Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Earth posted:

By my understanding Ry's goal is to have the flames on the inside.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

freelop posted:

Ry you should get multiple trailers for the truk with different functions (eg a totally soundproofed generator trailer, a mobile hydroponics garden, animal stable) thus forming the Ryder Road Truk-train.

At night you could park it in a defensive circle like old West wagons around the timber shitter

Snowpiercer, but not even remotely sustainable and perpetually on fire.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Ashblunter

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Everett False posted:

Everything about this thread tracks perfectly with everything I know about contractors and people who work in construction, particularly in rural areas. The old schoolhouse paid my grandfather to haul off their woodshed once they got a real heating system, and he proceeded to put it up on cinder blocks and live in it on and off for the next fifty years. He also had an outhouse, and I think legally his Troll Shack may actually have been considered a hunting camp. In the 90s he put in RV hookups for water and power and got a camper with a bathroom in it, so he could piss outside and drive the camper to the local campground intermittently to empty it out. This was only when he couldn't find a girlfriend he could scam into letting him live with her.

I don't remember the logic behind all these decisions--I think they involved permits and taxation and what qualifies as a permanent structure. But he could provably build a real and functional house, and was paid very well to do so, so I have to imagine something about the paperwork involved in building a house leads a certain type of person to spend a lot of time fantasizing about bizarre, elaborate workarounds.

Depending on where you live or what you're working on, permits are a nightmare for actual production. We once had to get a permit from the city to use a client's garage as a temporary workshop for our graybeard to do custom work on site at the client's request, but we didn't need a permit for all of the doors and millwork he would be replacing. Our addition on a "historic building" had to be pushed back nearly a month because of constant, tiny revisions to the plans before we could get a permit to even step foot in the building. Most annoying was when we got our building-specific building permits revoked on a condo remodel because an HVAC subcontractor brought in one too many workers (pre-COVID). We had to reapply for the permits and got almost 2 weeks behind schedule because 4 working men and a production manager are good to go, but 5 working men and no production manager is too many people to allow into a condo

Our "historic building" is in scare quotes because the house itself had no actual artistic, cultural, or historic significance of any kind, it was just a larger than average house that was built before the city was incorporated, so the city declared it historic

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Code Jockey posted:

Interior fire pit suffocater
I drive a box truck people immolater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JnGnMFxmk

Please combine theses, thanks.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Rytheric posted:

So my box truck breaks down reliably. When it breaks down I know where it has broken and can easily fix it ive managed to create fail points that are meant to fail before catastrophic damage occurs elsewhere these points are easily accessible and easily repaired. I am worried that if I adjust any part of the exhaust or intake that that would shift the dynamic

you... i.... you....

you know what, i ain't even mad. shine on.

Paladinus posted:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 4, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
Man yall have been busy while I've been protecting lakes from farmers. I may have a timber shitter, but at least I'm not throwing heating oil tanks and tires into a creek.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
This is wonderful, I have loved reading all of this.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

welcome to the not loving around coalition

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rytheric what do you think about Japanese bathrooms where both the shitter and the bath/shower are separate, sealed wet rooms? Seems like they would meet your criteria of keeping the poopy/bathing air out of your living area except for the brief moment where you have to open the door to go in or out of them

https://japantoday.com/category/features/lifestyle/12-awesome-features-of-japanese-bathrooms-you-wont-find-in-the-west

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Sub Rosa posted:

Please share stories from your time as a small town theater actor. Thanks in advance.

Imagine this man dressed as such giving a hamlet monologue in a Scottish accent only to run to an intercom halfway through to announce that the store will be closing in 5 minutes. Most memorable play.

So I've been in a few plays I cant remember but this one was for a county level theater competition. We won. The play was about how wonky dreams could be sometimes. We had people jumping out of dumpsters and stuff. Anyway. So the lady I went to rent an apartment with that got burnt down tried to hook me up with her sister. And she figured the best way to do that was to have me perform in her sisters play. It was fun, but I was more interested in the lady hooking me up with her sister than her sister. Cue the whole apartment burning down fiasco.

As for the outfit itself. It was my second senior year in college and i decided it was time to try socializing. So I met these groups of people who liked to larp playing Amptgard. The gambeson and "talbard" i made for roughly $200. The gambeson had these awesome wooden toggles that I loved instead of buttons. And the double stripped hemming was a definite eye pleaser. Unfortunately you can't see the toggles under my talbard. The talbard displays my family crest which i thought was cool.

Violence warning
Ultimately I had to throw it away because a friend and I got bored with foam sock swords and started going after each other with blunted swords. Unfortunately he welded his from junkyard scrap of a lower grade steel than mine. So as we went at it, mine started biting a serrated edge into his sword which ended up cutting across my fingers (hadn't made the gloves yet) and blood just sprayed everywhere. This ended up with people fighting over who got to treat my wound ironically. We decided to wait until we completed our armour sets to go at it with metal again. But one match with sticks later, after taking some damage a more brutal me instinctively reacted to a blow where I crouched down and thrusted my whole body and open palm upper cutted him in his diapham which launched him about a foot or so in the air. So we called it quits after that. So, I threw it away because I never figured out how to clean the blood off and I outgrew the gambeson

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 4, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Phew had to do damage control on that one almost gave my whole selfie collection away

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Man yall have been busy while I've been protecting lakes from farmers. I may have a timber shitter, but at least I'm not throwing heating oil tanks and tires into a creek.

