Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

BK1 is alright, BK2 is the real good poo poo

I've heard but I want to do the first game for the story. or the complete gameplay feel idk lol

Rinkles posted:

does the audio compression bother you?

I haven't noticed any; it's probably there but i'm just giving it a pass because of the era, and it's not like I'm not used to games from that time (i'm the guy that plays crash 1 every year as my nostalgia game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGKq9uwRoI

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

can hear every animal call before they hit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also who prefers tooie to bk lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like I'm more likely to hear that Tooie is a flat-out bad game than that it's better than Kazooie

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

nuts and bolts is the best bk game because making vehicles is fun

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'd say roughly 75% of the time I've been asked to pick a character song for a D&D game, I go with one of the many variants of the Gruntilda's Lair theme.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like I'm more likely to hear that Tooie is a flat-out bad game than that it's better than Kazooie

Really? It feels like the perfect middleground of all the Rare games - big levels with a bigger variety as opposed to the first game which is like 90% swamp/water levels, a couple REALLY good ones like the carnival, way better boss fights, a much better sense of interconnected levels than the Mario64 portals of the first game, not TOO many collectibles like DK64, it doesn't have the horrible quiz game that lasts an hour. Just seems like an improvement in every way over the first game? I know people have turned on DK64 for having too much backtracking and running around but I didn't think people had started to turn on Tooie

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

people havnt turned on tooie, no one liked it at the time either

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
kazooie is so much better than tooie it's disappointing. tooie isn't quite as bloated as dk64 but it's definitely on the same level and everyone talks too dang much

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would like to express some frustration with the Chocobo forest minigame in final fantasy 8, a minigame that I had completely forgotten existed

- the minigame involves slowly walking up and down a single screen
- switching between the tools you need takes three button presses too many
- the puzzles are based entirely on trial and error
- you need to travel between six or seven locations across the world map that are unmarked and stay unmarked when you find them
- to actually complete the sidequest, you need to find a hidden spot in each level that carry some trash items, without the game ever a) telling you these are required to complete the quest and b) telling you that these hidden caches even exist

I am frustrated, because I did all of the bad puzzles but then had to look up that part about the hidden spots, so now I need to travel to all of these locations again and solve all of these puzzles again, and I want, to, not play right now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's definitely no "Chocobo Hot and Cold"

Even as a "VIII Superfan" I never engaged with that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FF9 got the good choco game but ff8 got the good card game, truly it’s a dynamic video game series

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Quick, I need tips on how to win a Civ VI culture victory

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiP-i3Rjp7A

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I spent a huge amount of time yesterday playing Death Stranding. The sense of community in the game is so lovely. I know it's been commented on before but it is a startlingly timely game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
just edit your save file to give you the card the chocobo minigame gives

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I saw there was a Siralim card game and loving lmao it's literally just triple triad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Me: I'm gonna play Gnomoria.

Me, hours later: Okay some of my gnomes died because they decided to stand next to a hole for 4 days while 1 room away from my 400+ bottles of wine and they died of thirst, guess I'm done with this game.

Me, a day after that: I'm gonna play Gnomoria.

Me, hours later again: Okay some of my gnomes died because they decided to mine themselves into a pit they couldn't escape from despite me explicitly giving them orders on how to dig so that they wouldn't fall into a pit like that, I guess I'm done with this game.

Me, now: I'm gonna play Gnomoria.

help I'm trapped in a loop

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

help I'm trapped in a loop

Peel the bandaid off and go straight into Dwarf Fortress

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

just edit your save file to give you the card the chocobo minigame gives

I don't think my Civ multiplayer group would approve

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't even know how to play Dwarf Fortress. Does it even have the option to play a peaceful mode where you aren't attacked by monsters? I was going to wait until the steam release. Dwarf Fortress just seems so daunting in comparison and idk if it has any similar issues that Gnomoria had like gnomes mining themselves onto inescapable floating floors or somehow falling into holes while trying to mine near the holes and dying due to pathfinding glitches and a general lack of control over certain tasks like them deciding to just not bother with foraging for food or harvest wheat or actually placing the furniture they build into the spots I tell them to. Basically idk if the dwarves are smarter than the gnomes or not and I've heard and read about how complex the game is overall.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh the first part of the new Hussie game is out, Psycholonials. It's apparently getting weekly or bi-weekly chapter releases so the final chapter releases on 4/20. The FAQ says the game was made in four months so I have no idea what to expect, probably wont touch it until all nine chapters are out

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh the first part of the new Hussie game is out, Psycholonials. It's apparently getting weekly or bi-weekly chapter releases so the final chapter releases on 4/20. The FAQ says the game was made in four months so I have no idea what to expect, probably wont touch it until all nine chapters are out

It's bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm watching an oot randomizer and my wife asked me what it was so I said Zelda. She asked if Link was Zelda.

