Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That Shalai art is unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A Moose posted:

so they just chuck a praetor through the portal, all their organic components are destroyed, but the mechanical components and oil survives, so they just wait for something organic to wander by and use that to rebuild themselves? Seems kind of unwieldy as a mode of transportation

Hey, it beats Southwest

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
well, glad that was cleared up. i had a very goofy theory based on vorinclex's art, which looks to me like he's running away from something, that the phyrexians were on the run from another, even greater threat, but that would probably be too subtle to communicate through one card's art in isolation

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Now I kinda miss blocks, because I don't want to wait to see compleated gods, I wanna see what phyrexian Esika looks like!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

A Moose posted:

so they just chuck a praetor through the portal, all their organic components are destroyed, but the mechanical components and oil survives, so they just wait for something organic to wander by and use that to rebuild themselves? Seems kind of unwieldy as a mode of transportation

I took a concepting survey where squee became a planeswalker, was killed every time he did it, but revived right after cuz he's squee heh.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I was worried that they had brought Vorinclex back just to instantly kill him. I'm glad that's not the case.

Do I remember correctly that the black and red praetors got killed off in some book or something? That would be a shame. The red one especially was interesting.

A Moose posted:

I like that a lot. It's a handy way of enabling planar travel for non-planeswalkers in a way that only really benefits the Phyrexians, and it's very in-character for them to basically force themselves through a sieve and reconstitute themselves on the other side.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ariong posted:

I was worried that they had brought Vorinclex back just to instantly kill him. I'm glad that's not the case.

Do I remember correctly that the black and red praetors got killed off in some book or something? That would be a shame. The red one especially was interesting.

I like that a lot. It's a handy way of enabling planar travel for non-planeswalkers in a way that only really benefits the Phyrexians, and it's very in-character for them to basically force themselves through a sieve and reconstitute themselves on the other side.

Unknown if they are still alive or not. Elesh Norn destroyed a lot of Sheoldred's and Urabrask's forces, but they have not died on screen as it were.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Is there a best youtube story recap? Like from the beginning?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Epilogue from today's magic story explains Vorinclex. Looks like they got a planar bridge :allears:

It's also hinted that Tybalt is tainted by phyrexian oil.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Urabrask is way too interesting a character to die offscreen.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Framboise posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...VPHv9BFAFXxEsNA

Black History Month Secret Lair incoming, all with art done by Black artists. So far Shalai, Voice of Plenty and Ponder have been shown with 5 more to come.

I want that fuckin Ponder, gorgeous art.

Want that ponder

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bugsy posted:

Unknown if they are still alive or not. Elesh Norn destroyed a lot of Sheoldred's and Urabrask's forces, but they have not died on screen as it were.

No way they’re dead then. It would be super lame but I could see them dying in a tie-in novep. I couldn’t see them dying offscreen during a tie-in novel.

Then again this is the same universe where they got to Niv-Mizzet’s resurrection before realizing that they forgot to tell people he died so who knows.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Moose posted:

Yeah, but it's *puts on sunglasses* pretty fuckin metal

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I coulda sworn vorinclexs whole deal was that he could barely talk or think but maybe im misremembering over a decade ago lore

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
drat I get to re-use the same joke in both MTG threads today

mandatory lesbian posted:

I coulda sworn vorinclexs whole deal was that he could barely talk or think but maybe im misremembering over a decade ago lore

drat, Vorinclex posts in this thread???

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Epilogue from today's magic story explains Vorinclex. Looks like they got a planar bridge :allears:

So did Kaya not manage to kill him? Or did he regenerate somehow?

Framboise posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...VPHv9BFAFXxEsNA

Black History Month Secret Lair incoming, all with art done by Black artists. So far Shalai, Voice of Plenty and Ponder have been shown with 5 more to come.

I want that fuckin Ponder, gorgeous art.

Man that is some good loving art.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

Mat Cauthon posted:

So did Kaya not manage to kill him? Or did he regenerate somehow?

The only interaction K and V had was through the very first story chapter which ended with her damaging him, whereupon he dives into some weird Phyrexian metal covering part of the cave they are fighting in. He's been chronologically out of the story since then, though he's likely the Horrible Beast referred to in Tibalt's backstory chapter 3.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Time posted:

lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bugsy posted:

Elesh Norn destroyed a lot of Sheoldred's and Urabrask's forces, but they have not died on screen as it were.
Man having White be the insane purity bad-guy for once and red being the William Wallace-level 'freedom from tyranny' is just the best and it's a shame that WotC are cowards who won't make mono-W the story bad guy again. White is the color of fascism! :kratos:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
white has been the insane purity bad-guy more often than not for a long time now.

