Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Pick posted:

They're not. They're just signaling how big their tent is. It's just united by one thing.

I mean, why even hold the vote? And letting MTG off when she’s about to get booted anyways seems like the wrong move. It’s very unlike them, nothing they’re doing right now is going to endear anyone but their base. They’re doubling down on an already bad strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

The implication is that people who do care are focusing on the entirely wrong things in a politician. He's right by the way, worrying about whether or not elected representatives wasted a certain amount of time in a school system designed to give people PTSD and teach them a bunch of stuff they're never going to use for the rest of their life is pretty silly.

As an HS teacher let me just start by saying ":yikes: aroo" and state that I have never endeavored to give my students PTSD, and things like Critical Thinking and functions of government are absolutely things people should use every day

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

i am a moron posted:

Oh, what, now we’re going to pretend like our school systems aren’t secretly PTSD factories? What’s happening to these forums

you could just moderate your position to "the US school system is really lovely and needs a ton of help" and save the argument but i'm betting that won't happen

Also "secretly"? No it's open and that's every school in the world.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i am curious what form the reemergence will take. i am guessing fox or OANN.

Wasn't he supposed to be on Hannity the other night?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

i am a moron posted:

I mean, why even hold the vote? And letting MTG off when she’s about to get booted anyways seems like the wrong move. It’s very unlike them, nothing they’re doing right now is going to endear anyone but their base. They’re doubling down on an already bad strategy.

To the extent that they're lost it's because they're realizing no one wants what they used to sell. They were the "closest option". They're realizing that their base actually did want the dumb gently caress culture war poo poo entirely. If anything, it was a concession to pair that with big business.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Can anyone tell me why McCarthy even allowed a loving vote to oust Liz Cheney from her position if he wanted her to stay anyway?

Is Kevin incapable of even like trying to pretend he has control of his Caucus? His "Both Sides" brain just broke?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

evilweasel posted:

this is absolutely nutty poo poo that i would expect to hear out of jim jordan, except replacing ptsd with something he understood slightly better (like molesting children)

"education is bad, actually" is one hell of a take

American education is actually bad, sorry. There are other places in the world that do it better but America is very very far from being anything close to what anyone should think of as "good" in almost every category.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but this just proved the trumpists dont have the power within the House party to punish his enemies. which means if the GOP really wants to pull the trigger on MTG or trump, they could probably survive it.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1357143904680890370

Yeah, for sure. I think its probably similar to the party the Tea Party had. There were enough of them to cause real problems for the "moderates" and gum up the works, and in turn they were able to influence the moderates farther right and more importantly the moderates were terrified of their voters. But Greene isn't the new head of the party. She's a problem as they all are and the GOP has to decide if catering to them is worse than trying to purge them. But it sure seems like they just tried to punish the moderate and protect the crazy. It just didn't work.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

American education is actually bad, sorry. There are other places in the world that do it better but America is very very far from being anything close to what anyone should think of as "good" in almost every category.

Do you have anything to back that up or are you just posting your hottest takes in here tonight?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Jaxyon posted:

you could just moderate your position to "the US school system is really lovely and needs a ton of help" and save the argument but i'm betting that won't happen

Also "secretly"? No it's open and that's every school in the world.

Someone posted that we design them to give people PTSD. I’m not making any value statements on quality.

TulliusCicero posted:

Can anyone tell me why McCarthy even allowed a loving vote to oust Liz Cheney from her position if he wanted her to stay anyway?

Is Kevin incapable of even like trying to pretend he has control of his Caucus? His "Both Sides" brain just broke?

I’m really not following this either it seems insanely stupid.

Pick posted:

To the extent that they're lost it's because they're realizing no one wants what they used to sell. They were the "closest option". They're realizing that their base actually did want the dumb gently caress culture war poo poo entirely. If anything, it was a concession to pair that with big business.

I’m not 100% sure I follow you - tactically I think these are all bad moves that does nothing to move the needle for them.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

"American education is bad" is not the same as "American education is explicitly designed to destroy you as a person"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Cheney vote was a secret ballot because they're all cowards. I doubt it would have been that big if it meant people get primaried for voting against Trump

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Assuming Trump doesn't fade into irrelevance in the next two years, I bet every Republican who voted to impeach Trump gets primaried in 2022.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Do you have any actual examples or arguments of this, or are you going to without evidence put down the work millions of teachers do in this country every day to try to make the world a little better, and compare it to emotionally traumatizing children?

