Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

also agreed, I couldn't stand that character but then again I can't stand most characters that are only there to prevent cool characters from doing stuff

Yeah. I think I can sort of see the polycule's side of things, but having Drummer eat poo poo all season, you think someone that loved her would understand that everyone has their limits, and having to watch some guy kill not one, two, but possibly three people you loved and then follow his orders is a bit much to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Dreylad posted:

As weird and dumb at times as Season 2 was, the fight at the end of season 2 and Farouk in general was just amazing.

rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

I'm kinda hoping it's like The West Wing and there's just an endless stream of American capital interests + NGOs constantly trying to undermine Wakandan sovereignty and funneling wealth out of the country while the administrators just throw up their arms in exasperation

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I watched Ad Astra before it left HBO and it was pretty much the opposite of what I expected, in a good way, although I kinda felt myself looking at the time as the movie dragged in the second half

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
gently caress YEAH DRUMMER

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I am so loving upset they don't exactly say "THE NAME OF THE PLACE IS BABYLON 5" in the season three opening credits

so loving mad at this

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Lib and let die posted:

Do parents have that talk with their kids about being youtube stars the way our parents talked to us about being athletes or rock stars?

A cursory glance at the state of things says no but I am ever the cynic.

my dad once sat me down and told me the chances of me being an astronaut were very slim

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

double negative posted:

looking forward to moving on from The Passion of Naomi Nagata

loving right

I really wished they would have fleshed out the clarissa/amos plot more instead of spending like 45 minutes showing us naomi eating poo poo so hard

obviously clarissa is going to be a big part of the plot in the next season and she has the potential to fill the void left by the departure of alex

it would have been cool to have an episode of clarissa and amos biking from the prison to baltimore, post apocalyptic adventure friends

they could even have played up clarissa's piloting skills and made up some bullshit about how she was actually the ace pilot in the family and if she had her sister's passion for it she could have made a go at it as a pro, whatever so she could occupy the pilot slot

i feel like we are getting bull shoehorned in there and that is like swapping the thing you want for the thing you do not want.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

just make Monica the pilot imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

loving right

I really wished they would have fleshed out the clarissa/amos plot more instead of spending like 45 minutes showing us naomi eating poo poo so hard

obviously clarissa is going to be a big part of the plot in the next season and she has the potential to fill the void left by the departure of alex

it would have been cool to have an episode of clarissa and amos biking from the prison to baltimore, post apocalyptic adventure friends

they could even have played up clarissa's piloting skills and made up some bullshit about how she was actually the ace pilot in the family and if she had her sister's passion for it she could have made a go at it as a pro, whatever so she could occupy the pilot slot

i feel like we are getting bull shoehorned in there and that is like swapping the thing you want for the thing you do not want.

I remember there was a flashback in season 3 where she's like "you know dad, I could fly the Razorback if Julie doesn't want to" and Bad Dad JP Mao is like "lol stfu don't be absurd your sister is the cool one not you"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

vyelkin posted:

I remember there was a flashback in season 3 where she's like "you know dad, I could fly the Razorback if Julie doesn't want to" and Bad Dad JP Mao is like "lol stfu don't be absurd your sister is the cool one not you"

oh poo poo yeah, that is true!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

tfw they don't say "the name of the place is babylon 5"

https://i.imgur.com/D7EE48T.mp4

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

I am so loving upset they don't exactly say "THE NAME OF THE PLACE IS BABYLON 5" in the season three opening credits

so loving mad at this

They already had "It failed" and were afraid that also having "The name of the place" would make it too awesome.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

yeah, just loving amazing start to the episode.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I was skeptical they could top Aubrey Plaza as the Shadow King in the first season but Navid Negahban absolutely knocked it out of the park. He is by far the best part of seasons 2 and 3.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Fleetwood posted:

I watched Ad Astra before it left HBO and it was pretty much the opposite of what I expected, in a good way, although I kinda felt myself looking at the time as the movie dragged in the second half

It's a film I like a lot although it's a hard film to like and I understand people not taking to it. It's long and internal and ponderous and almost perversely anti-SF: the future sucks, space travel is slow, there are no aliens.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

nonathlon posted:

It's a film I like a lot although it's a hard film to like and I understand people not taking to it. It's long and internal and ponderous and almost perversely anti-SF: the future sucks, space travel is slow, there are no aliens.

I liked the internal space baboon fight and the ponderous moon pirates chase.

Imo the script was kinda lovely, there was a seed of a good film there but they beefed it mostly. Pitt seemed like he's doing a Gosling impression from a Refn movie or something. It turned out robotic, simplistic and boring, didn't care for it much. Some cool shots and sound design though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nonathlon posted:

Funny thing is Red Dwarf is probably the most mainstream sci-fi I can think of (besides maaybe Gundam for the most part) that does the 'there's no aliens, all weird poo poo ultimately comes from Earth' thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ad Astra built a far more interesting universe than what the script actually ended up doing anything with.

