Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dog nougat posted:

drat that was tough :sweatdrop:
it's not hard, but it's an annoyance and there's no reason for a human to do something every time when a computer can do it correctly every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
This is a question about dump trucks.

I am a fan of russian dashcam videos, and if you watch enough of them you'll notice that the 3rd most common incident you see is a dump truck driving down a road or highway with the dump bed fully raised, which then crashes into an overpass or bridge. My question is: how does this happen so often? Do dump trucks not have some kind of alarm that sounds when the bed is raised? Can't the driver see in a mirror that the bed is raised? Doesn't the truck drive completely differently when the giant bed is extended 30 feet in the air?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dokmo posted:

This is a question about dump trucks.

I am a fan of russian dashcam videos, and if you watch enough of them you'll notice that the 3rd most common incident you see is a dump truck driving down a road or highway with the dump bed fully raised, which then crashes into an overpass or bridge. My question is: how does this happen so often? Do dump trucks not have some kind of alarm that sounds when the bed is raised? Can't the driver see in a mirror that the bed is raised? Doesn't the truck drive completely differently when the giant bed is extended 30 feet in the air?

No there is not an alarm, yes you can see it from the mirrors, yes the truck drives differently. It's easiest to assume terminal stupidity and/or driving impaired.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Truck drivers are just bad at knowing how tall their truck is even when it isn't variable.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Here's another truck question. What's the deal with weigh stations? They always seem to be closed, I don't think I've ever seen one open. I also see lots of them nowhere near a state or national border so I don't even get what they're for when they are open. What is their purpose?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alnilam posted:

Here's another truck question. What's the deal with weigh stations? They always seem to be closed, I don't think I've ever seen one open. I also see lots of them nowhere near a state or national border so I don't even get what they're for when they are open. What is their purpose?

The damage done to roads scales with the fourth power of axle weight. A truck that is overweight by half does five times as much damage as one that is at the legal limit.

The limits exist to keep trucks from loving up the roads quite as much as they could if Libertarians were allowed to operate them.

Weigh stations exist periodically on convenient highways because otherwise violators would just route around them.

As for why they’re never open: I think their opening hours tend not to coincide with the hours you tend to want to travel around in a car. The relentless slashing of public budgets has probably also played a role.

Companies can also sometimes pay an extra fee to let their trucks skip the station if they pinky swear not to overload them. This probably works about as well as Boeing’s self certification.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 3, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ah got it, so it's to enforce weight limits or possibly collect weight based fees. That makes a lot more sense than what I thought.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Also weighing while the truck is moving on the highway exists. A lot of old weight stations are now just parking lots for trucks that get caught by scales under the road.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
How do I get a job in the Anime and Manga industry? I suppose I'd have to learn to speak Japanese.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How do paleontologists decide where to dig? From reading my son's book on dinosaurs, I have learned that several species have been discovered in Antarctica. It seems to me that they didn't just randomly stumble upon a bone down there, given that everything is frozen solid and no one really lives there. Presumably there was some reason to dig there, and that presumably extends to other locations. But what are the reasons?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

BonHair posted:

How do paleontologists decide where to dig? From reading my son's book on dinosaurs, I have learned that several species have been discovered in Antarctica. It seems to me that they didn't just randomly stumble upon a bone down there, given that everything is frozen solid and no one really lives there. Presumably there was some reason to dig there, and that presumably extends to other locations. But what are the reasons?

If you're talking about finding a new site, stumbling across something along exposed outcrops of sedimentary rocks. But the nature of how and why big fossils like that get preserved means that you're looking for formations of certain types of rock, and that you'll probably be finding a lot of stuff together.

There's a lot of exposed rock in Antarctica, particularly along the penninsula

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dupersaurus posted:

If you're talking about finding a new site, stumbling across something along exposed outcrops of sedimentary rocks. But the nature of how and why big fossils like that get preserved means that you're looking for formations of certain types of rock, and that you'll probably be finding a lot of stuff together.

There's a lot of exposed rock in Antarctica, particularly along the penninsula

Why don't they use radar and poo poo? Or am I not understanding how fossils work.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The usual spots that paleontologists/ geologists nerd out over are exposed layers of sedimentary rock, so cliffs on coastlines and some canyons or dried up riverbeds.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think the differences of whatever you're scanning for (like density of the material or something) between fossils and the surrounding rocks are too small to pick up on.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

ianae but yeah ground-penetrating radar is good at telling you there's a hard thing in a soft thing, or maybe big holes and cracks in a hard thing, but a hard thing in a slightly different hard thing is... hard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Geology.

