Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

orangelex44 posted:

Or that ninth leader could be a full wildcard, like Nagash, Neferata, Thanquol or a TW:WH1 faction leader. It might also just be unbalanced between Cathay and Kislev. It's too early to call at this point - most people didn't really think Cathay was going to happen at all, much less be a release faction. I wouldn't assume that the "logical" lineup is what's going to happen at this point, CA is breaking the patterns on this one.

Neferata has some pretty neat ties to Cathay and is on the way to the place in terms of her nation, so that'd be one way they could take it.

Honestly, my money is against it though. The Lahmian's thing is that they're stealth focused and don't really do wars. When they do, it's a bunch of humans backed up by a few vampires pulling the strings, which themselves are backed by the mega badass paper tiger of the literal first vampire getting off of her debauched rear to kick rear end.

Putting them in requires a major overhaul to the diplomacy system and how it works on top of a working espionage system that is varied and replayable. So my money is on an ogre faction being the most likely one assuming it isn't going to go to one of the known factions in the trailer.

The reason being that if they don't just have a tab you can switch over to view Cathay (And this would be the smart way to do it, seeing as how the Chaos Realms would be hard to implement on the current map barring a massive rework. It'd also add all sorts of potential modding abilities, adding in new maps and all. Imagine a proper Skaven underworld. But on the other hand it'd be disappointing in that it would rule out a lot of other content. So maybe not.) then they're going to have to fill that vast empty space between the two nations. And that's going to require filling the area with something. Meaning there's probably going to be at least one LL for a new nation at release centered there.

If it's not that, and they're going all in on the undead factions then it might be Nagash.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So I got this wrong before so I'm re-sharing, because I think it's cool that this Cathay musical stinger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAr7yUlM0Po&t=171s

Is similar to the stinger musical stinger used for Three Kingdoms (couple examples): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXcCEWaDLWU&t=114s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7dmyj6tOk&t=114s

I can't believe I missed that. The trailer that introduces Cathay for real is going to be nuts.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat i'm sad that theres no ogres (just yet) but cathay is awesome!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, honestly I hope they do some rad stuff with Cathay. I'm not really excited about Kislev or Chaos and was really looking forward to Ogres

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There's now a pretty good chance we will see Ind and maybe even the Tiger beastmen in an expansion.

The tiger beastmen are cool because they are way more civilized than typical beastmen. Sort of neutral-good-ish.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tiger beastmen sound dope

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think there is also a a Naga kingdom out there somewhere

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The 6th ed Beasts of Chaos book had tiger-striped regular goat beastmen as the suggested studio scheme for Tzeentch-aligned beastmen and I really want a faction in those colours.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

I think there is also a a Naga kingdom out there somewhere

Excuse me, but their proper name is Snake Men. :goonsay:

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Hinterlands_of_Khuresh

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Things Cathay will probably have: Big stone lions, Lightning Kirins that can fly, Monkey Kings.

terracotta army except they walk around and hit things

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

terracotta army except they walk around and hit things

Cathay will have the constructs of Tomb Kings, the artillery and rockets of the Empire, the cavalry and heavy infantry of the High Elves and a bunch of mythical creatures for monstrous infantry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Liu Bei but he looks like he's described in the novel

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I can't wait to use a Bloodthrister and have it stomp on dudes.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So Khorne doesn't use wizards, but I'm wondering if they'll include Slaughterpriests? Maybe to fill a similar role that Runepriests fill for Dwarves.

Basically I'm just curious how much Chaos stuff they're going to lift from AoS. AoS Chaos stuff fits nicely into Fantasy without looking out-of-place.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can't wait to fight a Bloodthrister and have Grimgor stomp it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dramicus posted:

Cathay will have the constructs of Tomb Kings, the artillery and rockets of the Empire, the cavalry and heavy infantry of the High Elves and a bunch of mythical creatures for monstrous infantry.

High Elf cavalry sucks

*chugs from grail, stomps on peasants*

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

High Elf cavalry sucks

*chugs from grail, stomps on peasants*

We can't let Cathay have everything.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

catling guns

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Give them Lu Bu on a dragon, it might actually match Imriks stats and isn't he smug af as well? The duel of the ages!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Noir89 posted:

Give them Lu Bu on a dragon, it might actually match Imriks stats and isn't he smug af as well? The duel of the ages!

I hope they implement the dynamic duel system from Troy, except when Imrik and not-lu bu duel, they just cross their arms and smirk at each other until one of them cracks.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If you own 3K and TW3 the three kingdoms map gets added to Warhammer 3, please. Total Warhammer 3 Kingdoms

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

liu chong riding a tiger, firing a crossbow that shoots drycha

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The 10th Legendary Lord will be Tretch, but somehow even worse than he is in TW2

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
So Cathay is in and they're just skipping Araby who have an actual army and fully fleshed out lore in the old small scale Warhammer game (forget its name), because China has lots of market potential.

