Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

Stop being wasteful and use cookware that lasts. Carbon steel or cast iron can handle fish or eggs.

My wife insists on using 10+ year old nonstick (lol, everything sticks at this point) baking sheets because she 'can just put them in the dishwasher' despite me having bought nordicware aluminum pans years back that have just been super easy to clean by hand for everything I've cooked in them. Just wipe em out. Something sticks? Soak it in the sink and use a metal spatula to scrape it off and then wipe it out.

At the same time she refuses to let me buy new non-stick trays for her because the old ones work 'fine' (they don't).

I had to throw out the last non-stick fry pan because if you cooked scrambled eggs in it you had as much egg left stuck to the pan as you did on the plate despite having two beautifully seasoned cast iron pans that she won't touch. She refuses because despite me telling her repeatedly that soap and water are fine she thinks you can't wash them and also because you have to wipe em down with oil when you are done.

In both cases it's the difference between 30 seconds of clean up and 5 seconds of clean up, so basically trivial.

You gotta pick your battles man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have to agree that it's kinda wild that folks are just buying and rebuying pans that continually break down and get thrown in the garbage.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean I don't think anyone is replacing them yearly or anything like that. Before I got my tramontina, I probably went 5 years or more between purchases. And if I have to replace my only nonstick pan every five years, so be it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I think there’s a place for a one nonstick pan in your collection. I have a pretty full set of all-clad and about every appliance you can imagine, but 95% of my cooking is in a cast iron skillet, enameled cast Dutch oven or a carbon steel skillet. I still can justify having a single non-stick skillet for scrambles and a few other things and with hand washing I get about a decade out of it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I mean I don't think anyone is replacing them yearly or anything like that. Before I got my tramontina, I probably went 5 years or more between purchases. And if I have to replace my only nonstick pan every five years, so be it.

yeah when i suggested they're disposable, i mean vs some cast iron or stainless steel thing that will literally last your whole life. all nonstick stuff has a pretty finite lifespan in comparison.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

Stop being wasteful and use cookware that lasts. Carbon steel or cast iron can handle fish or eggs.

There is nothing that's quite as good as a non stick in good shape. Not carbon, not cast iron. It's worth having one non stick that you just understand is going to last a couple years and be replaced. My entire arsenal is stainless steel & cast iron but I still have a non-stick for when I want to fry a couple eggs without a bunch of extra steps.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'm sure you'll all freak but

worse comes to worst, you can stick a piece of parchment in your skillet, add a little butter and go to town with an egg

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

There’s nothing wrong with non-stick you snobs

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Verisimilidude posted:

I've been loving around with cast iron and stainless pans for years. I bought a non stick a month ago and it's been life changing. Everything is so much easier now. Cleans up as good as new in 30 seconds too.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Verisimilidude posted:

Seriously. I'll spend the $20 or so every year on a nonstick if it means cooking my eggs hassle-free.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Eggs are basically the only reason to have one though.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

xtal posted:

Eggs are basically the only reason to have one though.

Right? What food besides eggs benefits from nonstick that much? I have and use nonstick but basically only for scrambled eggs at this point

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s mainly the fact that egg is liquid protein, which solidifies when cooked.

So, blood.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Also, thin batters

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

some fried cheeses as well

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
It’s nice for searing sous vide fish on the skin side because sometimes you can’t afford to wait for full caramelization to release it off the pan.

Also, if having a nonstick pan is what gets you to cook at home even once more per week instead of eating out then you’re probably already making a net ecological benefit, so don’t let a scold tell you not to replace it if you need to. Some people are just much more comfortable cooking on non-stick.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I haven’t done any googling for pans other than reading this thread and now my Instagram is full of that gimmicky OUR PLACE pan. Christ millennials will buy anything.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Related chat, recommend me a griddle for use on a glass cooktop (coil, not induction). Two-burner preferred (e: square/rectangular also preferred). Everything on Amazon seems to have something that makes it unsuitable.

The aluminum nonstick ones all have complaints of warping. The cast iron ones are reversible with grill grates on the underside, not sure how that's going to work on an electric burner (feel free to tell me I'm wrong here). The Lodge carbon steel has handles that make it too long and again, complaints of not being flat.

Basically give me a reason not to buy an electric griddle.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i dont think you can have a griddle span two burner on an electric cooktop and not end up with massive hot spots

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

barkbell posted:

i dont think you can have a griddle span two burner on an electric cooktop and not end up with massive hot spots

This is true but i can’t imagine how it would be any different on gas or induction

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Have you considered just getting an electric griddle?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

xtal posted:

Have you considered just getting an electric griddle?

Discussion Quorum posted:

Basically give me a reason not to buy an electric griddle.

I have an electric skillet but the temp control sucks, and I only use it for pancakes anyways, so the high sides are annoying. Was hoping to replace it with something a little easier to store but such is life.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i dunno how well the temp controls work but electric griddles are outstanding for making pancakes and the like. i'm not saying you shouldn't get a standard cast iron or steel griddle or something if you want one for your stove, but i've had great luck with even the cheapo electric griddles. plus they store about as well as any other griddle (just a little taller because of the legs).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The skillet I have is a basic DeLonghi I got as a wedding gift years ago. It may just have a bad thermostat and/or poor heat distribution. The difference between pale pancakes and burned pancakes with a gooey center is basically down to a wiggle of the knob and the phase of the moon.

I ordered an IR thermometer and a cast iron Lodge griddle. If I'm going to do an experiment, I'm going to do it with science :science:

e: Changed my mind, I am going to get the ATK best buy electric. A hunk of hot cast iron that I can't move much until it cools and a toddler who can juuuust get his hand over the countertop seems like a bad combination.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 6, 2021

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
This isn't kitchen equipment, technically, but I have a question about gas grill grates. Am I best to post this in the slow cooking meat thread?

