Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

The implication is that people who do care are focusing on the entirely wrong things in a politician. He's right by the way, worrying about whether or not elected representatives wasted a certain amount of time in a school system designed to give people PTSD and teach them a bunch of stuff they're never going to use for the rest of their life is pretty silly.
it's probably a good idea to nail down formative concepts like the scientific method, algebra, geometry and trigonometry, division of government and the legislative process before your brain ossifies lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

rscott posted:

Maybe we should like, stop loving around in Russian domestic politics, idk seems crazy right? There's a special irony in decrying Russian interference with American elections when US interference in Russians elections lead to Putin getting power in the first place.

Can you please explain what US interference in Russian domestic politics is currently occurring beyond some public statements?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Very few people have lost money betting that the US is involved in interfering with nations working against their interests, for what that's worth

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Kalit posted:

Can you please explain what US interference in Russian domestic politics is currently occurring beyond some public statements?
navalny was created in a test tube in Langley

evidence: he audited classes at Yale for a semester

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Kalit posted:

So far it's just criticism, and fair criticism at that.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Updating my XLSX of Russian assets to include Chris Hedges, Larry King (pbuh), and Jesse Ventura.

:lol: at defending the network that long trafficked in Sept 11 conspiracy theories.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Neurolimal posted:

Very few people have lost money betting that the US is involved in interfering with nations working against their interests, for what that's worth

Of course. But I'm just asking a poster to expand upon a claim they're making without providing any specifics/sources.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kchama posted:

:lol: at defending the network that long trafficked in Sept 11 conspiracy theories.

Please point to where I did that thing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Kalit posted:

lol, don't play dumb. This argument started with the appointment of a Russia hawk to State. I don't know what kind of pressure Duss wants to put on Russia, but it's clear that "public statements" are not the end of the story.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Epic High Five posted:

how many of your properties need to be profitable when the backstop is infinite federal money at 0% interest? This is of course to say nothing of real estate's inflated prices being a result of actual organized crime and foreign investors wanting to park their money somewhere else

the thing is more that appreciation blows any sane rent out of the water in terms of value- it's better to keep properties empty than try to rent them below $1000/mo, or in some places even $1500/mo since there's a significant cost in making a unit habitable and managing it, whereas keeping it empty and just letting it appreciate on minimum maintenance is more useful

in summation, capitalism is a grift- you could use regulation to make keeping units empty disincentivized, but lol given who has the ear of municipal, state, and federal government, never gonna happen

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neurolimal posted:

We need to get Charles Barkley in on this, he would find a way

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

rscott posted:

lol, don't play dumb. This argument started with the appointment of a Russia hawk to State. I don't know what kind of pressure Duss wants to put on Russia, but it's clear that "public statements" are not the end of the story.

Huh? The entire Biden administration (including Biden himself) is filled with "Russia hawks", assuming by that you mean says bad things about Putin. Which I'm sure any RT reporter, including the (recently former or current) one whose tweets were posted last night that used that phrase, would probably agree to that definition.

So once again, how are the US currently interfering in Russia's domestic politics beyond a few public statements?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kalit posted:

Speaking of Russiachat, is RT America a reliable news source or not? I'm just wondering if any journalist who works (or recently worked for) them should be trustworthy or not.

Absolutely not.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Fallom posted:

Debt isn’t inherited except for the case in a couple states where nursing homes can go after kids for unpaid bills

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is like 30 states, theoretically at least

I wonder if these states will expand over time, too. It's not like nursing homes are a small business and they're going to get bigger as boomers continue aging.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Please point to where I did that thing.

So what was the point of your post if you were not defending RT passive-aggressively? If you were just pointing out that famous people signed on with them in some capacity (Larry King, for example, only has his show licensed to air on RTA but isn't affiliated otherwise), then how is that a response to "RT is a state-owned propaganda outlet"?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kchama posted:

So what was the point of your post if you were not defending RT passive-aggressively? If you were just pointing out that famous people signed on with them in some capacity (Larry King, for example, only has his show licensed to air on RTA but isn't affiliated otherwise), then how is that a response to "RT is a state-owned propaganda outlet"?

It was (pretty obviously I think), a commentary on the facile reductionism of Psaki's statement.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 4, 2021

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

rscott posted:

?

I must have missed something Matt Duss said about Russia because all I'm seeing is the same anti-Putin sentiments that's normal among anyone who isn't fond of dictators. Can you explain what you mean by Russia hawk and also "it's clear that "public statements" are not the end of the story". Explain what it is you think Matt Duss will do against Russia.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Thom12255 posted:

Russia is insanely bigoted it almost every way it's impressive.
I have a friend who does, like, sword-and-armor heavy fighting. This is an international deal and he's got Russian friends through it and whatnot.

He's something of a leftist hippie, and nearly every post he makes about social justice or black lives matter, I can count on some doofus typing completely in Cyrillic running in and shouting the most racist and far-right conspiracy poo poo imaginable. It's truly impressive. I almost feel bad for Facebook's built-in translation trying to deal with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rscott posted:

Maybe we should like, stop loving around in Russian domestic politics, idk seems crazy right? There's a special irony in decrying Russian interference with American elections when US interference in Russians elections lead to Putin getting power in the first place.

