Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth with a Skull
Aug 16, 2004

Hit 'em with one-a dees
Grimey Drawer
This runs shockingly well with stock Xenia ... hitches when a new animation is loaded the first time but beyond that, butter smooth.

Now all we need is somebody to build out a M+KB control hack, feels super strange to control on my Dualshock4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

So level with me: For someone who hasn't played either, do Goldeneye and Perfect Dark hold up on the 360 as good boomer shooters, or are they just nostalgic curiosities?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A bit of both, I think. They're both so different from what PC shooters were exploring, and both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark's innovations never really caught on.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

azurite posted:

So level with me: For someone who hasn't played either, do Goldeneye and Perfect Dark hold up on the 360 as good boomer shooters, or are they just nostalgic curiosities?

They're archaic as hell but play well enough with updated controls and a smooth framerate. The objective based gameplay is still satisfying, although some levels in GE have some slightly confusing ones that are easy to miss or screw up (personally I forgot that shooting Boris in Control pisses Natalyia off enough that she just fucks off and refuses to help).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

azurite posted:

Goldeneye does IMO. Perfect Dark less since the level design gets a bit annoying later in the game but it’s still good.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 4, 2021

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

azurite posted:

I didn't play Perfect Dark until the 360 remaster and thought it was fantastic. Didn't like PD0 though.

Still haven't played Goldeneye. Never saw an N64 for real until about 3 years ago.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One of the more interesting differences is that the XBLA version allows you to turn on auto-aiming. The original title turned off disabled it on the highest difficulty setting, and made it an exponentially bitchier experience with the 64 controller

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

azurite posted:

I'll go against the grain and say that the smooth performance and graphics make GE (can't speak for the PD port) a fun re-play if you have the childhood 90s nostalgia for it. It feels like about as perfect a port as one can hope for and runs shockingly well on Xenia Canary.

With that said, it is very much a product of it's time and if you never played it before its going to be a rough experience. I forgot how the AI is basically (stand and shoot or run at bond, get stuck in door) or how easy it is to miss objectives unless you know what to look for. Also Auto-turrets suck rear end.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 4, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The gunplay is still really fun due to how the enemies react to being shot. The objectives aren’t that hard to miss if you read the dossier before each mission, something I admittedly never did as a dumb kid.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

The gunplay is still really fun due to how the enemies react to being shot. The objectives aren’t that hard to miss if you read the dossier before each mission, something I admittedly never did as a dumb kid.

Right but the objectives are vague. For example mission one has install convert modem the problem is there is nothing indicating where you are suppose to put it. Or neutralize all alarms but there is nothing telling you to "shoot the red button thingies".

Again, no problem for me because I played the game 100x times as a kid and read every strategy guide i could get my 12 year old hands on, but I could see it being somewhat frustrating for a new player unless they google what to do.

Agree with the enemy reactions. I think it's the first FPS where enemies actually reacted to getting shot? Some of the animations could be quite gruesome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXaS1dv_P4

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 4, 2021

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is there a control scheme closer to modern shooters? A move and a shoot freely? I was always so bad at aiming on the N64.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Youth with a Skull posted:

This runs shockingly well with stock Xenia ... hitches when a new animation is loaded the first time but beyond that, butter smooth.

Now all we need is somebody to build out a M+KB control hack, feels super strange to control on my Dualshock4

you can already do that with an n64 emulator. it runs in hd widescreen at 60 fps even.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shoehead posted:

Is there a control scheme closer to modern shooters? A move and a shoot freely? I was always so bad at aiming on the N64.

Yes, the leaked remaster has modern dual stick controls.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
GoldenEye also has some absolutely absurd difficulty spikes. For example, protecting Natalya in Control on 00 Agent took me several days of frustrated attempts. Unlocking the Invincibility cheat by speedrunning Facility on 00 is also ridiculous as one of the objectives (about 1:30 in at least) is in a randomised location so sometimes it's literally impossible to finish on time. Also gently caress whoever decided the game should allow you to get shot while you look at the watch to pause the game :argh:

Regardless it's an all time classic and I played the poo poo out of it back in 1998-9. Timesplitters 2 and 3 are vastly superior though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What makes Timesplitters much better? I haven’t dug into them that much yet.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

What makes Timesplitters much better? I haven’t dug into them that much yet.

It's the same team refining the gameplay, adding a really cool aesthetic and basically making the best console multiplayer shooter of all time. Dozens of weapons, characters, levels and even a map maker!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I'll never forget playing the original Timesplitters on PS2 back when it launched. Still waiting for the first level to load.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Convex posted:

GoldenEye also has some absolutely absurd difficulty spikes. For example, protecting Natalya in Control on 00 Agent took me several days of frustrated attempts. Unlocking the Invincibility cheat by speedrunning Facility on 00 is also ridiculous as one of the objectives (about 1:30 in at least) is in a randomised location so sometimes it's literally impossible to finish on time. Also gently caress whoever decided the game should allow you to get shot while you look at the watch to pause the game :argh:

Regardless it's an all time classic and I played the poo poo out of it back in 1998-9. Timesplitters 2 and 3 are vastly superior though.

