Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm just gonna take a wild guess: tory donors or family members own coal mines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm just gonna take a wild guess: tory donors or family members own coal mines

That wouldn't make much sense. The new mine would compete with them and lower their profits.

My guess is:

1. Boris wants to do a lot of photo ops with miners

2. There are lots of ways to use a coal mine to move public money into private hands

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tory donors want to return to the good old days of sitting around being bone bastard idle, except for the half hour a day they get their coachman to ride them out to their mines to whip some poor people and tell them they should be grateful for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some 90 year old arch tory heard about Qanon and decided that we couldn't allow a tunnels full of children gap.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gort posted:

That wouldn't make much sense. The new mine would compete with them and lower their profits.

My guess is:

1. Boris wants to do a lot of photo ops with miners

2. There are lots of ways to use a coal mine to move public money into private hands

oh right sorry, i change that to "they can give their family and donors a mine"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Some 90 year old arch tory heard about Qanon and decided that we couldn't allow a tunnels full of children gap.

That's what the service tunnel of the Channel Tunnel is for

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
UK banks given six months to prepare for negative interest rates

quote:

The Bank of England took a step closer to introducing negative interest rates for the first time on Thursday, after it gave lenders six months to prepare for such a move.

Threadneedle Street’s monetary policy committee (MPC) voted unanimously to keep the official interest rate at historically low levels while it agreed set the deadline for banks to prepare themselves after policymakers said they were ready to make negative lending rates part of their toolkit.

According to the minutes of the MPC meeting, officials were split over asking lenders to put in place the measures needed to facilitate negative rates on loans and mortgages, with some fearing that it would signal to investors that the central bank planned to move ahead in the next few months.

But the committee agreed that to include a cut in interest rates to below zero in the raft of measures available to policymakers, lenders would need to put in place the technical requirements allowing them to implement it at short notice.
There are fears that negative lending rates, which are expected to lower borrowing costs for households and businesses, would force high street banks and building societies to offer negative savings rates.

[...]

GDP is expected to fall by about 4% in 2021 Q1, in contrast to expectations of a rise in the November report.

However, the Bank expects growth to bounce back as the NHS vaccine programme takes effect and schools, universities and most businesses return to more normal levels of activity.

What a shame covid has tarnished our wonderful brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's what the service tunnel of the Channel Tunnel is for
Those children are owned by the EU adrenochrome conspiracy now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
For someone like me who is clueless about interest and whatnot, what does Negative Interest Rates mean for a regular person with almost no savings like me?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/jon_trickett/status/1357249346576777217?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably an end to free personal current accounts in the near future.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean looking at what is quoted it presumably means that if you want to borrow they will pay you to borrow money off them, and if you want to save they will charge you for doing it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

UK banks given six months to prepare for negative interest rates

What a shame covid has tarnished our wonderful brexit

They're really just saying please make sure your computers won't blow up if this did happen, rather than saying it's likely.

Mostly because when the idea was initially floated as a possibility half the banks said it would make their computers blow up.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I mean looking at what is quoted it presumably means that if you want to borrow they will pay you to borrow money off them, and if you want to save they will charge you for doing it.

Yes, except for the first part

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is already the case for some treasury gilts, and will presumably be the case for 'safe' corporate credit (banks), but there will never be negative interest loans for ordinary folks.

You're more likely to see a negative income tax or UBI to stimulate spending than that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Got an extremely specific question of the exact kind this forum loves to immediately produce complete answers to. It comes by way of... I guess a friend's coworker's friend or some poo poo? Someone wants to know this real bad, and is asking their friends, and it's catching on.

Here's the question. In Wormwood Scrubs park in west London is an area called Martin Bell's Wood; who is Martin Bell?

There's a circumstantially obvious candidate in Martin Bell OBE, who among other things had a distinguished career as a war/foreign affairs correspondent with BBC News, who at the time would have been headquarted in Television Centre, which is near-ish to Wormwood Scrubs. But that's pretty tenuous. There's no proof of him being the namesake in question, or indeed any reference at all to where the name of that wood came from. All anyone's found is a couple of birdwatching websites that say it was formerly called Southern Paddock, with no detail as to when or why it was changed.

(Bell himself had an interesting life following war reporting; he ran as an independent MP for Tatton, a safe Tory seat, in 1997, and somehow managed to convince Alistair Campbell to stand down Labour's candidate and get the Lib Dems to stand down theirs, leading to him winning in a landslide, after which he did not run in 2002 and was replaced with George Osborne, so, uh, whoops. Also while in office he notably voted with the Tories against the repeal of Section 28, so I guess he's actually trash.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

This is already the case for some treasury gilts, and will presumably be the case for 'safe' corporate credit (banks), but there will never be negative interest loans for ordinary folks.

You're more likely to see a negative income tax or UBI to stimulate spending than that.

