Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I noticed that. Probably a mistake/bug. Creepy.

I wonder are there games where the very UI deliberately gaslights the player? Small changes that amount over time fwith the intent to unsettle the player.

Mary's Letter slowly vanishing from your inventory during Silent Hill 2 is a great one.

More recently, Death Stranding starts introducing short nightmare sequences after a certain story beat which just pop up randomly in your Private Room. Whenever you use one of the terminals like the mirror you get a cutscene that LOOKS like the normal one in every way, and then something scary happens. It's great how totally seamless it is, there's no way to know if it'll be one of those nightmares until it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I wonder are there games where the very UI deliberately gaslights the player? Small changes that amount over time fwith the intent to unsettle the player.

Eternal Darkness is built on exactly this. Bye-bye save games...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cythereal posted:

High WIS, low INT.

I laughed, but Kassandra totally dumped everything into CHA/STR.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

The background in desert golf changes colour very slowly as you progress through more holes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I laughed, but Kassandra totally dumped everything into CHA/STR.

Nobody with a low DEX could move like she does

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That's how powerful her CHA stat is; moves like a walrus, makes you think she's a wolf.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

While coming up with that joke, I came to the conclusion that she cheated on her rolls.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

She just threatened the storytellers until they put in some stuff about how graceful she was.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's disappointing that Kassandra never bursts through a wall like the kool aid man

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Wouldn't call it 'gaslighting' per se, but the original B&W and its sequel used to have a gimmick whereby when a villager died, a creepy voice would whisper Deathhhhh.

But through some kind of dubiously legal privacy breach, the game could also scrape your name from your PC. Possibly Windows registration or whatever. If that name appeared on a list of pre-prepared names, very very rarely (i.e. once in a playthrough), it would whisper your name instead.

Needless to say this freaked my brother out bigtime. And the internet confirms that it was real, and not just some gaming urban legend.

Hell of investment for a throwaway scare. But all the more of a cool little thing in a game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jeza posted:

Wouldn't call it 'gaslighting' per se, but the original B&W and its sequel used to have a gimmick whereby when a villager died, a creepy voice would whisper Deathhhhh.

But through some kind of dubiously legal privacy breach, the game could also scrape your name from your PC. Possibly Windows registration or whatever. If that name appeared on a list of pre-prepared names, very very rarely (i.e. once in a playthrough), it would whisper your name instead.

Needless to say this freaked my brother out bigtime. And the internet confirms that it was real, and not just some gaming urban legend.

Hell of investment for a throwaway scare. But all the more of a cool little thing in a game.

Didn't it just pull it from your user profile name?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Jeza posted:

thing in a game.

Len posted:

Didn't it just pull it from your user profile name?

It was just your user profile/god name ingame, and if it matched the prerecorded ones it would play the voiceclip.
Stronghold did something similar I believe, where the menu guy/narrator would refer to you by name if your input name matched a short list of supported names. Otherwise you were just 'lord'.
(Fallout 4 also does this I think? If your protag has one of a handful supported names, your robo-butler refers to you by your name instead of generic sir/(ma'am? Only played as a dude.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This reminds of the game Photographs on Steam. It's a narrative game with puzzle elements. The game is so loving depressing it makes Edith Finch look like a comedy.

Basically you learn the five stories of people who regret a decision they made at some point: A child dies horribly, a young woman is rendered destitute, a tribe is wiped out, an act of domestic terrorism occurs, a new family is broken up.

At the end of the story the five protagonists plead towards a mirror. In the mirror pops up your profile picture, which was my real face in this instance. You then have to decide to give only one of the five the chance to make things right. You had to play the entire game again if you wanted to see another ending, but the creator relented and patched in a cheat option.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I know that Middle Earth: Shadow of War was all the rage in this thread in 2017, but I started playing it again recently and I realized how it did procedural generation right. The whole Bruz saga went very differently in my 2017 game than my 2021 game. The first time I killed him by mistake, he cheated death, I shamed him a couple times and recruited him back, then made him Overlord in the hopes that he would defend me from online people while crying "I don't want the fooooooort". Now I killed him on purpose and he came back as a zombie in the Zog quest, then I was ambushed by his brothers trying to avenge his death(s).

I also like the ActRaiser-like vibe of the 2 types of gameplay.

I also love that they haven't fixed the bug where a hundred orcs spawn on the exact same point so you can just jump in there, poison everyone, leave, come back a half hour later and pick up a million gems.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SubNat posted:

(Fallout 4 also does this I think? If your protag has one of a handful supported names, your robo-butler refers to you by your name instead of generic sir/(ma'am? Only played as a dude.)

It's actually a pretty long list (I don't think this is anywhere near all of them, just the first video I found)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Spec Ops The Line says "Special Guest (your name)" at the end of the intro credits and if you're watching the cutscene going on behind them instead it'll totally fly by you. It's awesome. Doubly awesome for me because I pirated Spec Ops the first time I played it way back when, so the end of the credits instead read "SPECIAL GUEST SKIDROW".

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

It's actually a pretty long list (I don't think this is anywhere near all of them, just the first video I found)

I'm mentally five years old because the robot yelling out "MISTER BOOBIES" in a serious tone of voice has me laughing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Thank you for your service, LAPTOP-HOME :patriot:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Spec Ops The Line says "Special Guest (your name)" at the end of the intro credits and if you're watching the cutscene going on behind them instead it'll totally fly by you. It's awesome. Doubly awesome for me because I pirated Spec Ops the first time I played it way back when, so the end of the credits instead read "SPECIAL GUEST SKIDROW".