Anyway I don't think either race is that interesting and Chaos Dwarfs would have been much more hype as a base game army. Here's hoping they're a launch DLC faction!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Lol the Cathay emperor is Pu Yi. I thought they put at least a modicum of effort into changing the names slightly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Fools! Cathay has always been on the map. Just to the west of total war three kingdoms.

Combine the games. Be able to take ma chao over to the chaos wastes.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

Lol the Cathay emperor is Pu Yi. I thought they put at least a modicum of effort into changing the names slightly.

The same guy who designs the maps thinks up the names. They asked him if he's sure, he just shrugged his shoulders and went back to sleep.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

V for Vegas posted:

The Holy Roman Empire analogue is called “The Empire” and its led by Karl Franz

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am expected puns on cao cao and lu bu

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Cao Cao but it's the Dynasty Warriors 3 pronunciation.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
What's really important is "FEEL THE POWER OF MY... MAGIIIIIIIIIIIC" is never more appropriate.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

For DLC races I think chaos dwarfs and ogre kingdoms are obviously guaranteed, and Nagash is a big maybe depending on whether they want to try to slap together another undead race or just make a turbo-lord pack centered around whatever his deal is at some point. I guess they could leave him out entirely since they've pointedly said this isn't End Times, but I still think bone daddy will find his way in. Anything beyond that (Kurgan, Ind, Nippon, Snakes, etc) can't be written off at this point given that Cathay's in, but my guess is CA itself doesn't have firm plans beyond those first 2-3 races yet.

One of the reasons they don't have to plan for a shitload of races yet (if ever) is because they still have a bunch of lords to add. Thanquol and Neferata are 100% in, and I think it's extremely unlikely that we get through the whole cycle without a new lord for the Empire and Dwarfs. Probably Greenskins too, though as with Nagash, something that blurs the lines between a lord pack and a new race could happen with hobgoblins. Then obviously there will be more lord packs for game 3 races too. They have a LOT of stuff to play with here, so even if the far fetched stuff doesn't seem as far fetched anymore, I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing much of it any time soon.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Reading on the wiki of the Emperors of Cathay, there was a Mokney King who declared themselves Emperor. More interesting, he made a warlord of Clan Eshin an advisor and started trading with the skaven.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Who does everyone think will be the new lords that will eventually be coming out?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Total Warhammer 3: Cathay Will Grow Larger

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Josef bugman posted:

Who does everyone think will be the new lords that will eventually be coming out?

Kislev is Katarin and Boris almost for sure. Cathay is probably the Dragon Emperor and ????

Chaos is going to be interesting because it'll heavily depend on if they're going with Greater Daemons as their legendary lords or mortal champions.

One of the issues with doing mortal champions is that Sigvald is the pick for Slaanesh but is, you know, already in the game.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Since they’re publishing blog posts bilingually in Chinese too now I just want to call out the amazing translations of the Chaos gods. When you translate names into Chinese you have to either transliterate (sounds the same but the characters don’t mean anything in Chinese) or you try to find characters that look and sound like a native language Chinese name, which implies that the meaning of the characters is consistent with what a native speaker would expect. It’s insanely hard to actually find a translation that works as both a transliteration and a natural-sounding name, especially for fantasy stuff.

IMO they absolutely killed it with the names of the Chaos Gods and Cathay (Kislev is just a transliteration);

Nurgle: 纳垢 Nà gòu : “Offers Filth”

Slaanesh: 色孽 Sè niè “Sex Shame”

Tzeentch: 奸奇 Jiān qí “Bizarre”, also individually 奸 means “evil” and is used in compound words to do with treachery, and 奇 is “strange” and is something like “Thaum-“ in Greek derived languages

Khorne: 恐虐 Kǒng nüè “Dread”, individually 恐 means “fear” and 虐 means torture, oppression or tyranny.

Cathay: 震旦天朝 Zhèn dàn Tiāncháo “Celestial Dynasty of Aurora” - I feel they pulled this by starting with the sound of 契丹 Qìdān (Khitan, an ethnicity that ruled the Liao dynasty just before the mongols wrecked poo poo up and from which we get Khitai, which is the basis of the English word “Cathay”), and then searched around until they had a couple of characters that sounded more traditionally Chinese.

It rocks to see this. Someone earned their loving pay at the translation company.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

Chaos has so many it could add, they're gonna make the Skaven dlc look restrained

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kazzah posted:

Total Warhammer 3: Cathay Will Grow Larger

God I loved Command And Conquer: Generals

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Reading on the wiki of the Emperors of Cathay, there was a Mokney King who declared themselves Emperor. More interesting, he made a warlord of Clan Eshin an advisor and started trading with the skaven.

With our thoughts we make the world ...and the adjacent chaos realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I want two combined maps: One that's a reasonable, tightened-up Mortal Empires map suited for stable, enjoyable games, and another that's literally just all three game's campaign maps haphazardly stitched-together into a hideous, barely-playable thunderdome where every AI turn takes roughly ten minutes to complete.

Also does Cathay have any precedence for insane, Shaw Brothers-esque kung fu nonsense to appear in this game? I want to fight watermelon monsters with amputees wielding flying guillotines.