Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zathril posted:

Never has the "Don't go there!" button been more appropriate.

Yeah :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I've heard some really good things about the Atlier Ryza games, but I tried Atelier Firis ages ago and think I stopped playing before I even got to any gameplay, because the anime stuff really annoyed me, and it went on for so long. Is it worth putting the Ryza stuff on a wishlist for sales, or am I likely to run into the same stuff that turned me off of Firis?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Atelier series are all fundamentally the same kind of game with the same aesthetic. If the style of Firis annoyed you, you won't like Ryza (or any other Atelier game) any better.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm makes sense- thanks!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

We have someone who works at CDPR so Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 are technically goon-made as well!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
And then there's that one goon who gets an annual one dollar check for every Madden, because he wrote some code in the 90s. :v:

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Is this by the same people who made Carrion? It looks pretty exactly like the sections of that game where you control a human character for a while.

No, it's not the same people.

It also plays much better than those sections in carrion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Flimf posted:

It also plays much better than those sections in carrion.
Yeah, I can believe that even just based on that short gif. Those sections were just so generally awful and pointless that the bar for doing better is pretty much flush with the ground.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Twelve hours into Yakuza Kiwami 1, I... think I like it a lot more than 0. As it's the first game in the series it does a better job (for me) of introducing the characters and making me care, and I am deeply concerned for Haruka and whatever the hell happened to Nishiki, and it's just... the darker atmosphere makes it more bittersweet when I get a victory. And then it contrasts weirdly/better with the extremely goofy sidestories.

Basically - unlike in 0, I'm invested, and I want to see what's next, and I look forward to playing every time I realize I have time for it. I'm also really hoping that by the time I finish the rest of the series I'll be more hyped and ready to play 0, as I'll be pre-invested in the characters.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

One of the reasons I usually suggest that people don't start with Y0 is pretty much exactly that - even if it's chronologically the first game in the series, it's game made for people who are already familiar with the Yakuza series and care about these people. It was the first one I ever played and while it's in every sense an excellent game, it's also not one that particularly bothers explaining itself to you. It just assumes you already know.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh... I know my standard advice to friends who start with Y0 has been "The second guy's story is way better, don't give up on it unless you've done an hour or two of Majima and still aren't having fun." I think his story is just generally more engaging than Kiryu's, but I wonder if the fact that his half was much more heavily a character origin story helped.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The riftbreaker demo is worth a look, sort of base building tower defense sci fi Diablo. Very pretty too.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Dreylad posted:

Tried Loop Hero and it's pretty fun! You do everything but directly control your hero who wanders the same loop while you stack different tiles in different arrangements to affect the board, equip items the hero collects. The initial tiles you can generate come from a deck you build. There's also a camp/town building mechanic that unlocks bonuses and new cards as you gather resources from your hero's expeditions, with the ultimate goal of your hero surviving long enough to summon the boss of the stage and killing him.

Part of the fun comes in figuring out how different tiles interact with each other that the game doesn't explicitly tell you about, like putting boulders/mountains in a 3x3 pattern turns all of them into a mountain peak that gives your hero a big boost to HP and sends harpies down to the path. Looks like the final game will have a lot of buildings to unlock and several different heroes to play, and quite a few levels.

I've been waiting to get my hands on Loop Hero ever since I heard it mentioned on the subforum (might have been the Idle games thread?).

The gameplay, the retro aesthetic, the little story bits that pop up... I'm loving all of the demo. Praying to the RNG gods while my adventurer takes on 3 spiders and a vampire when I'm not careful enough with tile placement.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I gave Flippfly's SNES Starfox-inspired Whisker Squadron demo a couple hours and it feels like Race the Sun was retooled into a starfox game, complete with the same 3 or 4 chunks of level layout & obstacles procedurally repeated throughout every level. It's pretty undercooked, buggy as hell, and the roguelike elements just aren't well balanced. The upgrades are so expensive and health restoration items so rare that it's pretty unlikely you'll buy anything but "restore shields" from shops. The only time I could afford a mechanical upgrade and had ample health, nothing but "restore shields" appeared in the shop. :rolleyes:

Aspects of it really have that 3D FX Starfox feel though, and I'm very into that. SNES Starfox was absolutely my poo poo and this has got me stoked on it, so I'm looking for any recommendations that ape on that game specifically.

e; I answered my own wishes, and found Ex Zodiac which also has a demo up for the festival, funny enough.

treat fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 4, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Oh yeah, hot dog. Ex Zodiac feels real good and absolutely has that 3DFX thing going on. I'm gonna give the demo a solid recommend

