Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably not. It’s not illegal to film at disney world.

They might get weird if you were making a movie but idk.

I’m hoping someone escape from tomorrow’s a Star Wars fan film some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Bottom Liner posted:

I still want to do a youtube channel that's just like an hour of high quality shots of different areas of the park with good sound quality and no talking. Like B roll footage you could throw on an extra monitor to just see the parks and hear the sounds and music while working and stuff. Maybe I'll start that when covid is behind us.

Disney+ has a Disney Parks Sunrise Series, which is pretty much what it says on the tin--MK, Epcot, and WK for an hour in the early morning. We've put them on the background while doing chores and stuff.

Also, if you don't mind vintage Epcot, RetroWDW has put up some official B-roll, some from the mid80s and some from 1994:

80s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZWy-l1bz-g

90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8sBYAxAtCg

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I only watch a couple Disney YT people now. My go to guy is 100% upfront about what Disney gives them for free, and is mostly honest about everything.

TBF Tim and Jen do this when they get invited by a park to do something. I think it's more of a legal thing. I kinda dropped off their channel and will really only put them on as background noise because 3/4s of every video is about their kid.

I mainly follow a select few DLR based people, but how many times can they just go to Buena Vista street because one new food item has been released?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1356675886947332097
Defunctland: Correct.
Jenny: Huh?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
see the last page for the reason

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Oh. My dumb rear end glossed over the fact that it was about the tree.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

TheDIS does a "park bench" series exactly for the ambient thing. I wish they were longer tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_58LSK2BwE

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm talking more like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRTVg8HHzUo

But in Disney parks from good views. More cinematic and less gopro.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

JaneError posted:

Disney+ has a Disney Parks Sunrise Series, which is pretty much what it says on the tin--MK, Epcot, and WK for an hour in the early morning. We've put them on the background while doing chores and stuff.

The ambient stuff should really get its own tab on Disney+.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Multiple times in the past I have seen people walk into the park with serious photo/video gear, tripods, huge lenses, extra bodies, a rolling suitcase of extra gear type stuff. Then proceed to set up and film/shoot. No idea if they worked for disney or anything but it seemed like disney didn’t care.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Foxx Nolte has a series of these, but it looks like she hasn't posted them in a while.

Some random examples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHKMYVWBCWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv0jU65jw80

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I always try to cycle in new Disney YouTubers. A few people I started following blew up and now kinda suck. So I try to find new channels without a lot of subscribers or, sigh, clout.

I really wish Remain Seated had blown up. So much promise, and just kinda.... never stuck :[

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
NM, I'm slow

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gotta love food reviews of people who seem to live in the parks
Dis is the best macaroni

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Nintendo embargo is lifted on the entire land. Here's the full queue and Mario Kart POV (ride starts around 16mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDpWMrZSJA

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Make one of those at Test Track speeds and now we're talkin :getin:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

Nintendo embargo is lifted on the entire land. Here's the full queue and Mario Kart POV (ride starts around 16mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDpWMrZSJA

I really want that Pirahna Plant lamp in the queue.

It looks neat. When AR gets better, so will the competitor carts. We're still pretty early into tech like this compared to like, AAs. A+ but I look forward to seeing improvements over the years, too.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgSRN0Tcggg the one without the goggles makes me wish we were better at holograms vs AR. it's such a pretty ride without the AR.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 3, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm impressed by the opacity on the AR screens, but the FOV looked not great. That being said, between the interactive elements and the gap between experiencing and filming AR, I think it's functionally impossible to tell how this actually rides from a Youtube video.

I think Hazo's right though; the vehicles seem to be moving pretty slow, at least in comparison to the hyper kinetic animated characters and the ostensible "race" that's happening. It occurs to me that Luigi's Mansion would've been a much stronger choice for an attraction with the exact same tech, but that has a tiny fraction of the recognition, especially for a headlining attraction.

EDIT: queue looks great, but at this point that's not a surprise, haha.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 3, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hKyFD5pZ4E I want more casual stuff like that in general at theme parks. that looks like tons of fun.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
call me a fanboy but nothing disney has done has gotten near the level of detail of anything universal has done when they try

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nah i'll just call you dumb

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

call me a fanboy but nothing disney has done has gotten near the level of detail of anything universal has done when they try

I see you’ve never been to DisneySea

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

drat I really want to take a Universal cruise now. :)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Universal has it's ups and downs but this is clearly something like New Fantasyland (west) in the 80s where everything was about atmosphere. And over the past 20 years Disney has laid off so many Imagineers and they've started their own design and consulting firms so it's no surprise that Universal it's best looks a lot like Disney anymore.