You know what kinds of rocks are there, when they were laid down, whether they were under and ocean or high and dry, what part of the globe they were on millions of years ago before they drifted south, and this gives a decent idea of what you might find in them.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Taeke posted:

I think the differences of whatever you're scanning for (like density of the material or something) between fossils and the surrounding rocks are too small to pick up on.

Lies, I saw it in the documentary film Jurassic Park.

No but for real I think they do use sonic techniques sometimes?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I went to boot up a blu ray on my ancient laptop. It’s not connected to the internet because it has no antivirus as I only use it to watch DVDs and Blu Ray’s now. It says that it needs to update the software to play blu rays (it’s never done that before but I haven’t used this device in literal years). Two questions, if I plug in the internet just log enough to update will I be OK, and two I have a PS4 and am not planning on getting next gens as I moved strictly to PC gaming. I use my PS4 as my blu ray player in the den. Is it going to eventually have this problem, too, say, if Sony just stops supporting it?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

EricBauman posted:

I remember reading something a few years ago that was like 'a theory of cleaning'.

It seemed very scientific, and stated, iirc, that there were four aspects that clean something:
- chemical action (enzymes etc);
- friction;
- temperature;
- something else.

I can't find any references to something like this anywhere now.
I think it was on an old website. Not wikipedia or anything slick and modern looking, definitely.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here?

Not what you were thinking of, but Applied Science on youtube has a really cool video on cleaning.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

EricBauman posted:

I remember reading something a few years ago that was like 'a theory of cleaning'.

It seemed very scientific, and stated, iirc, that there were four aspects that clean something:
- chemical action (enzymes etc);
- friction;
- temperature;
- something else.

I can't find any references to something like this anywhere now.
I think it was on an old website. Not wikipedia or anything slick and modern looking, definitely.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here?

Seems like radiation or sound waves could be the 4th option there.

Have you tried replacing the word cleaning with sanitizing or sterilizing in your searches.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I've got appliances with what I assume are lithium ion batteries, one's a vacuum and the other tooth brush. Both batteries died just shy of two years after I bought the devices, both manufacturers are replacing either the battery(vacuum) or the entire device (toothbrush) without any complaint.

Is this just to be expected with rechargable consumer electronics, same with phones? Limited lifespan, expect to replace the battery/device every two years? If so, I'm going to rethink some things.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I've got appliances with what I assume are lithium ion batteries, one's a vacuum and the other tooth brush. Both batteries died just shy of two years after I bought the devices, both manufacturers are replacing either the battery(vacuum) or the entire device (toothbrush) without any complaint.

Is this just to be expected with rechargable consumer electronics, same with phones? Limited lifespan, expect to replace the battery/device every two years? If so, I'm going to rethink some things.

Yes, especially if it's an appliance where people don't much think of the battery's durability (people do tend to think of this in phones and laptops so those tend to have more durable batteries)

Honestly if you don't need the cordlessness in things like tools and vacuums, imo corded is not only cheaper but lasts many many years longer without replacement. Not to mention proprietary batteries like those in power tools etc end up changing design sometimes so you're not even guaranteed to be able to get a replacement at all.

e: not entirely sure but anecdotally I think the batteries that die out sooner are things with higher power applications, like power tools (incl vacuums). There are degradation mechanisms in Li ion batteries that are strongly current dependent, they can be designed around to some extent but it costs money. So i wouldn't be surprised if the high power devices are more likely to lose their Li ion battery life sooner, unless you get top of the line poo poo where they go for the more durable battery pack design.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 4, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I went to boot up a blu ray on my ancient laptop. It’s not connected to the internet because it has no antivirus as I only use it to watch DVDs and Blu Ray’s now. It says that it needs to update the software to play blu rays (it’s never done that before but I haven’t used this device in literal years). Two questions, if I plug in the internet just log enough to update will I be OK, and two I have a PS4 and am not planning on getting next gens as I moved strictly to PC gaming. I use my PS4 as my blu ray player in the den. Is it going to eventually have this problem, too, say, if Sony just stops supporting it?

