Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rosewood
May 7, 2004
Shockaholic

I absolutely love my Lloyd pans. I've yet to be disappointed by their quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Hey Pizza thread. I'm new to GWS so apologies in advance for low quality pics and any faux pas.

I've spent a good while trying to make decent pizzas and failing miserably until now. The single biggest improvement to my game has been heat since I've always been using domestic gas or electric ovens that are about 200C too cold for that which I crave; Neapolitan style margheritas.

I took delivery of an electric oven + refractory stone capable of 500C on the weekend, and the first pie out of it has blown my mind. I reckon I'll have trouble reproducing this any time soon but it won't stop me from trying:

Maybe a little watery- I was about 20C above the temperature I was aiming for, and the canned tomatoes I was using are a bit crap. Those should be easy enough to fix. The crust I think was the real winner:

The oven is an effeuno p134ha 500C edition with a saputo biscotto stone. I've been looking for something like this for about a decade now and had nearly given up when a bunch of Italians from another forum started appearing in my youtube searches turning out insane pizzas with this model and its shorter brother the p134a. There's a community that mod them with PID controllers and extra insulation but this is more for the 450C model where for Neapolitan style you're right on the edge of what the oven is capable of. I went for this over wood-fired or gas powered as I live in a climate where I'd rather be making pizza indoors all year round than waiting for a few dry days outside.

The dough I'm using is locally branded 00 flour following a 65% hydration recipe with 25% by flour mass overnight poolish similar to Jeff Varasano's recipe. 1h bulk ferment and 24h balled at room temp. This dough was hand kneaded as I don't have a mixer. I've got a bag of caputo pizzeria on order.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Detroit style pizza... Reminds me of the kind of pizza my parents used to make in the 1980s when pizza was a new thing here.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

StarkingBarfish posted:

Hey Pizza thread. I'm new to GWS so apologies in advance for low quality pics and any faux pas.

I've spent a good while trying to make decent pizzas and failing miserably until now. The single biggest improvement to my game has been heat since I've always been using domestic gas or electric ovens that are about 200C too cold for that which I crave; Neapolitan style margheritas.

I took delivery of an electric oven + refractory stone capable of 500C on the weekend, and the first pie out of it has blown my mind. I reckon I'll have trouble reproducing this any time soon but it won't stop me from trying:

Maybe a little watery- I was about 20C above the temperature I was aiming for, and the canned tomatoes I was using are a bit crap. Those should be easy enough to fix. The crust I think was the real winner:

The oven is an effeuno p134ha 500C edition with a saputo biscotto stone. I've been looking for something like this for about a decade now and had nearly given up when a bunch of Italians from another forum started appearing in my youtube searches turning out insane pizzas with this model and its shorter brother the p134a. There's a community that mod them with PID controllers and extra insulation but this is more for the 450C model where for Neapolitan style you're right on the edge of what the oven is capable of. I went for this over wood-fired or gas powered as I live in a climate where I'd rather be making pizza indoors all year round than waiting for a few dry days outside.

The dough I'm using is locally branded 00 flour following a 65% hydration recipe with 25% by flour mass overnight poolish similar to Jeff Varasano's recipe. 1h bulk ferment and 24h balled at room temp. This dough was hand kneaded as I don't have a mixer. I've got a bag of caputo pizzeria on order.

well this is pretty baller. i've been eyeing the breville oven, which gets up to 400C, but i don't think it's a big enough difference over what i've got now; my home oven gets up to about 300C (though i use metal instead of a stone which changes things a bit). definitely going to keep these in mind for the eventual kitchen reno.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
One thing you might want to consider is that this is a ~3kW 240v oven. I'm not sure where you are but you may need to wire it into a dryer connection or similar if you're in a 110v country.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

One thing you might want to consider is that this is a ~3kW 240v oven. I'm not sure where you are but you may need to wire it into a dryer connection or similar if you're in a 110v country.

yeah, i looked up their website, though i appreciate the heads up regardless. we have a few unused breakers in the panel so running another circuit wouldn't be too much trouble (especially if we had to move the stove plug anyway).

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 4, 2021

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Ok, maybe not a fluke then. Dropped the temp on the stone to 470C and left it in for 72s. Last pizza was 63s:

This was *just* on the verge of being overcooked- some toastier flavours from the crust but still a great chew. The mozz melted to about the right consistency, maybe slightly too long.

What're your opinions on peel/pizza lubricant? Right now I'm using fine semolina and it shows on the crust. I really like the slightly abrasive crunchy texture you get from it combined with the chew of the dough. I might try some with 00 flour next and compare.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh i just use parchment. trim it to the size of your dough once its on and you don't even really need to worry about it burning. if its an issue though you can snag it out once the bottom firms up.

with that said i do use cornmeal occasionally. sometimes i just rub flour into the peel.

i don't bother with special flours, though, i stick to AP if i'm not milling it myself.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

mediaphage posted:

i don't bother with special flours, though, i stick to AP if i'm not milling it myself.