recent examples that spring to mind are zendikar, ikoria (although apparently lukka is supposed to be the bad guy for opposing fascism, which is very poorly expressed by one uncommon that nobody played even in limited), theros, ixalan, amonkhet, kaladesh, innistrad,

the only non-white villains we've had for the last five years or so are nicol bolas (whose followers are all over the place but generally not white), oko, and tibalt. i guess if you characterise the eldrazi as villains rather than forces of nature they count too. the part where nicol bolas was the most prominent villain for multiple blocks/sets helped disguise the part where every non-bolas bad guy during that time period was white

it's very refreshing to look at halvar in kaldheim, or linden on eldraine, and be like 'ah yes a white legendary creature who isn't an insane fascist'

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus christ this whole time I've been reading it as "vorniclex" and only just now realized the truth. What the gently caress

E: I literally read the entirety of kaya vs. vorinclex last week and didn't realize it. Only just now reading the posts about him and then going back and reading the card. I'm losing my mind here

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Klowner posted:

jesus christ this whole time I've been reading it as "vorniclex" and only just now realized the truth. What the gently caress

E: I literally read the entirety of kaya vs. vorinclex last week and didn't realize it. Only just now reading the posts about him and then going back and reading the card. I'm losing my mind here

How do you spell Berenstain Bears?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

The Shortest Path posted:

How do you spell Berenstain Bears?

2/2 for 2

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The Klowner posted:

This and being excessively long-winded are signs of Brian Gottleib syndrome. I'm afraid it's terminal.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

mandatory lesbian posted:

No, he's not bright, but he's not that dumb.

That being said, "mindless ferocity" is what he espouses as the ideal state of being.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Huxley posted:

What now? You mean the Neoform deck?

fadam posted:

I think Historic Splinter Twin is that Insect God combo deck that looks sick but also requires like fifty rares that don’t fit into any other deck.

Correct. I’ve really been enjoying this pile. I had a ..... lot of wildcards to waste

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 5, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I,m now Bronze Tier 3 with my dumb elf deck. :toot:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Is infernal reckoning from core 19 a card I should get a set of in preparation of the new tibalts trickery/eldrazi combo deck in modern?

B
Instant
Exile a colorless creature. Gain life equal to its power.

I feel like being a maniac and buying 100 on tcgplayer for 18 cents each.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The American Dream posted:

Is infernal reckoning from core 19 a card I should get a set of in preparation of the new tibalts trickery/eldrazi combo deck in modern?

B
Instant
Exile a colorless creature. Gain life equal to its power.

I feel like being a maniac and buying 100 on tcgplayer for 18 cents each.

speculation on cards sucks, speculation on a card with such an extremely specific purpose that has like a hundred better options in its exact place in modern is real bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
$18 all-up is a pretty cheap lesson tbh, certainly much cheaper than buying GME for several hundred dollars each.

You won't make any money on them though, if that's what you're asking.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Besides path to exile what are the good non counterspell answers?

I’ll buy a set this weekend since I’d rather spend a quarter each now instead of $2-$3 if it sees sideboard play in a month.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Thoughtseize.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Walked posted:

MTGO.

Anzi streamed a cascade Valki list and it's all over right now in legacy
And then Modern is some combination of Valki cascade (d00mwake's list) and Tibalt's Trickery.

It's hilarious

They 100% gonna rule change cascade-mdfc interaction (just like with splits) because bloodbraid into big tybalt is stupid

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
They should tbh. It's silly and counterintuitive.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The Kaya art that presumably will go on a card in the Black Is Magic collection looks great, first time I feel like her original outfit looked better than her Orzhov Guildmaster one. Guess it will be for her original Conspiracy card, or for her Guile or Wrath.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Time posted:

drat I get to re-use the same joke in both MTG threads today

Wow ive been owned

The Lord of Hats posted:

No, he's not bright, but he's not that dumb.

That being said, "mindless ferocity" is what he espouses as the ideal state of being.

Ah, that must have been where my confusion lay. I actually like that, hes talking up a philosophy he doesnt follow, that feels right for phyrexia

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Vorinclex's deal is achieving perfection via survival of the fittest. If I'm strong enough to eat you, then unless you can prove yourself useful to me I am going to eat you. Repeat until I have an army of loyal apex predators.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Infernal Reckoning can't target Emrakul

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Froghammer posted:

Vorinclex's deal is achieving perfection via survival of the fittest. If I'm strong enough to eat you, then unless you can prove yourself useful to me I am going to eat you. Repeat until I have an army of loyal apex predators.
All the praetors are basically the dark side of the colors, except Urabrask, who is too cool for school.

What's odd is Vorinclex sounds way more reasonable than the complete green insanity of Garruk or Vivien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Boco_T posted:

Infernal Reckoning can't target Emrakul

Emrakul also gives them another turn, there's little beating it.