Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nuebot posted:

The easy answer is this. Because people are dumb enough to literally just make the things look nearly identical and then go "What, me? I didn't copy your idea. I drew it first!" Like even with that dude's bug-eyed comic. I distinctly remember a story similar in basic premise when I was a kid where someone planted one of their teeth and it grew into a new person but oh no, who was the real person? And long story short: that's why the tooth fairy exists, so stupid kids don't go planting their teeth and growing more kids. It's not like, a super original idea or anything.

I'd say the pale naked person covered in dirt is the fake one. But I can see how this may not always work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nuebot posted:

The easy answer is this. Because people are dumb enough to literally just make the things look nearly identical and then go "What, me? I didn't copy your idea. I drew it first!" Like even with that dude's bug-eyed comic. I distinctly remember a story similar in basic premise when I was a kid where someone planted one of their teeth and it grew into a new person but oh no, who was the real person? And long story short: that's why the tooth fairy exists, so stupid kids don't go planting their teeth and growing more kids. It's not like, a super original idea or anything.

what

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in re accidental plagiarism

Nedroid did this:

They just wanted to say 'Good job'

but xkcd had already done this:

2017 called, but I couldn't hear what they were saying over all the screams.

so Nedroid did this:

xkcd fans please stop emailing me

which I think is a good solution

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know I said the New Year's one was my favorite in retrospect, but this is also my favorite

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Even if Nedroid read that XKCD comic and immediately decided to copy it, the Nedroid version is a million times better.

Also, you can't copyright jokes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Even if Nedroid read that XKCD comic and immediately decided to copy it, the Nedroid version is a million times better.

even posted as an example of what insane xkcd fans are like it's still painful to read.

xkcd "peaked" pretty early and is only memorable for that longform comic about the guy who befriends the girl and is there for here nonstop until eventually she just succumbs to be with him.

Not that the comic is great, its really not, but that it ignited a firestorm of posts on web forums as a ton of people did not understand the point of the comic in the slightest and people arguing furiously back and forth on xkcd forums that the other people didn't understand that
- the main guy is right and it sucks she doesn't love him back
- the main guy is right but she's a bitch who just wants cool guys
- the main guy is right and she doesn't deserve someone as good as him

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Skwirl posted:

Robin Williams??? I thought you were dead!

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've never told this to anyone but the xkcd comic about free speech (aka they're showing you the door [picture of door]) was stolen from a comic I made. Now that all these cases are being busted open, maybe there's a chance for me to set things right...

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Didn't people turn up some evidence that "Megan" (the girl that the XKCD guy's self-insert pines over) is based on a real person, and is the real-life wife of one of his friends?

I'm not totally convinced he realizes which side of that comics argument he's on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

I like to think this is their dayjob but the comoc just never bothers to show it, like Seinfeld's career.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Paladinus posted:

I'll come clean. I've stolen the joke I made 23 pages ago from a different post 87 pages ago.

Just press the button marked "plagiarize" like the rest of us

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Just press the button marked "plagiarize" like the rest of us

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

These comics feel way too real and I understand why the author wanted them gone from the internet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

pentyne posted:

even posted as an example of what insane xkcd fans are like it's still painful to read.

xkcd "peaked" pretty early and is only memorable for that longform comic about the guy who befriends the girl and is there for here nonstop until eventually she just succumbs to be with him.

Not that the comic is great, its really not, but that it ignited a firestorm of posts on web forums as a ton of people did not understand the point of the comic in the slightest and people arguing furiously back and forth on xkcd forums that the other people didn't understand that

I mean, I only vaguely know the Tale of Megan through cultural osmosis, but I'm not convinced that those guys are wrong about that comic's intent.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Empty Sandwich posted:

in re accidental plagiarism

Nedroid did this:

They just wanted to say 'Good job'

but xkcd had already done this:

2017 called, but I couldn't hear what they were saying over all the screams.

so Nedroid did this:

which I think is a good solution

yeah like the xfdasf dweeb invented it

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

lol that xkcd has to tell us what's on the shirt

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, I only vaguely know the Tale of Megan through cultural osmosis, but I'm not convinced that those guys are wrong about that comic's intent.