I've been trying for so long to get good pizzas out of bad ovens that I'm really looking forward to changing up the rest of my process to see what was just down to the oven. I've plenty of AP kicking about, might try a batch with that next.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I also just use trimmed parchment paper on a baking steel and never have any issues.

Though, my oven tops out at 550F so there might be a concern of the parchment paper bursting into flames at higher temps?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

I've been trying for so long to get good pizzas out of bad ovens that I'm really looking forward to changing up the rest of my process to see what was just down to the oven. I've plenty of AP kicking about, might try a batch with that next.

i think it mostly comes down to technique (including ferm here) and dumping heat into the crust. most of the rest is audiophile cookery.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I also just use trimmed parchment paper on a baking steel and never have any issues.

Though, my oven tops out at 550F so there might be a concern of the parchment paper bursting into flames at higher temps?

yes and no; it’s theoretically possible but it’s extremely unlikely to happen while covered with a pizza unless your pizza is now also above ignition temp and if so you have other issues

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have a wood peel and just rub flour into it. Only runs into problems if someone spills sauce or cheese over the edges. So if you’re a messy pizza maker, maybe go for the parchment.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I finally got around to doing some tavern style at home, ala this post that was linked in this very thread a while ago: https://thetakeout.com/homemade-chicago-style-thin-crust-tavern-pizza-a-love-1844549899

I liked my results! There is one place here in town (very oddly, for Tallahassee, FL) that does this style so I was aiming to replicate their pie. The crust was a really good match, although my crimping is uh, not good lol. It sorta immediately un-crimped itself in the oven.

Mine:

reference pie:

I think the standout from the pizzadad post is definitely the tomato sauce. I really like the hit of vinegar added at the end- I did the recipe exactly as written, and used red wine vinegar.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You don't need to crimp the dough, just roll it out with a big rolling pin and smack it with a fork to get it to lie flat. And get the sauce and cheese all the way to almost falling off the pizza. And what's this olive oil thing, regular corn oil is just fine. Ain't nobody got the money for fancy olive oil in tavern style. Really though, try corn oil instead, as that helps get that Chicago tavern style cheap corn flavor. And if you don't use fennel sausage you may as well be making something else entirely. Or be traitors like Lou Malnatti's (seriously, who doesn't put fennel in Italian sausage?!?).

I left Chicago last year and tavern style is one of the things worth missing. Not that deep dish thing, tavern style is the better pizza from Chicago. Your pizza does look good too, just naked around the edges. Nice big hunks of sausage.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Went extremely hipster for this one. Vegetarian mock duck, hoisin sauce, mozz. Cucumber + spring onion added after cooking.

I hosed up the launch and it came out oval. Still ate that pie like it was my last meal on earth.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hell yeah

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

StarkingBarfish posted:

Went extremely hipster for this one. Vegetarian mock duck, hoisin sauce, mozz. Cucumber + spring onion added after cooking.

I hosed up the launch and it came out oval. Still ate that pie like it was my last meal on earth.

Mate, that looks like a great idea... awesome job. Definitely stealing that idea!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jamsta posted:

Mate, that looks like a great idea... awesome job. Definitely stealing that idea!

It's not mine sadly- I've seen it around in a few places, and a bar I used to go to served it. It is really, really good with either mock or real duck.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

StarkingBarfish posted:

thought it was pulled pork poutine pizza, either way looks delicious.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

LifeSunDeath posted:

thought it was pulled pork poutine pizza, either way looks delicious.

That also sounds tasty. Something slightly sweet like hoisin works really well to offset the saltiness of the dough. Gravy might be a bit savoury but I could totally see pulled pork with an apple sauce working.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
That pie looks sweet, now I wanna try making a banh mi pizza

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Tavern pie v2. This one came out better for sure. I tried to get the crust a little bit more thin, didn't bother crimping the edges, stuck to one topping, and broke up the sausage a bit more. Also finished with some garlic, oregano, and basil after it came out of the oven.

also the pizza wanter, waiting to lick the plate

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Tavern pie v2. This one came out better for sure. I tried to get the crust a little bit more thin, didn't bother crimping the edges, stuck to one topping, and broke up the sausage a bit more. Also finished with some garlic, oregano, and basil after it came out of the oven.

also the pizza wanter, waiting to lick the plate

That looks very nearly perfect.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Cast iron deep dish, on the very well done side...

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
At the risk of loving up a winning streak, I'm making a batch with 25% less salt this time.
As I understand it the purpose of the salt is to slow the ferment and promote stronger gluten formation, but since I'm averaging temps of 16C during the bulk ferment and proofing stages I don't need to slow it much. I'm also wary of regularly eating pies with nearly 3g salt in them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

At the risk of loving up a winning streak, I'm making a batch with 25% less salt this time.
As I understand it the purpose of the salt is to slow the ferment and promote stronger gluten formation, but since I'm averaging temps of 16C during the bulk ferment and proofing stages I don't need to slow it much. I'm also wary of regularly eating pies with nearly 3g salt in them.

i tend to keep to around 3% salt in all my doughs.

with that said i've been doing a dual-stage hydration with an overnight autolyse followed by incorporating yeast and salt water the next morning, and really enjoying the results.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm actually also getting burnt crust problems with Kenji's Detroit Pizza recipe too now that I have properly scaled it up and double checked everything. There are particular factors:

1. Running the oven at 550F
2. Putting the rack in the lowest position

I used the short end of the time at 12 minutes.

