Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Vaush got un-banned from Twitch. Says he'll still be a YouTube streamer, mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHMCeSKRQIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SMG was funny on occasion but I check out whenever he c/p's a zizek wall

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I pick bad days to zone out and watch wrestling all day

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

Papa Shango was a pretty racist idea for a character, but in retrospect he really struck a blow against racism when he made Ultimate Warrior vomit at Wrestlemania.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

volts5000 posted:

Vaush got un-banned from Twitch. Says he'll still be a YouTube streamer, mostly.

What a shame.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Papa Shango was a pretty racist idea for a character, but in retrospect he really struck a blow against racism when he made Ultimate Warrior vomit at Wrestlemania.

He was better as Kama Mustafa, the supreme fighting machine.

Kickin'
A
Man's
rear end

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Would you say..... this is madness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYZRskNV3w

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Christ I'm old.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That’s got big All Your Base energy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thanks I could feel my hair turning grey as soon as this loaded.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

He was better as Kama Mustafa, the supreme fighting machine.

Kickin'
A
Man's
rear end

from a voodoo priest to an Ultimate Fighting Machine to a pimp

what a line of gimmicks Charles Wright ended up with

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

volts5000 posted:

Looking forward to panel shows devolving into yelling matches even faster now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If you told me yesterday that I'd watch a 90 minute video of some butchers breaking down beef and bison as a comparison I'd have called you a liar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld_oeOLT4G4

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Even if the rest of it had nothing good, but it does, Bret Hart's book is nuts for the story talking about just how much of a scummy rear end in a top hat UW was.

“I got to see exactly what kind of champion Warrior was during a show in Omaha. Propped up on a stretcher a few feet outside of the dressing room was a Make-A-Wish kid who looked to be down to his last few hours. There was not a hair left on his head, and not even his Warrior face paint could mask his sad eyes. Sickly pale and barely breathing through a ventilator tube, the boy wore a purple Warrior T-shirt and green and orange tassels tied around his biceps to honor his hero. His mother and father and an older brother and sister were with him, patiently waiting for the promised encounter with The Ultimate Warrior.

I bent over to say hello, as did all the other wrestlers on the way into the dressing room. It was odd, but there was Warrior actually sitting with us: He usually kept to himself in his private dressing room. By the time the third match started, a WWF public relations rep poked his head in and politely asked Warrior if he was ready to meet the dying boy. Warrior grunted, "In a fuckin’ minute. I’m busy." I thought to myself, Busy doing what, talking to a bunch of guys you can’t stand anyway?

As the night wore on, the family waited just outside the dressing room door, the boy hanging on to his dying wish to meet his hero. As I was returning to the dressing room after my match, I was relieved to see that they weren’t there anymore; I assumed that the kid’s wish had come true.

Warrior’s entrance music played while Jim and I quickly showered in hopes of beating the crowd out of the building. We’d have to hurry since Warrior never went over ten minutes. We dressed, grabbed our bags, and took off. As we rounded a corner down a backstage ramp, we came upon the boy and his weary family, who had been moved there so as not to get in the way of Warrior’s entrance. I thought, That lousy piece of poo poo. He’d made them wait all night, unable to summon the compassion to see this real little warrior. Hogan, Randy, and countless others, including André, never hesitated to take the time to meet a sick, dying kid. My disgust for Warrior magnified a thousand times. To me, he was a coward, a weakling, and a phony hero.”

:captainpop:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Even if the rest of it had nothing good, but it does, Bret Hart's book is nuts for the story talking about just how much of a scummy rear end in a top hat UW was.

“I got to see exactly what kind of champion Warrior was during a show in Omaha. Propped up on a stretcher a few feet outside of the dressing room was a Make-A-Wish kid who looked to be down to his last few hours. There was not a hair left on his head, and not even his Warrior face paint could mask his sad eyes. Sickly pale and barely breathing through a ventilator tube, the boy wore a purple Warrior T-shirt and green and orange tassels tied around his biceps to honor his hero. His mother and father and an older brother and sister were with him, patiently waiting for the promised encounter with The Ultimate Warrior.