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is a good week for furry games. beacon pines and farmer princess are very good demos

fun demos: escape simulator, beacon pines, farmer princess

meh demos: the frog prince, steel assault (level design seemed like an afterthought), astalon

bad demos: shattered ninja

extremely baffling and inscrutable demo: "tamarind's freaking dinner"

i thought that the whisker squadron demo was fine and the actual playability is pretty refined, but the UI is just sort of slapped together and as the poster above mentioned, the procgen is very basic. so i wouldn't say it was meh but i wouldn't put it in the great category either

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 4, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Glitchpunk is stylish gta1 with cyberbits, worth a look if maybe a little cluttered

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Glitchpunk is: gta1; hobby-grade cyberbits etc etc

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Twelve hours into Yakuza Kiwami 1, I... think I like it a lot more than 0. As it's the first game in the series it does a better job (for me) of introducing the characters and making me care, and I am deeply concerned for Haruka and whatever the hell happened to Nishiki, and it's just... the darker atmosphere makes it more bittersweet when I get a victory. And then it contrasts weirdly/better with the extremely goofy sidestories.

Basically - unlike in 0, I'm invested, and I want to see what's next, and I look forward to playing every time I realize I have time for it. I'm also really hoping that by the time I finish the rest of the series I'll be more hyped and ready to play 0, as I'll be pre-invested in the characters.

I started Kiwami recently too, spurred by the remaster releases. Probably going to 100% it just like 0... though I can't believe I have to manage 3 carom shots in pool again.

0 if one of my favorite games of all time though and I'm happy I played it first, I'm not super far into Kiwami but so far I feel like a lot of the moments in both games are stronger that way around, particularly in characters' entrance and death scenes. Already knowing the structure and some of the background of the various families and whatnot helps a lot in keeping track of who's who as well as so far Kiwami has only gone over that stuff real briefly. There's some mechanical polish like the inclusion of actual autosaves and also it's funny to see all the stuff they recycled from 0 with (or without) a new coat of paint.

Basically it feels like 0-lite and the cutscenes and some of the busywork ("Get dog food! Now go get water! Now go get a plate!") have a clear PS2-era pace to them especially coming from that game, but I'll happily take another serving of the same and as far as I'm concerned they can keep injecting the series directly into my veins forever.

E:

Also I know it's not the most recent engine in the series, but the city itself still looks real good especially now that there's a supersampling option that even my aging 970 can run.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 4, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pretty surprised to hear this honestly, the overwhelming response from Yakuza fans is to start with Zero which I personally did and I found it way more hilarious and memorable than Kiwami, but to each his own, and hey I'm now halfway through Yak 3 with the rest of the series stretching out in front of me so alls well that ends well

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit: This is free, about 1/2 of a typical LiS episode worth of content and just gives backstory to a character you meet in Eps 2. Does a pretty good job of capturing the tension and anxiety of what it would be like to grow up in the house with an alcoholic father. Friendly and loving in the morning as he cracks beers with breakfast, then tries to play it cool while grabbing a bottle of liquor to drink while watching the sports game. It's a nice little piece of content that shows they can handle this stuff without leaning on excessive drama. It's not even about showing the behavior, it's creating the sense of tension and anxiety for the kid trying to move around the house while you hear the dad yelling and cursing at the TV before he passes out.

LiS 2 Episode 2 Rules: So what becomes abundantly clear, and a major reason google searching "lis 2 daniel" will bring up "annoying" as the 2nd result is a lot of his behavior in the game is guided by what he has seen you do so far and how you treat him. In order words, he'll be a lying spoiled rear end in a top hat if he's seen you steal up to a certain threshold and if you aren't super firm with enforcing rules and discipline on him.

afaik there's 3 invisible counters for Daniel's behavior
- when he's encouraged/discouraged to use his powers (for further use of his powers)
- when he sees Sean lie/steal (for Daniel also lying or stealing)
- when Sean lets him get away with not listening or following rules (for Daniel disobeying Sean)

They're all counted absent context too, so if he sees Sean steal for survival or lie to protect them, he'll still mimic the behavior in non-essential situations like stealing from someone who is helping you. If he's encouraged to use his power to save someone, it'll also mean he's more likely to use it for risky/frivolous stuff.

Other then that there are 2 examples where you get a option to pick agree/disagree and if you picked disagree the plot just carries on like you picked "agree". That's either bad writing or they couldn't figure out an alternative for that bit in which case they should've just not given you a choice.

