Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Saoshyant posted:

That's how it happens. Also, how Cannonball has three or four mutant siblings among eight or whatever many of them there are.

Yeah I was being facetious about the "is Speed a mutant even though his mom isn't now" thing. Wanda not being a mutant doesn't matter to his status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

danbanana posted:

Yeah I was being facetious about the "is Speed a mutant even though his mom isn't now" thing. Wanda not being a mutant doesn't matter to his status.

As someone else mentioned, his mutant power is the same as his uncle's (who he looks like) non-mutant power. Making it seem genetic. And since neither Wanda nor Pietro are mutants anymore and Speed still has the same power, I can understand why people would wonder. But given the nature of Speed's existence, it would still make sense to me for him to still be a mutant.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I think that was just showing when Siryn's hypnotism was kicking in, so she won't have them again

I misremember things.

nah dude that's part of her costume lol

radlum
May 13, 2013
Which ONE attack on the Xavier Institute is Prodigy referring to on this week's X-Factor? Was that also part of Rosenberg's massacre of mutants on UXM?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adder Moray posted:

As someone else mentioned, his mutant power is the same as his uncle's (who he looks like) non-mutant power. Making it seem genetic. And since neither Wanda nor Pietro are mutants anymore and Speed still has the same power, I can understand why people would wonder. But given the nature of Speed's existence, it would still make sense to me for him to still be a mutant.

He's not genetically related to his uncle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

He's not genetically related to his uncle.

Honestly, thank god the MCU seems to be taking the shortest path between two points to get there instead of the mess that Heinberg created.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eh, Heinberg did fine with the setup he had available to him. It's not like he wrote the fake hand babies story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, thank god the MCU seems to be taking the shortest path between two points to get there instead of the mess that Heinberg created.

Blame Byrne

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, Heinberg did fine with the setup he had available to him. It's not like he wrote the fake hand babies story.

There will be no disparraging Master Pandemoneum here.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

radlum posted:

Which ONE attack on the Xavier Institute is Prodigy referring to on this week's X-Factor? Was that also part of Rosenberg's massacre of mutants on UXM?

Yeah, that letter is basically a handwave to say everyone Rosenberg killed off was brought back.

Though it looks like Prodigy may not have actually died?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I knew the "don't bring back anyone who isn't confirmed dead" thing was gonna fall apart, honestly surprised it took this long.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, that letter is basically a handwave to say everyone Rosenberg killed off was brought back.

Though it looks like Prodigy may not have actually died?

I am going to guess suicide or possibly he is a spy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I am going to guess suicide or possibly he is a spy

The Prodigy in the comics is pretty sure he died when he was told he died, but Speed has a photo of them together somewhere else on the night he supposedly died. And then a follow-up e-mail with the 5 says they didn't actually have a dead body from when he supposedly died, but they had so many confirmed deaths from that night in that place that they didn't doubt the outliers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The Prodigy in the comics is pretty sure he died when he was told he died, but Speed has a photo of them together somewhere else on the night he supposedly died. And then a follow-up e-mail with the 5 says they didn't actually have a dead body from when he supposedly died, but they had so many confirmed deaths from that night in that place that they didn't doubt the outliers.

The fact he was like let’s make out, which read to me as him not wanting to speak anymore about it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The fact he was like let’s make out, which read to me as him not wanting to speak anymore about it

I think it's half that and half every issue of X-Factor half the characters are constantly wanting to say "let's make out."

Interesting that it seems like Prodigy and Speed got together after the finale of Young Avengers vol 2.

Was the thing with ghost Patriot ever explained in a comic I didn't read?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm still not really sure what that sequence is supposed to be describing. There was no "Xavier's Institute" in Rosenberg's X-Men run, they were operating out of the back of a bar. Prodigy's only appearance during that run is three background shots during/after Wolfsbane's funeral. He'd previously 'died' along with like a hundred other X-Men at the end of X-Men: Disassembled (they were actually sucked into Age of X-Man, and Prodigy appears in two background group shots but doesn't actually do anything in that storyline either so who knows if anyone was paying attention to him at that point).

Prodigy had a larger (but still minor) role in Rosenberg's New Mutants: Dead Souls comic that directly led to a number of storylines in his lovely X-Men run, but he doesn't die in that and O.N.E., Xavier's Institute, or any other parts of his story never appear there either.

Loa and Rahne both die in Rosenberg's run, but Loa is shown via flashback getting kicked to death by unidentified "anti-mutant forces" in the sewers, and Rahne is killed in a terrible allegory/by the frat boys who flip out after she turns into wolf form when they're sexually harassing her. I mean, I assume this is some weird conspiracy/mind manipulation thing, but it doesn't seem to be referring to a specific comic or anything.