Yeah probably should have specified that they will pay some people to borrow off them, but not normal people because lol everyone would just ask to borrow a squillion pounds and still somehow fail to pay it back.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The last rate cut mostly caused mortgage rates to go up, because banks were already at the floor of where they can make a profit on a mortgage so if they were going to ignore the base rate they might as well ignore it by more.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's an area of the woods where Martin Clunes used to show people his bell-end

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fedule posted:

Got an extremely specific question of the exact kind this forum loves to immediately produce complete answers to. It comes by way of... I guess a friend's coworker's friend or some poo poo? Someone wants to know this real bad, and is asking their friends, and it's catching on.

Here's the question. In Wormwood Scrubs park in west London is an area called Martin Bell's Wood; who is Martin Bell?

There's a circumstantially obvious candidate in Martin Bell OBE, who among other things had a distinguished career as a war/foreign affairs correspondent with BBC News, who at the time would have been headquarted in Television Centre, which is near-ish to Wormwood Scrubs. But that's pretty tenuous. There's no proof of him being the namesake in question, or indeed any reference at all to where the name of that wood came from. All anyone's found is a couple of birdwatching websites that say it was formerly called Southern Paddock, with no detail as to when or why it was changed.

(Bell himself had an interesting life following war reporting; he ran as an independent MP for Tatton, a safe Tory seat, in 1997, and somehow managed to convince Alistair Campbell to stand down Labour's candidate and get the Lib Dems to stand down theirs, leading to him winning in a landslide, after which he did not run in 2002 and was replaced with George Osborne, so, uh, whoops. Also while in office he notably voted with the Tories against the repeal of Section 28, so I guess he's actually trash.)

I found this! (I am very bored at work.)

https://www.change.org/p/london-mayor-s-office-save-our-scrubs/u/17828051

Some petition or other posted:

We would like to see a route that enters the Scrubs closer to the Scrubs Lane car park, that then runs on the south side of what is locally known as "Martin Bell's Wood" (Martin Bell was often found wandering through the copse to the North of Woodman's Mews and to the south of the open space at the south east corner Scrubs) before rejoining the existing cycle path at the pony centre.

But that's the best I could Google.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's an area of the woods where Martin Clunes used to show people his bell-end

That's not Martin Bell's Wood, that's Martin's Wood's Bell

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1357313232676003846?s=19

Wario Corbyn off his shits again.

https://twitter.com/lewiscostello/status/1357332915743514625?s=19

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Off topic, is anyone aware of a tool that can recover and permanently delete old files? Basically I'm sorting through a stack of old laptops so I can take them to the food bank in case anyone needs them for school or w/e, I don't want anyone snooping my files though & not all of them have a secure option in the factory restore thingy. I can find a bunch of tools that recover deleted files or delete existing files, but none that'll just make sure the already deleted stuff stays dead. If I restored all deleted files to a specific folder and then nuked that would it work, or would restoring just create a new copy & leave the ghost data?

e: am not a nonce, I've handled a lot of other people's sensitive data over the years

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 4, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Borrovan posted:

Off topic, is anyone aware of a tool that can recover and permanently delete old files? Basically I'm sorting through a stack of old laptops so I can take them to the food bank in case anyone needs them for school or w/e, I don't want anyone snooping my files though & not all of them have a secure option in the factory restore thingy. I can find a bunch of tools that recover deleted files or delete existing files, but none that'll just make sure the already deleted stuff stays dead. If I restored all deleted files to a specific folder and then nuked that would it work, or would restoring just create a new copy & leave the ghost data?

Piggybacking off your question to ask if re-installing windows is enough to properly clear out a 2nd hand laptop?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

use DBAN to scrub your drives, although it will remove the OS and everything

I say scrub but it just overwrites everything with gibberish hundreds of times

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boot into a live OS environment like Kali from a CD/DVD/USB stick and then write zeroes or random poo poo over the drive (or better yet both) from shell with something like
code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX bs=4096 status=progress
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4096 status=progress
Then reinstall windows/whatever.

e: To both questions.

e2: Where X in sdX is the actual drive this is p. important

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Latest pod is now out for your enjoyment:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1357334801791946755?s=20

We had a great second half going until we noticed that Audacity had stopped working for one of us, so we had to unfortunately scrap the David Spader Cum Cafe riff we had going - truly a shame.

Still though, a "short" episode is 40 minutes for us, so maybe you like this better?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Borrovan posted:

You don't need to restore the files first, just format the hard drive (if there is an option choose full/slow format, not quick format). If you're extremely paranoid or have reason to think someone might come after your data with an electron microscope you can overwrite it a couple of times with random bytes (you'll need an OS on a CD/USB stick to boot from).

e: Like Guava said

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

VideoGames posted:

For someone like me who is clueless about interest and whatnot, what does Negative Interest Rates mean for a regular person with almost no savings like me?

Not a lot.

But for someone like me who is living off savings (had just £500 income over my £60pw work pension in the past 12 months, another 6 years until can get state pension, can't get universal credit, and at 60 is unlikely ever to get another job for a host of reasons (which I did list but turned into a bitter liturgy so I have deleted unposted) it's a disaster.
I've been on negative interest rates for about 3 months now and to see £2200 since November wiped out of your savings for nothing is a bit shite. If I hadn't bought this miniscule flat 3 months before covid, I would be in absolute dog poo now- at least I only have to pay £116pm service charges instead of £600pm rent now (other stuff council tax and so on is about the same.)