As somebody who hasn't been to a theme park in over a decade I'd rather ride Flight of Passage than these rides if I had to choose just one, but there's certainly a timeless charm about them. Although the shutdown of Sorcerers at Magic Kingdom recently kind of makes me recoil at the number of electronic interactive elements I've seen just by watching two videos. One of the things that I think these outside firms do is go to the parks proposing some sort of interactive distraction that doesn't explain itself too forwardly and gradually people ignore it and eventually it breaks. See also the Mansion queue circa 2010s.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Still blows my mind your terrible poo poo posting gets by still.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m more of a universal fan because of horror nights but Pandora and Galaxy’s Edge are way more immersive than Harry Potter world.

Ride was too.

If there wasn’t any exit signs in Smugglers Run I’d believe I was on the falcon.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is there like a secret Universal? That internet big boys know about that looks better?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/UniNewsToday/status/1356998016876507136/photo/1

the Toad meet n greet is the best part of Nintendoland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFIQwK1wn4&t=234s

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The queue for Mario Kart looks very nice. There's a video on YouTube where they filmed the ride without the AR glasses on and it looks pretty decent for what it is.

But... this is yet another instance where Universal missed the mark, badly, on choosing the right ride system and experience to capture the IP. They did it with Fast & Furious: Supercharged, where you ride a slow moving bus and speed is only simulated. They did it with Gringotts, where you're promised a wild ride on the cart system we all saw in the films, and then instead used those carts to just shuffle you from screen to screen, where you park and watch action happen.

This ride system and AR setup very clearly should have been used for something like, say, a Luigi's Mansion dark ride, or even just a Mario dark ride where you shoot fireballs at enemies. Even then, the AR wasn't needed, and even though we shouldn't judge how it looks through a camera, I'm leaning toward it probably doesn't look so great in person either. Mario Kart needed to be a physically fast ride. It needed to be similar to Radiator Springs Racers, where we experience the speed and frenzy of Mario Kart fold out, physically, around us. It definitely should not have been a slow moving shooter ride. It's painfully obvious how slow you're moving even though they try to simulate speed here and there with projection mapping.

Because of the major disconnect between the IP and the ride system, I predict this ride will be poorly received even if it actually is fun in person for those who know what to expect.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know, there's a world of difference between Gringotts and F&F. This doesn't look nearly as thrill ride-lite as Gringotts, but also has the AR layer. Not sure what to think of it from videos.

I'm 100% on board for your Luigi's Mansion AR dark ride though. Right into my veins.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

In terms of theming and immersion, Universal has exceeded Disney exactly twice: Hogsmeade, followed by Diagon Alley. Disney has since responded with Galaxy's Edge, which, while it has some flaws, the scope and scale of it just dwarfs Diagon Alley.

I do prefer Disney, but I'm not a "poo poo on everything Universal does" person. But more often than not, Universal is content with producing something "good enough". They open a new area. It'll provide some nice photo ops, it'll probably have a giant statue here and there, it might have a good ride, but it'll have obvious cut corners, visible backstage and infrastructure, and it'll be visually loud and cluttered.

Universal's strength is innovative ride systems and creating bombastic, chaotic ride experiences. Sometimes they're great, like Spider-Man or Hagrid's. Sometimes they're total duds that make you question how they got greenlit, like this appears to be.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know, there's a world of difference between Gringotts and F&F. This doesn't look nearly as thrill ride-lite as Gringotts, but also has the AR layer. Not sure what to think of it from videos.

True. Unlike F&F, Gringotts is a good ride, but I kind of hated it after my first ride because I was expecting something much more wild and thrilling. I appreciated it more after additional rides.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I do not understand people who think Gringotts is the best ride at Universal. I feel like I see it at the top of lists all the time and... whhyyyyy? Its the 3rd best Harry Potter ride alone.

Also its kinda wild that Diagon Alley has exactly 1 ride and its not even the best HP ride.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DA is a dope shopping district.

Also the best time to go is during Horror nights. It’s such a chill spot to drink .

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The queue for Mario Kart looks very nice. There's a video on YouTube where they filmed the ride without the AR glasses on and it looks pretty decent for what it is.

But... this is yet another instance where Universal missed the mark, badly, on choosing the right ride system and experience to capture the IP. They did it with Fast & Furious: Supercharged, where you ride a slow moving bus and speed is only simulated. They did it with Gringotts, where you're promised a wild ride on the cart system we all saw in the films, and then instead used those carts to just shuffle you from screen to screen, where you park and watch action happen.

This ride system and AR setup very clearly should have been used for something like, say, a Luigi's Mansion dark ride, or even just a Mario dark ride where you shoot fireballs at enemies. Even then, the AR wasn't needed, and even though we shouldn't judge how it looks through a camera, I'm leaning toward it probably doesn't look so great in person either. Mario Kart needed to be a physically fast ride. It needed to be similar to Radiator Springs Racers, where we experience the speed and frenzy of Mario Kart fold out, physically, around us. It definitely should not have been a slow moving shooter ride. It's painfully obvious how slow you're moving even though they try to simulate speed here and there with projection mapping.