The one big thing about LiS2 is that there is no real mystery going on for each episode. It's all a pretty somber drama about escape and survival, so the episodic model doesn't resonant as well. There's really no hype for "what happens next time" so far it's just been more of a get ready for next town you find yourself in. I'm not champing at the bit to find out what happens next, so if I had played this on episode release my hype level for the next episode would be pretty low.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In LiS 2 the game tracks Daniel's responses on two axes: Power and Morality. If Sean encourages Daniel to use his powers more often, he'll eventually start to use them to resolve future situations even without Sean's input. If Sean lies, steals, and swears more often, then Daniel will start to mimic his behavior. Conversely if Sean is more polite, law-abiding and cooperative, then Daniel will still ask for your permission. Note that "morality" does not always mean "right" here. It's actually a pretty complex system because in later episodes you sometimes won't get a choice at all for how Daniel uses his powers if you encourage him to go full super-saiyan in every scenario.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I started the Yakuza series with 0 and knew nothing about the story beforehand. It was a perfect experience. I'm glad I didn't start with Kiwami because that could have ended up being the last game of the series that I'd play as the gameplay loop + fetch quests started getting tiring by the end.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm on 5 now, and I can definitely see the argument for playing 0 after some of the other games. Playing it first, there were a lot of obvious "call forwards" that I knew were supposed to be meaningful but didn't actually mean anything to me yet. I don't think the play order makes a huge difference, but I liked the rest of the series enough that starting with 1 would have been fine, and 0 would have been more novel after seeing these characters in their main series versions for a while. I mean there's a reason a lot of people are kind of disappointed with Majima's ending in 0. I know he was a popular character even before that game, but he's way more interesting in 0 than he is in the rest of it, so getting the best version first makes his later portrayal (not including Kiwami 2) a bit of a letdown. Given the way the Kiwami games call back to 0 though, it's still the best place to start at this point.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 4, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm just playing Y0 now, and its certainly got me interested in the rest of the series, although its long enough that I'll probably take a pause afterwards. The thought of playing 7 more installments is frankly pretty daunting so I'm fine with playing a recent one first.

The level of difficulty is perfect, which really surprised me since fighting games so often are geared towards challenge. Playing on normal the game isn't particularly hard, but fighting with style is a great self-imposed challenge which I can always improve on.

The mini-games and social elements are weirdly reminiscent of some of the Grand Theft Auto games. I'm wondering if Rockstar was intentionally aping Yakuza and similiar Japanese games.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

The mini-games and social elements are weirdly reminiscent of some of the Grand Theft Auto games. I'm wondering if Rockstar was intentionally aping Yakuza and similiar Japanese games.
Fairly sure GTA is quite a bit older than Yakuza.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure GTA is quite a bit older than Yakuza.

Huh, had to look it up and San Andreas (which is the first GTA to go balls out with the minigames IIRC) is from 2004 while Yakuza came out in 2005. I guess it's a coincidence.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Another demo that I dont think has been mentioned is Dap.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1372210/Dap/

Some sort of unholy combination between Pikmin, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and maybe that Introversion game, Darwinia.
I'm not really sure what's going on but it's weird and kinda creepy.

quote:

Dap is a top-down action-adventure game with horror elements. Explore a hostile forest world and gather a following of cute and creepy little creatures called Daps.
Fight monstrous creatures and solve puzzles, discover a lush atmospheric forest full of secrets and oddities, and try to avoid the deadly infection which turns your creatures into monsters.
Or take a break from the action and tend to your garden in the Spirit world while you unravel the secrets of Dap’s world.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I'm on 5 now, and I can definitely see the argument for playing 0 after some of the other games. Playing it first, there were a lot of obvious "call forwards" that I knew were supposed to be meaningful but didn't actually mean anything to me yet. I don't think the play order makes a huge difference, but I liked the rest of the series enough that starting with 1 would have been fine, and 0 would have been more novel after seeing these characters in their main series versions for a while. I mean there's a reason a lot of people are kind of disappointed with Majima's ending in 0. I know he was a popular character even before that game, but he's way more interesting in 0 than he is in the rest of it, so getting the best version first makes his later portrayal (not including Kiwami 2) a bit of a letdown. Given the way the Kiwami games call back to 0 though, it's still the best place to start at this point.