I bent over to say hello, as did all the other wrestlers on the way into the dressing room. It was odd, but there was Warrior actually sitting with us: He usually kept to himself in his private dressing room. By the time the third match started, a WWF public relations rep poked his head in and politely asked Warrior if he was ready to meet the dying boy. Warrior grunted, "In a fuckin’ minute. I’m busy." I thought to myself, Busy doing what, talking to a bunch of guys you can’t stand anyway?

As the night wore on, the family waited just outside the dressing room door, the boy hanging on to his dying wish to meet his hero. As I was returning to the dressing room after my match, I was relieved to see that they weren’t there anymore; I assumed that the kid’s wish had come true.

Warrior’s entrance music played while Jim and I quickly showered in hopes of beating the crowd out of the building. We’d have to hurry since Warrior never went over ten minutes. We dressed, grabbed our bags, and took off. As we rounded a corner down a backstage ramp, we came upon the boy and his weary family, who had been moved there so as not to get in the way of Warrior’s entrance. I thought, That lousy piece of poo poo. He’d made them wait all night, unable to summon the compassion to see this real little warrior. Hogan, Randy, and countless others, including André, never hesitated to take the time to meet a sick, dying kid. My disgust for Warrior magnified a thousand times. To me, he was a coward, a weakling, and a phony hero.”

:captainpop:

poo poo.

There goes my attempt as going for a full day without feeling rage that causes my teeth to clench so hard they squeal. And it's barely noon!

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Sephyr posted:

There goes my attempt as going for a full day without feeling rage that causes my teeth to clench so hard they squeal. And it's barely noon!

If it helps he's dead.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Queer Salutations posted:

If it helps he's dead.

YMMV.

Wiki posted:

In 2015, WWE introduced the Warrior Award for those who have "exhibited unwavering strength and perseverance, and who lives life with the courage and compassion that embodies the indomitable spirit of the Ultimate Warrior." ... The award was created following The Ultimate Warrior's death.

"compassion"

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

This shouldn’t have come as a surprise after he raped Santa, honestly.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's astounding that in a field full of notorious unrepentant assholes Ultimate Warrior managed to out do them all.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah, sadly they've tried real hard to whitewash UW's image, to no avail among the people that actually knew any of his bullshit, but your average viewer who probly just saw his promos and some of the big ticket matches might buy it. Cause honestly, the only thing a lot of people remember him for is the doofy promos anyway, his ring skills were poo poo and much of what he did could've been done by literally any other beefy cokehead of the time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

It's astounding that in a field full of notorious unrepentant assholes Ultimate Warrior managed to out do them all.

Yeah, it's incredible how he pulls this off, he even managed to out-rear end in a top hat Hulk Hogan. Which I didn't thought possible. But (looking back at the Ultimate Warrior comics) maybe I should have expected this.

Anyway, if Hulk Hogan can step next to you and look like a hero, you maybe should loving rethink some of your life choices, imho

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm depressed how I burnt out of wrestling; I just can't watch the COVID shows and most of the things I like are filled with rapists and nonces and trying to post enjoyment of like NXT would just get me looked like a weirdo (I created a new NXT thread because the original thread was made by someone who jumped on AEW and just kept remaking thread titles making fun of NXT)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The whole Warrior/WWE thing was weird. They went from hardcore making GBS threads on UW, even putting out a DVD called "The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior". It had interviews with then current WWE roster talking about how much of a incomprehensible weirdo UW was, to inducting him into the hall of fame..

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Current wrestling is a thing I love, but I sure as hell won't pay for anything WWE, or indeed watch them at all.

Archer666 posted:

The whole Warrior/WWE thing was weird. They went from hardcore making GBS threads on UW, even putting out a DVD called "The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior". It had interviews with then current WWE roster talking about how much of a incomprehensible weirdo UW was, to inducting him into the hall of fame..

They were going to do the same thing to Bret Hart before they patched things up and Bret started working with them again. Bret's a bit of a dingus but not exactly malicious like Warrior was. So yeah, none of that's ever been about anything but money and whether the company considers you an enemy or not. Course I'm sure you know that as all fans do, gently caress this company

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 4, 2021

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Archer666 posted:

The whole Warrior/WWE thing was weird. They went from hardcore making GBS threads on UW, even putting out a DVD called "The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior". It had interviews with then current WWE roster talking about how much of a incomprehensible weirdo UW was, to inducting him into the hall of fame.

