Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

That Old Tree posted:

Meanwhile:

I likely wouldn't be inclined towards a licensed game of Avatar anyway, but shucks I'm disappointed. Maybe once they finish the game they can get back to that blog post or whatever that was supposed to explain away their corner of the Zak debacle.

It's cool that they got Daniel Kwan, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dexo posted:

This is a black woman who specifically asked for it.

Not some creepy manchild.

It's good that this clarification will air in a disclaimer before each episode.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's cool that they got Daniel Kwan, though.

Yeah, and James Mendez Hodes who is also great. It goes from "a shame, but I usually don't care for media tie-ins anyway" to genuinely bummed.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

moths posted:

My wife instantly recognized Shanna Malcolm and started talking about Shane Dawson drama, so I'm guess she has Some History with stuff like this. Expect the Hot Takes to continue apiece.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

As an old person, I understood exactly none of that.

E: Am I being unclear? A massive tits muppet is embarrassing nerd poo poo in the same way that a hypersexualized anime child is.

The context of who created it or how it's well actually a 700 year old dragon does nothing to de-cringe the aesthetics.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 3, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, and James Mendez Hodes who is also great. It goes from "a shame, but I usually don't care for media tie-ins anyway" to genuinely bummed.

Am I out of the loop wrt Magpie? Masks came out great.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

moths posted:

Forgive my snark, but come on.

I'm afraid it is impossible to tell this character is ran by a black woman.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

moths posted:

As an old person, I understood exactly none of that.
Shane Dawson was a wildly popular youtuber to the point that he segued it into a unsuccessful career as a director and was Canceled last year over, as I understand it, dead baby jokes and saying the n-word on a podcast.

Shanna Malcolm, the person behind the puppet, was also on that podcast and I guess has a history of doing other controversial things. So Malcolm being the one who came up with the character probably won't convince people that the character is actually good.

That's why I said the hot takes would continue, regardless of disclaimer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That drama is certainly going to bring out some of Twitter's finest, I see what you mean.

Dexo posted:

I'm afraid it is impossible to tell this character is ran by a black woman.

So the puppet show isn't puppets?

I guess that makes as much sense as anything.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

moths posted:

So the puppet show isn't puppets?

I guess that makes as much sense as anything.

Nothing makes me feel older than realising hundreds of thousands of people spend hours at a time watching other people play D&D.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

moths posted:

E: Am I being unclear? A massive tits muppet is embarrassing nerd poo poo in the same way that a hypersexualized anime child is.

An adult woman creating an adult character who appears to share her real-life proportions to be her avatar in a game she plays with other adults is literally nothing like anime pedobait.

Like the puppet is not my thing, but like I said, the hang-wringing over it is insane. Let the woman play her silly character for god's sake. It's not going to hurt anyone.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
You must be at least this thicc to play this character.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

DoctorWhat posted:

Am I out of the loop wrt Magpie? Masks came out great.

The short version is that a few years ago Magpie Games' CEO, Mark Diaz Truman, made a blog post talking about how we as a community need to welcome Zak S into our communities to heal the rift between indie games and the Old School Revolution. (Note: There is no actual rift between indie games and the OSR. Also, this forum is one of the main groups arguing for Zak S being an abusive piece of poo poo who constantly starts harassment campaigns, so you hopefully heard about him already.) Truman has made apologies for this post, but they've been very late and very middling apologies. So, Magpie Games makes good games but it always makes the SA tradgames community wince when they put something out because no one really wants to give Mark Diaz Truman money.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 3, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

cptn_dr posted:

Nothing makes me feel older than realising hundreds of thousands of people spend hours at a time watching other people play D&D.

As someone who listens/watches too many actual play podcasts/streams. Most non D&D. The D&D ones I listen to require pretty absurdly talented cast members and improv. Because....yeah.

It's just watching a TV/Radio show or whatever a week. With the constraints on improv being whatever system the stream/podcast is running.

I should plug Friends at the Table btw, Partizan their most recent season loving owned. They played Beam Saber, and Kingdom.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The short version is that a few years ago Magpie Games' CEO, Mark Diaz Truman, made a blog post talking about how we as a community need to welcome Zak S into our communities to heal the rift between indie games and the Old School Revolution. (Note: There is no actual rift between indie games and the OSR. Also, this forum is one of the main groups arguing for Zak S being an abusive piece of poo poo who constantly starts harassment campaigns, so you hopefully heard about him already.) Truman has made apologies for this post, but they've been very late and very middling apologies. So, Magpie Games makes good games but it always makes the SA tradgames community wince when they put something out because no one really wants to give Mark Diaz Truman money.

I am glad I got Masks before I knew about it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CitizenKeen posted:

But it seems like a bad look for the House of Mearls.

This is it in a nutshell.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Excited for the sequel where a guy wants to play a big dicked puppet, and we audit his IRL dong to ensure it's the appropriate length.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mellonbread posted:

Excited for the sequel where a guy wants to play a big dicked puppet, and we audit his IRL dong to ensure it's the appropriate length.
:cumpolice:

I expect the puppet shows will be acting out the exciting vignette parts of the adventure rather than the part where everyone takes a ten minute break because the Doordash guy just arrived.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My god are you still arguing about the boob puppet, the puppet with boobs?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

My god are you still arguing about the boob puppet, the puppet with boobs?