I mean, turnabout is fair play. It's not like Putin is going to unilaterally stop loving with our elections if we start being extra nice to him.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panzeh posted:

the thing is more that appreciation blows any sane rent out of the water in terms of value- it's better to keep properties empty than try to rent them below $1000/mo, or in some places even $1500/mo since there's a significant cost in making a unit habitable and managing it, whereas keeping it empty and just letting it appreciate on minimum maintenance is more useful

in summation, capitalism is a grift- you could use regulation to make keeping units empty disincentivized, but lol given who has the ear of municipal, state, and federal government, never gonna happen

Maybe a place that's really run down and needs a ton of work or in a theoretical town with no property tax? Maintenance on a unit doesn't cost $1000/mo anywhere and recouping some of your money is better than paying taxes on it to sit empty. Most places have housing shortages and if a place is empty it's because the landlord thinks someone will show up with more money.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/RepKinzinger/status/1357316975928758274

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Vorik posted:

?

I must have missed something Matt Duss said about Russia because all I'm seeing is the same anti-Putin sentiments that's normal among anyone who isn't fond of dictators. Can you explain what you mean by Russia hawk and also "it's clear that "public statements" are not the end of the story". Explain what it is you think Matt Duss will do against Russia.

FWIW, in case you missed it, this (terrible) post from last night contained a tweet from a current or recent RT reporter that called Duss a "Russia hawk":

That might have been why rscott was using that phrase?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 4, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Josef bugman posted:

You certainly don't back anyone who you wouldn't back in your own country. It's not "giving up on a whole country" to go "Let's not back someone who refers to ethnic minorities as cockroaches". You could try and work with people who actually do match your ideological convictions, instead of looking for the person most likely to get in charge, giving them a load of support and then tarnishing yourself when they do something lovely.

I have some very bad news for you about Putin's policies on gays and Muslims re: imprisonment and burning them alive in schools.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

rscott posted:

Maybe we should like, stop loving around in Russian domestic politics, idk seems crazy right?

Human rights are not "domestic politics" :catstare:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

logger posted:

Biden earlier this week picked up a football and told Senate Republicans to kick it, but then pulled it away at the last moment.

Mitch McConnell was outraged that someone would do that, but scurried into his shell when Chuck Schumer wrenched the gavel from his hands on Wednesday.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A lot of good EOs, Covid relief stalled in Congress for the moment, immigration policy stalled by Senate slowboating nominations, also some dogs

Sounds like a good couple of weeks!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

rscott posted:

FYI: The random Twitter guy who declared Bernie's FP advisor a "Russia Hawk" was doing so on the basis of Duss saying that Russia's elections aren't fair, Putin is interning and discriminating against gays and Muslims, and that the invasion of Ukraine was supported by Russia. That is a pretty wild definition for "Russia Hawk."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have some very bad news for you about Putin's policies on gays and Muslims re: imprisonment and burning them alive in schools.

Since when did I say "back Putin"?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

It was (pretty obviously I think), a commentary on the facile reductionism of Psaki's statement.

What's facile and reductive about it? And if you think that's the case then you are absolutely defending RT if you think it's reductive to call it a propaganda outlet. So once more, :lol: at defending the 9/11 Truther station.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A lot of good EOs, Covid relief stalled in Congress for the moment, immigration policy stalled by Senate slowboating nominations, also some dogs

Relief isn't stalled - it's going as fast as a reconciliation process allows. The impeachment trial is the big reason we're not going to have it for a few more weeks. Immigration policy is mostly stalled because of Trump appointees sabotaging everything on their way out and now a lot of basic stuff is going to be in legal hell for months.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm wracking my brain for a news org that doesn't publish propaganda

Anyways, Druss sucks rear end, and Russia is only one facet of him sucking. The fact that he approves of Blinken should give you red flags immediately.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Don't watch RT pls.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Since when did I say "back Putin"?

The reason why Navalny was brought up because a pro-Putin journalist was criticizing him. That was why people were questioning that journalist's integrity. So while that might not be your position, Putin is relevant to the context of why Navalny was brought up.

Neurolimal posted:

Anyways, Druss sucks rear end, and Russia is only one facet of him sucking. The fact that he approves of Blinken should give you red flags immediately.

Honest question, why else does Duss sucks rear end? His positions seem pretty decent to me (beyond being a fan of Blinken), but I'm not super familiar with him.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 4, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Neurolimal posted:

I'm wracking my brain for a news org that doesn't publish propaganda

I mean, sure, Russia Today is bad, but what about [fill in the blank with other news organization]

We can just stop the analysis at "Russia Today is awful, don't defend it." Other organizations are also independently awful, that's not redemptive of RT.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/1357069456946716679
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1357298780756967432

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

For what it's worth, Navalny is barred from the 2024 elections because of a criminal conviction, and his party has yet to be registered last I checked. The Communist Party has 42 seats (second most) and has two candidates proposed.

It's cool if he wants to rabble rouse about Putin, but unless things change I dont really see the point in carrying water for him when it comes to the abhorrent poo poo he's said. Treat him like Tucker Carlson occasionally catching whiff of a populist position.