If you can read that comic and not come to the conclusion that the guy in the comic is a complete weirdo and that the punchline is that he is a complete weirdo and we should all laugh at him - well, congratulations, you're the guy in the comic.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1349642963299696640

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

PYF Tweets thread is here dude:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879285

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mr. Sunshine posted:

If you can read that comic and not come to the conclusion that the guy in the comic is a complete weirdo and that the punchline is that he is a complete weirdo and we should all laugh at him - well, congratulations, you're the guy in the comic.

The obvious, sane reading is not always the same as the intended reading. I'm not convinced that the xkcd guy isn't the guy in the comic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I find it hard to believe "eventually you will give up on being happy and settle for me" is intended as a good thing to think.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tenebrais posted:

I find it hard to believe "eventually you will give up on being happy and settle for me" is intended as a good thing to think.

Some people are aware enough of their own inadequacy but not aware enough to change it and so embrace stuff like this so hard that it hurts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

pentyne posted:

Xkcd is loving terrible when it tries to be an actual comic, plus the strips it's known for are mostly more like infographics anyway so there's no point in the pretense of being a comic in the first place.

Im not a fan but I can understand why people keep linking to the infographicy ones like the passphrase strength one because it's faster then explaining the same thing to people each time.

I can't understand why anyone would read the ones that try to have characters or jokes though.

mystes has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Feb 4, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Reginald's sincere panic and implication time-travel is actually involved is way funnier than "Le Epic Sarcasm" of that engineer humour bullshit.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I've never quite understood the intensity of goon hate for XKCD. Not enjoying it, sure, it's not my favorite either, but some people just go above and beyond, whipping themselves into a weird public tantrum whenever it comes up. I guess it's a performative thing? XKCD's fanbase is "cringe", as the kids these days say, and some people just need to make sure nobody accidentally thinks they like it. I don't know, it's weird.

Anyway the dating comic is very obviously framing the passive aggressive guy as wrong and his hypothetical relationship after wearing her down as bad. Trying to argue otherwise isn't a sick burn on the XKCD guy, it just makes you look dumb.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Snake Maze posted:

I've never quite understood the intensity of goon hate for XKCD. Not enjoying it, sure, it's not my favorite either, but some people just go above and beyond, whipping themselves into a weird public tantrum whenever it comes up. I guess it's a performative thing? XKCD's fanbase is "cringe", as the kids these days say, and some people just need to make sure nobody accidentally thinks they like it. I don't know, it's weird.

Anyway the dating comic is very obviously framing the passive aggressive guy as wrong and his hypothetical relationship after wearing her down as bad. Trying to argue otherwise isn't a sick burn on the XKCD guy, it just makes you look dumb.

Honestly, I just find a lot of STEM humour is just a Shibboleth for smugly identifying other nerds and it isnt any smarter than Family Guy lazily relying on people recognising things. It get mistaken for smart humour because you need to be proficient in the field to recognise it, but it's rarely clever beyond "yeah, I recognise that programming language!" or whatever.

I find the relationship stuff cringeworthy, but par for the course for the kind of person who gets excited by a pie chart.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

screaming "but he doesn't respect you" has been the mantra of angry male friends since the dawn of time who are mad their female friend hasn't come to her senses and fallen for them yet.

the rest of it, the wistful regrets, the small pause before saying "i love you" back, the implication the whole thing was the result of drinking and a mistake she's too afraid to walk back, etc. just hammers the point home.