Yeah protecting Natalya is so much harder than anything else in the game. I remember finally beating Control was brag worthy at school.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Convex posted:

It's the same team refining the gameplay, adding a really cool aesthetic and basically making the best console multiplayer shooter of all time. Dozens of weapons, characters, levels and even a map maker!

I really hope they can do rereleases someday. It sucks that I missed out on them on Xbox Live.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

I remember watching my friend spend a whole afternoon grinding facility for the invincibility cheat and finally getting a great run only to get to the tally screen and he was off by one second and quitting in frustration lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I totally gave up on the more absurd cheat unlocks and Gamesharked them in back then. Maybe I’ll actually try to get them legit with these better controls.

Had anyone compiled exactly what’s missing from this near final build?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really hope they can do rereleases someday. It sucks that I missed out on them on Xbox Live.

Do you have a PC with a modern graphics card? (i.e. anything 900 series onward) If so, the GameCube versions of 2 and 3 emulate almost perfectly in Dolphin. 1 was PS2 only but it was more of a proof of concept that's completely superceded by 2 anyway.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

I remember watching my friend spend a whole afternoon grinding facility for the invincibility cheat and finally getting a great run only to get to the tally screen and he was off by one second and quitting in frustration lol

lol I've been there

I also tragically have a permanent mental association between the Facility level and Mark Goodier doing the R1 top 40 :shepicide:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Convex posted:

Do you have a PC with a modern graphics card? (i.e. anything 900 series onward) If so, the GameCube versions of 2 and 3 emulate almost perfectly in Dolphin. 1 was PS2 only but it was more of a proof of concept that's completely superceded by 2 anyway.

I do but I meant playing them online. Do people do that via Dolphin?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I do but I meant playing them online. Do people do that via Dolphin?

I think there is an online split screen function now, no idea how well it works though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
uh why is bond wearing armbands

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think thats supposed to be the sleeve from his dress shirt under the tux.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think thats supposed to be the sleeve from his dress shirt under the tux.

Look to the left.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They;re his floaties btw

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Man, I loving love remasters that allow you to switch between old and remastered graphics with a press of a button. Loved it in Halo 1 + 2, love it here

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Look to the left.

That’s what I get for replying to photos on mobile.:blush:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes, the leaked remaster has modern dual stick controls.

Oh poo poo I'll look in the options then. m I did was un invert the stick

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

azurite posted:

They're both good.
I played PD on the 360 (proper version) last year and it still holds up if not a little bad level design wise in the 2nd half after it moves into hard sci-fi stuff instead of noir/cyber punk stuff. If you play up to saving Obama it's all good.
Goldeneye is so short and tight that you can just run through most of the levels and have a good time and then maybe stop at jungle.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think the Farsight works either.
Heretical.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Coincidentally I've been watching all the bond movies and I'm currently at the man with the golden gun and it was a missed opportunity not having an unlockable duel level with scaramanga in his funhouse

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Coincidentally I've been watching all the bond movies and I'm currently at the man with the golden gun and it was a missed opportunity not having an unlockable duel level with scaramanga in his funhouse

They at one point had the ability for you to pick between the 4 other bonds up to that point (Connery, Lazenby, Moore, and Dalton) for Multiplayer but it got taken out. I think Gameshark codes can put them back in for the N64 version.

Also I just realized Scaramanga isn't even in Goldeneye as a multiplayer character which is weird cause he would've fit just fine. Maybe it was a rights thing regarding Christopher Lee.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Years after it came out rare released the all bonds button code, I wonder if those are still accessable in the xbla port

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Angry_Ed posted:

They at one point had the ability for you to pick between the 4 other bonds up to that point (Connery, Lazenby, Moore, and Dalton) for Multiplayer but it got taken out. I think Gameshark codes can put them back in for the N64 version.

Also I just realized Scaramanga isn't even in Goldeneye as a multiplayer character which is weird cause he would've fit just fine. Maybe it was a rights thing regarding Christopher Lee.

I distinctly remember Roger Moore being a skin but I may have just seen it in a magazine or something. I'm bummed they drew the "Mom, David's cheating at goldeneye again" line at Oddjob. Imagine how many little brothers would have been beaten senseless if Rare had given us Nick Nack.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My fantasy version is a more modern Goldeneye with crossover DLC content. Oddjob, Nick Nack, and Mini-me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah, that's mondo cool. Anything related to Christopher Lee is cool.

That 007 game from the Hitman devs at IO sounds like it's got potential too.