu?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

E: I meant to edit this and not make a new post

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 3, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

I can’t think of any games that don’t have subtitles, weirdly. Even demon’s souls for ps5 has subtitles under the like intro cutscenes text that says ‘On the first day...’, but I can see that being a legibility issue.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

They exist? Wow. I can't remember a game that didn't have them, and usually they're turned on by default which annoys me if there's a long cutscene before I can access the options menu

I’m playing Singularity on PS3 for at the moment and there’s no subs :(

JollyBoyJohn posted:

agreed but more contentiously should they be in the sound menu or the graphics menu?

The accessibility menu with colourblind mode :banjo:

Akuma posted:

The Steam versions of those* games have myriad problems, I wouldn't assume any of them are present in the PS4 original.

(*not the ones I did obvs)

There’s a fair few hits for Kiwami 2 audio problems on PS4 on Google!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Imhotep posted:

It’s definitely about Bloodborne, but it’s also definitely about Sekiro. Even after beating all of Miyazaki’s From games prior to Sekiro coming out, and also never really getting too stuck on anything in any of the games, there were times when I thought I just wasn’t good enough to beat several of the bosses. But then you start to just walk up to bosses without moving, and instinctively deflecting perfectly, while you look down at your controller, slightly confused, like Keanu, but you keep deflecting and before you know it your kusabimaru is all the way down their wind pipe and a blood fountain signifying your victory is shooting out of their necks. Bloodborne was like when the crew was impressed with me, but Sekiro was like I was neo at the end of matrix 1.

Am I right in understanding that Sekiro combat is really all about parrying? As in, that's the main way you make any progress because you aren't beating any bosses without being good at it?

If so, how would you compare this to the parrying combat in Metal Gear Rising, for example? I remember back when the demo came out and trying to play it like a standard action game until hitting the skill check in the demo which was that robot dog boss, which you absolutely needed to learn how to parry, and it was a similar feeling there whereby once you got used to parrying it was really satisfying and you felt powerful. The rest of the game is incredible and it's a shame that suspected sequel tease just turned out to be an anniversary celebration or something.

Is combat in Sekiro similar? Come to think of it, it seems like a similar game with the stealth aspects and grappling up onto things, and how Raiden sneaks around similarly to drop down and do insta-kills as well. I have a feeling that the parrying system in Metal Gear Rising is likely a lot more forgiving than Sekiro, though?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's actually very comparable, yes. Parrying in Sekiro increases the enemy's "instant kill" counter, much in the same way that repeated parries in Revengeance will often make enemies vulnerable to Blade Mode attacks. The implementation is somewhat different, but the way the game uses parrying as part of the flow of combat is quite similar.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LMFAO

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SUNKOS posted:

Is combat in Sekiro similar? Come to think of it, it seems like a similar game with the stealth aspects and grappling up onto things, and how Raiden sneaks around similarly to drop down and do insta-kills as well. I have a feeling that the parrying system in Metal Gear Rising is likely a lot more forgiving than Sekiro, though?

Parrying is an absolutely necessary mechanic in Sekiro, I don't remember feeling that way in MGS:R but then I maybe played on easy and its been a long time and drat I need to play that one again

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Am I right in understanding that Sekiro combat is really all about parrying? As in, that's the main way you make any progress because you aren't beating any bosses without being good at it?

If so, how would you compare this to the parrying combat in Metal Gear Rising, for example? I remember back when the demo came out and trying to play it like a standard action game until hitting the skill check in the demo which was that robot dog boss, which you absolutely needed to learn how to parry, and it was a similar feeling there whereby once you got used to parrying it was really satisfying and you felt powerful. The rest of the game is incredible and it's a shame that suspected sequel tease just turned out to be an anniversary celebration or something.

I just replayed MGR and Sekiro over the holidays, so they're fresh in my mind. You pretty much have it right. They're very much games in the template of their respective developers, but they both put parrying front-and-center, which puts emphasis on player aggression. And you'll eventually hit a wall in both without getting the hang of it. MGR's mechanics are more forgiving and if you're mediocre it'll let you pass with a lovely grade, where Sekiro will fail your rear end. Sekiro's combat is more finely tuned, it has a much steeper difficulty curve, but also a much higher skill ceiling.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How are ya'll checking your year end reviews?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Detective No. 27 posted:

How are ya'll checking your year end reviews?

https://wrapup.playstation.com

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

For reasons I'm very confused about, apparently I barely play games at all on Tuesdays :confused:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

For reasons I'm very confused about, apparently I barely play games at all on Tuesdays :confused:

Me too.

I was finishing up grad school in the first half of the year, so I'm sure it would have been doubled without that.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The dialogue audio quality in kawami 2 got better in chapter 2 for some reason??? It was mostly an issue in chapter 1 in the meeting at Tojo HQ

E: ok so in chapter 3 the conversation between the Osaka division 4 chief and the female lead detective was heavily compressed/low quality but the following cutscene between kiryu and daigo was fine so I'm guessing it's just when they occasionally use old recordings

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 4, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gearbox was bought by the holding company formerly called THQ Nordic (which was a spinoff of THQ's properties when they were all picked apart in bankruptcy)

https://www.ign.com/articles/embracer-acquires-gearbox-in-13b-deal

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Okay, Control is hecking good so far but for the love of Eris why isn't there a setting for left stick sensitivity? You barely touch the thing and she goes sprinting off, makes collectible hunting a bit annoying

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PS4 thread is chill. Easy amount of posts to catch up on daily, slowly dwindling to a trickle. Only a few posters left along with mod-in-residency. No hardware debates. Just peaceful easy feeling, like an old blind person sitting in a chair slowly losing they mind.

:corsair:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The PS4 Thread Remembers

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't think there are even any PS5 exclusives until what, late summer? I guess there's Deathloop?

this gen is the bounty that keeps on giving

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
AI: the solomumium files (or whatever that word is, I can never remember) it’s still pretty fun but boy I hate the character of Iris. I knew I would hate her from the trailers I saw, which is almost singularly why I didn’t give the game a try until now. I guess she’s just meant to be that way?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders does the PS3 output sound over USB 👀👀👀 I know you’re an expert on that stuff

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Cross post

Simone Magus posted:

Holy poo poo Control is good :stare:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't think there are even any PS5 exclusives until what, late summer? I guess there's Deathloop?

this gen is the bounty that keeps on giving

Hey man there's Destruction Allstars!

(lol)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders does the PS3 output sound over USB 👀👀👀 I know you’re an expert on that stuff
It depends entirely on the device. My old Turtle Beach headset did but my new Logitech one doesn’t. I have various headphone amps and some of them have worked and some of them haven’t. That kind of thing isn’t documented anywhere for the most part and sometimes you have no choice but just to try it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

"There's more to being a good person than just having a stereo television" is so drat wholesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kirios posted:

Hey man there's Destruction Allstars!

(lol)

It's a fun game!