A moon that's been so gentrified it's just a strip mall? Mars-as-a-citadel? Pirates? Frenzied space monkeys? That's cool, man.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So a lot of Zoomers on Twitter are upset that Robert Downey Jr. once put on blackface for a role.
https://twitter.com/DianaWintah/status/1356620270077964293?s=19

Apparently, portrayal is endorsement.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

thats a tweet from 2019 and a tweet from... 2020?? i tried finding more and i found people talking about that tweet and this. i think its some weird indecipherable kpop twitter meme

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

when copypastas go woke

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
kpop people on twitter are a level of deranged ill never fully comprehend

after seeing the way they *still* react to limmy shitposting about them like over 2 years ago is so wild

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Fleetwood posted:

I'm kinda hoping it's like The West Wing and there's just an endless stream of American capital interests + NGOs constantly trying to undermine Wakandan sovereignty and funneling wealth out of the country while the administrators just throw up their arms in exasperation

My bet is “they’re cops but they aren’t called cops and they have cool vibranium super weapons” because that’s the only show we make. They took Lucifer, a comic about traveling the spiritual universe and dealing with cosmic forces and made it “what if he cop but not called cop who sometimes has sex outside of marriage”

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

remember when they turned snowpiercer into a cop show

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Forceholy posted:

So a lot of Zoomers on Twitter are upset that Robert Downey Jr. once put on blackface for a role.

I wonder if this has anything to do with them trying to get Chris Pratt bkacklisted

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Bro Dad posted:

remember when they turned snowpiercer into a cop show

Lol is that what that show is about?

Remeber when they did hes a cop but he’s also Frankenstein monster in 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I miss detective mystery shows. Everything has to be cop cop cop.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Within a decade blackface will be in vogue again and may even be as ubiquitous as regular make up.

"Would you like standard foundation or blackface?" The makeup person will ask

"Oh, blackface please" you will say

"Great choice!" They will say

And you know it is a sign that we have healed as a nation because that make-up person? Well, they are black (played uncontroversially in the movie version of these events by none other than Reese Witherspoon, in full blackface)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

kpop people on twitter are a level of deranged ill never fully comprehend

after seeing the way they *still* react to limmy shitposting about them like over 2 years ago is so wild

limmy rules

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ad Astra built a far more interesting universe than what the script actually ended up doing anything with.

A moon that's been so gentrified it's just a strip mall? Mars-as-a-citadel? Pirates? Frenzied space monkeys? That's cool, man.

This is pretty much how I felt. A cool hard sci-fi universe where capitalism is ruining space the same way it ruined everything else, but then that universe is just window dressing for the most boring story imaginable about the most boring man imaginable exploring his daddy issues.

Like, literally, Brad Pitt's character's defining character trait is that he doesn't show emotions.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Egg Moron posted:

Within a decade blackface will be in vogue again and may even be as ubiquitous as regular make up.

And you know it is a sign that we have healed as a nation because that make-up person? Well, they are black (played uncontroversially in the movie version of these events by none other than Reese Witherspoon, in full blackface)

Check with Canada

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Forceholy posted:

Check with Canada Virginia

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
our prime minstrel has done blackface way more often and way more recently than Northrom!

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Feb 4, 2021

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

US or Canadian, I hope to one day take my children to the statues erected in honor of our continent's first openly black face elected officials

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

This is pretty much how I felt. A cool hard sci-fi universe where capitalism is ruining space the same way it ruined everything else, but then that universe is just window dressing for the most boring story imaginable about the most boring man imaginable exploring his daddy issues.

Like, literally, Brad Pitt's character's defining character trait is that he doesn't show emotions.

Sci-Fi movies like this one that utterly piss away a compelling premise or world on nothing burger characters or stories infuriate me. That movie could have been so good but instead it was about the aforementioned most boring man in the universe and his quest to stop his Boomer dad from going nuts and blowing everything up for some reason.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMZ6zp-3oGY

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

Sci-Fi movies like this one that utterly piss away a compelling premise or world on nothing burger characters or stories infuriate me. That movie could have been so good but instead it was about the aforementioned most boring man in the universe and his quest to stop his Boomer dad from going nuts and blowing everything up for some reason.

I'm just LOLing at its premise that a 55 year old man and a 72 year old man are in any condition to be astronauts

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mameluke posted:

I'm just LOLing at its premise that a 55 year old man and a 72 year old man are in any condition to be astronauts

there have been old rear end astronauts. I mean they weren't fighting space baboons but they can survive high g burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Forceholy posted:

https://twitter.com/SwordImpulse/status/1356977258267889668?s=19

lol