Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

When is the big Kia electric car event? I saw their "teaser" a few weeks ago and the full reveal is in February but nothing actually says when...It looked like one of the cars was a compact hatch and I'm very interested in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Humerus posted:

When is the big Kia electric car event? I saw their "teaser" a few weeks ago and the full reveal is in February but nothing actually says when...It looked like one of the cars was a compact hatch and I'm very interested in that.

Same but for a larger crossover/van! Looks like they are announcing quite the range of vehicles from that teaser.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
You can purchase a car for at or close to 0% interest. At 4% inflation the "value" of the loan goes down every year. Credit cards are 5-30% interest. You are better off paying off your credit cards entirely, putting your car down payment into a bond or ETF and then letting the insurance company carry the risk on your depreciating asset through GAP coverage.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shamino posted:

You can purchase a car for at or close to 0% interest. At 4% inflation the "value" of the loan goes down every year. Credit cards are 5-30% interest. You are better off paying off your credit cards entirely, putting your car down payment into a bond or ETF and then letting the insurance company carry the risk on your depreciating asset through GAP coverage.

You lost me at how the bond part. I can pay off my credit card debt either next paycheck or 3, it's only about 3k and I've been meaning to anyways.

I don't understand the mechanics of which you speak.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Imagine you have $10,000 for a car and you have $3333.33 to put down. Instead of putting it down you take a 36 month 0% 0 down loan and you put that $3333.33 into a bond and next year you have $3466.66 in bond value and you've paid $3333 into your loan in payments. The buying power of the dollar falls 3%, meaning that $6666 remaining balance is "worth less."

At the end of the three years your $3333 is worth almost $4000 due to compounding interest. (Though inflation means you $4000 in savings has also lost buying power.)

Alternative scenario: You buy a $10,000 car, put $1500 down, and get tboned driving it off the lot. Because the car depreciated instantly when you drove it off the lot the insurance company only cuts you a check for $8000 and gap covers the remaining $500. You now have no new down payment and no car.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Shamino posted:

Imagine you have $10,000 for a car and you have $3333.33 to put down. Instead of putting it down you take a 36 month 0% 0 down loan and you put that $3333.33 into a bond and next year you have $3466.66 in bond value and you've paid $3333 into your loan in payments. The buying power of the dollar falls 3%, meaning that $6666 remaining balance is "worth less."

At the end of the three years your $3333 is worth almost $4000 due to compounding interest. (Though inflation means you $4000 in savings has also lost buying power.)

Alternative scenario: You buy a $10,000 car, put $1500 down, and get tboned driving it off the lot. Because the car depreciated instantly when you drove it off the lot the insurance company only cuts you a check for $8000 and gap covers the remaining $500. You now have no new down payment and no car.

It seems to me that someone with a credit score in the 650 range is unlikely to qualify for 0% financing with 0 down. That also likely requires buying a new car to get a manufacturer incentive rate instead of a more sensible used car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
None of which matters to his explanation, goon.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'll be willing to give it a shot, I'm down for any ProTips.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The basic idea is that any time you're asked to put a thousand dollars down on some object, you should take a look at whether you can put that thousand dollars into investing instead and whether that's going to get you more money over the length of the object's expected lifespan.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Speleothing posted:

The basic idea is that any time you're asked to put a thousand dollars down on some object, you should take a look at whether you can put that thousand dollars into investing instead and whether that's going to get you more money over the length of the object's expected lifespan.

Although, at some point you have to make a judgement call of how urgently you need the thing, and what alternatives do you have to get around it. In a more literal case, I work from home, I drive a small distance, there is no public transit, anything worth seeing in this state is at least 30 minutes of a drive away, and I'm not walking home holding bags of groceries.