Where do you throw your tyres then?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

hooooooly poo poo there's a blast from the past, I haven't thought about this in ages

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Rytheric what do you think about Japanese bathrooms where both the shitter and the bath/shower are separate, sealed wet rooms? Seems like they would meet your criteria of keeping the poopy/bathing air out of your living area except for the brief moment where you have to open the door to go in or out of them

https://japantoday.com/category/features/lifestyle/12-awesome-features-of-japanese-bathrooms-you-wont-find-in-the-west

That is ideal for me. I was considering sneaking a shower on the side of the timbershitter with a fold out privacy fense. It gets too cold to shower outside in the winter though.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Code Jockey posted:

hooooooly poo poo there's a blast from the past, I haven't thought about this in ages

I know right? When I was playing amtgard, the sheriff of my hamlet was like yo, I can only give you so many artisan and creativity awards at once. I became the defacto foam Smith making things from hoplite shields and weaponry to kingdom heart keyboards and such. Was interesting times. I spent all my money at the time on it leaving only enough for peanut butter and butter sandwiches. I stopped playing because of drama. And after a somewhat real sword fight, fighting with foam just wasn't cutting it.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 4, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

freelop posted:

Ry you should get multiple trailers for the truk with different functions (eg a totally soundproofed generator trailer, a mobile hydroponics garden, animal stable) thus forming the Ryder Road Truk-train.

At night you could park it in a defensive circle like old West wagons around the timber shitter

I thought of this. Have a movable showerhouse and such like that to take with me. But hell if I want to drive every piece everywhere.

My current caravan idea was to have a motorcycle on a hitch in the front. (Max weight 500lbs so a Yamaha v star 600 or something) then tow a geotracker in the back. I probably should have went with a pick up and tiny trailer home, but Behmy was for sale for cheap and only cost me a few thousand to make it somewhat functional.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 4, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

I think people are confused because that's not even close to how engines work.

So one item of interest where a controlled fail point is somewhat necessary which you can find on the e350 Facebook page, is in regard to the cooling system of the engine. The radiators for the e350s of the 90s were mostly plastic with metal brackets/joiners. All sorts of wonky stuff happen with those radiators over time as the plastic degrades or the pieces expand at different rates, and they just crack to pieces. An aftermarket fully metal one as they should have had in the first place is rather expensive and a plastic one is still expensive, but somewhat reasonable.

After you buy a new radiator, the next piece to fail is the erroneously named "quick release" of the heater core intake. The connector is plastic and cracks over time. This however is a perfect controlled failure point though that protects the radiator if you clamp it down regularly without that stupid quick release. A hose popping off is better than your radiator cracking due to pressure.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rytheric posted:

So one item of interest where a controlled fail point is somewhat necessary which you can find on the e350 Facebook page, is in regard to the cooling system of the engine. The radiators for the e350s of the 90s were mostly plastic with metal brackets/joiners. All sorts of wonky stuff happen with those radiators over time as the plastic degrades or the pieces expand at different rates, and they just crack to pieces. An aftermarket fully metal one as they should have had in the first place is rather expensive and a plastic one is still expensive, but somewhat reasonable.

After you buy a new radiator, the next piece to fail is the erroneously named "quick release" of the heater core intake. The connector is plastic and cracks over time. This however is a perfect controlled failure point though that protects the radiator if you clamp it down regularly without that stupid quick release. A hose popping off is better than your radiator cracking due to pressure.

You should drive this thing across america on the Appalachian trail to raise awareness. Way better than driving on the highway.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So, the lady that about wrecked our work vehicle the other day laughing at the thought of me inviting a lady to the water tower observatory then telling her that she has to use the timbershitter; well I told her about the fire pit idea, and she was cool with the idea. She was initially down with tiny houses too til she heard of my issues and now wants a larger log cabin instead which I told her I would be willing to build for her after I build the shitters, at least one MurderHaus and my hemp farmers garage. She also helped out on the hemp farm one day when asked while my tinder dates gave underwhelming reasons to declined. I dont want to speak to soon, but perhaps she may be a Mrs. GroverTruk candidate. She is anti-TimberShitter though so I have to find the best of sconces for them.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Timbershitter love best love??

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Rytheric posted:

well I told her about the fire pit idea, and she was cool with the idea.