And if you are going off of test scores :lol: do I have some fun facts for you about who China uses for their test score population

Like yeah the American public education system has problems (like how we fund it, the legacy of systemic racism, standardized tests) but the reason the GOP hates it so much is because it's fairly effective at educating students and helping them avoid indoctrination by the GOP. Now if you want to call out higher education issues or charter/ private homeschool poo poo mounds, be my guest.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

I think "The Republican Party is confused" is a good take at this point. The GOP congressional delegation has more nutters and fewer actual leaders than ever.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pakled posted:

Assuming Trump doesn't fade into irrelevance in the next two years, I bet every Republican who voted to impeach Trump gets primaried in 2022.

Probably. A few were aware that voting to impeach was a suicide pill.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TulliusCicero posted:

McConnell is pretty bad at getting senate Republicans to do things besides tax cuts and judges, but he can mostly keep his caucus in line. McCarthy is minority leader by default because someone called him a "young gun" a decade ago and nobody else is willing to take the job. He can't actually do anything.

I think the house Republican caucus is just ungovernable.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

i am a moron posted:

Someone posted that we design them to give people PTSD. I’m not making any value statements on quality.

I’m really not following this either it seems insanely stupid.

I’m not 100% sure I follow you - tactically I think these are all bad moves that does nothing to move the needle for them.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I think "The Republican Party is confused" is a good take at this point. The GOP congressional delegation has more nutters and fewer actual leaders than ever.

This is just a loving black eye for no reason though. The Trump wing is now pissed at the party, McCarthy looks weak as gently caress and the GOP in shambles, and the Dems get a free delicious talking point for the next cycle that a good portion of the psycho GOP wanted to oust one of their only leaders that openly spoke out against a loving coup incited by the former unpopular President, RIGHT before his impeachment for said coup

just a loving tactical and strategic disaster for absolutely no gain. It's like walking into a rake and deciding you wanted to see if you step on it again, without it hitting you this time.Mitch is probably furious

:getin:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The United States' own intelligence assessment has downgraded it to a "Flawed Democracy"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

James Garfield posted:

I think the house Republican caucus is just ungovernable.

This is the correct answer. The inmates are a plurality of the asylum staff at this point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The United States' own intelligence assessment has downgraded it to a "Flawed Democracy"

smoked by uruguay

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harlock posted:

The Cheney vote was a secret ballot because they're all cowards. I doubt it would have been that big if it meant people get primaried for voting against Trump

Hah, smart move by Cheney. She knew that id it was secret the crazies wouldn't win.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

what did france and italy do

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

The Global Democracy Index is from the The Economist, which is a UK based media company. It's not a US based intelligence assessment as funny as that would be.

Also it's good to see that the qanon group is very loud but not necessarily the majority of the Republican Party...yet.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

i am a moron posted:

It’s very unlike them, nothing they’re doing right now is going to endear anyone but their base. They’re doubling down on an already bad strategy.
Republicans are only a few dozens seats from holding the house and deadlocked in the Senate (secretly in power due to the filibuster) because they play to their base. The GOP has learned the only important lesson of the last ten years, one Democrats willfully refuse to learn: there are no more swing voters. There are only turn-out-your-base elections anymore. And you turn out your base by promising (and delivering) things your base wants and approves of. It just happens that the GOP base, instead of wanting sensible policy reforms that would improve the conditions of the citizenry, want crazy moonbat poo poo.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

TulliusCicero posted:

Do you have any actual examples or arguments of this, or are you going to without evidence put down the work millions of teachers do in this country every day to try to make the world a little better, and compare it to emotionally traumatizing children?

Yeah all those teachers from "inspirational" (read: dystopian) stories where they have to get a second or third job in order to provide the basic needs for educating their classes are not the people who get any real say in the overall structure of the system, it seems kind of absurd to me to even act like they have any real power in the systemic issues of American education at all.

And no obviously test scores are irrelevant and fake, I'm more talking about all those times that everyone you know has woken up in a cold sweat only to realize that they've been done school for years and are not actually failing or forgetting some ridiculous poo poo that they've been told a thousand times will ruin their lives if they don't do it right. It feels like a pretty privileged position that a lot of people are coming from here, I honestly didn't expect to get much pushback for saying that the American education system is a broken harmful nightmare. It doesn't matter how many of the people in it are trying to do a good job if the job they're doing is in a broken institution.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Italy kept their Trump is power for ages.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Take solace in the fact that gaetz are poo poo today.

https://twitter.com/luketball/status/1357072554691805187?s=21

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Decrease in pluralism and increase in dysfunctional/unstable legislatures.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Yeah all those teachers from "inspirational" (read: dystopian) stories where they have to get a second or third job in order to provide the basic needs for educating their classes are not the people who get any real say in the overall structure of the system, it seems kind of absurd to me to even act like they have any real power in the systemic issues of American education at all.