The WWE seems surprisingly easy to forgive, long as you have enough clout to your name. As far as I heard, Bret Hart returned to WWE because they were planning to make a DVD in the style of the "Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior". WWE managed to get Bret to come back and not end up making him look bad in the DVD set they did put out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jimbot posted:

What a shame.

Vaush sucks but the reason he was banned was very stupid. Kinda funny Twitch is like Twitter where they take forever to unban you with no explanation. I went five months appealing a Twitter ban and then one day my account was live and I never got an email or anything.

Also can't he stream both at the same time?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
WTYP on Gulf State Vanity Projects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW6lg-7L7yk

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also can't he stream both at the same time?

He should be able to. Destiny does it after getting unpartnered.

Kim Justice posted:

Current wrestling is a thing I love, but I sure as hell won't pay for anything WWE, or indeed watch them at all.

They were going to do the same thing to Bret Hart before they patched things up and Bret started working with them again. Bret's a bit of a dingus but not exactly malicious like Warrior was. So yeah, none of that's ever been about anything but money and whether the company considers you an enemy or not. Course I'm sure you know that as all fans do, gently caress this company

Yeah. Its sad, but at the end of the day the company revolves around whatever makes Vince the most money. Everything else is secondary. I probably got some leftover of the more idyllic WWF loving kid in me, but it never really seemed that blatant to me until the UW stuff. It was the "Wizard behind the curtain" moment for me.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

YMMV.

"compassion"
He's a true inspiration.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bug Squash posted:

Yeah. Hogan is a piece of crap but even he seemed to genuinely enjoy interacting with his fans who were kids.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I wish the Zen Pencils guy had had a sense of humour because they were very tallented at creating comic length meme templates. It was funny how mad they got about all the dril edits though.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Mr Phillby posted:

I wish the Zen Pencils guy had had a sense of humour
But then he wouldn't be zen pencils guy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What the hell is even going on with that comic. Is it supposed to be some kind of bad satire? Is it trying to play straight? :psyduck:

I assume based on how you're all talking about the artist it's the latter, but uh...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

What the hell is even going on with that comic. Is it supposed to be some kind of bad satire? Is it trying to play straight? :psyduck:

I assume based on how you're all talking about the artist it's the latter, but uh...

The original comic is an unironic tribute to Ultimate Warrior, with the boxes originally some dumb quote from him. While the edited version takes another, less nice, thing that he said.

Edit: My favorite part of the edit is definitely the "fags and Muslims still in America" under his death notice.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Hogan is a piece of crap but even he seemed to genuinely enjoy interacting with his fans who were kids.
I'll admit to still having a nostagic fondness for Hulk Hogan, although mainly for his appearances on the A team and and that weird knightrider knockoff with the speedboat as I didn't watch wrestling.

My opinion is that the man himself was awful but the character of the milk drinking wholesome muscleman powered by positive kid energy was good and cool. I think I like wrestlers more when they're just unashamedly being childrens entertainers.

If anyone doubts his commitment to at least appearing to care about his young fans please watch this video which is a heartfelt tribute to a literal dead child sung by Hulk Hogan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9JfhANM9B0

I'm not sure what the point of this post was other than to inflict that song on people but I'm not sorry.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

muscles like this! posted:

The original comic is an unironic tribute to Ultimate Warrior, with the boxes originally some dumb quote from him. While the edited version takes another, less nice, thing that he said.

Edit: My favorite part of the edit is definitely the "fags and Muslims still in America" under his death notice.

Oh okay it's an edit, I feel dumb. :downs:

Mr Phillby posted:

I wish the Zen Pencils guy had had a sense of humour because they were very tallented at creating comic length meme templates. It was funny how mad they got about all the dril edits though.

I think I talked about it before somewhere on these forums, but I spent a couple years in college rooming with the guy who did the much edited Nintendo Board Room comic, and his stance was always that while he didn't really care about the edits themselves and even found some of them funny, he ultimately soured on them because the vast majority removed his name and copyright from the image.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm depressed how I burnt out of wrestling; I just can't watch the COVID shows and most of the things I like are filled with rapists and nonces and trying to post enjoyment of like NXT would just get me looked like a weirdo (I created a new NXT thread because the original thread was made by someone who jumped on AEW and just kept remaking thread titles making fun of NXT)

I believe NXT still contains rapists

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

With all the bummer stories about wrestling, here's the story of Sputnik Monroe, who built a heel gimmick out of fighting racism.