Majima in particular is a mess (as a character) because he went from a deranged villain dangerously obsessed with Kiryu in the original Yakuza 1 to more and more of a comedy sidekick as the series went on until 0 when he became a main character and had to actually do stuff but had to eventually turn into something resembling his original deranged character in Yakuza 1/Yakuza Kiwami but also had to be combined with the comedy sidekick in Kiwami 1 because that's what he was in all the other main games and spin-offs.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'd say all things considered, you should probably start with 0 because it's a top-tier game that'll ensure you get interested and stay interested in the series long enough to play the other games, while you might get turned off by the really old design and story decisions in some of the remakes if you start with those.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. I need some help. I temporarily quit XIV cause I haven't been in the mood to play but I still want the MMO kinda feel. I'm kinda torn between Destiny 2,since I played 1 until I finished Taken King's storyline, or Path of Exile because I've got some broken rear end builds going. Are there any other free to play MMOs I can look at to maybe get an idea?

On a side note, I'm almost finally done with Hitman 1 and even knowing the big reveal, the setup is awesome. I'm hoping Epic gives Hitman 2 away for free so I can keep playing. Alternately, if the developers set up a "you can transfer from Steam\Epic to whatever", I'd buy it when it goes cheap.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kibayasu posted:

Majima in particular is a mess (as a character) because he went from a deranged villain dangerously obsessed with Kiryu in the original Yakuza 1 to more and more of a comedy sidekick as the series went on until 0 when he became a main character and had to actually do stuff but had to eventually turn into something resembling his original deranged character in Yakuza 1/Yakuza Kiwami but also had to be combined with the comedy sidekick in Kiwami 1 because that's what he was in all the other main games and spin-offs.

Uh, I'm going to assume you either didn't play Yakuza 4 and 5 or are not remembering it well enough, because both of those expanded on Majima significantly and explain why he acts the way he does. Yakuza 0, which came out later than those two, just made him a main character so you are in his head, not just seeing how he presents himself. 0 doesn't contradict itself or the rest of the series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mind you, the pivotal story element in majima's backstory is extremely silly, and not in a good way

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, I'm going to assume you either didn't play Yakuza 4 and 5 or are not remembering it well enough, because both of those expanded on Majima significantly and explain why he acts the way he does. Yakuza 0, which came out later than those two, just made him a main character so you are in his head, not just seeing how he presents himself. 0 doesn't contradict itself or the rest of the series.
Contradiction isn't the problem there so much as that it makes the character feel a bit schizophrenic if that is your first contact with him, in the 'of two minds' kind of sense. Kiwami 1 suffers from that as well because it contains both his original characterization and the sillier elements that are where they get the Majima Everywhere mechanic from. The man you see in the original game is not the type to hide under a giant traffic cone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I couldn’t find a thread on it but how is Mutant Year Zero?

I started watching a LP and it seems pretty good so far but I don’t wanna spoil it if it’s really good.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I loved 0, but I found that Kiwami flowed a bit better story wise even with its age. Switching characters at every climax and also dealing with tutorials for half of the game made 0 drag a bit.

I'll eventually get around to the rest of the series.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I need some help. I temporarily quit XIV cause I haven't been in the mood to play but I still want the MMO kinda feel. I'm kinda torn between Destiny 2,since I played 1 until I finished Taken King's storyline, or Path of Exile because I've got some broken rear end builds going. Are there any other free to play MMOs I can look at to maybe get an idea?

On a side note, I'm almost finally done with Hitman 1 and even knowing the big reveal, the setup is awesome. I'm hoping Epic gives Hitman 2 away for free so I can keep playing. Alternately, if the developers set up a "you can transfer from Steam\Epic to whatever", I'd buy it when it goes cheap.

Fly, you fool! Take the opportunity to free yourself from MMOs! Ok, joking aside, maybe you can move over to Guild Wars 2 or ESO, as they both have a ton of free core content? Maybe DFO or Vindictus for faster action?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I started watching a LP and it seems pretty good so far but I don’t wanna spoil it if it’s really good.

I played it last year and liked it. The tactics portion of the game gets very repetitive as you optimize your strategies, but the game ended soon enough after I was getting sick of it that I don't really hold it against it. I definitely think all the latest XCom games are superior but Mutant Year Zero is better than Phoenix Point, Mechanicus, and Phantom Doctrine IMO.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

sebmojo posted:

Glitchpunk is stylish gta1 with cyberbits, worth a look if maybe a little cluttered

As someone who likes small-c cyberpunk and thinks the GTA series peaked at 2, this is giving me ~feelings~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

It's ok. The plot is just ok. The exploring and world building is what I liked most. Difficulty is very uneven. And the abilities/skills/weapons are all pretty boring. The game is also not very deep.

I would say it's passable if you like tactics games. Hard skip if you don't.