Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
re: polar solar, it's not at all realistic and counterintuitively superior than equatorial, at least for a planet with a reasonably low axial tilt. The panels don't occlude each other, insolation doesn't vary with latitude, and they get more power from twilight than they probably should. I found that my homeworld with 7 degrees of axial tilt would get 100% solar effectiveness on one pole during summer, and the other pole in mid winter would have 75% uptime, with the active panels scaling linearly from about 40% power down to 0%. This is with about 15 degrees of the poles covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Fractionaters specifically work by running hydrogen through them, and 1% of the hydrogen that runs through them is converted into deuterium and spat out the front. It's only fractionators that work that way, and generally the ideal way to build them involves making a conveyor loop that just runs hydrogen in circles with the fractionators forming part of the loop, then another line taking the deuterium they spit out the front.

it's also worth noting that they don't have processing time or anything so deuterium output is entirely dependent on how fast you can shove hydrogen through it. I have 8 of them on a t3 belt loop and they filled up like 2 liquid storages while I was building some mines on another planet.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I need like a million Refined Oil, the only way to get it is to put up half a million Oil Refineries right?

I don't need all this hydrogen and all these refineries are crazy. Am I missing a better way?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Athanatos posted:

I need like a million Refined Oil, the only way to get it is to put up half a million Oil Refineries right?

I don't need all this hydrogen and all these refineries are crazy. Am I missing a better way?

Yeah you'll need to tap pretty much all of your oil veins on your home planet at some point. You will absolutely need all that hydrogen so keep building tanks to route the stuff into for now because it will come in handy soon. Or you can route it into your combustion generators for some power if you want to get through it quickly.

E: Or if you have Fractionators unlocked build a couple of them and start running your hydrogen through it to get that sweet sweet deuterium.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 3, 2021

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
my home planet has 33 crude per second
its a lotta oil

i dont wanna be at work, i wanna go home and play dsp
i've got the factorios :<

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Athanatos posted:

Nope, welcome to hell.

My current hell is needing organic crystal as part of the chain to get green cubes. I could go hopping around the galaxy looking for a natural source but I think I'm just gonna build more refineries on some of my untapped oil nodes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

IcePhoenix posted:

My current hell is needing organic crystal as part of the chain to get green cubes. I could go hopping around the galaxy looking for a natural source but I think I'm just gonna build more refineries on some of my untapped oil nodes.

Yeah this is mine too. I have some other shortages that I can get on top of but these organic crystals are going to be a real bitch. Thinking about routing the materials into a tower and shipping it somewhere else to make them because I have zero room to expand my current crystal manufacturing setup.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

explosivo posted:

Yeah this is mine too. I have some other shortages that I can get on top of but these organic crystals are going to be a real bitch. Thinking about routing the materials into a tower and shipping it somewhere else to make them because I have zero room to expand my current crystal manufacturing setup.

I did this. It's fantastic. Get those towers working for you it makes everything so much cleaner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The oil loop generally just takes up a ton of space because yeah you need a huge number of refineries, I really think they should be a stackable building.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What I really need is a soil miner so I can just go to my spiraform crystal planet, turn it into concrete, and suck up those juicy 7-8 oil per second nodes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Oof my desert planet has one tiny coal patch, and no oil. I set up a bazillion solar panels but like I can't really make much here other than mag coils or something.

No clue how I'm ever gonna get out of this backwater system.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Quite proud of my progress so far. I've got an absolute mess of a polar factory (I like the circles) outputting enough to keep 6 launch pads busy and my sphere is really taking shape now.

Shameless shoutout for the Mapgoons discord :v:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

IcePhoenix posted:

What I really need is a soil miner so I can just go to my spiraform crystal planet, turn it into concrete, and suck up those juicy 7-8 oil per second nodes.

I'd sacrifice a whole planet for this. Make it an orbit soil collector that ruins the planet or something.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I've been having some really good results arranging my stuff to minimize belts. My green engine factory for example has only one straight belt in of iron plates and one of electromagnets. Nothing intermediary touches a belt. It's really been helpful with some of the more complex recipes.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Wow, god mode camera for building is a revelation, like it's so good I feel it should be something you unlock in the tech tree once you get to yellow science or something like that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

real quick question not answered in the OP: at what point do I need to branch out to other planets? yellow jello requires a couple of things not readily available on the first planet, but flying in space seems like it'll take forever? please advise

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

LordSaturn posted:

real quick question not answered in the OP: at what point do I need to branch out to other planets? yellow jello requires a couple of things not readily available on the first planet, but flying in space seems like it'll take forever? please advise

You can unlock space flight pretty quickly. Even if you never press "Shift" to speed up in space, getting to the closest planets are minute or two journeys.