Just connect your laptop to the internet to update the Blu-ray software. You don’t need an AV beyond windows defender anymore, and you don’t even want one because those programs are vectors for viruses themselves. Beyond windows defender, the next best thing you can do is make sure all your stuff is up to date.

As for whether this will be a problem in the future: Yes, it will be. You may have to spend a bit of money on a new Blu-ray player at some point.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

tuyop posted:

Just connect your laptop to the internet to update the Blu-ray software. You don’t need an AV beyond windows defender anymore, and you don’t even want one because those programs are vectors for viruses themselves. Beyond windows defender, the next best thing you can do is make sure all your stuff is up to date.

As for whether this will be a problem in the future: Yes, it will be. You may have to spend a bit of money on a new Blu-ray player at some point.

Thanks!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you want a vacuum with 1) good batteries 2) that are easily replaced 3) will be sold for a long time and 4) aren’t limited to one device, get one that’s associated with a power tool brand like Makita, Milwaukee, or Ryobi.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
My mother tells me I'm a fool to waste my money that I should very well be laying by for a down payment on a house, and I very well know that I am fool, but nevertheless, I've got a bit under $400 burning in my pocket and am strongly considering buying a county from Sealand. Nothing stopping me from calling myself a count now, of course, she tells me, other than embarrassment factor.

The Grand Duchy of Pomerania and Livonia is also an option, and a cheaper one, too, but they seem even more a scam in my mind. The one territory hasn't been recognized in 300 years and the other is across the continent. They're in no position to sell any land for the simple fact that they have none. What kind of Grand Duchy is that? Sealand at least has held onto Roughs Tower for more than fifty years. Its an actual place that, while I'll never set foot on or likely even seen, I can rest happy knowing exists,

Are their other miconations or quasi-legal semi-historical nations selling counties? Any that are more real than Sealand? Are there any more persuasive arguments against Sealand besides it being a nutso scan to rob me of $400 -- which I'm all ready to concede is true.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Have you considered smoking $400 worth of weed or maybe growing mushrooms (magic or boring) instead? Seems like there are way more fun ways to spend that money.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PersonFromPorlock posted:

Are their other miconations or quasi-legal semi-historical nations selling counties? Any that are more real than Sealand? Are there any more persuasive arguments against Sealand besides it being a nutso scan to rob me of $400 -- which I'm all ready to concede is true.
Tons; no; and there are plenty of people and organisations far more deserving of your money, and plenty that will actually give you something in return for it. Even a few that fit both categories.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What's the deal with musicians like Bowie and Steven Tyler not being held accountable for sleeping around with teenage girls? Were they just all baseless urban legends like the infamous Led Zeppelin shark incident? I seem to recall one woman claiming she had slept with Bowie as an underaged girl, was that ever verified or was it basically clickbait tabloid fodder?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bioshuffle posted:

What's the deal with musicians like Bowie and Steven Tyler not being held accountable for sleeping around with teenage girls? Were they just all baseless urban legends like the infamous Led Zeppelin shark incident? I seem to recall one woman claiming she had slept with Bowie as an underaged girl, was that ever verified or was it basically clickbait tabloid fodder?

Ted Nugent is another notorious one for doing the same.

It has been long accepted in society that the wealthy elite can bang teenagers. See Roy Moore, Jeffrey Epstein, Donald Trump, etc. for more examples.

This is part of why #savethechildren was so loving ridiculous because there is large scale exploitation of minors by the wealthy, but it isn't full of satanic rituals to suck adrenochrome out of kids. It's really just a bunch of wealthy men loving teenagers.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

PersonFromPorlock posted:

My mother tells me I'm a fool to waste my money that I should very well be laying by for a down payment on a house, and I very well know that I am fool, but nevertheless, I've got a bit under $400 burning in my pocket and am strongly considering buying a county from Sealand. Nothing stopping me from calling myself a count now, of course, she tells me, other than embarrassment factor.

The Grand Duchy of Pomerania and Livonia is also an option, and a cheaper one, too, but they seem even more a scam in my mind. The one territory hasn't been recognized in 300 years and the other is across the continent. They're in no position to sell any land for the simple fact that they have none. What kind of Grand Duchy is that? Sealand at least has held onto Roughs Tower for more than fifty years. Its an actual place that, while I'll never set foot on or likely even seen, I can rest happy knowing exists,

I got a lordship of Sealand as a christmas present and I enjoyed it immensely. If purchasing nobility is something your interested in, I'd recommending researching the philosophies of each organization. Sealand is pretty much thumbing their nose at English nobility, because if I can make titles, how legitimate are historical English titles? Someone had to make it all up at some point, why can't I?