A really large percentage of the people that Rosenberg killed off in that run are already explicitly back though: Wolfsbane, Sunspot, Strong Guy, Banshee, Sabretooth, Fabian Cortez, Chamber, Shinobi Shaw, Greycrow, it's not like they needed to lampshade "those folks got resurrected" in a comic to let people know those characters are alive again.

Again, I know this is the story that Williams is telling, I'm just saying that this isn't some fixing something with a retcon, it's creating a problem with a retcon to presumably play out in subsequent issues.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Loa and Rahne both die in Rosenberg's run, but Loa is shown via flashback getting kicked to death by unidentified "anti-mutant forces" in the sewers, and Rahne is killed in a terrible allegory/by the frat boys who flip out after she turns into wolf form when they're sexually harassing her. I mean, I assume this is some weird conspiracy/mind manipulation thing, but it doesn't seem to be referring to a specific comic or anything.

I get Rahne not wanting to kill people but she's still like super strong and stuff in her werewolf form. Why didn't she just leave? Is the answer 'Rosenberg is a hack and wanted to try Drama?'

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Metalshark posted:

Speed geeking out at Northstar was another great touch

I know comics don't work this way, but this should be a gigantic Chekov's Gun. Oh no, Northstar can destroy anything by going relativistic, but he would die! :(

So anyway.

Makes sense there is no Knull in the X timeline since he got ganked like a chump off-screen.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dawgstar posted:

I get Rahne not wanting to kill people but she's still like super strong and stuff in her werewolf form. Why didn't she just leave? Is the answer 'Rosenberg is a hack and wanted to try Drama?'

Yes. His run has absolutely nothing to recommend about it and a ton of reasons to actively avoid it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

What does your heart tell you?

She was sitting in a park drinking a coffee and being sad about all of her friends constantly dying during the rest of Rosenberg's run when some frat dudes wander by and one starts hitting on her and asks her to come to a party. She politely says no, but he grabs her when she tries to leave, at which point she goes werewolf and they all freak out that a MUTIE was trying to TRAP them like a FREAK and the four frat guys kick her to death. This is all revealed when Wolverine demands to relive the moment through their eyes and Psylocke facilitates it. It is explained by Wolverine saying "Kid wouldn't change. She wouldn't defend herself." which you know, asked and answered!

By the time this comic came out (May 1 2019) we were only a couple of weeks away from the announcement of House of X/Powers of X, and a little over two months out from SDCC where the Dawn of X announcement (including cover reveals showing Wolfsbane, Sunspot, Warlock, Chamber, Havok, etc.) signalled that all of these deaths were temporary, though at the time no one knew how exactly. It really feels like Rosenberg was told "if you want to kill someone you can, the new status quo is going to allow for resurrection" and he just cracked his knuckles and opened up X-Men_I_Wish_I_Could_Kill.xlsx

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Rahne has had a real load of poo poo in her life seeing as she's only like 20-21 years old. She was 13 when she joined the New Mutants and maybe 16 when she met Hrimhari.

I say wipe her memory.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just re-read Rosenberg's run and it does read differently with the knowledge he presumably had of what was coming but it's still really bad.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Sometimes I think comics fans get riled about things just because they like being riled but as a trans person who has had the poo poo beaten out of me by people who didn't like discovering I was trans the Rahne stuff was both incredibly ham-fisted and extremely dog-poo poo to read and have to think about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
considering that this is x-factor, the book about the nuts and bolts of the resurrection system, i'd bet that prodigy didn't die and the original is still out there. if so, the mystery becomes why he disappeared.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

considering that this is x-factor, the book about the nuts and bolts of the resurrection system, i'd bet that prodigy didn't die and the original is still out there. if so, the mystery becomes why he disappeared.

Speed notes that the photo he's using to show Prodigy that he didn't die on the night he thought he did is the only photo posted by the social media account that posted it; if that doesn't shout "there's a lot more to this" then I dunno what would

my bet is it was posted by Original Prodigy (the one appearing in X-Factor is Resurrected Prodigy) who's being held under duress somewhere but I guess we'll see

radlum
May 13, 2013

Cloks posted:

I just re-read Rosenberg's run and it does read differently with the knowledge he presumably had of what was coming but it's still really bad.

Yeah, the thing about Rosenberg's run is that even with the knowledge that most of the dead characters are gonna come back, it still sucks. The deaths feel mean spirited, random or problematic; just because Rahne got to come back, it doesn't mean that the way he treated her no longer exists on the page.