PS if anyone wants to hate on me for being 60 and having savings, I had no savings and mammoth credit card debt until I was over 40.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Borrovan posted:

e: am not a nonce, I've handled a lot of other people's sensitive data over the years

You don't need to recover them first. Tools like Eraser will do overwrite-based secure deletion on the free space of a hard drive

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

we had to unfortunately scrap the David Spader Cum Cafe
I wondered why someone would make this

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Do you remember in the olden days when current accounts were not free anyway unless you kept a balance of IIRC £100+ throughout the month?
Trying to remember when that stopped.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Opening new fossil fuel plants seems like a total absurdity in 2021 when nuclear technology is right there and can deliver vastly more energy for minimal carbon output, and modern designs can even reuse most of the waste. If I was PM I'd absolutely be shooting for a policy of mass nuclear plant construction, the dismantling of the entire fossil-based infrastructure, and a big retraining programme with workers directly transitioned into new jobs in the sector. The hate vs nuclear is so overwrought and is mostly based on concerns that are only really issues in 1960s/1970s designs (i.e. Chernobyl, Fukushima, Three Mile Island), newer types are safe as houses and despite being a big pop culture thing and lasting a long time radioactive waste can legitimately just be buried in lead where it will cause little if any harm. Actually, now I think about it the Simpsons has a lot to answer for when it comes to shaping collective attitudes towards nuclear power.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fedule posted:

He was running as the anti corruption candidate against Neil Hamilton who was notorious for taking bribes (and who's now in UKIP, also has a terrifying wife). Wore a white suit and stuff. It was definitely a Thing at the time.

Edit: this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash-for-questions_affair

All part of the late Major administration's reputation for sleaziness

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 4, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not a lot.

But for someone like me who is living off savings (had just £500 income over my £60pw work pension in the past 12 months, another 6 years until can get state pension, can't get universal credit, and at 60 is unlikely ever to get another job for a host of reasons (which I did list but turned into a bitter liturgy so I have deleted unposted) it's a disaster.
I've been on negative interest rates for about 3 months now and to see £2200 since November wiped out of your savings for nothing is a bit shite. If I hadn't bought this miniscule flat 3 months before covid, I would be in absolute dog poo now- at least I only have to pay £116pm service charges instead of £600pm rent now (other stuff council tax and so on is about the same.)

PS if anyone wants to hate on me for being 60 and having savings, I had no savings and mammoth credit card debt until I was over 40.

So if I live paycheque to paycheque I probably will not see anything change? Otherwise they can just take out any money from my bank just because?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ThomasPaine posted:

Opening new fossil fuel plants seems like a total absurdity in 2021 when nuclear technology is right there and can deliver vastly more energy for minimal carbon output, and modern designs can even reuse most of the waste. If I was PM I'd absolutely be shooting for a policy of mass nuclear plant construction, the dismantling of the entire fossil-based infrastructure, and a big retraining programme with workers directly transitioned into new jobs in the sector. The hate vs nuclear is so overwrought and is mostly based on concerns that are only really issues in 1960s/1970s designs (i.e. Chernobyl, Fukushima, Three Mile Island), newer types are safe as houses and despite being a big pop culture thing and lasting a long time radioactive waste can legitimately just be buried in lead where it will cause little if any harm. Actually, now I think about it the Simpsons has a lot to answer for when it comes to shaping collective attitudes towards nuclear power.

Isn't it more that the people building the current lot-EDF Energy-are kinda terrible 'reward for failure' overpriced money sucking hogs?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

VideoGames posted:

So if I live paycheque to paycheque I probably will not see anything change? Otherwise they can just take out any money from my bank just because?

Probably not from the negative interest rates, but however as Guavanaut suggested, free current accounts might be on the way out, so how that used to work in the old days is you had to keep a certain balance in your account everyday through the month to get it free. (It used to be about £100).

Basically, one way or another, they're going to get you.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Thanks all :)

Miftan posted:

Piggybacking off your question to ask if re-installing windows is enough to properly clear out a 2nd hand laptop?
Looks to depend on the laptop, running something like this will show you what files can be recovered. Reinstalling Windows worked on my newer laptops, but on the older ones it left pretty much all of the old data recoverable.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bloodly posted:

Isn't it more that the people building the current lot-EDF Energy-are kinda terrible 'reward for failure' overpriced money sucking hogs?

Yeah, if there is any industry that absolutely, 100%, in all cases needs to be directly publicly financed and run it's nuclear energy. You do not want to put corner cutting private sector dumbasses at the helm. Like the rail system it would almost certainly work out cheaper to do it this way too, but despite their love of flag shagging the Tories are ideologically opposed to Britain actually owning any of its own stuff at a pretty fundamental level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Christ, this was one of the very few 'wow they do it better' here things, coming from NZ with monthly account, transaction, and withdrawal charges