Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I just realized that these guys are the ones who can deliver a truly worthy spiritual successor to total annihilation with new stuff

yes, this planet only makes cannons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Abx0r posted:

I completed my sphere with 20 rocket silos and 80? (I lost count) railguns.

Slaps the roof of dyson sphere, you could fit so many solars in this baby

Seriously what's the power you're getting on your planet like? Is this worth doing beyond just doing it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When you’re done you just build another shell.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

DelphiAegis posted:

Escape key works fine here. Though I agree, there should be some UI element to get out of that screen.

Weird, escape didn't work for me until I alt-tabbed back into the game from my last post.

Now I'm churning out logistic station, I'm relatively chuffed that I can feel my spaghetti mess of conveyors slowly disappearing.

I dunno if I'm going a bit overkill though as I'm essentially building a logistic station and a batch of assemblers/smelters building just one unit. It seems to be working well so far but will I hit any blocks doing things that way. Like power consumption or something?

Also, is there a way to access the items inside a logistics station? I needed the material I was pumping into one of them as an export but i couldn't figure out how to access it. I ended up building an additional storage container siphoning off of the conveyor leading into it but it feels like I'm just missing something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kin posted:

Also, is there a way to access the items inside a logistics station? I needed the material I was pumping into one of them as an export but i couldn't figure out how to access it. I ended up building an additional storage container siphoning off of the conveyor leading into it but it feels like I'm just missing something.

(right?)Click on the picture in the circle of the item you want to grab and it lets you take a set amount by dragging the bar around.

Edit: Also, if you're making things you need, you're good. You can always build more generators if you end up using too much power :science:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Single-production logistics systems don't look as visually impressive as belt maze hells but they do save a ton of time later and are much easier to expand throughput with.

Abx0r
Jan 12, 2007
Objection!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Slaps the roof of dyson sphere, you could fit so many solars in this baby

Seriously what's the power you're getting on your planet like? Is this worth doing beyond just doing it?

It generates 14.1 GW. I'm only tapping into 7GW of it, the majority of that power being used to generate strange particles so I can make tons of antimatter fuel rods and power artificial suns on any new planet outposts.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Abx0r posted:

It generates 14.1 GW. I'm only tapping into 7GW of it, the majority of that power being used to generate strange particles so I can make tons of antimatter fuel rods and power artificial suns on any new planet outposts.

OH poo poo. Ok that's well more power than my solar ring. Well that's something to strive for then, from what people were saying earlier with the power transmission issues and sail life etc seemed not worth it yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The final output is likely a fair bit less than that unless you research all of the transmission technologies.

Antimatter allows you to use significantly more of the power with fewer receivers but it is a more complicated setup and some of that cost is used in powering the particle colliders to make the antimatter from the sphere products. But it produces extremely high density endgame fuel that can then be sent elsewhere.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

they need thermal power. lava planets are just asking to be drained of their sweet molten candy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, thermal power works by the existence of a thermal gradient, if you try to build a steam turbine on a lava planet then you will boil the water once and you have just moved the planet slightly closer to being a sauna.

More unique planetary resources in general would be nice though, yes, thermal hotspots and so on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So what were the interplanetary/stellar scales again?

I remember 1 AU is really 40 Km but how long was one LY really?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably something like 100AU? You can probably test by seeing where it switches from ly to AU as you approach a star.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like the new options on the interstellar logistics station but I really wish it told you on average how far your routes are going so you can set the options appropriately.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, thermal power works by the existence of a thermal gradient, if you try to build a steam turbine on a lava planet then you will boil the water once and you have just moved the planet slightly closer to being a sauna.

More unique planetary resources in general would be nice though, yes, thermal hotspots and so on.

I think of it as the inhabitants of the DSP universe having figured out how to convert thermal energy directly into electrical energy without any silly 'gradients'.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

LifeSunDeath posted:

OH poo poo. Ok that's well more power than my solar ring. Well that's something to strive for then, from what people were saying earlier with the power transmission issues and sail life etc seemed not worth it yet.

You need at least one level of the node latitude tech and structure rockets running before you can get a fraction of that output. That said, I was running a similar number of rocket launchers and solar railguns by the end, and it still took something like 10 hours of them running to finish the sphere. Turns out there's actually a max # of guns you can run before you saturate the shell's ability to absorb sails, which I started to hit as structure sections became totally filled with sails.

My sphere's output was around 30 GW. My star was 1.001 luminosity, and the sphere's radius was around 18000. I didn't bother tapping it for power until the very very end since I had like 800 MW in fusion and other stuff going which was enough for everything until I started antimatter production.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Alkydere posted:

So what were the interplanetary/stellar scales again?

I remember 1 AU is really 40 Km but how long was one LY really?

code:
  public const double AU = 40000.0;
  public const double LY = 2400000.0;

Alkydere posted:

Hit ESC to bring up the menu. Where it says Cluster[number]-[number]-[number] is the seed information.

First number is the seed. Second is the number of star systems (since that does affect the generator). Third is...I dunno...maybe the system you start on if that becomes a feature?

Right now I'm on Cluster11264680-64-A10. Dual-moon system with fire-ice on the tundra planet.

Last field is resource multiplier.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

What's an ideal number of drones to put into a logistics station on average? Or is it wholly dependent on demand/supply?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've found 20 to be a good average for general manufacturing, especially with a bunch of upgrades. Definitely throw 50 (cap) in both supply and demand sides for your raw material smelting, though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Good to know. I've only been putting 10 in each at the moment to get a base level of transport going but when once I replace all my conveyors I'll scale up to 50 in each.