Yea but the Russian communist party is a joke and exists only to act as controlled opposition.

With that said the oligarch system in Russia is really entrenched and there isn’t a great deal that can be done to remove it outside some massive social upheaval/turmoil.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

"Q-Anoner? I hardly know her!"

quote:

McCarthy Now Claims He Is Not Familiar With QAnon Despite Previously Condemning It 3 Times

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) is now claiming ignorance of QAnon, further compounding his refusal to hold Rep. Marjorie Greene Taylor (R-GA) accountable for her support for deranged conspiracy theories, including QAnon.

“Denouncing ‘Q-on’…I don’t know if I say it right, I don’t even know what it is,” he said, mispronouncing the name.

The Republican leader’s sudden claim to be unfamiliar with QAnon, which alleges now-former President Donald Trump was on a secret mission to take down a ring of pedophiles among Democratic elites, was a flat contradiction to the not one, not two, but three times he had previously denounced the bonkers conspiracy theory before the controversy over Greene’s far-right extremism erupted several weeks ago.

On August 21, shortly after Greene won the GOP primary in her staunchly GOP district and essentially locked in her seat, McCarthy discussed her ties to QAnon during a virtual press conference and said, “I do not agree with their beliefs at all.”

During a Fox News interview later that night, the GOP leader insisted that “there is no place for QAnon in the Republican Party” (while pronouncing the name correctly) and reiterated his disavowal of the conspiracy theory.

“I do not support it,” he said.

Then after Greene and Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), who had also embraced QAnon, won their elections in November, McCarthy indicated during a press briefing that he was aware of the disturbing nature of QAnon when he defended the incoming lawmakers, claiming they had “denounced” the conspiracy theory when a reporter asked him about the issue.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/mccarthy-now-claims-he-doesnt-know-what-qanon-is-despite-previously-condemning-it-3-times

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Neurolimal posted:

Democrats are doing a better job consuming their juniors into the establishment, AOC started using 'access to healthcare' recently which is a pretty big win.

Byzantine posted:

Wait, seriously? gently caress.
lmaoo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

rscott posted:

Let's hear from Matt Duss, Russia Hawk:

quote:

Let’s recognize that NATO was created for a specific purpose: preventing a Soviet invasion of Western Europe. While that’s not a threat anymore, security alliances are important. The idea of shared, collective security is a core component of a progressive foreign policy.

Now, I think it’s also pretty clear that steps were taken to expand NATO after the Cold War in a way that was needlessly provocative to Russia. That’s not to say that Putin isn’t cynical in the way he uses this legitimate grievance, but his criticisms are effective because they have validity, and many, many Russians certainly agree with him.

Other countries have their own genuine security concerns, have their own politics. It’s weird how hard it is for our own foreign policy debates to take that into account. We don’t have to buy every single argument that adversaries make, but we should recognize that we’re just going to enable the worst elements of foreign societies to make the case against us if we don’t act a bit more wisely. And I think some of the steps that were taken to expand NATO in Russia’s face were not wise.

Edit: Maybe we just have different standards for things. I hear hawk and expect something like "we should invade Russia" or "mobilize to liberate disputed territories from Putin's tyrannical regime" or "here's a bunch of money and weapons, Maduro it but finish the job this time".

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 4, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Democrats are doing a better job consuming their juniors into the establishment, AOC started using 'access to healthcare' recently which is a pretty big win.

Like this is the only place I can find her recently using that phrase and it's clear she's just being truthful about what a 50-50 split Senate and a moderate President is actually going to do if the GA races are won. She'd be lying her rear end off if she told people that we'd get medicare for all in the next 4 years. She says having Democrats have control is a chance to organize for more change.

https://twitter.com/johnrobertgage/status/1337217789828993024

I don't get why AOC is starting to get more and more hate here when she is merely trying to get stuff done that is possible instead of screaming about all the stuff she wants and alienating everyone she works with like someone with no power on twitter feels free to do.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea but the Russian communist party is a joke and exists only to act as controlled opposition.

With that said the oligarch system in Russia is really entrenched and there isn’t a great deal that can be done to remove it outside some massive social upheaval/turmoil.

What? How can you say that the Russian Communist Party is controlled opposition?

Just because they said Putin is the greatest Russian leader since Lenin? Or that the Russian Communist Party backs amending the Russian constitution to say that Orthodox Christianity is the foundation of the Russian nation and all rights are bestowed by God - in keeping with Marxist tradition.

quote:

Responding at a press conference in the central office of Interfax to a question about the possibility of the mention of God in the preamble of the constitution, Ziuganov stated that "this is more likely the image that corresponds to the fundamental moral and spiritual values of our state," and he recalled the mention of God in the anthem of the Russian Federation.

"I wholly and completely support the position of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill. Russia is an Orthodox country. Russia is an imperial power. As we say, it is the last hope of God on earth."

"Properly speaking, to a great extent we copied the Moral Code of the Builder of Communism from the Bible. And if someone tries to say otherwise, then simply put the documents side-by-side," the leader of the K.P.R.F. concluded.

"We fully support Mr. Putin and this maneuver."