My dad has a Glencoe Lairdship which is more of a Scottish heritage thing, but he visited there and liked it so he's got more of a connection to it.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Bioshuffle posted:

The woman who claimed to have lost her virginity to Bowie probably actually lost it being assaulted by Jimmy Page as part of her years-long and verifiable abuse. Her story about Bowie changed multiple times until eventually she was claiming they'd had a decades-long secret affair so well hidden no one ever got a single picture of them together. That doesn't mean Bowie never slept with her while she was underage, but it's fair to look at the evidence and decide it didn't happen. Lori Mattix went through a lot of poo poo as a groupie.

Another woman would later claim Bowie assaulted her by biting her and then announcing he'd given her AIDS. She lost her lawsuit when Bowie tested HIV negative. Bowie later started telling people that he'd never actually been bisexual. This doesn't mean Bowie never actually pretended to be an AIDS vampire, but, well 🤷‍♂️

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Cheese Thief posted:

How do I get a job in the Anime and Manga industry? I suppose I'd have to learn to speak Japanese.

Definitely start with that. If you can get advanced fluency, you might be able to find work doing localization into English (or whatever your native language is) as a way in to the industry; if you’re a visual artist, you also want to be building a strong portfolio.

Have you read any of Henry Thurlow’s interviews? He’s pretty candid about how hard it is to get into anime as a foreigner, and about some of the challenges of the job.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I got an iPhone from my cell service provider. I purchased applecare (the apple extended warranty) from apple. I dropped/killed my phone in the toilet. I switched back to my Android phone. I went to the apple store to get a new phone. I went back to my cell provider to switch back to my apple phone, this is many weeks later, I wasn't in a rush. They now want to charge me $20+ a month to switch back. They say that I should have to come to them for a replacement phone and that I shouldn't have waited so long. Should I have gone to them? I purchased applecare from apple. Should I have not gone to the apple store for a replacement? This seems like an easy way for them to get an extra $20 a month from me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why did they let you switch phones for free the first time? Tell them you broke a second phone.

e: I am unfamiliar with this specific scam, if it wasn’t clear.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Why did they let you switch phones for free the first time? Tell them you broke a second phone.

e: I am unfamiliar with this specific scam, if it wasn’t clear.

Right, why was there no monthly upcharge to switch back to my android? They charged me a one-time $20 to switch back to android which also seemed like bullshit. But they didn't raise the monthly rate.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Following beer chat, question for the Dutch: where does Oranjeboom sit in the scheme of beers? Waaay back in NZ it used to appear randomly, like I remember a local bar scored a cheap palette of mislabelled bottles, the cans used to pop up here and there and I developed a real taste for it. Apparently it took because its brewed there under license now. Then I moved to the UK and I only ever saw it once as a guest beer on tap.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bioshuffle posted:

Were they just all baseless urban legends like the infamous Led Zeppelin shark incident?

No, and no.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/fishing-for-the-truth-the-ever-changing-story-of-led-zeppelin-s-mudshark

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Mattix

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Can the discord admins see if I searched for a word or a user? And can they see or restore deleted messages? For context I'm in a gaming group and some of the members are starting to reveal some CHUDy sentiments and I'd like to clean out any personal identification info before bowing out. I had been in this server for about a year and a half and have a fair amount to shift through. I don't know if this is a stupid idea to attempt, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

colas posted:

I got an iPhone from my cell service provider. I purchased applecare (the apple extended warranty) from apple. I dropped/killed my phone in the toilet. I switched back to my Android phone. I went to the apple store to get a new phone. I went back to my cell provider to switch back to my apple phone, this is many weeks later, I wasn't in a rush. They now want to charge me $20+ a month to switch back. They say that I should have to come to them for a replacement phone and that I shouldn't have waited so long. Should I have gone to them? I purchased applecare from apple. Should I have not gone to the apple store for a replacement? This seems like an easy way for them to get an extra $20 a month from me.

Why are they charging you to swap phones, can't you just take your SIM out of one phone and put it in another? The carrier shouldn't have anything to do with this. Full disclosure I'm not from the USA and is how it would happen here.