Basically, I'm looking at replacing my grill with a weber gas, and I have the option of a slightly cheaper enameled (I think) cast iron grates, which I think I prefer, or a stainless steel option. I think I'd usually opt for cast iron, as I'm willing to keep it seasoned. Never used a grill with stainless grates.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Stainless won’t rust, cast iron won’t rust if you are scrupulous about cleaning it and your local environment is not too humid. I’d get stainless unless the price difference is large, because i like things that are easier to maintain, but cast iron is probably fine if you know what you’re doing

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

The skillet I have is a basic DeLonghi I got as a wedding gift years ago. It may just have a bad thermostat and/or poor heat distribution. The difference between pale pancakes and burned pancakes with a gooey center is basically down to a wiggle of the knob and the phase of the moon.

I ordered an IR thermometer and a cast iron Lodge griddle. If I'm going to do an experiment, I'm going to do it with science :science:

e: Changed my mind, I am going to get the ATK best buy electric. A hunk of hot cast iron that I can't move much until it cools and a toddler who can juuuust get his hand over the countertop seems like a bad combination.

After watching the new Bon Appétit videos with Harold Villarosa and hearing him rave about the Presto electric griddles that he uses to film outdoors, I had to get one as well. I got the 22 inch one with the removable handles and it's been a game changer. I've taken it to friends houses to cook up some side dishes while we grill out, I've taken it to work to cook team lunches since I'm a distiller and we cannot have any open flames inside the building, I've made numerous breakfasts and brunches with it at home. It's seriously outstanding and was like $40 on Amazon.

Highly recommend.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 8, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i have the older one without removable handles and it’s great. sometimes the plug gets a little finicky but that’s my only complaint. i only use it outside now because birds, but it’s so good for cooking pancakes especially on.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I ended up getting 19-inch Tilt and Fold, it was highly recommended by both ATK and Serious Eats which is good enough for me.

100% Dundee posted:

After watching the new Bon Appétit videos with Harold Villarosa and hearing him rave about the Presto electric griddles that he uses to film outdoors

I haven't watched any BA videos since the whole controversy over their culture and treatment of POC staff erupted, so I was unaware of Harold and his griddles. Gonna have to make his grilled cheese and chicken adobo.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have any experience with Darto frying pans?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Everyone seems to love air fryers. I think I would use one... maybe too much and my diet would become nothing but wings, fries, and mozzarella sticks. :v:

Costco has this 12 qt for $80: https://www.costco.com/emeril-lagasse-12-quart-air-fryer-pro.product.100696882.html

And this 6 qt for $40: https://www.costco.com/gourmia-6-quart-digital-air-fryer.product.100671799.html

Thoughts?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Everyone seems to love air fryers. I think I would use one... maybe too much and my diet would become nothing but wings, fries, and mozzarella sticks. :v:

Costco has this 12 qt for $80: https://www.costco.com/emeril-lagasse-12-quart-air-fryer-pro.product.100696882.html

And this 6 qt for $40: https://www.costco.com/gourmia-6-quart-digital-air-fryer.product.100671799.html

Thoughts?

I have this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0865KVZV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fantastic and I love it. I very rarely cook bar food in it like you describe and instead do stuff like cook eggs in ramakins for breakfast sandwiches with english muffins, or squash that I cube and toss in seasoning and a bit of oil. The latter is similar to roasting squash in an oven, just a little more 'fried' due to the surface area.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Thoughts?

I got the 6qt one from Costco for my fiancee and she loves it. No, I hadn't just bought a Breville smart oven with convection when she decided she needed a different kind of convection oven.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

VelociBacon posted:

I have this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0865KVZV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fantastic and I love it. I very rarely cook bar food in it like you describe and instead do stuff like cook eggs in ramakins for breakfast sandwiches with english muffins, or squash that I cube and toss in seasoning and a bit of oil. The latter is similar to roasting squash in an oven, just a little more 'fried' due to the surface area.

I have the same one (but the "dumb" version without wifi etc) and I concur with this assessment. The square basket really seals it.

I can confirm it makes great wings too, though.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Josh Lyman posted:

Thoughts?

I got the attachment for my instapot. Love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Air-Fryer-One-Touch/dp/B07VT23JDM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=instapot+air+fryer&qid=1612917049&sr=8-3

I eat a lot of buffalo wings. TBH buffalo wings are not really that bad for you. Protein and a bit of fat, bit of sodium.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have the same one (but the "dumb" version without wifi etc) and I concur with this assessment. The square basket really seals it.

I can confirm it makes great wings too, though.

I actually ordered that one and they hosed up somehow and they ended up delivering it to the wrong apartment building, they sent me the one with wifi after I opened a support ticket. I'll never use the wifi feature.

e: I'm making this post so that people don't think I use wifi controls on an air fryer to be 100% transparent.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

VelociBacon posted:

I actually ordered that one and they hosed up somehow and they ended up delivering it to the wrong apartment building, they sent me the one with wifi after I opened a support ticket. I'll never use the wifi feature.

e: I'm making this post so that people don't think I use wifi controls on an air fryer to be 100% transparent.

[hacker voice] let's make them breakfast

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

VelociBacon posted:

Did you post this from your air fryer over wifi?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Did you post this from your air fryer over wifi?

The plot of a hacker movie that centers on exploiting a wifi vulnerability in an air fryer to spoof SMTP messages from a White House IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Has anyone mounted a magnetic knife block with drywall anchors and if so, what size anchor did you use? I’m confused because the length of the screw is 1.5”, but of course only .75 inch clears the depth of the block. I’m sure I’m overthinking it, but I know very little about anchors so I don’t want to do anything dumb.