The first few back and forths are suppose to be a bit slow and taking stuff yourself in your inventory as a courier.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jamsque posted:

Wow, god mode camera for building is a revelation, like it's so good I feel it should be something you unlock in the tech tree once you get to yellow science or something like that.

Which button do you hit for that? I can't seem to find it, and I know I'll look like an idiot for it but goddamn it'd be nice to put wind and solar down evenly.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You'll need to go to another planet for titanium, and hopefully while you're there you can get some silicon as well. Then you can basically ignore space for a long time until you start making so much stuff that you need to start converting other worlds into smelter hellscapes.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Also make a save before you blast off into space the first time. Figuring out the controls and balancing fuel use might end you up lost in space forever.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Athanatos posted:

Also make a save before you blast off into space the first time. Figuring out the controls and balancing fuel use might end you up lost in space forever.

And make sure to stack your fuel tank with energized graphite to fuel you up for the return trip.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

seaborgium posted:

Which button do you hit for that? I can't seem to find it, and I know I'll look like an idiot for it but goddamn it'd be nice to put wind and solar down evenly.

It would be great if it were a button press, it's a toggle in the settings menu. It's kinda annoying to get out of god mode camera and back into moving your mecha around, but remember you can still shift-right click in build mode to issue a move command if you are reaching the end of building range.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think it says anywhere in the rulebook that the dyson sphere has to contain the star, it's a sphere made of solar panels orbiting around a star, ergo my planet covered in solar panels is a dyson sphere.

Fractionaters specifically work by running hydrogen through them, and 1% of the hydrogen that runs through them is converted into deuterium and spat out the front. It's only fractionators that work that way, and generally the ideal way to build them involves making a conveyor loop that just runs hydrogen in circles with the fractionators forming part of the loop, then another line taking the deuterium they spit out the front.

They and some other buildings connect inline with the conveyor network, no sorters needed, but most of the production buildings need sorters to transfer to and from belts.

I certainly would like a lategame version of the smelter and assembler that can connect inline so you can shovel an entire planet's worth of materials into it and poo poo out giant piles of stuff.

Ah, gotcha, I thought I was missing something where you could use a conveyor to extract one of the inputs you're putting in as well as the output it's producing (before the building uses it). Essentially daisy-chaining the production line.

Also, turns out building the logistic centres wasn't as straightforward as I thought. Getting the sufficient titanium meant going off-world but getting it back to my main planet is going to be a pain in the rear end.

It's spawned on a lava planet and the wind power is pretty weak so power generation is generally poo poo. Also, there's supposed to be coal here but I've not found it and there's no oil on the planet either so i keep on running out of mech fuel while there. I think because of the lack of oil I'm struggling to see a way to make all of the components for logistics there too and I'll have to basically fly back and forth between the 2 planets to manually haul the titanium and silicon.

I'm guessing this is all part of the progression though and I'm supposed to go through this headache to then appreciate the luxury of the interstellar logistics?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kin posted:

It's spawned on a lava planet and the wind power is pretty weak so power generation is generally poo poo. Also, there's supposed to be coal here but I've not found it and there's no oil on the planet either so i keep on running out of mech fuel while there. I think because of the lack of oil I'm struggling to see a way to make all of the components for logistics there too and I'll have to basically fly back and forth between the 2 planets to manually haul the titanium and silicon.
Are you using energetic graphite rather than coal? Once I started using that I didn't have any problems running out of energy on trips, a full load of those lasts a really long time.

And yeah, you'll have to do a few manual trips. I just had a few storage containers filling up, and I'd head over with a completely empty inventory and haul it back. I only had to do a couple manual runs before I'd managed to research interplanetary logistics.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't really use fuel until I got deuterium.