I don't wanna get too "ratios" but is there a good average number of smelters/assemblers to build per item they produce.

I've been building clumps of 9 taking inputs from one conveyor for neatness but other than the initial ores it seems like that's too many buildings for v1 conveyors and v2 grabbers.

I figured more can't hurt as long as they're getting the resource but presumably there'll be a cap of sorts before you end up with redundant buildings not getting anything from the conveyor.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The tooltips for the belts have their item/second rate (6/12/30) based on tier. With that said, for assemblers there's far too much variance in individual recipes and the different tiers of them work at different rates (.75x, 1x, 1.25x) which is why t2s are good for that mess. Smelters on the other hand are much easier and for most of your resources it's either a 1s - 1item smelt or a 2s - 2item smelt which means a t2 belt can fully saturate 12 smelters. There's a few smelts that don't follow those rules but the math is straightforward and the tooltips are very detailed.

Sorter math is bit weird as well though it really just boils down to using t2s for everything you don't need massive amounts otherwise use t3 which get stack upgrades.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 5, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mods are starting to roll in.

That larger delete area mod + more stars:
https://github.com/Touhma/DSP_Plugins/

Infinite resources (makes miners not subtract from nodes), different more stars, remove slow research nag, infinite dirt:
https://github.com/ragzilla/DSP_Mods

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

What I thought when I saw this system to start:
"Oh hey, double moon, gonna be super easy to get started because everything is right next door!"

Where all the titanium, you know the resource required for logistics, actually spawns:

:negative:

Making this commute before I have even the +speed upgrade takes forever. At least the desert will be an excellent location for massive chip factories.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Moving into the white cube science phase of the game, been bottlenecked on processors for a while and this might finally keep up with demand. Used so much silicon on transistor production that I'm having to get it sent in from other stars at this point.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Moving into the white cube science phase of the game, been bottlenecked on processors for a while and this might finally keep up with demand. Used so much silicon on transistor production that I'm having to get it sent in from other stars at this point.

The future where we get mad about our warperUPS not getting the new phones here from alpha centari on time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Do I have to have a logistics tower set to demand the warp nets in order for them to be delivered by another tower so they can restock, or will it they just recognize the need and send them over?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

IcePhoenix posted:

Do I have to have a logistics tower set to demand the warp nets in order for them to be delivered by another tower so they can restock, or will it they just recognize the need and send them over?

You’ll have to use up an item slot and demand them.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Han Nehi posted:

You’ll have to use up an item slot and demand them.

So if I want a tower to ship interstellar I can really only have 4 slots per tower?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
3, if you're importing power as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

So if I want a tower to ship interstellar I can really only have 4 slots per tower?

You can also belt them in, but yes if you want a logistical supply to all of them you need to set it up on each tower, which is a bit of a shame really.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Alkydere posted:

What I thought when I saw this system to start:
"Oh hey, double moon, gonna be super easy to get started because everything is right next door!"

Where all the titanium, you know the resource required for logistics, actually spawns:

:negative:

Making this commute before I have even the +speed upgrade takes forever. At least the desert will be an excellent location for massive chip factories.

My first seed was this exact scenario. I eventually wound up restarting, having your first titanium 4 AU away is such a pain in the dick.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

My first seed was this exact scenario. I eventually wound up restarting, having your first titanium 4 AU away is such a pain in the dick.

I've seen it ever so slightly upwards of 6 AU a couple of times. Usually on the flights where I realize I forgot something part way through :ugh: Honestly I've gotten over that hump but that was basically "ALT-Tab the commute". One of my first priorities was to get enough titanium alloy that both ends had 10/10 cargo ships.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
For all the peeps who keep losing track of where stuff is when they need to build something, I finally just planted a couple of Interstellar Logistics Towers at the junctions of the equator and prime meridian(s) in the middle of my solar belt that don't send anything out, but just demand constant stacks of 100-500 of poo poo you need to manually build or input like belts/sorters/drones/frigates/smelters/replicators/more logi towers, etc. Yeah, the whole planet's a sprawling mess, but at least I have what I need to keep constantly building and don't need to hunt all over the drat place to find which tower whatever I'm lacking is currently stored in. The number of towers that do this will probably increase, but they'll all be on the equator so at least I have the locations nailed down so I can sort through them quickly.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I unlock the ability to make warpers, craft a bunch and get ready to make the big jump to explore a new system.
Turns out my engine cant do it until I unlock 2-3 more techs. :(

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

You only need to import it on one tower, who can distribute it to the others with belts

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Finding the slow down button for space travel was a life saver when I missed a planet last night. I really should read the tutorial better.

Same with splitters, holy poo poo knowing they can filter makes builds so much easier.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

can anyone recommend a good seed? I think I'm done with this game. My supply chain has self destructed, I've drained the planet almost dry of silica, and my third planet is just trash.

So if anyone has a seed with good planets and maybe an ice giant so I can get some fire ice please let me know.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Not realizing how terrible your seed is until you're 20 hours into the game is really rough. I wish the map generator had some "difficulty" meter that estimated how much of a pain in the rear end your builds are going to be.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

Not realizing how terrible your seed is until you're 20 hours into the game is really rough. I wish the map generator had some "difficulty" meter that estimated how much of a pain in the rear end your builds are going to be.

Even if the system was good, I've hosed up enough that its time to restart anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Rush warp and have your pick of systems