Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

By the way it's called orange in English because "a naranj" shifted to "an aranj" which then turned into "an orange".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Arent the Adademie Francaise largely ignored? I seem to remember that they were insisting on Email being called something else, and being very annoyed that most french speaker just persisted in calling it "Email". Kind of like if the dictionary saw themselves as responsible for creating words, rather than recording the words people actually use.

In my linguistics programme, we had an Icelandic student who did her bachelor's in Iceland. While doing so, she worked as one of the people making up new words. They literally pay students to make up words instead of using loanwords. Apparently, "app" got through them though, so that's the Icelandic word now. Unsurprisingly, most of the actual words they made were more niche technical terms.

I also remember my Arabic teacher telling me there were technically "proper" words for stuff like ice cream, but everyone just use the loanwords unless they were being super formal (and ice cream wouldn't come up then I guess).

Finally, the Danish computer science community started out with translations of technical terms too, but eventually the English versions won out. I still jokingly say "fastpladelager" instead of harddisk occasionally.

This has been loanword trivia.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ya, when I started computer science in '03, the Danish words (also "løsen" for password) were only used tongue-in-cheek.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

BonHair posted:

Finally, the Danish computer science community started out with translations of technical terms too, but eventually the English versions won out. I still jokingly say "fastpladelager" instead of harddisk occasionally.

In German, it is actually translated as Festplatte! Also Bildschirm instead of screen and Lautsprecher instead of loud speaker. Newer technical terms are usually no longer translated. It's "Tablet" instead of "Tablett" and "Trackpad" instead of ???

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Sorry did you just say you LIKE learning arbitrary gendered articles and conjugations for words?

No, I'm saying that's how they lure you in.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Antigravitas posted:

No, I'm saying that's how they lure you in.

Dang, I thought I found the perfect language for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyirbal_language

quote:

The language is best known for its system of noun classes, numbering four in total. They tend to be divided among the following semantic lines:

I – most animate objects, men
II – women, water, fire, violence, and exceptional animals[14]
III – edible fruit and vegetables
IV – miscellaneous (includes things not classifiable in the first three)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you like german but wish it wasn't gendered I'm fairly sure that's just middle english.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SiKboy posted:

Arent the Adademie Francaise largely ignored? I seem to remember that they were insisting on Email being called something else, and being very annoyed that most french speaker just persisted in calling it "Email". Kind of like if the dictionary saw themselves as responsible for creating words, rather than recording the words people actually use.

Mon dieu! You’ll call it un courrier électronique and you’ll like calling it un courrier électronique.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

These are cool maps, thanks.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Women, Water, Fire, Violence, and Exceptional Animals would have been an even better title than Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alien Arcana posted:

...it's pronounced "blaggard" isn't it. gently caress.

It is, but it's also a thing that's such a british-ism that I feel like it would feel weirder to me hearing someone say it correctly in an American accent than just saying "black guard".

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Also, there's a British town called Appletreewick which is pronounced "Aptrick."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SerialKilldeer posted:

Also, there's a British town called Appletreewick which is pronounced "Aptrick."

The UK is full of towns like that. It's basically because depending on where in the UK you are there's like five different root languages for the names that got awkwardly shoehorned into english after the fact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNzqgU7na4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Blue Moonlight posted:

Mon dieu! You’ll call it un courrier électronique and you’ll like calling it un courrier électronique.

Yeah, nahh

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

C'est un courriel you loving savage

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You are actually supposed to say the word victualler "vid-ler" or "vit-ler". Not "vick-choo-uh-ler". So it follows that a victualler supplies viddles or vittles.

You're not supposed to say that word actually.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BonHair posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but have you seen French spelling? Danish is certainly no better than English. What happens if that people hate change, and so changing the spelling, even if there's a corresponding sound change, if seen as an affront to reason. And that's how you get stupid spelling over the years. Well, one of the ways, another is loaning words including the spelling from other languages. My favourite in Danish is "chauffør", where the first half is dumb and French (we have no use for C at all in Danish), but we bothered to change eu to ø for phonetic reasons. The sensible solution would have been to write "sjofør", or even keep the French "chauffeur", but no, mix and match wins.