I did a pizza with topping and one with just cheese. The pizza with topping came out a little better, but had an undercooked top. The topping had insulated it some but prevented the crust from fully baking. The cheese pizza had a burnt bottom.

My impression is I should try it at 500F in the middle rack position for 15 minutes instead.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What kind of pan?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My impression is I should try it at 500F in the middle rack position for 15 minutes instead.

yeah seconding pan type but also depending on how much work you want to do you may wish to only do one or the other before doing both

additionally do you have a thermometer in the oven to see if that’s accurate? my thermometer actually errors out when i blast my oven and it goes up to 575 so who knows how hot it actually gets

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If the bottom is finishing too quickly the first thing I would do is just move the rack up much closer to the top. That will help out with more radiative heat hitting the top of the pie instead of the bottom. Also maybe just use even more olive oil in the pan so it fries up a bit vs getting burny.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

For a deep dish pizza (cast iron or lloyds, doesn't matter) I just use a LOT of olive oil. When it cooks you should see a layer of oil boiling between the pan edge and your crust edge.

For a cast iron skillet it offers the added benefit of leaving your pan smooth and shiny.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

For a deep dish pizza (cast iron or lloyds, doesn't matter) I just use a LOT of olive oil. When it cooks you should see a layer of oil boiling between the pan edge and your crust edge.

For a cast iron skillet it offers the added benefit of leaving your pan smooth and shiny.

Yeah this is legit advice. You basically can't use too much, the dough just soaks out in and gets more tasty/crunchy.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

some recent pies!

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

the other thing ive experienced with deep dish pizzas is letting it sit for 5 minutes after pulling it out, it lets the interior finish cooking from carryover heat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aruan posted:

the other thing ive experienced with deep dish pizzas is letting it sit for 5 minutes after pulling it out, it lets the interior finish cooking from carryover heat.

good move. tbh i don’t like to eat almost any pizza - maybe some small neapolitans - directly from the oven anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mediaphage posted:

good move. tbh i don’t like to eat almost any pizza - maybe some small neapolitans - directly from the oven anyway.

If you don't leave the sauce to set again before cutting, too many styles will just make that crust you worked hard to crisp soggy. I throw most of my pizzas on a baking rack after they come out to keep that crisp.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
We put up a two pizza and wings combo for the Big Game, one we pulled from a past pizza for Tampa Bay and the other our chef worked on over the last week or two to put together. The wings were done by a friend of ours who runs a Jamaican patty shop, so he did a little Jamaican jerk and smoke job on a big ol' pile of meaty wings for us.

The El Jefe - Cubano style pizza with marinated slow roasted pork, sliced ham, shredded Swiss cheese, Chef's mojo mustard, home made pickles, cilantro, and chicharrones. This thing slaps hard.

The Home Sweet Mahomes - KC BBQ style pork, shredded Swiss/mozz, Chef's KC BBQ sauce, home made coleslaw, fried tobacco onions, and microgreens. Just loving good.

And the wings were incredible as well.

It was a fun day slinging pizzas, the weather was perfect to be outside. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

For cast iron deep dish my usual method is:

1) take it out when the cheese starts to brown

2) crisp the bottom up on a stovetop burner for a couple minutes

3) remove the heat but leave it in the pan for another five minutes

4) slide it out of the pan onto a wire rack for another 5-10

5) slide onto a big cutting board for slicing

I think a big part of my recent success of removing entire pizzas from the pan without tearing the cheese ring on the edge is because I'm giving it a couple minutes to just set itself and harden before i mess with it at all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ogopogo posted:

We put up a two pizza and wings combo for the Big Game, one we pulled from a past pizza for Tampa Bay and the other our chef worked on over the last week or two to put together. The wings were done by a friend of ours who runs a Jamaican patty shop, so he did a little Jamaican jerk and smoke job on a big ol' pile of meaty wings for us.

The El Jefe - Cubano style pizza with marinated slow roasted pork, sliced ham, shredded Swiss cheese, Chef's mojo mustard, home made pickles, cilantro, and chicharrones. This thing slaps hard.

The Home Sweet Mahomes - KC BBQ style pork, shredded Swiss/mozz, Chef's KC BBQ sauce, home made coleslaw, fried tobacco onions, and microgreens. Just loving good.

And the wings were incredible as well.

It was a fun day slinging pizzas, the weather was perfect to be outside. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

get inside me

they look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The pans I was using were 18x13 aluminum half-pans. The oven has been measuring pretty consistently.

The reason I also wanted to reduce the temperature was that I expect the top to get obliterated if I maintain the temperature while moving the pizzas up. The tops were looking pretty decent.

I let them carry over for about 15 minutes before I de-panned them. I guess I should note I did have a harder time sliding these off than previous batches I made (with thinner dough).