I like how Spec Ops : The Line fucks with the player: At one point Walker hallucinates that one of his dead squad mate is a hostile npc. If you die you get a loading screen where you see the mother who died in the phosphorus attack humming "twinkle twinkle little star". When the game returns the hostile npc is looking like a hostile npc and the special loading screen never appears again. Then there's the game's opening. It starts with Walker and his squad in helicopter figthing another helicopter. It then flashes back. When you reach the helicopter scene Walker shouts "this has happened before!" and his squad tells him to shut the gently caress up.

I'm playing A Plague Tale: Innocence and I like how Amicia is hyperventilating when she's in a stressful situation.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm playing Assassins Creed Valhalla and I loving love that Eivor is a poet. Like, more games need a poet as a MC.

She's not as cool as Kassandra, but holy poo poo is the game better in every way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

SubNat posted:

It was just your user profile/god name ingame, and if it matched the prerecorded ones it would play the voiceclip.
Stronghold did something similar I believe, where the menu guy/narrator would refer to you by name if your input name matched a short list of supported names. Otherwise you were just 'lord'.

Re: Fallout 4
One of my roommates at the time was annoyed that they didn’t have a voice clip for “Ean” but they did have one for “Mr. Fuckface”

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

christmas boots posted:

Re: Fallout 4
One of my roommates at the time was annoyed that they didn’t have a voice clip for “Ean” but they did have one for “Mr. Fuckface”

What's the difference?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alhazred posted:

I'm playing A Plague Tale: Innocence and I like how Amicia is hyperventilating when she's in a stressful situation.

I think the voice cast did a really good job in that game for being mostly young adults themselves. Amicia and Melie in particular.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
World Of Horror's music is absurdly good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CordlessPen posted:

What's the difference?

He didn't like that joke then and he probably wouldn't like it now.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Alhazred posted:

I like how Spec Ops : The Line fucks with the player: At one point Walker hallucinates that one of his dead squad mate is a hostile npc. If you die you get a loading screen where you see the mother who died in the phosphorus attack humming "twinkle twinkle little star". When the game returns the hostile npc is looking like a hostile npc and the special loading screen never appears again. Then there's the game's opening. It starts with Walker and his squad in helicopter figthing another helicopter. It then flashes back. When you reach the helicopter scene Walker shouts "this has happened before!" and his squad tells him to shut the gently caress up.

If I'm remembering it right a bunch of the graffiti changes if you look away and look back again. I think it becomes more gruesome/creepy?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Reminds me of how Arkham Knight does that. Lots of "blink and you'll miss it" Joker stuff alongside the more in-your-face moments.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

John Murdoch posted:

Reminds me of how Arkham Knight does that. Lots of "blink and you'll miss it" Joker stuff alongside the more in-your-face moments.

He'll just be hanging on on rooftops sometimes, not doing anything but just watching you go by.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

John Murdoch posted:

It is truly mind boggling just how much of this there is, too. Here's a great compilation I found and this is actually still missing a few I encountered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTHnXb_rymU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CJacobs posted:

It is truly mind boggling just how much of this there is, too. Here's a great compilation I found and this is actually still missing a few I encountered.

Goddamn that's cool. I hardly noticed any of those whole playing. Makes me want to start a fresh game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

That's awesome, I missed a lot of those. So many neat design touches in that game even if I can't seem to get into actually playing the dang thing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Something I noticed in the zombie tunnels in Half-Life 2: Episode 1: when Alyx stomps on a headcrab, it has the same sound effect that used to play when something gibbed in Half-Life 1.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

That's awesome, I missed a lot of those. So many neat design touches in that game even if I can't seem to get into actually playing the dang thing.

It does seem that that game has a lot of good touches in an otherwise not so great game.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jeza posted:

That was a Bullfrog/Lionhead thing (basically cool little things, the game studio). In one of their earlier games, I want to say Dungeon Keeper 1, the enemy AI would sometimes send you angry letters via "fax machine" if it noticed that you have printer connected.

Shame about Molyneux going the crazy bullshit artist -route.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

In the HBS Battletech game, you get an achievement for watching the credits to the end :3:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Catzilla posted:

In the HBS Battletech game, you get an achievement for watching the credits to the end :3:

That's really the only way I'll press any credits button.

Sorry huge studios, but I don't give a poo poo about who leads your company's HR department or whatever.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Battlefront 2’s music options are: Off, On, and Continuous.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

moosecow333 posted:

Battlefront 2’s music options are: Off, On, and Continuous.

In a similar vein, Doom Eternal's graphics presets start with the usual 'Low/Mid/High/Ultra', but if you have the extra horsepower you can set individual settings to 'Nightmare' all the way up to 'Ultra Nightmare' to really push the engine as far as it can go. ULTRA NIGHTMARE shadows looks really crisp! Really love the smoothness of ULTRA NIGHTMARE anti aliasing too. Just a big fan of cranking all my performance settings up to ULTRA NIGHTMARE.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samovar posted:

It does seem that that game has a lot of good touches in an otherwise not so great game.

Arkham Knight has its issues, but it's honestly pretty dang good.

Granted, I didn't have much of a problem with the Batmobile stuff (some of it is over-exaggerated) so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

John Murdoch posted:

Arkham Knight has its issues, but it's honestly pretty dang good.

Granted, I didn't have much of a problem with the Batmobile stuff (some of it is over-exaggerated) so YMMV.

I like Arkham Knight a bunch except for the stealth Batmobile sections and the tunnels where you fight the Knight in the Batmobile, which is where I quit playing. I should get back and try to power through that section.

Honestly the Batmobile isn't as bad as it's reputation makes it out to be. It just takes some getting used to.