For power generation without fuel you can use the tier 2 energy pylons, they charge you if you stand next to them and they stack so building a cluster will fill you up quick if you have spare power.

re: early interplanetary transport don't bother trying to set up production on other planets, just plop down some miners and some smelters and smelt your titanium/silicon on site and then ship it back in your pockets. Later on you don't even need to bother with the smelting step but titanium/silicon only make one thing from the ore and it costs 2 ore to make 1 ingot, so you save on trips doing it that way. Just grab a crateload of it and bring it back to your home planet every now and then when you need it until you can research interstellar logistics buildings to automate the process.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jamsque posted:

It would be great if it were a button press, it's a toggle in the settings menu. It's kinda annoying to get out of god mode camera and back into moving your mecha around, but remember you can still shift-right click in build mode to issue a move command if you are reaching the end of building range.

When in god mode camera, you can still control your mech normally by holding the Shift key. Go into flight mode, jump over that building, etc etc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
So quiet in this thread after work, lol.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
holy poo poo, from a logistics tower:
you can drop from inventory onto a specified type (eg, you've set coal as one of the products in the tower, you can pick up coal in your inventory and drop it onto the tower coal icon). You cant shift click or ctrl click from inventory, you have to drag and drop.
you can rightclick on the icon to pick up from the tower storage. You cant shift click or ctrl click, or even left click. have to right click.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

awesmoe posted:

you can drop from inventory onto a specified type (eg, you've set coal as one of the products in the tower, you can pick up coal in your inventory and drop it onto the tower coal icon). You cant shift click or ctrl click from inventory, you have to drag and drop.
you can rightclick on the icon to pick up from the tower storage. You cant shift click or ctrl click, or even left click. have to right click.

haha I have built so many blue belts to chests just to get a handful of something out of a tower, time to right-clirke

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

awesmoe posted:

Fun fact:

You can go into planet view and snatch stuff from towers from anywhere on the map, you're welcome.

Choco Happy Ending
Mar 16, 2009

Mmmmfffppphggghhg
How big do the savegames get in the lategame? I've read that some people had problems with the size reaching hundreds of mb and saving taking a long time/crashing. May have just been a bug though.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Choco Happy Ending posted:

How big do the savegames get in the lategame? I've read that some people had problems with the size reaching hundreds of mb and saving taking a long time/crashing. May have just been a bug though.

I'm in what I'd consider the lategame (halfway done with my first dyson sphere and about to unlock the win the game research) and my files are 59 MB. The autosave takes a few seconds longer than it did at the game start, but I haven't seen any crashes or real interruptions.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Fun fact:

You can go into planet view and snatch stuff from towers from anywhere on the map, you're welcome.

While this is true, I apparently lack any ability to remember where a given production line is or how to find it. So I spend way to much time hunting on the map.

I think I'm going to build a big polar mall that has everything I could possibly want.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Demon_Corsair posted:

While this is true, I apparently lack any ability to remember where a given production line is or how to find it. So I spend way to much time hunting on the map.

I think I'm going to build a big polar mall that has everything I could possibly want.

Lol yeah I used to have a pretty good idea of where stuff is in my factory, and for the stuff closer to the center that has always been there I largely still do, however the further out from the center I get as I added on new production lines I get less sure of where to go so I end up flying in circles around my base a couple times to find what I'm looking for sometimes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

this happens outside of my main complex, but inside I'm like pretty aware of the many vestigial construction zones where I mostly manually built stuff early on and started dumping similar things later...If I ever do make it out of this solar system I'm sure that information will evaporate from my brain instantly.

but I've had good success with plucking things from the planet map, just click around the towers see what they got, grab stuff you need. Or just set up another tower and have it delivered. Wish there was a logistics view though to see all my products in supply...there might be but I haven't really looked into it yet.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
As my base on my home planet expands the original nodes I've tapped for iron/copper/coal/stone are running dry. While I have planetary logistics set up for all these now, it's still causing certain lines to run slow/stop.

So as I set up something new like titanium glass, I see something I need not coming out and have this fun trek back through my supply chain to eventually fix it.... And I enjoy that so much for some reason?? Send help.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I’m a scrub so I just stumble around my home planet and grab whatever poo poo I need for my next poorly optimized addition.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

If you're building solar panel arrays and not using "god mode" building with automatic camera offsets (not a cheat code, just a camera that isn't locked on the mecha), you're wasting SO MUCH TIME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fun fact:

Was reading the DSP discord and someone did the math to figure out the universe is actually properly to scale. The orbital periods and distances and all that jazz all match up with real life expectations, they were showing how on a gravity calculation spread sheet that the planets are orbiting at the distance and speed that matches real life expectations for celestial bodies of the same mass around the same mass star.