Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
i quarter read an article and decided everyone in the global south eats bugs and it’s racist not to. also I have some exciting thoughts to share about corophagia after watching the brazilian cultural film ‘swap.avi’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i remember in elementary school reading a book called chocolate-covered ants. wypipo are actually the vanguard for bug delicacies

I remember this trend of predictions that "this is what we'll eat in the future: bugs" and then there's some recipes that's just a dessert with a few ants sprinkled on top. The Snowpiercer bars looked better than that.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
brb wokely replacing all of the protein in my diet with ground up crickets like the good honest nonwhite culture of

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't have time for lunch, just give me one of the bug bars from snowpiercer

snowpiercer is a fictional story. the things in it arent real. furthermore,

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I'm just grumpy because once I invited my friends to eat grasshoppers with me at the Oaxacan restaurant and they wouldn't and it was annoying. And they made fun of people who did eat grasshoppers in a way that I really thought was racist. And I'm projecting that onto this podcast that I didn't even hear, and I shouldn't. I apologize.

Obviously nobody should have to eat anything they don't want, including the bug bars from snowpiercer. Making everyone eat bugs would be antisemitic and islamophobic among other issues

Hooplah posted:

snowpiercer is a fictional story. the things in it arent real

...yet.

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Feb 4, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
:thumbsup:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lot of people mad about eating bugs. just because neoliberals are pushing the idea for the great reset where we all live in shipping containers doesnt mean its bad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hooplah posted:

snowpiercer is a fictional story. the things in it arent real. furthermore,
But i am hungry

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

This is how they're going to trick us into believing we want bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1wk2HWtwA

I was trying to find a clip of the whole scene where the aliens release some starving humans in an abandoned mall, they start trying to catch rats which makes the aliens conclude that they love to eat rats.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Ew!!!!! Bugs are gross!!!!!!! Grow up.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Grevling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1wk2HWtwA

for some reason I expected an ad for some like, roasted bbq crickets

which I now crave

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do not become addicted to bugs, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

i say swears online posted:

"guys I'm not sure we should move further up the train. we've got everything we need right here!"

lool

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grevling posted:

i say swears online posted:

do not become addicted to bugs, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y7cZSWu93k

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Civilized Fishbot posted:

"If you eat things white people don't eat, I'm not sure you're even human at all." That's you, that's what you're saying

People have been eating bugs since we were monkeys, nobody should have to eat them if they don't want to just as nobody should have to eat any animal they don't want to eat, but to pretend that eating bugs is some outrageous inhuman spectacle is just embarrassing ignorance

are you British royalty by any chance?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Buddy, I'm more worried about them making us eat dust like bugs

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

thotsky posted:

are you British royalty by any chance?

We might disagree, but it's absolutely outrageous to call me a pedophile and I want you to apologize

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
Bug meat is still murder. I would eat government issues meal bars if they were veg for 67% of meals though, like whatever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

THS posted:

lot of people mad about eating bugs. just because neoliberals are pushing the idea for the great reset where we all live in shipping containers doesnt mean its bad

Buddy this is qanon russia bot talk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
come on guys we're already in the middle of a pandemic that got kicked off thanks to people eating bats, clearly we need to be eating fewer bugs not more

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
*me perforated by a defense drone after I tripped the alarm on a meat cloning food supply cache*

I did not eat the bugs....I died a man

*defense drone engages to bio-recovery mode and begins to core out my body for usable fluids and tissues, starting from the the anus*

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

*me perforated by a defense drone after I tripped the alarm on a meat cloning food supply cache*

*defense drone engages to bio-recovery mode and begins to core out my body for usable fluids and tissues, starting from the the anus*

human assholes have become a delicacy for the rich in TYOOL 2028

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

come on guys we're already in the middle of a pandemic that got kicked off thanks to people eating bats, clearly we need to be eating fewer bugs not more
Bats eat bugs, people are eating bats, the obvious move is to cut out the middleman. Thanks for proving my point with your own logic

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

y'all! the directorate updated the menu! surprise nugget day, heck yeah. shame watkins retired so suddenly but i'm happy for him

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the new qaa is an extremely dense hour on the history of chans, it's really really good

https://twitter.com/QanonAnonymous/status/1357205974830878720

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
why not just eat like plant protein and stuff. it’s conceptually far less “disgusting”. other foods such as nuts also contain that.

people in the west are disgusted by eating bugs for two reasons- one, it’s not already part of the culture (and not even enough of a consideration so as to be expressly forbidden as unclean in the fashion of haraam or kashrut), and two, because of that unfamiliarity with it as a foodstuff the first thought upon hearing the word “bug” is a cockroach, centipede, silverfish, pillbug, bedbug, or any number of disgusting things as opposed to clean insects like ants or grasshoppers.

some posters really want it to be racism because it’s so much easier to make it a signifier and engineered point of conflict with the added bonus of totally alienating normal people from the conversation

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
also the whole point as someone
mentioned earlier is that you will eat bugs, and the folks at the top advocating for you to do so will not want for lack of prime rib. they are as disgusted by the idea of eating insects as the people they will force to do
so, who unlike them won’t have the ability to buy their way out of it. but keep punching down I guess

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a bug eating dust? nah, these days, we eat bugs in the dust

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

gave me nightmares

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

you freaks cant make me eat bugs. gently caress you! i will NOT eat bugs!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i will eat the bugs if they taste good and are shaped into the form of a mcrib patty

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

a Loving Dog posted:

you freaks cant make me eat bugs. gently caress you! i will NOT eat bugs!

if your every meal isn’t the second challenge from Fear Factor you’re a loving racist and you WILL be held accountable

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Crawfish used to creep me out but now I love them

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

mistermojo posted:

they’re the best edible bug for sure. always laugh when people talk about shrimp. buddy you have to take out their poop. whereas crawfish poop is delicious and then you can suck the brains out of their heads like a zombie

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

mistermojo posted:

too much work for not enough meat imo! but they're good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

docbeard posted:

I eat bugs from the sea so eating bugs on land probably would be fine if they were made to taste good.

gently caress lobsters too

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

"If you eat things white people don't eat, I'm not sure you're even human at all." That's you, that's what you're saying

People have been eating bugs since we were monkeys, nobody should have to eat them if they don't want to just as nobody should have to eat any animal they don't want to eat, but to pretend that eating bugs is some outrageous inhuman spectacle is just embarrassing ignorance

the whole Freakonomics episode had this as it's premise

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

why not just eat like plant protein and stuff. it’s conceptually far less “disgusting”. other foods such as nuts also contain that.

people in the west are disgusted by eating bugs for two reasons- one, it’s not already part of the culture (and not even enough of a consideration so as to be expressly forbidden as unclean in the fashion of haraam or kashrut), and two, because of that unfamiliarity with it as a foodstuff the first thought upon hearing the word “bug” is a cockroach, centipede, silverfish, pillbug, bedbug, or any number of disgusting things as opposed to clean insects like ants or grasshoppers.

some posters really want it to be racism because it’s so much easier to make it a signifier and engineered point of conflict with the added bonus of totally alienating normal people from the conversation

some french company partnered with ADM down by decatur illinois to make a huge bug protein plant, i think it's mainly for animal feed but hopefully they put out some bug burgers that are like 20 cents a pound or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

THS posted:

i will eat the bugs if they taste good and are shaped into the form of a mcrib patty

quote:

So, when you say insects, the first thing I want to know is what kind of insects? And the second thing I want to know is, do you have to see the insect? Can the insect be hidden? What form is the insect in? Maybe a worm can look happy and be, you know — maybe worms are okay.