I'm just waiting to find out that the boob puppet did a white power sign or something.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

admanb posted:

I'm just waiting to find out that the boob puppet did a white power sign or something.

I'm still looking for a source but the first thing I heard about this show before even the boob puppet was that a character in the game has a crossbow called Assfuck because it fucks monster asses. So if you're looking for the milkshake duck it's probably rape jokes and not just regular old tits.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

I'm still looking for a source but the first thing I heard about this show before even the boob puppet was that a character in the game has a crossbow called Assfuck because it fucks monster asses. So if you're looking for the milkshake duck it's probably rape jokes and not just regular old tits.
Clearly a middle-schooler wrote the script.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I heard they use critical failures.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Avenue Q D&D show is up on youtube, by the way, if anyone wants to check all this.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8bdFwa4Kvs

Here's the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crsI8gCkWTY

First impression: haha the first thing the DM says is he "modified the rules" so it'd be easier for everyone to follow along with.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Avenue Q D&D show is up on youtube, by the way, if anyone wants to check all this.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8bdFwa4Kvs

Here's the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crsI8gCkWTY

First impression: haha the first thing the DM says is he "modified the rules" so it'd be easier for everyone to follow along with.

Dungeons & Dragons*

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is actually a good move.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah...

I only watched the trailer but that looks like absolute garbage. Not hemming and hawing about some moral arguments about tit-muppets*, but it just looks like an unwatchable trash fire. It could be the most body-positive feminist work in the world and it'd still just be a badly written show.

*It's dumb.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

wait till I tell you about fantasy football! Gamification of watching a game played by others...

and then we'll go one step further, because there's a tv show about a fantasy football league, that people watch

watching people who act out the playing of a gamification of watching people who play a game

now, to complete this: who is with me, we need to write a The League role-playing game, and then get someone to do an Actual Play of it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Toshimo posted:

This is actually a good move.

It's smart given D&D's density of rules that'd get in the way of amusing improv, but I find it funny that these are shows to sell D&D to an audience where they pitch out part of the game itself to make it fun.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

theironjef posted:

Tits are tits, who cares. I want further details on the thing I heard about one character's crossbow being named "Assfuck" because it gets shot up monster asses. That's the kind of humor we can all rally against and get mad at, come on.

This is the correct take. People can make boob and dick jokes and it's fine. They might be funny or they might not be, just like any other joke. They might be sexist too, but they aren't necessarily.

But a crossbow named assfuck is definitely bad.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
yeah it should be named boltplug

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Importantly that original post also announced they'd no longer be working with a writer who told Zak to gently caress off and also condemned several people who'd walked out of the Ennies when Zak had received awards and the "apology" in no way addressed any of the people he threw under the bus.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I said it in the other thread, but will repeat here: I don't think there's anything morally objectionable about the D&D Muppet having huge knockers, though I do find the look of huge tits stapled onto an otherwise traditional Muppet design weirdly off-putting on a personal level. Given the design I'm assuming that was the reaction the creators were going for.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Saguaro PI posted:

Importantly that original post also announced they'd no longer be working with a writer who told Zak to gently caress off and also condemned several people who'd walked out of the Ennies when Zak had received awards and the "apology" in no way addressed any of the people he threw under the bus.

The funniest thing about that was Mark talking about how he admired the writer for his game about standing up for your beliefs, and then he and Magpie repeatedly tried to pressure Rob into apologizing to Zak and being surprised by Rob refusing - even when Magpie Games said they would withdraw their support for his game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's smart given D&D's density of rules that'd get in the way of amusing improv, but I find it funny that these are shows to sell D&D to an audience where they pitch out part of the game itself to make it fun.
"make a good show" and "make it fun" aren't the same thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

"make a good show" and "make it fun" aren't the same thing.

In the most literal sense, no, those are not the same statements. I'm sorry but I'm not clear what your point is though.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 4, 2021

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it seems fine, adequate even. who cares

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Leperflesh posted:

wait till I tell you about fantasy football! Gamification of watching a game played by others...

and then we'll go one step further, because there's a tv show about a fantasy football league, that people watch

watching people who act out the playing of a gamification of watching people who play a game

now, to complete this: who is with me, we need to write a The League role-playing game, and then get someone to do an Actual Play of it
posting in the thread for discussing the ap

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

cptn_dr posted:

Allegedly gary gygax drew literal crowds of people to watch him run games at gen con back in the 80s. like 40 people huddled around a table to watch 6 people play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Allegedly gary gygax drew literal crowds of people to watch him run games at gen con back in the 80s. like 40 people huddled around a table to watch 6 people play.

The 'finals' of the various competitive play D&D games at gen con would sometimes draw (small) crowds as well. This was without mics or anything to make it easier to hear what was going on.

Sometimes it was friends of the people playing, other times it was people who'd been 'knocked out' and wanted to find out what the whole adventure was about (as being terrible D&D competitive gaming (!) quite often the 'what's really going on' would be saved until the final round).