Besides, the actual plot was bad and most of the times the art was just awful (Larroca never fails to deliver).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh, it's a transphobic, plodding mess. I'm not debating that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I quit reading the Rosenberg series before Rahne died and even with the caveats and everything, I still think HoxPox should have opened with this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEjeTb1rrs

Rahne as Patrick Duffy and like Magik or Dani Moonstar as Victoria Principal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Important info behind the latest X-Factor.

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1357555257199452160?s=20

I should probably read Empyre, since I like Wiccan and Hulkling anyways.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Rahne, a character who's escaped five million mobs, incapable of escaping this one. Lol.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Probably Magic posted:

Rahne, a character who's escaped five million mobs, incapable of escaping this one. Lol.

Yeah. She ducked mobs before she knew she could turn into a wolf. And for some reason did not also just turn into like a werewolf and run away. Stupid.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

I think it's half that and half every issue of X-Factor half the characters are constantly wanting to say "let's make out."

Interesting that it seems like Prodigy and Speed got together after the finale of Young Avengers vol 2.

Was the thing with ghost Patriot ever explained in a comic I didn't read?

It was implied at the end of Gillen’s run that he was a future version of Prodigy who gave up his humanity to ensure that Wiccan would become the Demiurge, but it was left ambiguous.

BrianWilly posted:

he didn’t have to establish that they each had their own set of biological parents *but* were somehow also identical twins *and* were also Wanda and Vision’s kids, though. that’s what makes their origin a mess to the point where no one has ever really tried to explain the how and why of it

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 6, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, wasn't Cannonball's non-mutant family there for The Crucible issue? They brought various delegates there. Given Prodigy's powers and the huge number of psychics on Krakoa you'd want some form of information exchange with the rest of the world that involved physical visitations from human experts in whatever fields.

I'd need to dig out HoxPox to check but I thought the way it was first explained, all mutants can go through gates, mutants can bring humans with them, but Krakoa might say no.

Scott lives on the moon, so he wasn't inviting his dad to stay on Krakoa, but he gave his dad a gate, with the implication his dad could use it to visit his house on the moon, unaccompanied, so there's a way for non mutants to be able to use a gate without a mutant.

Honestly, the gates as a security system has more holes in it than a block of Swiss cheese, those geriatric botanists were able to hack it, in X-Force humans were able to graft mutant skin on them to bypass it, Scott's dad can use at least one, just because he's Scott's dad.

I think some of the confusion might be stemming from the recent Juggernaut series where Charles tells Cain that Krakoa is mutant only and he's not welcome there however much Charles would like to invite him. And that could either be the writer not being on the same page as the rest of the X team or they just wanted to tell Cain's story free from X baggage.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Gonna spoiler these 'cause the issue just came out today

The whole Hickman-X-era has been incredibly entertaining, but Hellions has been a real surprise standout.

It's really a perfect premise and execution of exploring the ridiculousness of all mutants, good and bad, now getting along in supposed harmony.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think some of the confusion might be stemming from the recent Juggernaut series where Charles tells Cain that Krakoa is mutant only and he's not welcome there however much Charles would like to invite him. And that could either be the writer not being on the same page as the rest of the X team or they just wanted to tell Cain's story free from X baggage.

It could also be Xavier being a dick to his dick stepbrother.

(I can't remember if they had been on good terms before Charles died on AvX)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I haven't read that but humans coming to visit Krakoa is different than humans taking up permanent residence. Was Cain asking to live there or just stop by for a few hours to talk to his old buddy Black Tom?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I sort of imagine all the mutants getting together and agreeing to tell Juggernaut that it's No Humans Allowed Island because if they don't, he'll find an excuse to visit 'just for a couple hours, you know, to say hey to Tom and Sammy The Fish Boy if he's back and some other old pals' and then he'd just never leave, so they're trying to let him down easy.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Absolutely gonna pitch Marvel my Fish Boy miniseries right now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

danbanana posted:

I haven't read that but humans coming to visit Krakoa is different than humans taking up permanent residence. Was Cain asking to live there or just stop by for a few hours to talk to his old buddy Black Tom?

he was protecting a young mutant and convinced her to go to krakoa. so it was extra lovely of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he was protecting a young mutant and convinced her to go to krakoa. so it was extra lovely of them.
Wouldn't this piss off Tom? Like sure if this is throwaway "this is why Cain didn't just go to Krakoa and take a nap" justification it's just the fortunes of war, but you would think they would hold the better Cassidy's opinion in higher esteem.