Wikipedia posted:

In 1957, while driving to a wrestling show in Alabama, Monroe became tired and invited a black hitchhiker he met at a gas station to take the wheel. Upon arriving at the arena, Monroe placed his arm around the man, which drew a chorus of boos and insults from the white crowd; in response to this Monroe kissed the man on the cheek. Monroe would later use this underlying racism as a promotional tactic and become a noteworthy figure in Memphis cultural history. During a period where legal segregation was the norm at public events, and during a general decline in the popularity of professional wrestling, Monroe recognized that the segregated wrestling shows (whites sat in floor seats while blacks were required to sit in the balcony) were not properly marketing to black fans. The witty, flamboyant Monroe began dressing up in a purple gown and carrying a diamond tipped cane and drinking in traditionally black bars in the black area of Memphis, where he would openly socialize with black patrons and hand out tickets to his wrestling shows. As a result of this, he was frequently arrested by police on a variety of vague, trumped up charges, such as mopery. In each case, he would then hire a black attorney and appear in court, pay a small fine, and immediately resume the behavior that resulted in his prior arrests. Due to this, and in spite of the fact that he was a heel at the time, his popularity soared among the black community. At his shows, although floor seats in arenas would be half empty with white patrons, the balcony would be packed to capacity with black patrons with many others unable to enter due to the balcony selling out.

Monroe, having become the biggest wrestling draw in the territory, soon refused to perform unless patrons, regardless of their race, were allowed to sit in any seat at the Ellis Auditorium. As a result, the promoter was obliged to desegregate his wrestling shows, which then completely sold out with Monroe's black fans, in some cases over 15,000 at a time, filling the auditorium. Soon, other Southern sporting events, recognizing the enormous financial benefits, began to desegregate as well.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sydin posted:

Oh okay it's an edit, I feel dumb. :downs:

I think I talked about it before somewhere on these forums, but I spent a couple years in college rooming with the guy who did the much edited Nintendo Board Room comic, and his stance was always that while he didn't really care about the edits themselves and even found some of them funny, he ultimately soured on them because the vast majority removed his name and copyright from the image.
I mean that is fair but there is a kind of delicious irony when a comic that is 100% putting images to other peoples words gets cancelled because the artist couldn't handle other peoples words being paired with their images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sydin posted:

Zen Pencils is one of those optimized-for-social-media comics where the artist would find a quote from a famous person and draw a comic around it. And he's kind of an oblivious dude who quit his day job to pursue his dream as an independent artist, so he didn't always appear to know or understand some of the things he was quoting.

Example:

quote:

Ayn Rand (1905-1982) was a Russian-American writer and philiosopher. She’s famous for her two novels, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, and creating a new system of philosophy called Objectivism. I didn’t know anything about her before adapting this quote but she seems to have lived a very interesting life. Rand grew up in Russia during the Russian Revolution and later moved to America where she worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood before gaining fame with her first novel, The Fountainhead. After success as a novelist she focused on philosophy and formed a new system called Objectivism, a way of thinking that places reason above everything else. Rand was a strong, out-spoken woman who definitely lived by the words in this quote. Anyone here recommend The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged? Thanks to Luciana for submitting the quote.

Or he'll copy over fake Native American stories made up by white people:

I'm having to respost all these because it looks like his comic website isn't fully working right now, but what people really made fun of him for were the times he tried to make a quote into an insipid story, like that Ultimate Warrior one, or something completely nonsensical like this one here about a guy pursuing his dreams of.... turning into Ned Stark, Dragonslayer?

http://joyreactor.com/post/869114

He did a whole follow up fanficy comic about his haters being a giant blob and Hayao Miyazaki blows it up with a giant mecha. Anyway, this led to a lot of edits and parodies of his comics. Someone had a twitter account going for a while with his comics edited to be @Dril quotes. When he noticed he remarked he didn't know who this Dril fellow as but he didn't like the edits.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 4, 2021