Just hold on loosely, but don't let go. If you cling too tightly you're gonna lose control. Your baby needs someone to believe in, and a box truck of space to breathe in.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Show her this thread op

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Op, are you aware of used shipping containers and karaoke?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rytheric posted:

So, the lady that about wrecked our work vehicle the other day laughing at the thought of me inviting a lady to the water tower observatory then telling her that she has to use the timbershitter; well I told her about the fire pit idea, and she was cool with the idea. She was initially down with tiny houses too til she heard of my issues and now wants a larger log cabin instead which I told her I would be willing to build for her after I build the shitters, at least one MurderHaus and my hemp farmers garage. She also helped out on the hemp farm one day when asked while my tinder dates gave underwhelming reasons to declined. I dont want to speak to soon, but perhaps she may be a Mrs. GroverTruk candidate. She is anti-TimberShitter though so I have to find the best of sconces for them.

I think I've come to appreciate some of the side characters in this story as much as our man Ry.

Seriously, it's like a look into rural America that you just don't see that often.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
How is everyone just talking normally when the gooniest picture was just posted in the gooniest kind of thread??? How is everyone not losing their poo poo???

Bless you, Ry, but please no more blunt sword fighting, if you fingat us in this thread I don't know what will happen.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's plenty of opportunities to lose a fingat in construction of the timbershitter don't worry.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sab Sabbington posted:

How is everyone just talking normally when the gooniest picture was just posted in the gooniest kind of thread??? How is everyone not losing their poo poo???

Shock and awe, he lead with the fire pit in the truck and everything else seems reasonable comparatively

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Rytheric posted:

peanut butter and butter sandwiches.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Sab Sabbington posted:

Bless you, Ry, but please no more blunt sword fighting, if you fingat us in this thread I don't know what will happen.

yeah tbh that pic wasn't even a blip on the radar

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Try it, they're pretty good.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
This thread just keeps delivering. You got the truck cheap but had to put a "few thousand" into it to make it drivable?? But of the few thousand you spent on it you didn't pick up a rad or finish the exhaust or get a rear door. You can buy a brand new aluminum rad for the old ford V8s and 10s for like $200. And exhaust pipes are also super cheap, especially relative to not hotboxing your truck with knockout gas.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

every OP update to this thread has been gold, thank you, you are my favourite new person of 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

ghosthorse posted:

This thread just keeps delivering. You got the truck cheap but had to put a "few thousand" into it to make it drivable?? But of the few thousand you spent on it you didn't pick up a rad or finish the exhaust or get a rear door. You can buy a brand new aluminum rad for the old ford V8s and 10s for like $200. And exhaust pipes are also super cheap, especially relative to not hotboxing your truck with knockout gas.

I got a new radiator. But an original plastic one. The control fail point is so I dont have to buy another. Tires alone for it were $1450. Then the catalytic converter which was 300. Then I had to replace several control units and the starter myself and a new battery. The starter wouldnt stop starting for a while so I had to replace it and the relay. Then I had to redo all the vacuum lines. The electrical for the running lights were just wrong so that was another 300 to fix. I also had to finds seats and seat belts since someone put the wrong year seats in and didn't bother to bolt them down. Another 300. I also have to redo the suspension as all my bushings are out and the rear shocks are like bent and some day I have to put the sway bar back on when I pull out the front in. Saving up for new brakes and calipers though cause I might as well redo them while I have the front axles out. That's roughly $2000. More if someone else does it.

Had no intention on getting a rear door. Those doors only open and lock from the outside and take up room. Going to gave a screen instead. Saving up for my bedrooms french doors which are $500. Over all I will say this beauty will be 11-12k once finished.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 4, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Rytheric posted:

Had no intention on getting a rear door. Those doors only open and lock from the outside and take up room. Going to gave a screen instead. Saving up for my bedrooms french doors which are $500. Over all I will say this beauty will be 11-12k once finished.

If you rig it right you could make a retractable awning that would also seal up the back like a screen would. That would be a power move.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

I got a new radiator. But an original plastic one. The control fail point is so I dont have to buy another. Tires alone for it were $1450. Then the catalytic converter which was 300. Then I had to replace several control units and the starter myself and a new battery. The starter wouldnt stop starting for a while so I had to replace it and the relay. Then I had to redo all the vacuum lines. The electrical for the running lights were just wrong so that was another 300 to fix. I also had to finds seats and seat belts since someone put the wrong year seats in and didn't bother to bolt them down. Another 300. I also have to redo the suspension as all my bushings are out and the rear shocks are like bent and some day I have to put the sway bar back on when I pull out the front in. Saving up for new brakes and calipers though cause I might as well redo them while I have the front axles out. That's roughly $2000. More if someone else does it.

Makes sense, great idea!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

The Saddest Rhino posted:

every OP update to this thread has been gold, thank you, you are my favourite new person of 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the back door cold fold down like a murphy bed but it would be a murphy porch and fire pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Don't listen to the haters, Ry, put the fire barrel in the back of the truck.

Two-and-a-half feet is the perfect amount of clearance around a campfire, and everyone complaining about CO and smoke hasn't considered that the fire will create its own chimney in the roof, naturally, like god intended.