Ostensibly, I could instead buy a bike, though I tend to go 13 miles away anywhere from 1-7 days a week, which is 2 hours round trip, which otherwise would be 30 minutes in a car. Not going to happen (though, I do want a bike because it would be cool to go drive the car to a park, then unhook a bike from the car's rack to bike around and take pictures, that sort of thing)

Anyways I'm rambling. Yes, the idea would be to pay down debt first, then save up for a decent down payment, see if they'll get me a 0% apr or close to it, and have the downpayment gather interest in a bond or CD or something for when I actually have to start paying interest.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Put another way: last summer my car was totaled. My insurance cut me a check and I went out looking for a replacement. The dealership ended up offering me a 0% interest loan on what I bought. I could have used the cash from the insurance company to pay for the car outright just so I wouldn't have to worry about payments, OR I could take the loan and put the cash into a couple of CDs which pay me interest.

In the second scenario I come out ahead a couple hundred bucks and only have to worry about making sure I can make the monthly payments. If I'd just paid the car off outright I would have lost the potential returns from the CDs.

The interest rates don't have to be 0% for these kinds of judgements to make sense. It's just a simple matter of seeing how much your debts are costing you in interest vs. how much your excess cash could be making you in interest.

Credit card interest is usually usuriously high so it almost always makes sense to pay those off asap

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

At the risk of venturing further off topic, the down payment versus investing decision is a lot simpler with interest rates where they are right now. I just got quoted 2.625% on a 30 year mortgage, and the guy talked me out of putting 20% down. It makes very little sense to pay extra into a mortgage (or any kind of debt) at that rate or lower. If anyone is giving you 0% interest to finance a car, they are paying you to finance it. Don't use your own money.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Tesla recalling MCU1 equipped vehicles, finally.

https://www.tesla.com/support/8gb-emmc-recall-frequently-asked-questions?redirect=no

Looks like they are just swapping the Terga board for one with a modern 64GB eMMC on it. (On the original MCU, the Tegra module + its emmc are on a seperate daughter board attached to the rest of the MCU and can be easily removed.) So its not an upgrade. But at least its a bigger eMMC and a modern one that is likely to last many more write cycles than the original 8GB chip.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Put another way: last summer my car was totaled. My insurance cut me a check and I went out looking for a replacement. The dealership ended up offering me a 0% interest loan on what I bought. I could have used the cash from the insurance company to pay for the car outright just so I wouldn't have to worry about payments, OR I could take the loan and put the cash into a couple of CDs which pay me interest.

In the second scenario I come out ahead a couple hundred bucks and only have to worry about making sure I can make the monthly payments. If I'd just paid the car off outright I would have lost the potential returns from the CDs.

The interest rates don't have to be 0% for these kinds of judgements to make sense. It's just a simple matter of seeing how much your debts are costing you in interest vs. how much your excess cash could be making you in interest.

Credit card interest is usually usuriously high so it almost always makes sense to pay those off asap

Not that I intelligently invested my money as a result, but my Nissan Leaf has a .9% interest rate, and when I got my $7500 federal return back, I definetly didn't push the money into that the loan. It's better off making sure I keep my CC debt at zero and accruing a teensie bit of interest in a money market savings account. Even if the interest roughly cancels out, the money has more utility to me in a liquid state.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Humerus posted:

Hyundai was supposed to have revealed the Ioniq 5 this morning but it seems to have been pushed to mid-February. I imagine the Kia will be around the same time, seeing as the CV5 appears to be a "twin" of the Ioniq 5.

Been keeping my eye on the 5 since the leaked specs are pretty interesting. (313hp, AWD, decent range, large trunk)

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Speaking of leaks, check out this ZOOM ENHANCE shot of the e-tron GT from their preview. Edit courtesy of rimalp on Reddit.

Rated at 21.6-19.9 kWh / 100 km (taycan is 26-21 for reference) so this should be a decent amount more efficient.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Hyundai was supposed to have revealed the Ioniq 5 this morning but it seems to have been pushed to mid-February. I imagine the Kia will be around the same time, seeing as the CV5 appears to be a "twin" of the Ioniq 5.

Been keeping my eye on the 5 since the leaked specs are pretty interesting. (313hp, AWD, decent range, large trunk)

I hadn't seen much on the Ioniq 5 yet, but that's pretty intriguing. I'm kinda digging the look in this stalker video that showed up yesterday.

https://insideevs.com/news/483433/tesla-owner-panel-gaps-hyundai-ioniq-5/

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Bandire posted:

At the risk of venturing further off topic, the down payment versus investing decision is a lot simpler with interest rates where they are right now. I just got quoted 2.625% on a 30 year mortgage, and the guy talked me out of putting 20% down. It makes very little sense to pay extra into a mortgage (or any kind of debt) at that rate or lower. If anyone is giving you 0% interest to finance a car, they are paying you to finance it. Don't use your own money.