Because of the major disconnect between the IP and the ride system, I predict this ride will be poorly received even if it actually is fun in person for those who know what to expect.

While I agree with all of this (I posted that video you're referencing up above for folks who wanna see it), I'm still gonna cry when I'm on rainbow road because it's been my favorite track forever and I assure you, I know how stupid that is. But all my feels.

CelticPredator posted:

DA is a dope shopping district.

Also the best time to go is during Horror nights. It’s such a chill spot to drink .

yeah but if I'm in a theme park I'm not there for a fuckin' shopping district, either, Disney Springs. :colbert:

E: especially the intensely white-bread-coded stuff that's there. like drat, if you gave me World of Disney spread throughout DS with a bunch of cool eateries and neat experiences like the boatcars, sure. Whatever. I'd go people-watch. I absolutely don't need a 2 (3?) story building revolving around Coke products or whatever the hell those scent stores are or to pay $900 for a kitschy NBC apron or whatever.

but then again, I like T-Rex so my opinion is tragic per usual.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 4, 2021

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm not sure how it could be a fast ride with all that detail that you would just miss without being outdoors and takin0g up incredible amounts of room. (Doubt the AR Works well in sunlight). The physical stuff in the land and ride looks pretty spot on. Yoshi I'm mixed on, but Universal severely lacks those type of chill rides, so I'm ok with it.

Being Nintendo, it was probably them who pushed the idea.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 4, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I absolutely don't need a 2 (3?) story building revolving around Coke products or whatever the hell those scent stores are or to pay $900 for a kitschy NBC apron or whatever.

It isn't worth a trip to Disney Springs just for this, but for what its worth, the photo op with the polar bear is delightful. That bear is so much fun to watch move.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
As much as I enjoy the theming of Diagon Alley, I've always been bothered by the dragon on top of Gringotts. It looks cool in photos and concept art, but it makes no narrative sense (if there's a dragon on the loose, people should be running terrified through the streets). I feel like that's a pretty good example of something Disney wouldn't do (but feel free to provide examples of similar immersion-breaking stuff at Disney).

Similarly, I don't like how the Hogwarts Express was just a random assortment of characters/scenes from the movies thrown together for no reason. I guess that's Universal's "ride the movies" thing, but it feels :effort:.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I disagree on Hogwarts Express. I think it's a really cool use of backstage space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: especially the intensely white-bread-coded stuff that's there. like drat, if you gave me World of Disney spread throughout DS with a bunch of cool eateries and neat experiences like the boatcars, sure. Whatever. I'd go people-watch. I absolutely don't need a 2 (3?) story building revolving around Coke products or whatever the hell those scent stores are or to pay $900 for a kitschy NBC apron or whatever.

the Coca Cola Store is basically there to balance out all the other high end stores they added.

Atricks posted:

I'm not sure how it could be a fast ride with all that detail that you would just miss without being outdoors and taking up incredible amounts of room. (Doubt the AR Works well in sunlight).

The answer is, the Mario Kart ride didn't need AR at all. If they really wanted to push this AR tech, it should have been used for something like the Luigi's Mansion or "use a fire flower to shoot at enemies" dark ride concepts I mentioned above, while making Mario Kart a separate ride. The level of detail can absolutely be done - see Radiator Springs Racers. Granted, yes, RSR does take up a ton of space that Universal probably didn't have. But they'll have it in Orlando.

Context posted:

As much as I enjoy the theming of Diagon Alley, I've always been bothered by the dragon on top of Gringotts. It looks cool in photos and concept art, but it makes no narrative sense (if there's a dragon on the loose, people should be running terrified through the streets). I feel like that's a pretty good example of something Disney wouldn't do (but feel free to provide examples of similar immersion-breaking stuff at Disney).

Similarly, I don't like how the Hogwarts Express was just a random assortment of characters/scenes from the movies thrown together for no reason. I guess that's Universal's "ride the movies" thing, but it feels :effort:.

The dragon bothers me too. Yes, it's a detail that 90% of guests aren't going to think about, but it is one of the many things that demonstrate how Universal often just doesn't quite "get it". Universal says "most guests won't notice or care, so we don't need to address it." Disney says "some guests might notice this, so we must address it." Universal also loves their giant statues and/or cutouts as focal points/photo ops, almost all of which are also at the expensive of immersion.

I also disagree on Hogwarts Express though. It's a little forced feeling, how it's just a series of character encounters that conveniently end before the next one can begin, but I do applaud Universal for showing some restraint here and just keeping it a chill ride on the train and not trying to introduce some sort of "something has gone wrong" element.