This is amazingly dumb, and I love it so much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The UK is full of towns like that. It's basically because depending on where in the UK you are there's like five different root languages for the names that got awkwardly shoehorned into english after the fact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNzqgU7na4

Also generally just cut syllables out, I'm deadly serious when I say that a language where you remove all the vowels and just turn it into grunts is efficient because that's literally how a lot of english dialects and place names work, you sort of combine the vowels and consonants into a guttural syllabic bark and then string them together with glottal stops in between. It's the linguistic equivalent of beating someone to death with a sledgehammer and I love it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

OwlFancier posted:

Also generally just cut syllables out, I'm deadly serious when I say that a language where you remove all the vowels and just turn it into grunts is efficient because that's literally how a lot of english dialects and place names work, you sort of combine the vowels and consonants into a guttural syllabic bark and then string them together with glottal stops in between. It's the linguistic equivalent of beating someone to death with a sledgehammer and I love it.

it's understandable too. are you going to say "chestesterton-west-upon-harrickhamshire" all the time, or are you naturally going to gradually cut bits out until you end up pronouncing it "cheshickshire"?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

We are talking about the language that came up with Featherstonehaugh and Cholmondeley here.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

make up your own faux english names. it's fun!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm never quite sure if the UK namegen from openTTD is just loaded with a bunch of actual placenames or whether it's actually generating new ones, and if it's a mix of both I couldn't tell you which are real and which aren't and if I do recognize one I don't know if it's just listing it or if it has reinvented it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think they wanted to call email a courriel

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Remember, English spelling is so dumb they they used to hold national contests to find kids that made the fewest spelling errors.

Sorry, what? They still do this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phanatic posted:

Same thing with corn. It used to literally just mean the grain, hence "barleycorn," the corn of the barley plant. Now it's a specific grain.
I thought it usually refers to wheat, and only in the States is it "corn." Elsewhere the same plant is maize.

bzw
Mar 31, 2007
waxing

Anticheese posted:

I think they wanted to call email a courriel

And as a result, ‘pourriel’ is a great word

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Carbon dioxide posted:

By the way it's called orange in English because "a naranj" shifted to "an aranj" which then turned into "an orange".

Ah, the butterfly effect.

redleader posted:

it's understandable too. are you going to say "chestesterton-west-upon-harrickhamshire" all the time, or are you naturally going to gradually cut bits out until you end up pronouncing it "cheshickshire"?

Always fun watching the food network for the number of ways "worcestershire sauce" gets pronounced.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I just assumed it was pronounced 'worcestershire'.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Outrail posted:

I just assumed it was pronounced 'worcestershire'.

Actually it's pronounced 'sauce'

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wouce

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ah, I see you've found the playbooks for my latest blades hack

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

My dad once overheard an American pronouncing Loughborough as 'loogabarooga' when he was trying to buy a train ticket. Points for effort, I suppose.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Red Bones posted:

My dad once overheard an American pronouncing Loughborough as 'loogabarooga' when he was trying to buy a train ticket. Points for effort, I suppose.

I'm assuming the correct way is "lofbro"?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This American was once in the UK trying to buy a croissant at a cafe and the person behind the counter just did not understand at all. Finally someone from the angry line backing up behind me had to come up and say "I think he wants a croissant."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's literally pronounce Wauce-tauce-shauce sauce.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BonHair posted:

Probably yeah.

To be honest even living in the UK isn't actually helpful for knowing how to pronounce places you literally just have to learn them all through exposure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nessus posted:

I thought it usually refers to wheat, and only in the States is it "corn." Elsewhere the same plant is maize.

“Corn” is any grain.

Proto-Americans had called maize “Indian corn” since George Washington was a kid, and once they started growing it themselves (for booze, mostly), they dropped the “Indian”.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

BonHair posted:

Close enough, it's closer to Lufbra. And the fact that it is in the county of Leicestershire(Lester-sheer), leads to some amazing combinations of pronunciations from Americans.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hobnob posted:

Always fun watching the food network for the number of ways "worcestershire sauce" gets pronounced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwTT8YQFJDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Pronunciationtalk reminds me of that legendary Loriot sketch of a German TV presenter reading a "short" summary of an English radio serial that is absolutely full of English names. As she gets further into it the English pronunciation starts to bleed into her German pronunciation until she has a nervous breakdown.

quote:

[…]
Gwyneth Molesworth hatte für Lord Hesketh-Fortescue in Nether Addlethorpe einen Schlips besorgt, ihn aber bei Lord Molesworth-Houghton liegengelassen. Lady Hesketh-Fortescue verdächtigt ihren Gatten, das letzte Wochenende mit Priscilla Molesworth in Middle Fritham verbracht zu haben.
Gleichzeitig findet Meredith Hesketh-Fortescue auf einer Kutschfahrt mit Jasper Fetherston von Middle Fritham nach North Cothelstone Hall in Thrumpton Castle den Schlips aus Nether Addlethorpe.
[…]

I can't find the video online anymore because the rights holders have purged it…

Lmao wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englische_Ansage#/media/Datei:Loriot_Die_zwei_Cousinen_Dramatis_personae_German.svg