This is more of a BFC topic, but there are risks involved in this way of thinking. Mainly regarding the asset losing value and an unexpected life event requiring you to sell the asset and now not have enough money to cover the loan cost.

So from a purely theoretical standpoint its better to have no down payment and instead invest that money elsewhere, but the real world can gently caress you at a moment’s notice.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bandire posted:

I hadn't seen much on the Ioniq 5 yet, but that's pretty intriguing. I'm kinda digging the look in this stalker video that showed up yesterday.

https://insideevs.com/news/483433/tesla-owner-panel-gaps-hyundai-ioniq-5/

All I want is door handles that work in the winter, is that too much to ask?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Nt2QPgVVE

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I ended up getting a call yesterday morning that the Mach-E at the dealership was not ready/available for a test drive. The salesperson didn’t go into detail about what the reason was, so no idea if or when they will have a demo vehicle available for test drives. I am not in a particular rush, but I definitely want to sit in one to see how I fit before I consider ordering one.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Orvin posted:

I ended up getting a call yesterday morning that the Mach-E at the dealership was not ready/available for a test drive. The salesperson didn’t go into detail about what the reason was, so no idea if or when they will have a demo vehicle available for test drives. I am not in a particular rush, but I definitely want to sit in one to see how I fit before I consider ordering one.

Considering the ridiculous hoops i had to jump through to just test drive my escape hybrid id be shocked if the dealers ever let a mach e leave the lot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Norway. (Laughs)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

It bothers me that it says "We're coming Norway" and not "We're coming, Norway"

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Orvin posted:

They're probably busy fixing the inevitable rust spots.

(Not bitter.)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

There was some sort of stop ship or stop sell order issued on the Mach-Es in the middle of January. That is probably what happened to the demo vehicle. And the sales person was out of the loop, so they just saw that something was scheduled to arrive and figured she could drum up a sale. When she actually checked on it, is when she probably found out that something had to be fixed or done to the vehicle before it could be driven.

Or it could be something completely different. But the little bit of searching for out the door prices on enthusiast forums, it seems like only a handful have actually been delivered so far, and those were early January.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hi all,

First things first - thank you all for making this version of EV discussion thread a hell of a lot better behaved. It was at one point dominating reports from AI but it has quietened down significantly now to where there is no need for a thread IK at the moment. There are couple of lingering issues but on the whole awesome!

Second we are now looking for feedback about this thread or ideas like a possible future direction for likely spinning off a second EV thread. What we see as the major areas here are a) News, b) Ownership and c) DIY and we'd be looking to think about how to structure and what should be the focus of either one or two threads. On any future changed threads, Muskchat will still be banned, TSLAQ will still be banned and while we know Tesla are reeeeeeeeally great at punching themselves in the balls over and over again and are prime targets for criticism we want to welcome Tesla owners and employees and not have them feel like there isn't a hostile clique - there's other areas of Something Awful you can be as hostile as you want, we'd like to have a different focus here. We also want to try to draw in more AI regulars who have been avoiding the EV threads over the years due to the problems. We have some cool EV projects about and also AI regulars who also have EV's or are planning to who wont post here - we will like them to feel like they can drop on in as well and know they wont encounter what has made previous EV threads so toxic (As said, this one has been considerably less like that but there still a perception. Hopefully one we can eventually get rid of)

Also we'd love to have some of you who only really frequent the EV thread to mix with us AI regulars and chill out with us - really, we are a pretty chill and cool group (mostly)

Either toss me a PM or reply in thread. Thanks :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think small DIY questions should probably be lumped in with an EV ownership thread (which would also have a strong component of charging infrastructure installation tips, etc), but bigger DIY stuff should go in normal project threads just like ICE stuff would. I think an EV thread tag would be useful.

