Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Grittybeard posted:

Tuf did not have a good senior bowl week apparently (thread)

https://twitter.com/kylerrobbins/status/1355546081489264640

I mean...that's rough.

Tuf is the worst 4-year starter I have ever seen at Ohio state. Like, dude is going to run a 5.1 and basically got by on the fact that stuffing like, Sparty’s run game is the most obvious poo poo in the world. I still have no idea how Clemson didn’t decide to go after him. The fact that Hilliard was a 4th LB while Browning was played outside instead of at MLB so they could put Tuf on the field is just mind-bending. Hilliard and Werner are both probably replacement-level NFL OLBs who can turn and run, Browning was an athletic freak who was poorly coached for 2 years but is an unholy pass rusher who can drop. We continued to play Tuf because he was a captain even though he was the slowest guy on the entire defense and basically existed like Zach Thomas doing assisted run fit tackles in the A gap and getting owned the rest of the way. If anything, he’s a luxury 4th LB in college who should’ve been on the field against explicit run-first teams while the other 3 guys played, but Urban elevated him because of “grit” or whatever and Day was too scared to yank his starting role because locker room or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Counterpoint, his name is Tuf Borland. That's a HoF caliber special teams name.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Is he related to Chris Borland?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t think so, Tim.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Tuf is the worst 4-year starter I have ever seen at Ohio state. Like, dude is going to run a 5.1 and basically got by on the fact that stuffing like, Sparty’s run game is the most obvious poo poo in the world. I still have no idea how Clemson didn’t decide to go after him. The fact that Hilliard was a 4th LB while Browning was played outside instead of at MLB so they could put Tuf on the field is just mind-bending. Hilliard and Werner are both probably replacement-level NFL OLBs who can turn and run, Browning was an athletic freak who was poorly coached for 2 years but is an unholy pass rusher who can drop. We continued to play Tuf because he was a captain even though he was the slowest guy on the entire defense and basically existed like Zach Thomas doing assisted run fit tackles in the A gap and getting owned the rest of the way. If anything, he’s a luxury 4th LB in college who should’ve been on the field against explicit run-first teams while the other 3 guys played, but Urban elevated him because of “grit” or whatever and Day was too scared to yank his starting role because locker room or whatever.

Don't forget he also somehow "won" the defensive MVP in the Clemson game, despite basically being a liability the whole night and other guys actually making plays.

Very glad he's finally run out of eligibility.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Tuf did not have a good senior bowl week apparently (thread)

https://twitter.com/kylerrobbins/status/1355546081489264640

I mean...that's rough.

ruf borland

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

ShakeZula posted:

Don't forget he also somehow "won" the defensive MVP in the Clemson game, despite basically being a liability the whole night and other guys actually making plays.

Very glad he's finally run out of eligibility.

When Betz did his massive threads on Zach Thomas, it was the most seen I have ever felt about the Tuf Borland experience. "Hey, look at this extremely limited man who is very good at getting group tackles and nothing else".

Also, I think this might be the worst edge class in the modern era. Rousseau looks like he could be good when he bends, but I really really don't know if anyone else is any good. Oweh looks raw but might be good as a development guy? I cannot think of a year where I hate this many edge-rushers.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Also, I think this might be the worst edge class in the modern era. Rousseau looks like he could be good when he bends, but I really really don't know if anyone else is any good. Oweh looks raw but might be good as a development guy? I cannot think of a year where I hate this many edge-rushers.

Edge seems both very deep and very developmental to supplementary pass rushers. Basham (loving all pro last name) got my attention back as a day 2 with his senior bowl work. The rumor of Oweh running in the 4.3's has me bummed that there's no combine. I just want to see him do it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I dont know who this Betz guy is but anyone anti Zach Thomas is p dumb so you should avoid them in social settings as well as academic

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers apparently aren't interested in any of the Senior Bowl QBs and thank god for it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Zach Thomas was a little over-rated but he definitely did things over than just make group tackles.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

FizFashizzle posted:

Panthers apparently aren't interested in any of the Senior Bowl QBs and thank god for it.

:mad:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Added TheBizzness to the dolphins enemies list

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Zach Thomas came from an era where big named LBs got "tackles" for being within 10 feet of a ball carrier going down. Lewis, Urlacher, and others all got the same padded stats.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm piggybacking off this as more of a lol Mike Tannenbaum post but he's been making the talk show rounds and spitting takes.

https://twitter.com/Sidelines_Bama/status/1356363601418870795

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The last thing that fat gently caress needs is access to quality barbecue.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Added TheBizzness to the dolphins enemies list

I’m sorry friend I just remember him getting run over on multiple 3rd and 3s that would have won the game if he made the tackle.

He was really good at everything that didn’t require making 1 on 1 tackles in the hole, though.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Zach Thomas came from an era where big named LBs got "tackles" for being within 10 feet of a ball carrier going down. Lewis, Urlacher, and others all got the same padded stats.