It's not an exaggeration to say a massive chunk of xkcd's fan-base sided with the guy, I'm pretty sure the consensus on the xkcd forums at the time was "why is he making fun of us? this is a normal thing to do"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Honestly, I just find a lot of STEM humour is just a Shibboleth for smugly identifying other nerds and it isnt any smarter than Family Guy lazily relying on people recognising things. It get mistaken for smart humour because you need to be proficient in the field to recognise it, but it's rarely clever beyond "yeah, I recognise that programming language!" or whatever.

I find the relationship stuff cringeworthy, but par for the course for the kind of person who gets excited by a pie chart.

Yeah, it's mostly just not that well done. If you compare their version of the joke to the Nedroid one it's way wordier, more awkwardly delivered, specifically dated, and meaner for no reason.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

womb with a view posted:

wordier, more awkwardly delivered, specifically dated, and meaner for no reason

So it was an xkcd comic is what you're telling me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

womb with a view posted:

Yeah, it's mostly just not that well done. If you compare their version of the joke to the Nedroid one it's way wordier, more awkwardly delivered, specifically dated, and meaner for no reason.

Also the Nedroid one has actual art, which means the joke that Reginald is dressed like it's the 90s doesn't have to be awkwardly explained by describing a shirt, the author can just trust that the audience gets that part of the joke with no words required.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Snake Maze posted:

Probably that Nickelback thing where the creator isn't that great but is much more widely-known and successful than better creators, so gets more flak than unknown and unsuccessful creators who are simply bad.

The mismatch between quality and success, basically.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Snake Maze posted:

Its the Rick and Morty of comics.

People read it and reference it and think that shows how smart they are.

Also everything else people have said.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Plus, I’d Be Able to Float by Holding My Breath

I Also Bought a Dog Collar. Well, a Dog Harness Actually… but Close Enough, Right?

My Initiation was to Cook a Turkey

Lazy Cat

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Garrand posted:

God this whole thing is a hilarious clusterfuck of drama.

Just to fill in people and so everyone has a complete picture.

Adam Ellis makes this tweet, about some indie film makers who took his comic shot for shot and turned it into a movie without ever asking for his permission. The film makers literally admitted to it in interviews saying they were 'inspired' by a webcomic but never actually crediting Ellis. The movie has basically been pulled from everywhere at this point, but this is only the beginning.
https://twitter.com/moby_dickhead/status/1356347686497218561

Prolific Pen Comics makes this tweet accusing Ellis of plagiarizing a comic of his
https://twitter.com/ProPenComics/status/1356382841517445121

Ellis makes this now deleted tweet saying that it was based on an old comic from 2012

The problem is this comic exists nowhere and archive.org shows only 1 comic on his site from that date and it's something entirely different. Also that comic isn't really in the style he was using at the time. The only explanation is that Ellis inexplicably drew a fake comic and tried to fake a source as an old comic of his.

The thing is, this isn't the first time this has even come up. This tweet is from 2019, where where ProPen mentions Ellis apologizing him and trying to put it behind them.
https://twitter.com/ProPenComics/status/1083063360344608768
Since then, every time Ellis complains about any kind of plagiarism ProPenComics gets in the comments making remarks like this:
https://twitter.com/ProPenComics/status/1106763452779884546

And of course now people are replying to ProPen comics with this comic

That he plagiarised with this comic

Good times

I'm not a big fan of any of these comics but there's a big difference between super easy jokes that will occur to any cartoonist with a regular schedule like "kissing a dog" and "being a language pedant" and a shot for shot remake of a really specific weird situation.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ccs posted:

I'm not a big fan of any of these comics but there's a big difference between super easy jokes that will occur to any cartoonist with a regular schedule like "kissing a dog" and "being a language pedant" and a shot for shot remake of a really specific weird situation.

Yeah the funny thing is if Adam had just said that people come up with the same joke independently all the time he would have gotten away with it. You can only tell he's guilty because he tried to cover his tracks after someone called him out.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Heathcliff is like if you somehow translated Everywhere at the End of Time into a visual medium