News I'm not sure how to handle. Maybe resurrecting a consolidated news thread with both ICE and EV? back in the day there was a lot more EV vaporware, hype, and niche stuff - now it's far more mainstream and well developed so I don't know that it makes sense to segregate them. I'm interested in both and I suspect a lot of "AI regulars" are, too. Some EV people may not be interested in ICE car news, so perhaps a combined thread would be less useful for some users.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

The drive by poo poo posting from people who have no interest in EVs or even cars in general to "concern troll" about Tesla panel gaps or God knows what else is really obnoxious.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I'm about as far from a car guy as there is, and I don't have a DIY bone in my body, but I'm very EV-interested and use this thread primarily for news, charging discussion, and first-hand experiences for people with various EVs. This is the only AI thread I read, unless I'm really bored.

I don't have strong feelings either way about Tesla, and while the occasional slapfight is probably unavoidable (and honestly defensive Tesla owners are as much of a problem for this sort of thing as drive-by poo poo posters, who can just be probated and we can all move on), I think the mods have done a very good job of keeping this on track.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I don't feel this thread moves fast enough to warrant a split, really. If and when it becomes unfollowable because of volume, a news/speculation thread and an owners/diy thread seems like the sanest option. I do realize that jumping in at the end of a clique-ey megathread can feel weird so maybe time for mk4 just to reboot that aspect.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shamino posted:

The drive by poo poo posting from people
I agree! Posts like this one are obnoxious;

Shamino posted:

Wheel is stupid feature ugg only need ungabunga and fire

One bit of feedback: bypassing driver safety features should be a threadban. I think a catchall EV Conversions, Projects and Mods thread would be good. Would be nice to see people getting creative and the challenges it might entail

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 4, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 6, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rivan's entry into the market, Biden's push for electrification, VW's slate and GM's 2030s goal will lead to a lot of interesting talk for sure.

Wait, how are we supposed to be the cool calm chat when LOL Powerwall is part of the thread title?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

I don't feel this thread moves fast enough to warrant a split, really. If and when it becomes unfollowable because of volume, a news/speculation thread and an owners/diy thread seems like the sanest option. I do realize that jumping in at the end of a clique-ey megathread can feel weird so maybe time for mk4 just to reboot that aspect.

I also feel like a split probably isn't necessary. This thread is probably the easiest of my bookmarks to keep up with. Splitting it between a news thread and current owners thread would be fine if that's what is needed though.

A reboot geared toward the rapid expansion of EVs from mainstream manufacturers might be a good idea though.

Also I always felt like my posts about my escape hybrid didn't quite fit here, but didn't really see anywhere else in AI to bring them up, so adding that that into the reboot OP might help generate some cross thread traffic.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I feel like the ev news could be moved to the standard car news thread, as long as it keeps the “no Tesla talk whatsoever beside vehicle discussion” rule.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The only aftermarket car stuff I'd be interested would be circumventing buying trim levels stuff, but I am also not mechanically inclined (electrical computers and some woodworking/masonry primarily) so it doesn't do me much good anyways :haw:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I personally don't think a split is needed YET, maybe in a few years. There's a good mix of discussion and flow in here. Sometimes, even with all the different topics, the thread won't get any new posts for a few days so I don't think it's really going super fast or anything, but sometimes I do worry I'm spamming too much news in here.

And while I'm not opposed to mingling elsewhere in AI, I basically just browse SA by my bookmarks at this point. I wouldn't be opposed to EV news going into another thread, but I think that's going to get a lot of (rightful?) mocking of brands still proudly debuting brand new ICE badges like there aren't bans on new ICE vehicles coming in a decade.

At some point there won't be an "ev thread," because at some point in the near future, they'll just be the norm. Perhaps we'll instead have an "ICE thread" as they dwindle. But I think that's a ways off.

Lastly the thread title is hilarious, and I hope it stays.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Westy543 posted:

...I basically just browse SA by my bookmarks at this point.
Same.

And I also don't think we need a split at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I agree with no split, an owner's thread would be dead pretty quickly.

I vehemently oppose moving EV news to the general news thread, that thread moves too fast, and is really weirdly toxic.

Big EV news usually ends up in both threads, but who cares?