And no obviously test scores are irrelevant and fake, I'm more talking about all those times that everyone you know has woken up in a cold sweat only to realize that they've been done school for years and are not actually failing or forgetting some ridiculous poo poo that they've been told a thousand times will ruin their lives if they don't do it right. It feels like a pretty privileged position that a lot of people are coming from here, I honestly didn't expect to get much pushback for saying that the American education system is a broken harmful nightmare. It doesn't matter how many of the people in it are trying to do a good job if the job they're doing is in a broken institution.

I think your issues with the US educational system are more personal and not something experienced by the wider population.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Shrecknet posted:

Republicans are only a few dozens seats from holding the house and deadlocked in the Senate (secretly in power due to the filibuster) because they play to their base. The GOP has learned the only important lesson of the last ten years, one Democrats willfully refuse to learn: there are no more swing voters. There are only turn-out-your-base elections anymore. And you turn out your base by promising (and delivering) things your base wants and approves of. It just happens that the GOP base, instead of wanting sensible policy reforms that would improve the conditions of the citizenry, want crazy moonbat poo poo.

it bears mention here that the republicans doing this cost them the senate and house and lost them the presidency with an incumbent, and one of the important reasons was formerly Republican voters switching parties.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zeron posted:

The Global Democracy Index is from the The Economist, which is a UK based media company. It's not a US based intelligence assessment as funny as that would be.

Also it's good to see that the qanon group is very loud but not necessarily the majority of the Republican Party...yet.

Freedom House shared the image and they are an unofficial analysis agency of the U.S.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McCarthy is just remarkably not the man for the moment.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

A "cold sweat?"...From K-12 PTSD? Are you okay?

Also, yeah Administration decides some things but most teachers have some creative control and content control, it does vary though. Have you like, ever talked to teachers? Did you just watch the Wall video once and think that's what all schools are?

I entirely agree with you that educators need more say in the system, completely agree. Also, Hollywood and Billionare media execs push the feel-good stories so they won't have to pay teachers better salaries or fix bad conditions

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 4, 2021

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Didn't the IRS have a tool where you could give them your address for the stimulus payment? Trying to help a friend out but I can't find the tool on the website anymore

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The U.S. education system is, like much of the U.S., wildly unequal.

The U.S. ranks ~16th in the world on standardized math and literacy tests. If you removed the bottom 5% performing schools, then the U.S. shoots up to #1.

The U.S. is still #1 by a large amount on college and post-college education.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vorik posted:

Didn't the IRS have a tool where you could give them your address for the stimulus payment? Trying to help a friend out but I can't find the tool on the website anymore

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/notice;jsessionid=abdIUelXhWRvZMnHl5q0_Suq.86

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

James Garfield posted:

it bears mention here that the republicans doing this cost them the senate and house and lost them the presidency with an incumbent, and one of the important reasons was formerly Republican voters switching parties.

They gained seats in the house, gained seats in state legislatures, and were 65,000 votes away from the presidency in an election where 158,000,000 people voted.

I have lived through many predictions of GOP self destruction, and every time they have won future elections by being even worse than they were before.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/1357152699196792834?s=20

Woah, Matt Duss! This is huge for Yemen. Saudis must be sweating.

Biden's put in a ton of Warren people for finance/consumer protection, and a lot of the Bernie people are showing up in labor/state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

TulliusCicero posted:

A "cold sweat?"...From K-12 PTSD? Are you okay?

Also, yeah Administration decides some things but most teachers have some creative control and content control, it does vary though. Have you like, ever talked to teachers? Did you just watch the Wall video once and think that's what all schools are?

I entirely agree with you that educators need more say in the system, completely agree. Also, Hollywood and Billionare media exec's push the feel-good stories so they won't have to pay teachers better salaries or fix bad conditions

I'm talking about post-secondary too. The problems before that come from schools overwhelming unwillingness to do anything about bullying from students or staff, general apathy, letting cops wander the halls and send kids to prison, poo poo like that.

I'm not seeing why you think that I'm saying teachers should be fired and hanged like cops, an institution being bad doesn't always mean that everyone involved is human garbage (like cops).