This argument but for every QB and WR from 2005 to now

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

FizFashizzle posted:

don’t fatshame “large” mac jones

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

I’m sorry friend I just remember him getting run over on multiple 3rd and 3s that would have won the game if he made the tackle.

He was really good at everything that didn’t require making 1 on 1 tackles in the hole, though.

Should’ve been moved to safety obviously

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

TheGreyGhost posted:

When Betz did his massive threads on Zach Thomas, it was the most seen I have ever felt about the Tuf Borland experience. "Hey, look at this extremely limited man who is very good at getting group tackles and nothing else".

He's not entirely wrong about Zach Thomas, but I think it's worth considering that it's a pretty successful defensive model if you can swing it.

The early 2000's metagame was all about putting space-eaters in front of an MLB with great play recognition and instincts and letting them cook. Zach Thomas might not belong in the HOF(I don't love hearing it but maybe it's true), but he was a legitimately very good player despite being poo poo physically.

It seems like it's basically impossible to be a great linebacker in 2021, and I wonder if the way the game has moved offensively the answer might just be to go back to that kind of stuff and keep things off of their plate. Denver out there has Josey Jewell looking pretty good, and meanwhile there's some very physically talented linebackers in the league just absolutely sucking poo poo because they're constantly in run/pass conflict with complicated reads against guys who are just better athletes than them.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

I'd call out your predilection for so calling athletes fat if you weren't so correct about everything Kelvin Benjamin.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Zach Thomas is the only MLB who’d get outrun by Brady but dude was smart as all hell and had insanely technique. Sadly not only slow, he was SO goddamn tiny. Even in real life the old school linebackers noticeably dwarfed him. Uncle John was like 6’2 225 but he made Thomas look like a high schooler so there’s that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mac Jones is somehow getting more hate than Herbert and is just as valid of a prospect

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fsif posted:

I'd call out your predilection for so calling athletes fat if you weren't so correct about everything Kelvin Benjamin.

https://twitter.com/FauxNFLnetwork/status/868151785285967872?s=20

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

That doesn’t seem particularly embarrassing considering how big that fella is.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

He starts cutting left and finishes it 15 feet later.

That's getting into blimp territory.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It's

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

that weird time of year where football commentators sound like dudes who publish guides on picking up women at bars

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

that weird time of year where football commentators sound like dudes who publish guides on picking up women at bars

I want that thicc bubble and cut physique.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1357374256175276036?s=20

Thought this was a solid article comparing Sewell and Slater

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If Penei sewell lasts longer than 4 rounds consults a physician.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jota posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1357374256175276036?s=20

Thought this was a solid article comparing Sewell and Slater

slater isn't going to drop to 20 is he. poo poo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mastershakeman posted:

slater isn't going to drop to 20 is he. poo poo

There's no way he gets past LA

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a neat cape posted:

There's no way he gets past LA

slater was supposed to stay a secret so he'd go from chicago's big ten team to chicago, this sucks! i was sending friends those ohio state highlights a while back (once it became clear how awesome chase young was ni the nfl) and we were all getting hyped

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Sewell's floor is pick 6, slater is mid teens. He could potentially get to pick 5 and not be picked by Cinci, but Chase would also have to be there at 5.

Honestly I'd be totally unsurprised if it went 1. Mr Ed 2. Sewell 3. Chase 4. Bourbon 5. Handgun

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if some blaine gabbert type kid really harmed you in the past, it is time to let go

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FizFashizzle posted:

Cavauro posted:

if some blaine gabbert type kid really harmed you in the past, it is time to let go

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't love this WR class. Chase and Smith will be good but I doubt they live up to their top ten draft spots. Rashod Bateman seems way overhyped. The way he moves and protects the ball with his body remind me of Keenan Allen. Problem is I think Keenan Allen is a totally unique guy who gets open with insane route running ability that Bateman doesn't have. I'd be interested in Amon-Ra St. Brown if he fell to the Ravens' 2nd round pick. Outside of him I don't see anyone Baltimore could get that would likely improve their passing game substantially next year. It is a deep class, especially for slot WRs, so maybe one of the late day 2/early day 3 guys comes alive in the NFL. Tylan Wallace, Amari Rodgers, and Demetic Felton all seem to have potential. Not that they'd meet that potential if drafted by Baltimore.

If Pitts somehow fell I'd love to trade up and get him. It's a risk, especially with the concussion, yet one well worth taking. He's a perfect fit for Lamar's style of play with his big radius, great hands, and competence sneaking into holes in zone defenses. You could even put him on the outside instead of Myles Boykin sometimes to get more legitimate pass catchers on the field. I even think Pitts has potential as a great 2nd level blocker. How high do y'all think Baltimore could move up offering this and next year's 1st round picks? My guess is Denver at #9 is the highest possible trading partner. I also don't think Eric Decosta would make that trade. Still, it's nice to dream sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Some injury news about the #1 pick.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1357794906589327363?s=20