Really hosed up there Nintendo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't even know how to play Dwarf Fortress. Does it even have the option to play a peaceful mode where you aren't attacked by monsters?
Not as an explicit option, but if you plop down your fort in a location where there aren't any hostile civs nearby, the only thing you'll ever really have to deal with will be roaming wild animals and whatever's down in your map's caverns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm watching an oot randomizer and my wife asked me what it was so I said Zelda. She asked if Link was Zelda.

Wand of Gamelon fan...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm glad the tournament is in brackets because the 2-pov restreams are so much easier to watch than the 4-pov restreams

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Banjo-Tooie making the levels much larger while shrinking the number of Notes to collect was a boneheaded decision.

The first game is a classic.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
How do you add gang tags? The image is already on the SA server, do I just use [img] tags around the url in the title.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

nuts and bolts is the best bk game because making vehicles is fun

It's bad there's only like three good maps.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LawfulWaffle posted:

How do you add gang tags? The image is already on the SA server, do I just use [img] tags around the url in the title.

yeah just buy a new av with that img as part of the title text

or ask a mod to do it for you

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah just buy a new av with that img as part of the title text

or ask a mod to do it for you

Thanks! It was time for a change.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Quick, I need tips on how to win a Civ VI culture victory

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiP-i3Rjp7A
With the tourism? Look up the techs and wonders that affect Tourism, rush them, get lots of Museums and I would say prioritize Archaeological Museums since you dont need Great People to fill them. Do what you can to get artifacts/great works from other Civs, they can do some pretty stupid trades for them. I haven't played much of the expansion though so I don't know if they changed it.

I really hated how they did Culture victories in the Civ V expansions and Civ VI. All that loving around with museums and theming bonuses and how in the gently caress does that even begin to make sense for like developing social policies. And they just brought back that stupidly complicated system for VI. Who cares!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there's an oral history of Guitar Hero that came out a couple days ago

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/wx8bey/the-oral-history-of-guitar-hero

when i got to the part where they started realizing how big the game was, i noticed there is a goon connection to the story:

quote:

Jason Kendall (artist and animator, Harmonix): I also remember the guy—I remember this one meme, I guess? This image of this big shirtless guy on a bed, with a bunch of guitars, and a snake or something, and our controller right there. You know what I mean? You know the one? Yeah. I remember thinking like, "Holy poo poo." It was just interesting to see Guitar Hero pop up in the cultural lexicon, and I remember thinking this is a big deal

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Banjo-Tooie making the levels much larger while shrinking the number of Notes to collect was a boneheaded decision.

The first game is a classic.

I love Banjo Kazooie, I go back and play it every year or two, it's definitely the best collectathon platformer and probably a top 5 all-time 3d platformer. IMO it beats the pants off of SM64.

Tooie is good but it doesn't feel quite as finely tuned, it's a little overstuffed. I really enjoy the turn that N&B made but it's not the same. I would love to see someone go back and made that remake that Rare was working on before they turned it into N&B.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
N&B was fun to get out of the cars and pretend you're playing a good old BK. Except the levels were all like scaled up 5x so you couldn't get far very often. The car-game stuff was fun too, just felt like the wrong skin for it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i LOVED banjo kazooie, liked tooie quite a bit, and hated nuts & bolts. that game was a goddamn travesty. they put clanker in the floor! in the FLOOR!!! he can't MOVE!!!!!!

unrelated:

god i love free apple

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

With the tourism? Look up the techs and wonders that affect Tourism, rush them, get lots of Museums and I would say prioritize Archaeological Museums since you dont need Great People to fill them. Do what you can to get artifacts/great works from other Civs, they can do some pretty stupid trades for them. I haven't played much of the expansion though so I don't know if they changed it.

I really hated how they did Culture victories in the Civ V expansions and Civ VI. All that loving around with museums and theming bonuses and how in the gently caress does that even begin to make sense for like developing social policies. And they just brought back that stupidly complicated system for VI. Who cares!

Thanks, I have been playing France with the special Catherine aspect (+2 Culture for improved Luxury resources adjacent to a Theater Square or Château. Cities with a Theater Square gain the unique Court Festival project, which grants Culture and Tourism based on the number of Luxury resources France possesses.) so I thought I would focus on a Culture victory. I currently in the lead on Tourism...

slightly ahead of Japan who is way beyond me in tech and only 4% behind me in Tourism even though they haven't tried to develop culture at all...

Japan's video games are taking over the world :negative:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Kerrzhe posted:

god i love free apple

Same. I would have used more of the sprite animation but it took me a while to slice up a gif to the 28 frames that would keep me under 150kb. Free Apple led me to a bunch of Worthikids' work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCagepF_T4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdF1a7Qi9c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

good lord my eyes

e: ok this game is entirely too grating and busy for me to look at

forget this, I'll wait for him to finish it however many decades it'll take

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 4, 2021